• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
www.bbc.com

Covid-19: Chinese woman stuck in lockdown with blind date

A swift lockdown in China’s Zhengzhou means a woman is stuck at her date’s house.

(Ms. Wang) said that she had recently returned to the city of Zhengzhou from Guangzhou ahead of the Lunar New Year.
"I'm getting quite old, so my parents arranged more than 10 blind dates for me," she said in this post. She wrote that her fifth date had said "he was good at cooking, and invited me to his house so he could cook a meal".
However, during the meal, she discovered that her date's community had gone into swift lockdown due to cases of Covid-19, and ended up being unable to leave his house for several days.
Ms Wang told media on Sunday that she had been stuck for four days at her date's house, and that the situation was "not ideal".

However, she said that her date had cooked every day for her while they were stranded together.

She added though that "he doesn't speak much".

It is unclear whether she still remains stuck at her date's house. However, cases of Covid-19 have persisted in Zhengzhou in recent days.
There have been more than 100 cases of Covid-19 in Zhengzhou over the past week, the Global Times newspaper reports.
Non-essential businesses were ordered to close on Tuesday in the city, and there have been large-scale Covid-19 testing drives rolled out to test the city's 12.6 million residents for any "silent" Covid-19 carriers.

It's a short article so I quoted most of it. Would be a total nightmare for me, whether I'm the guest or the host.

In other English-language coverage, from The Guardian, they translated some of her comments to a Shanghai-based newspaper:

"Besides the fact he's as mute as a wooden mannequin, everything else [about him] is pretty good," Wang told the Paper on Tuesday. "Despite his food being mediocre, he's still willing to cook, which I think is great."

Although Wang did not seem to complain about the experience, the prolonged lockdown has not caused romance to bloom.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
She doesn't look that old from her pics despite what she aid about getting old. But there could be high societal pressure to get married and have kids young.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
"Besides the fact he's as mute as a wooden mannequin, everything else [about him] is pretty good," Wang told the Paper on Tuesday. "Despite his food being mediocre, he's still willing to cook, which I think is great."

LOL!

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I think my date calling me a wooden mannequin on social media and then the international news would be far more traumatizing than being ghosted just the once, thanks.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine if her date was an Era member
"Okay so I'm gonna explain to why Rise of Skywalker is a masterpiece and why peeing in the shower is acceptable behavior. Oh and have you heard about BoTW yet?"

cover4.jpg

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
She doesn't look that old from her pics despite what she aid about getting old. But there could be high societal pressure to get married and have kids young.
Coincidentally from what I understand last year on wechat every other week there was a "viral" story/event/social media challenge that had married couples showing off how great married life is. Shit was so not subtle even I noticed it. And I only use barely useable translation apps to browse the stuff lol.

Also my god I read the article and this girl needs to chill lol. Dude got shit on like a porta potty at warped tour

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Racist Joke
Ms. Wang ...
Huh...

Yes I know it's a perfectly normal last name but my brain still has some middle school left in it

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A bit weird that it seems like only she was interviewed

I think my date calling me a wooden mannequin on social media and then the international news would be far more traumatizing than being ghosted just the once, thanks.

Even called his food mediocre, the one thing the guy seems to be proud of

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
someone is already turning this into a romantic comedy starring chris pratt and jennifer lawrence, where the twist is that pratt had a buddy in the government who faked a lockdown for pratt to trap lawrence at his house.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
someone is already turning this into a romantic comedy starring chris pratt and jennifer lawrence, where the twist is that pratt had a buddy in the government who faked a lockdown for pratt to trap lawrence at his house.
I was 100% going to suggest that this will likely be a comedy at some point.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know but is this part of Chinese culture to speak without a filter? She was fucking savage calling that man's cuisine mediocre. Or is the translation not accurate?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this isn't already a movie or streaming show plot.

It seems so obvious in hindsight.

Get Gary Whitta on the script, stat!

Oct 27, 2017

LOL!

Somehow I don't see this working out lmao

But wow, she said that to a newspaper. Dude's gonna find out one day and be a sad panda.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The picture that shows her face is heavily filtered so she could honestly be either 20 or 50 years old🤷‍♂️

Power of video filters.

I don't know but is this part of Chinese culture to speak without a filter? She was fucking savage calling that man's cuisine mediocre. Or is the translation not accurate?

I'm not China Chinese but Singaporean Chinese and I just want to say that we Chinese can be quite curt and direct at times.

For example, it's customary to visit relatives during Chinese New Year and there will always be that relative or friend who will say these things straight to your face:

"Why are you so fat!? Let me tell you how my son lost weight last year."

"Still stuck in your $5k a month job? Your cousin is now making $10k a month and he is 5 years younger than you."

"Got married but still no children? So and so got married last year and already gave birth to twins!"

Typical examples:

www.shopback.my

Top 8 Awkward CNY Questions and How to Answer Them

Not sure how to answer awkward questions from nosy relatives this Chinese New Year? Read our guide to find out!

Last edited: