• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
What are you talking about? This isn't combat or wuxia duels.

He has been training with that pole for years and years and somehow cannot perform this one move that could prevent him from being a full monk and only accomplishes days before his trials? C'mon...
The narrative of the video or the actual process?
The narrative, not the actual trials. It just seemed like the drama was ratcheted up.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
He has been training with that pole for years and years and somehow cannot perform this one move that could prevent him from being a full monk and only accomplishes days before his trials? C'mon...

The narrative, not the actual trials. It just seemed like the drama was ratcheted up.

They sorta hammed it up with the video but I guess it was because of how short it was. I would love to see 2 hours of a deep dive.

Oct 30, 2017
Also, I watched the video yesterday and enjoyed it regardless of my nitpicking. It takes immense dedication to do what these people commit their lives to.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i watched this the other day. It is amazing to see nicely shot tumbling runs and martial arts demonstrations, especially on stone.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
thread title had me like

latest

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Idk why the MMA vs Shaolin Argument even exists. The best fighters in China are the ones who go to go sports academies.

The main purpose of Shaolin isnt to fight

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Modern day martial arts is an artform. As a sport all of them boil down to grappling which while very effective is boring as fuck to watch.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
The kid in me so wanted him to be awarded blue arrow tattoos and his own Momo for passing the test. He earned them after 11 years of training.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How did this turn into a "kung fu versus MMA" discussion? Did those posters even watch the video?
FWIW, every single amateur boxer and mma person I met in China (I used to work out at a boxing gym) hated the guts out of all those people, and especially shaolin, and if you show that video to them they will 100% make it about that immediately.

In fact, some of them already posted rants about this video.

Though obviously, this is all anecdotal.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Chinese propaganda movies where they put Kung Fu against all the world's fighting styles and they triumph over the world using quick half extended pokes with the tips of their fingers extended fingers. I've seen at least 3 films about this. I can remember the name of one, though: Ip Man 2.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love the Chinese propaganda movies where they put Kung Fu against all the world's fighting styles and they triumph over the world using quick half extended pokes with the tips of their fingers extended fingers. I've seen at least 3 films about this. I can remember the name of one, though: Ip Man 2.
You couldn't remember Ip Man 1?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You couldn't remember Ip Man 1?

Ip Man 1 is indeed a propaganda film where Kung Fu takes on Japanese martial arts, but I'm talking more narrowly than that. It's literally "We have fighters from all around the world vs. Kung Fu in a tournament" as the premise and I've seen 3 of them. Another one was with a big Kung Fu celebrity from the 90's, I want to say Jet Li.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ip Man 1 is indeed a propaganda film where Kung Fu takes on Japanese martial arts, but I'm talking more narrowly than that. It's literally "We have fighters from all around the world vs. Kung Fu in a tournament" as the premise and I've seen 3 of them. Another one was with a big Kung Fu celebrity from the 90's, I want to say Jet Li.
And what about American action flicks about shooting up the equivalent of village? Efficacy is the least of the concern.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Except there isn't a tournament with fighters from all around the world in any of Ip Man films. There is one boxer guy in the second and Mike Tyson in the third.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And what about American action flicks about shooting up the equivalent of village? Efficacy is the least of the concern.

Well, it's definitely a movie. Real sword fighting, for example, was nothing like it is portrayed in film. Likewise, most Kung Fu you see in films is fantasy ballet rather than a depiction of a practical fighting.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's definitely a movie. Real sword fighting, for example, was nothing like it is portrayed in film. Likewise, most Kung Fu you see in films is fantasy ballet rather than a depiction of a practical fighting.
Okay that's great. That's the point. Martial arts is deeply submerged with self improvement. That doesn't necessarily mean 'how to strangle a dude really good'.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except there isn't a tournament with fighters from all around the world in any of Ip Man films. There is one boxer guy in the second and Mike Tyson in the third.

My bad, I think you are right. It's just one British Guy. I saw it once like 8 years ago and that was enough for me. Utter trash compared to Ip Man 1. I am conflating it with a film where there were all sorts of wacky fighters, like a German Spear Fighter. Didn't know Germans were known for spear fighting, but it serves the narrative.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is hardly a exclusive to Asian martial arts films unless I was wrong and Blood Sport was a documentary.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Fearless

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay that's great. That's the point. Martial arts is deeply submerged with self improvement. That doesn't necessarily mean 'how to strangle a dude really good'.

True, but to be fair they are also depicting it as a practical fighting style in these films, which is a bit dicey. I get it, it's not really about Kung Fu vs. Karate/boxing as much as it's about Chinese cultural values vs. Japanese/Western. I think in reality, historical Ip Man vs. a heavy weight pro boxer would be bad news. Real bad news. Anything's possible, but...

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
True, but to be fair they are also depicting it as a practical fighting style in these films, which is a bit dicey. I get it, it's not really about Kung Fu vs. Karate/boxing as much as it's about Chinese cultural values vs. Japanese/Western. I think in reality, historical Ip Man vs. a heavy weight pro boxer would be bad news. Real bad news. Anything's possible, but...
Once again, it's a movie. You really think a 90min show of Donnie Yen would be worth printing?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hardly a exclusive to Asian martial arts films unless I was wrong and Blood Sport was a documentary.

Why sure. Any film that wants to reinforce Nationalist sentiment at the expense of telling an accurate story can fall into this pitfall. Ip Man was slick because they lied about why he left China. Said he was running away from the Japanese but he actually left to escape Communism. I don't have to tell you that there are a million 'based on true story' movies like this that shift facts in order to paint a more politically useful portrait of a person. For example, that film about Columbus that came out in the 90's. Made him look like a real peach.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Idk why the MMA vs Shaolin Argument even exists. The best fighters in China are the ones who go to go sports academies.

The main purpose of Shaolin isnt to fight

Indeed, it says so in the first 30 seconds of th BBC clip, "For these students, Kung fu isn't just a martial arts, it is a spiritual practice."

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why sure. Any film that wants to reinforce Nationalist sentiment at the expense of telling an accurate story can fall into this pitfall. Ip Man was slick because they lied about why he left China. Said he was running away from the Japanese but he actually left to escape Communism. I don't have to tell you that there are a million 'based on true story' movies like this that shift facts in order to paint a more politically useful portrait of a person. For example, that film about Columbus that came out in the 90's. Made him look like a real peach.

I'm talking about the fighting aspect, not the propaganda. Maybe I should used Commando as my facetious example.