• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-47063973?__twitter_impression=true
Colonisation of the Americas at the end of the 15th Century killed so many people, it disturbed Earth's climate.
That's the conclusion of scientists from University College London, UK.
The team says the disruption that followed European settlement led to a huge swathe of abandoned agricultural land being reclaimed by fast-growing trees and other vegetation.
This pulled down enough carbon dioxide (CO₂) from the atmosphere to eventually chill the planet.
It's a cooling period often referred to in the history books as the "Little Ice Age" - a time when winters in Europe would see the Thames in London regularly freeze over.
"The Great Dying of the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas led to the abandonment of enough cleared land that the resulting terrestrial carbon uptake had a detectable impact on both atmospheric CO₂ and global surface air temperatures," Alexander Koch and colleagues write in their paper published in Quaternary Science Reviews .

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's a good job Trump doesn't believe in climate change because this is probably the next thing he'd suggest

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't let trump see this ffs, that would be some thanos way to combat global warming.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is all we need, people waving this around to put a positive spin on ethnic cleansing.

But at least I learned that we're in the process of defining a new geological epoch, "Anthropocene", as geology records will likely live on for a long time to show how our presence has irrevocably changed the Earth in such a minimal period of time compared to the holocene epoch where we lived significantly more harmoniously with nature by comparison to the last 50 years.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
millions of people died or were enslaved with the indirect positive being that global warming could be staved off....but as a result of our current actions, millions of people will still die as a result of global warming... So was it worth it in the end? yeah...my ancestors and the natives definitely don't think so

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This could be the next popular cliché villain plot of your 08/15 science fiction story:
"Do you wanna kill all those people because of overpopulation?"
"No, what nonsense! The population goes down, because people need less children, thanks to better medicine, services, infrastructure and machines!"
"So … why do you still wanna kill so many people?!"
"BECAUSE OF CLIMATE CHANGE!"
*dumm dumm dumm dummmmmmmmmmm*

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what would happen if we experimentally withdraw civilization from heavily urbanized city like NY (or Tokyo, Shanghai, Mexico City or whatever), and let natural erosion and mother nature take over. How long it would take a city to become forest indistinguishable from natural ones?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
This could be the next popular cliché villain plot of your 08/15 science fiction story:
"No, what nonsense! The population goes down, because people need less children, thanks to better medicine, services, infrastructure and machines!"
"Actually, I want to kill people because that girl who looked at me once died"

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017

I think it is text book cliché for villains. There are so many bad guys in fiction who aren't really bad.. they just love nature too much to the point they'd exterminate human civilization.

Status
Not open for further replies.