• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta12Banner2.png
*Best viewed in dark theme! Huge thanks to Fang for images and Splendy for helping out + thread title!*

SigilRelease2.png

Developer: PlatinumGames
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: February 16, 2018 (NA/PAL) | February 17, 2018 (JPN)
Genre: Character Action
Multiplayer: Yes
Pro Controller Compatible: Yes
amiibo: Yes
eShop Download Size: 8.5GB (Bayonetta) / 12.4GB (Bayonetta 2)
Languages: Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian
Official Site: North America | Japan | Europe

SigilAbout2.png

Plot.png

Bayonetta
A woman wakes up in a coffin at the bottom of a lake, with no memory of who or what she is.

After remembering her name and her ability to summon demons, Bayonetta travels through the remote city of Vigrid while staving off the armies of Paradiso and uncovering the truth of her long-lost past.

Bayonetta 2
Angels suddenly appear on the streets and begin to attack. Bayonetta tries to fight back using her powers, but the demon she summons turns against her! Jeanne saves Bayonetta during the battle, but gets dragged down to Inferno.

Now Jeanne's soul is in danger, and there's not much time left to save it. Bayonetta must find a door to the spirit world. But what awaits her there?

Bayonetta1.png
Bayonetta2.png

Bayonetta
Bayonetta is a mysterious witch who has awoken in the modern world after sleeping for hundreds of years.
She uses her unmatched magical powers to fight the servants of heaven—but the reason for their fight, as well as everything else about her, remains shrouded in mystery.
She is a master of the Bullet Arts style of combat, using melee attacks along with the four guns equipped on her arms and legs. With her Wicked Weave attacks, she can manipulate her hair to summon Infernal Demons that devour her enemies.

Jeanne.gif

Jeanne
This mysterious woman fights and uses magic just like Bayonetta, and seems to appear out of nowhere. She rivals Bayonetta in magic power, and displays incredible proficiency in the Bullet Arts with her jet black All-4-One guns.

Enzo.gif

Enzo
Enzo's ears are sharp enough to pick up a rumor from miles away; his nose leads him to wherever he might make a buck.

Rodin.gif

Rodin
Rodin is the owner of the Gates of Hell, a back-alley bar frequented by the city's least trustworthy citizens; he is secretly a master weapons maker who supplies Bayonetta with the firepower she needs.

Luka.gif

Luka
A freelance journalist driven by his passion for the truth, Luka will travel to the ends of the world for a story—invited or not.

Cereza.png

Cereza
This mysterious young girl lost on the streets of the far-flung European town Vigrid. For some reason she appears and starts calling Bayonetta "mommy."

Balder.png

Balder
The chief executive of the Izavale Group, a massive organization based in Vigrid that uses its impressive capital to fund city planning projects. Rumor has it he's also a collector of strange and precious metals.

Loki.png

Loki
A mysterious youth Bayonetta encounters in Noatun, Loki is able to travel between this world and Purgatorio, an alternate dimension normally invisible to humans.

MaskedLumen.png

Masked Lumen
A masked man whose frequent run-ins with Bayonetta seem to be more than just coincidence. He is far more powerful than a typical human, but who he is remains unknown.

Gameplay.png

Freestyle Combat: Combat is a fluid mix of melee attacks and gunplay known as Bullet Arts.
Witch Time: Control time to set up a counterattack. Dodge enemy attacks at the last second to make time slow down around you—leaving the enemy wide open.
Torture Attacks: Punish enemies with torture devices. Throw foes into devices that were once used in witch hunts, including the Guillotine, Wheel of Rirture, and Bear Trap.
Wicked Weaves: Summon Infernal Demons to demolish enemies. Bayonetta can use her own hair as a conduit for summoning demons. Use this in a combo attack for a devastating blow.
Infernal Weaves: Fight powerful foes with Infernal Demons. Bayonetta can use this more powerful version of a Wicked Weave to summon a monstrous demon to destroy strong enemies. It's the ultimate finishing move.
Umbran Climax*: Unleash a barrage of devastating summon attacks. By releasing all of Bayonetta's charged magical power, she can summon unlimited Wicked Weaves for a limited time. This powerful attack can take out many enemies at once.
Tag Climax Mode*: Multiplayer mode that can now be played locally in addition to online.
* exclusive to Bayonetta 2

Weapons

Bayo1Guns.png
Bayo1Shotgun.png
Bayo1Claws.png
Bayo1Killgore.png

Bayo2Gun.png
Bayo2DualSwods.png
Bayo2Bow.png
Bayo2Scythe.png

Scarborough Fair: A set of Bayonetta's iconic pistols. One of the default weapons from the first game, these set of 4 pistols beget both form and function.
Onyx Roses: Sometimes an Umbral Witch requires a closer touch. These sawed off shotguns allow for just that, with a higher stun value and powreful buckshot at its disposal.
Durga: A pair of gauntlets that channel the powers of both fire and lightning. With two modes, the slow and powerful fire form and the quick but weak electric form, the Durga allow for quite a versitile moveset
Lt. Col. Killgore: Slow but strong is the name of the game when you have rocket launchers attached to your outer extremities. You won't find higher damage from a ranged weapon than from the Lt. Col.
Love is Blue: A set of 4 azure pistols each with their own unique names, Prelude, Minuet, Toccata and Nocturne. The pistols also serve as a way for Bayonetta to summon her Wicked Weaves to punish those who would stand in her way.
Rakshasa: A set of curved indian swords, the Rakshasa can be equipped either on Bayonetta's hands or feet allowing for more variety in her loadout.
Kafka: A bow and arrow that lets Bayonetta play the role of Robin hood. The Kafka not only shoots arrows, but dragonflies and other bugs to pester and poison enemies.
Chernobog: A Scythe with not one, or two, but three blades! These blades dont have to stay stationary though, as they can be shot out during a combo by holding down the attack button.

Beast Within

BeastWithin.gif

Bayonetta can use Beast Within to transform into various creatures to accomplish certain feats she can't do as herself.

Panther Within: What better way to locomote than running around as a panther? Having access to both a long jump and a double jump, Panther Within allows Bayonetta to hit the ground running.
Crow Within: Bayonetta takes flight as a black feather avian, able to fly long distances and fire feathers to pester foes from above. However, she can't maintain this form forever so keep an eye on the gauge or you may find yourself falling somewhere you would rather not land.
Bat Within: Bayonetta is not one to be satisfied with simply sidestepping to avoid an attack, rather, she opts to turn into a swarm of bats whenever dodging at the last minute, allowing her to avoid damage and activate Witch Time upon reforming.
Snake Within*: Sometimes Bayonetta finds herself immersed in water, and as we all know cats hate a bath, so rather than using Panther within Bayonetta opt for Snake Within allowing her to navigate quickly underwater.
* exclusive to Bayonetta 2

SigilMedia.png
Videos
Launch trailer:

Bayonetta 2 Direct (Wii U):

Screenshots
Bayonetta
: https://gematsu.com/gallery/bayonetta/january-30-2018/
Bayonetta 2: https://gematsu.com/gallery/bayonetta-2/january-30-2018/

SigilReception.png
Metacritic: 91
Review Thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/bayonetta-1-2-switch-review-thread.23259/

Trusted Reviews: 9/10
Being able to play two of Platinum Games' finest efforts whenever you like is hugely appealing, and the abundance of content on offer here only makes it even better. It's somewhat disheartening that neither game has received any significant improvements beyond amiibo support and slightly better performance, especially since the Switch has proven it's capable of far more.
IGN: 9/10
The framerate improvements alone make it a better experience than the Wii U version, and the amiibo-activated costumes at least put a fun spin on it even if there's no substantial new content for returning players. It's disappointing that the Switch version can't manage more than 720p on a big screen, but with that said, Bayonetta 2's fantastic art style holds up well.
Switch Player: 9/10
Bayonetta is a stellar action-adventure game oozing with style and substance from start to finish. Newcomers may be put off by the portrayal of its title character, and the visuals are definitely starting to show their age, but the gameplay remains consistently brilliant throughout. A must-buy.

SigilBonusContent2.png
Bayonetta Non-Stop Climax Edition
1512756074_screen_shot_2017-12-08_at_9.29.22_am.jpg

• SteelBook
  • Sticker Sheets
  • Verse Cards
  • Physical copy of Bayonetta 1 (JP only)

amiibo
Scan up to 32 amiibo a day to get lollipops and halos! You will get Halos and 4 of these items chosen at random:
  • 2,000 – 32,000 Halos (different each time)
  • Red Hot Shot
  • Mega Purple Magic Lollipop
  • Midas's Testament
  • Purple Magic Lollipop
  • Green Herb Lollipop
  • Yellow Moon Lollipop
  • Mandragora Root
  • Baked Gecko
  • Mega Yellow Moon Lollipop
  • Bloody Rose Lollipop
  • Mega Bloody Rose Lollipop
  • Unicorn Horn
  • Mega Green Herb Lollipop
Additionally, the following amiibo unlock special costumes and items:
  • Bayonetta - Player 1 (Super Smash Bros. series): Unlocks all Super Mirror 2 costumes (Schoolgirl, Metal Witch, Police Woman, Dress A + B)
  • Bayonetta - Player 2 (Super Smash Bros. series): Unlocks all Super Mirror 1 costumes and Nintendo costumes with the old hairstyle (Witch With No Memories, Nun, Mushroom Kingdom Princess, Sarasaland Princess, Hero of Hyrule, Galactic Bounty Hunter)
  • Peach or Peach - Wedding Outfit (Super Smash Bros or Super Mario series): Unlocks Mushroom Kingdom Princess costume
  • Daisy (Super Mario series): Unlocks Sarasaland Princess costume
  • Link or Toon Link (Super Smash Bros or Legend of Zelda series): Unlocks Hero of Hyrule costume
  • Samus or Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros or Metroid series): Unlocks Galactic Bounty Hunter costume
  • Fox or Falco (Super Smash Bros. series): Unlocks Star Mercenary costume
  • Bowser or Bowser - Wedding Outfit (Super Smash Bros or Super Mario series): Unlocks Chain Chomp weapon
  • Bowser Jr. (Super Smash Bros series): Unlocks Chain Chomp weapon
  • Boo, Goomba or Koopa Troopa (Super Mario series): Unlocks Chain Chomp weapon

SigilFAQ.png
Why is the eShop price of both titles more than the retail version?
Buying one version of the game will net you a discount on the other on the eShop.

How does this version run?
According to Digital Foundry, the performance of this version is much better than the Wii U version even when played portably, getting much closer to the 60fps target especially when docked.

What about the resolution?
Both games run at 720p docked and undocked.

Why isn't the OT title Nintendo's Witch?
Saving it for Bayonetta 3. ;)

Why isn't this game on PS4?
Ask your mom.

Additionally, here's a link to the NintendoEra Discord!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dope OT! Can't wait! I bought Bayo 1+2 for my WiiU the day it came out but I actually never ended up finishing Bayo 2... A shame I must atone for starting Friday!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hoped for 1-2-Switch, but I'll take this title. Waiting for the call that the store received the Special Edition and will pick it up!

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
My SE is waiting in the post office but they haven't scanned incoming packets yet so they're not giving it to me :(
I'll have it in a few hours though.

Is it common that they send this out so you get it the day before release?

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
Love the thread title.

I did a digital preorder, i'm legit excited to replay these games for the billionth time because they are just that good.

Someone told me that Bayonetta 1 now has an online mode similar to Bayonetta 2. Is that true?

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Got my copy yesterday, Download code still wasn't working. Have completed Bayo 1 so jumped right into Bayo 2 anyway though, first time playing it!

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for midnight. I didn't get around to replaying Bayo 1 when 2 came out on Wii U, so it's been around 8 years since I last (and first) played through it.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The Queen is back, very nice OT!
Surprisingly got the game yesterday, having to wait tomorrow to activate Bayonetta 1 code suck haha.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna play the games on Wii U but still will share what i think about em once done.
Cool fittin thread title!

Wich i ofcourse will play this or next week ;)

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT, It's going to be my first time playing Bayonetta 1 & 2. Hyped for tomorrow!!

Jamie Summers

Nov 15, 2017
Out of stock at Amazon.co.uk right now... luckily got my order in before then, my copy coming on saturday. not played either before so pretty hyped.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should add the full amiibo support details on the OT.

Any amiibo will give you lollipops and halos for Bayonetta, but some amiibo will give you special costumes or a special weapon immediately. You will get Halos and 4 of these items chosen at random.

• 2,000 – 32,000 Halos (different each time)
  • Red Hot Shot
  • Mega Purple Magic Lollipop
  • Midas's Testament
  • Purple Magic Lollipop
  • Green Herb Lollipop
  • Yellow Moon Lollipop
  • Mandragora Root
  • Baked Gecko
  • Mega Yellow Moon Lollipop
  • Bloody Rose Lollipop
  • Mega Bloody Rose Lollipop
  • Unicorn Horn
  • Mega Green Herb Lollipop

Bayonetta - Player 1 (Super Smash Bros. series)

- Unlocks all Super Mirror 2 costumes (Schoolgirl, Metal Witch, Police Woman, Dress A + B)

Bayonetta - Player 2 (Super Smash Bros. series)

- Unlocks all Super Mirror 1 costumes and Nintendo costumes with the old hairstyle (Witch With No Memories, Nun, Mushroom Kingdom Princess, Sarasaland Princess, Hero of Hyrule, Galactic Bounty Hunter)

Peach or Peach - Wedding Outfit (Super Smash Bros or Super Mario series)

- Unlocks Mushroom Kingdom Princess costume

Daisy (Super Mario series)

- Unlocks Sarasaland Princess costume

Link or Toon Link (Super Smash Bros or Legend of Zelda series)

- Unlocks Hero of Hyrule costume

Samus or Zero Suit Samus (Super Smash Bros or Metroid series)

- Unlocks Galactic Bounty Hunter costume

Fox or Falco (Super Smash Bros. series)

- Unlocks Star Mercenary costume

Bowser or Bowser - Wedding Outfit (Super Smash Bros or Super Mario series)

- Unlocks Chain Chomp weapon

Bowser Jr. (Super Smash Bros series)

Boo, Goomba or Koopa Troopa (Super Mario series)

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
My copy is currently shipping, still debating if I'll start with the first or the second game... Already played both and knowing myself I'll stay "stuck" on one game for a few runs...

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
What was the best weapon in 2? I remember using the Chainsaws a lot as they seemed to have great synergy with dodge offsets.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ok, i'm not trying to be nitpicky, but the title of that switch launch game is 1-2-switch, not 1-2 switch.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
What was the best weapon in 2? I remember using the Chainsaws a lot as they seemed to have great synergy with dodge offsets.
Chernabog because of big AoE scythe wicked weaves. Depending on attack string weaves are either horizontal or vertical.

Chainchomp was situationally used for pure damage output: if out panther offset it at the tail end of 6-hit string you can throw out three exploding chomps right of the gate -- good to kill those enraging spherical demons ASAP.