• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Witch-tier OT title.

I've played Revengeance and loved the combat -- the constant wait->parry->counter gameplay loop was lovely -- but I found Nier Automata's combat to be incredibly boring and trivial; I saw no clear avenues to improvement at all, and the near-infinite health-items you're allowed to carry, remove all the tension.

Can anyone advise me about Bayonetta's combat? With the above experiences, do you think I'd like it?

It's way better than Neirs. Bayonetta is Neir x 100 with more freedom

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck man, they really made Bayo 2 $50 standalone?

Christ, guess I'm gonna own a fourth copy of Bayonetta 1.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
sorry monster hunter but it looks like you're gonna take a break this coming week, I need to beat the bayonetta series for the eighth time

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Anyone who reads Japanese able to tell me if the Bayonetta 1 link on the Japanese e-Shop is for PRELOAD or is live RIGHT now? Also any idea if the JPN version has english?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Witch-tier OT title.

I've played Revengeance and loved the combat -- the constant wait->parry->counter gameplay loop was lovely -- but I found Nier Automata's combat to be incredibly boring and trivial; I saw no clear avenues to improvement at all, and the near-infinite health-items you're allowed to carry, remove all the tension.

Can anyone advise me about Bayonetta's combat? With the above experiences, do you think I'd like it?
It's a big improvement depth-wise over Automata's. I think Platinum made the right choice by making combat in Nier less complex so as not to take away from the main focus of the game, but they might have gone a little too far... Bayo is a perfectionist's dream, with wonderful depth, secrets, and a high skill ceiling if you want to chase all the Pure Platinum ratings.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Witch-tier OT title.

The reason Nier Automata's combat was boring and trivial was because the game was meant to be an RPG. They didn't want to gate people who aren't competent action gamers and so you can easily out-power or use items/equips/etc to get through anything without much challenge.

The difference between that and Bayo is that Bayo is made solely in the service of its own combat. Enemies and challenges are built directly to take advantage of the combat system and force you to use it correctly, which makes it a much better experience from a purely combat perspective.

Nier gives you the tools a platinum action game generally gives you, but Bayo IS a platinum action game, so you'll surely have an experience closer to Revengeance than Nier

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an option to replay individual verses in Bayonetta 2?

There is not. But the game does have Tag Climax, which lets you play fights with a partner (either another human or CPU), and some of those fights are direct copies of Verses in the main game.

Witch-tier OT title.

Health recovery is much more limited in Bayonetta (and it punishes your score in the first game).

Additionally, Bayonetta's "combat loop" is a lot closer to what you describe for Revengeance. A typical fight sequence might be Attack -> Dodge -> WITCH TIME! -> Attack -> WICKED WEAVE! -> Air Combo -> WICKED WEAVE!. The combat system gives you "mini-objectives" to aim for that guide your actions and reward player skill (similar to Parrying in Revengeance), whereas the combat in Nier: Automata is much more static and mash-y.

And once you've got the basic combat loop down, you can start supplementing it with techniques like Dodge Offset and Beast Within that let you push the bounds of your creativity.

Last edited:

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know how much it costs to purchase both on the eShop in the UK, shit just says "If you purchase the Nintendo Switch version of Bayonetta from Nintendo eShop, you can get a discount on Bayonetta 2." like what the heck is that supposed to mean? 10p off? £10 off? Why not just say how much it costs for both, idiots,
maybe I'm the idiot!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how much it costs to purchase both on the eShop in the UK, shit just says "If you purchase the Nintendo Switch version of Bayonetta from Nintendo eShop, you can get a discount on Bayonetta 2." like what the heck is that supposed to mean? 10p off? £10 off? Why not just say how much it costs for both, idiots,
maybe I'm the idiot!
What's the typical price for a first party release on the UK eShop? Whatever it is, that's how much buying both will come up to.

For instance, on the US eShop, Bayo 2 is $49.99. When I bought it, Bayo 1 dropped to $9.99

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Wow thats awesome! Love the changing portraits :^)
A question can you use any Amiibo to get Halos? I only have a FE one

kirby2096

Oct 29, 2017
maybe I'm the idiot!
Bayonetta (Nintendo, €10.00 / £10.00 for purchasers of Bayonetta 2 on the Nintendo eShop Regular price €29.99 / £24.99)
Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo, €30.00 / £25.00 for purchasers of Bayonetta on the Nintendo eShop Regular price €49.99 / £39.99)
So £49.99 if you buy both.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
What's the typical price for a first party release on the UK eShop? Whatever it is, that's how much buying both will come up to.

For instance, on the US eShop, Bayo 2 is $49.99. When I bought it, Bayo 1 dropped to $9.99
Bayonetta (Nintendo, €10.00 / £10.00 for purchasers of Bayonetta 2 on the Nintendo eShop Regular price €29.99 / £24.99)
Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo, €30.00 / £25.00 for purchasers of Bayonetta on the Nintendo eShop Regular price €49.99 / £39.99)
So £49.99 if you buy both.
Thanks, I thought it was going to be £60 for both and I was about to go off on one.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I wish they released this as a Bayonetta collection, with a Bayonetta collection cover/spineart rather than Bayo 2. .

Does anyone know if the PAL version has a reversible cover?
I too. But it seems like not every version has Bayo 1download code so the product is actually Bayonetta 2 plus one just like on Wii U.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
My copy is just sat next to me... can't redeem the Bayo 1 code yet and I want to replay that before playing 2. So I'll try redeeming the code again at around midnight I think.

I wish they released this as a Bayonetta collection, with a Bayonetta collection cover/spineart rather than Bayo 2. .

Does anyone know if the PAL version has a reversible cover?

It does, the reverse of the cover is the classic Bayo 1 box art.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
B2 is the best action game ever made. Basically like a new game for me since I'm never going to pick up a Wii U again.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
My body is ready to double dip! Wish I could get an early copy today and play, tomorrow is gonna be a busy day for me.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who reads Japanese able to tell me if the Bayonetta 1 link on the Japanese e-Shop is for PRELOAD or is live RIGHT now? Also any idea if the JPN version has english?
The American and European links have Japanese language support, it'd be crazy for Japan to get a separate version that'd remove the English. So you're save to preload :)

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
It's way better than Neirs. Bayonetta is Neir x 100 with more freedom

It's a big improvement depth-wise over Automata's. I think Platinum made the right choice by making combat in Nier less complex so as not to take away from the main focus of the game, but they might have gone a little too far... Bayo is a perfectionist's dream, with wonderful depth, secrets, and a high skill ceiling if you want to chase all the Pure Platinum ratings.

The reason Nier Automata's combat was boring and trivial was because the game was meant to be an RPG. They didn't want to gate people who aren't competent action gamers and so you can easily out-power or use items/equips/etc to get through anything without much challenge.

The difference between that and Bayo is that Bayo is made solely in the service of its own combat. Enemies and challenges are built directly to take advantage of the combat system and force you to use it correctly, which makes it a much better experience from a purely combat perspective.

Nier gives you the tools a platinum action game generally gives you, but Bayo IS a platinum action game, so you'll surely have an experience closer to Revengeance than Nier

Brilliant, thanks everyone! I don't have a Switch (yet) but I guess I'll have to buy the PC version soon :)

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing OT and title! Only the best for the best witch.

I'm not grabbing it just yet, as I played Bayo 2 to death on WiiU, I just have to wait for dat 5$ price drop in a couple of years.

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I'm very jealous of

a) anyone playing this for the first time

b) anyone playing this at all
This will be my first time finishing Bayonetta, and playing ANY of Bayonetta 2, and I cannot even describe how excited I am for this! I am gonna take my sweet time with both titles and really enjoy my first time through.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Asked for this for my birthday from the Mrs. My Birthday isn't until the 28th - what have I done :(

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god I really want that climax edition with both physical copies.....but it's really expensive

but I want it

fuck

DrMario

Oct 27, 2017
SWEET:
My copy from Best Buy arrived a day early

BUMMER:
The Bayonetta 1 code doesn't work yet.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After having no luck getting the Climax Edition I am really deflated on picking this up with Bayonetta 1 being digital only.

Probably won't until a sale given that big omission.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
I've played Revengeance and loved the combat -- the constant wait->parry->counter gameplay loop was lovely...
Can anyone advise me about Bayonetta's combat?
That loop is MGR teaching players bad habits to wait for counter-able attacks instead of you know -- actually fighting.

Bayonetta actually allows to play like that... in the beginning. Then training wheels do come off eventually and the game's meta will speed way past MGR's shallow waters.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I think I'm gonna stick to getting the game physically tomorrow, there's just something appealing about having Bayonetta 2 on a cartridge. Will be jealous tonight when people start playing though.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
As happy as I am to have secured my pre-order (assuming my order is fulfilled from Amazon Japan and not cancelled), I feel bad for those that missed out on the Climax Edition. It sucks that there's only (apparently) going to be a single printing too, so the price will only go up. :/

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I am beyond excited to play this tonight and spend the weekend with Bayonetta - it is one of my favourite games of all time. And this is coming from someone who played the PS3 version to death.

I preordered the switch a week after that teaser image was posted and was so delighted when the two got announced along with bayo 3 - you could say it is quite a climactic moment for me as a Switch owner.

Oct 25, 2017
If you buy physical US isn't Bayo 1 a digital code? Wonder if there will be a bunch of Bayo 1 codes on the cheap for sale online