• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably. I just imagine the artist tasked with this and probably given like.. half a day, then they just threw it in the bake and settled with whatever map came out xD I've been there.
.............Unless it's this:
gdD-x8.gif

ComplicatedSpiffyFirefly-max-1mb.gif

Gadget-based Trickster Style, perhaps?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose the most import takeaway from the Bayonetta 3 trailer is that she has long hair again, cementing the objective truth that long haired Bayonetta >>>>>>>> short haired Bayonetta.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm digging the hair-ribbon on her lower back and the, uh... hip-braids that extend from it

After watching the footage 100 times I can confirm Bayonetta 3 looks rad

Cana

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 27, 2021
One thing thats curious, if we are playing as Cereza how does she have a pact with Madame Butterfly as seen by the devil trigger like transformation?

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Always with the fucking negativity around here. I think it looked awesome and I'm really looking forward to it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
man, we had this graphical concern shit for no more heroes 3 and now we have it for bayonetta 3 even when it legitimately looks great

at this point it's just a curse put on me

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about Cereza's haircut (I'd rather have a return to beehive), but maybe it'll grow on me.

Between that and the new VA, I do wonder if we play as 'Cereza' and not Bayonetta, but that'd be a odd/random change-up.

Switch definitely putting a damper on things performance/graphics-wise, but it's been long enough that it doesn't sting as much as it could otherwise have.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Looking forward to the usual Nintendo cycle of "This looks worse in every way" to "Oh this second trailer looks better" to "Why the fuck were people saying this looks worse"

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
People been saying the JP VO is the same but like there been any casting confirmations? If not...man, i can't tell who is speculating and who is claiming anymore.

JP VO definitely sounds like Atsuko Tanaka, but no casting confirmations yet. All we have to go off re: the EN VO are today's trailer (which sounds different) and some of Hellena Taylor's recent tweets that suggest we won't be hearing her in Bayo 3.

i am pretty sure we will get two Bayonettas and maybe the plot will revolve around saving "our" Bayonetta from being killed with some time / dimension traveling stuff

Yeah, there are a number of hints strewn throughout the trailer (Cereza hairstyle, different voice, different Madama Butterfly shadow, etc.) to suggest this isn't "our" Bayonetta we're seeing.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
So Bayo was red, Bayo 2 is blue and Bayo 3 is purple which mixes both red and blue. My new theory:

Bayo 3 absolutely has time travel, which isn't new, but young Bayo is going to travel into the stories of 1 and 2 aswell as the future, which we see in the trailer. In the trailer the enemies are in the real world and can be seen by normal people, which is new. Astral Chain is set in the future and chimera can't be seen by regular people just like angles and demons in Bayonetta, but they can see Homunculi, which bear resemblance to the enemies Bayo is fighting in the trailer. Homunculi have a purple glow.

Lappy isn't just an Easter egg or a fake out , Bayonetta and Astral Chain are set in the same universe and Bayo 3 is set mostly in the future which is the world of Astral Chain. This also explains Bayo using the demons summons in combat, they are her Legions and she will use them to fight chimera and Homunculi
Favorite theory so far.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
it does look worse graphically than bayo2, but it's understandable considering you're controlling these huge creatures and they want it to run at solid framerate.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Console wars and port begging
Why is Platinum wasting their time developing on the switch. Games looks way too ambitious and the switch just can't handle it.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Platinum wasting their time developing on the switch. Games looks way too ambitious and the switch just can't handle it.
It's on Switch because Nintendo is funding it.

But considering there are Switch games that look way better than this game, how it looks is more on the developers than the hardware.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i dont get this.

both bayo 2 and bayo 3 exist thanks to nintendo even kamiya said so. sega is not going to finance a new bayo game on ps5 or xbox it's not going to happen. it's why bayo 2 is only nintendo consoles.
Whats not to get that Bayonetta would only benefit from being developed for higher end pc or consoles? We all know the tale that Nintendo saved Bayonetta, as you might see not everyone's impressed with the showing today.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Since people keep thinking that Bayo 2 on WiiU looks better than Bayo 3...here are some comparison shots. All from Nintendo's official website. Nostalgia is one helluva drug.

Bayo 2
tkanNtZTE6NKuIJvKRmPcdP5WAJuve0n

screenshot02

screenshot04

Bayo 3
21somirentbu-serb-660x370.png

9awpmver-v-660x370.png

1ejowatiuess-660x370.png

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Just from those shots it's pretty obvious that Bayo 3 looks better, especially the character model for her. Not to mention Bayo 2's frame rate is just all over the place on top of that. And Bayonetta 1 looking better? That's just laughable.

parasite2

Oct 22, 2020
Looking forward to the usual Nintendo cycle of "This looks worse in every way" to "Oh this second trailer looks better" to "Why the fuck were people saying this looks worse"

I'm not looking forward to the day Nintendo releases the first trailer of Metroid Prime 4, some people here are gonna say the graphics look like a PSP game

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Been working through the stages of grief, lol, from denial to acceptance. Always a sucker for a reading people's theories, too.

I guess I'm sad that, for what seems to be the last game in the series (Miyata speaking of Bayonetta 3 'as the culmination of the series' via the English translation), 'our' Bayonetta is seemingly not the main character -- or the focus of advertising, anyway. And Alt-Cereza is both like our Bayonetta and yet very different: new VA in English, a comparatively more girlish design (though still beautiful!), plus her dance moves are far more youthful. It's so damn weird to see Bayonetta bouncing back and forth on the spot as she dances whilst Alt-Gomorrah is fighting in the background! From sexy school teacher Bayonetta to magical girl Bayonetta. Surreal.

Regardless of all this, I'm still bewildered why they didn't use Taylor. (Though the voice clip used when summoning Alt-Gomorrah does sound like her -- the rest does not.) From watching the Japanese trailer, it indeed seems like Atsuko Tanaka has returned to reprise Bayonetta/Alt-Cereza. I'm baffled why they didn't use Taylor, as the new VA has been directed to voice match Taylor anyway, and Tanaka hasn't altered her voice much in the Japanese version. I guess more information will come out in time. I feel really sorry for Taylor, though, because she was Bayonetta's original voice, there was no Japanese option in the original game.

b5d05dd009e1cc3c8def2654595d4586.gif

(Judging gif, lol.)

It also will take some getting used to seeing Bayonetta acting younger in the way she moves, especially the way she dances. Maiko Uchida established Bayonetta's distinctive moves, curious who they got for B3. (If you haven't seen the clip below, it's amazing, particularly the back half -- Uchida talks about showing up late for the audition, and everyone was furious, but she was so amazing that she got hired anyway.)

yeah, rewatching on youtube, i'm turning around. the bg art direction still looks meh but my guess is they're saving the proper colours reveal for further in the cycle or something. also Yung Bayo's design (that's what I think's going on anyway) is fucking killer, holy shit. When I realised her hair has a weird butt bow thing going I think it's a play on like a magical girl design or something.

Yes, that's what it was reminding me of! Alt-Cereza bringing Sailor Moon/Card Captor Sakura/Madoka/etc magical girl realness. It took watching the trailer on my television to realize that her hair was also also a long ribbon on the back of her dress. (I know her clothes are her hair... but you know what I mean, lol.) Associating Bayo with the magical girl look will definitely take some getting used to.

Her guns have "Color my world" written on them. That's a song from Chicago. Perhaps a clue as to what one of her battle songs might be?

I missed the 'Colour My World' on her guns, that's awesome! I wonder if it could be a reference to the Petula Clark song of the same name, which is suitably extremely perky for Alt-Cereza. (The song is an absolute earworm for anyone who hasn't heard it before.) The Petula Clark song also came out around the same time as 'Love is Blue' and the Simon & Garfunkel version of 'Scarborough Fair' in the late sixties. Scarborough Fair and Love Is Blue were never played in the previous games, though, so Colour My World just might be a fun reference. There was an old interview where Kamiya talked about listening to vinyl records belonging to his parents when he was a kid, which I sadly I can't find for the life of me. (I just realized 'Moon River' came out in 1961. Bayonetta and the sixties, baby.)

People been saying the JP VO is the same but like there been any casting confirmations? If not...man, i can't tell who is speculating and who is claiming anymore.

No official casting confirmations. From the Japanese trailer, it definitely sounds like Atsuko Tanaka is reprising her role as Bayonetta's Japanese VA. If it's not her, that's some crazy close voice matching via casting. (It's interesting watching the Japanese trailer, as it looks like the animation/mouth flaps were done for the English VA. I'm curious if they'll match the animation for the Japanese voice track.)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely no reason the graphics should look worse than the previous game from 7 years ago, giant monsters or not.
It's literally running at the same resolution no?

Art style and graphics are totally different things, Bayo 2 just has a better art style than what we were shown. It's not a technical thing I'm pretty sure

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
the switch successor can't come soon enough is all I could think about watching that trailer

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I primarily play switch games. It isn't that I was expecting raytracing or anything. The lighting felt super flat to me and the monster design, to my taste, was a downgrade from the past two. I booted up bayo 2 after and much prefer how it looks.

hopefully it gets some more polish before release! I mean, let's be real. I'm buying it day one no matter what. It's more bayonetta dammit!

I'm buying this day one as well, but I do agree with you that the colour palette seems quite dull.

Bayo 2 was a masterpiece. The popping colours, how every chapter was just action packed, the art direction ,music, action, I could go on and on.

Bayo 2 is S tier, and the game just kept on getting better and better as you go on.

I am hoping that this is just a bad trailer, and that they are actually hiding the epic shit from us for the time being. I really, really, hope that is the case.

parasite2

Oct 22, 2020
So Bayo was red, Bayo 2 is blue and Bayo 3 is purple which mixes both red and blue. My new theory:

Bayo 3 absolutely has time travel, which isn't new, but young Bayo is going to travel into the stories of 1 and 2 aswell as the future, which we see in the trailer. In the trailer the enemies are in the real world and can be seen by normal people, which is new. Astral Chain is set in the future and chimera can't be seen by regular people just like angles and demons in Bayonetta, but they can see Homunculi, which bear resemblance to the enemies Bayo is fighting in the trailer. Homunculi have a purple glow.

Lappy isn't just an Easter egg or a fake out , Bayonetta and Astral Chain are set in the same universe and Bayo 3 is set mostly in the future which is the world of Astral Chain. This also explains Bayo using the demons summons in combat, they are her Legions and she will use them to fight chimera and Homunculi

Wow, this is a great theory. That could also be a good advertisement for the Astral Chain sequel. Because I really think this is gonna be the last Bayonetta game Nintendo funds.

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
Since people keep thinking that Bayo 2 on WiiU looks better than Bayo 3...here are some comparison shots. All from Nintendo's official website. Nostalgia is one helluva drug.

Bayo 2
tkanNtZTE6NKuIJvKRmPcdP5WAJuve0n

screenshot02

screenshot04

Bayo 3
21somirentbu-serb-660x370.png

9awpmver-v-660x370.png

1ejowatiuess-660x370.png
A clear improvement. Don't even understand how people here can be like Bayo 2 looks better when the community here in general is supposed To be able to scrutinize better. Oh well, can't wait for this!

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018

MGSR / Bayo era of platinum are very dull gray ( even on Christmas day scene) with very weirdly soft-airbrush-y lighting and visual tho
like I get that people feel weird that this trailer doesn't show the bombastic sequence. but on look-visual wise...

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
A clear improvement. Don't even understand how people here can be like Bayo 2 looks better when the community here in general is supposed To be able to scrutinize better. Oh well, can't wait for this!
Nostalgia. It's been so long that people saw Bayo 3 and assumed that Bayo 2 looked better because they super imposed recent action games like DMC V onto games they played 7 years ago. Like..Bayo 2 was on the Wii U lmao. The console was WEAK AF!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you are trying to show with these shots... To me it only illustrates more how much better 2 looks.
Art direction is subjective, but if you think that Bayo 2 jaggy filled character model with basic textures looks better than Bayo 3s....then there was no way Platinum was going to impress you, whether switch or ps5/series X.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I waited awhile before coming in here to formulate my thoughts. I watched the direct twice and both times this trailer came on my gut reaction was I thought for sure it looked worse and more fuzzy than Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U, like there's some sort of haze spread over everything (I hope it gets more clear and crisp in an additional trailer.)

The other thing that got me worried was that our summons could fight now instead of just being like a quicktime boss finisher. After having played V in DMC 5, I don't want this at all.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the color composition of 2 is the best.

Very vibrant. Blues and Yellows… I preferred it a lot to the reds and blacks of the original. The new one has a lot of green and grey. Scalebound also had a lot of greens…

At the end I do think 3 looks fantastic and I can play 1 and 2 ons witch anytime I want s….

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Always with the fucking negativity around here. I think it looked awesome and I'm really looking forward to it.
this happens with every platinum game. excited for the typical reversal when it comes out and plays well. then for people to turn on it again for arbitrary reasons that never quite make sense. the platinum cycle.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The graphics aren't terrible, but this tier of visuals is showing its age.

I think Nintendo has squeezed what they can out of a Wii U tier chip (sure the Switch is capable of some PS4 type downports, but generally Nintendo is not interested in pushing the chip to that extreme).

It'll be good for Nintendo to move on up to PS4/XB1 tier visuals with the Switch 2, probably in 2023 or 2024.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
DMC5 isn't even a looker to me, technically yes I guess, but I felt like lots of the environments in that game were fairly drab from an art style perspective. I remember being pretty disappointed in that aspect of the game. Same issue as what we've seen from Bayo 3, it's just running at a higher resolution

Last edited: