• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
People are talking about the Kaiju battles but to me this:

U4P8v8d.gif

Is a bigger red flag. It feels way too stiff and restrictive for Bayonetta.

a A.AB combo (or something similar)? Let's wait a bit before making big assumption.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I think it looks great - the fake out was weird and it's a bit of a tease - but we haven't seen anything yet.. To each their own but I'm baffled by some of these reactions tbh.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i was thinking before the reveal, i really hope is not bayo 3 because is missing the color from 2.

i trust Platinum to be a reason for it, so im ok with it

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The one bit of knowledge we had about this game for years was that platinum wanted to make it very different.

The trailer comes, and people are suddenly surprised it's different tonally lol

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not a big Bayonetta fan to begin with, so what do I know, but this looked... rough? Extremely tame for Bayonetta? I feel like her personality is usually front and center in these trailers, but this seemed like it only cared about showing off the kaiju battles - which were a little ugly and hard to follow themselves.

I'm curious what the response from long-time fans will be when this releases.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy? The opening trailer for 2 has so much more excitement to it.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
OK, I'm open to change and I appreciate that they're trying to change things. This is obviously some alternate timeline shenanigans with a different, younger Cereza, but I hate that all the style, the personality, the camp that made the series what it was is gone. The character, her voice, her lines, the music, the enemy designs, where did all the style and personality go?? Gameplay-wise, controlling summons is cool but everything looks so slow. It seems like they're trying to make the series more accessible and are killing its identity in the process.

Bayonetta went from drag queen to J-Pop idol.

EXACLY what I'm feeling right now

This game feels so... tamed?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
A Message from Bayonetta 3 Executive Director Hideki Kamiya

So everyone, there's no need to worry, Bayonetta 3 is real, and the day when you'll be able to hold it in your hands and play is definitely coming! Rest easy and look forward to more info to come, because no matter how great your expectations may be, I promise we'll deliver an experience that exceeds all of them.

Hideki Kamiya

A Message from Bayonetta 3 Director Yusuke Miyata

So what did you all think of the new trailer?
We sprinkled a lot of new elements throughout the frenetic pacing. I'd like to talk a bit about one of those, a new featured mechanic that lets you control Infernal Demons, called "Demon Slave."
Unlike the Climax Summons of previous games that automatically defeated enemies and returned to Inferno, this mechanic lets players control demons during gameplay and unleash a host of intuitive actions. Each demon's abilities vary and the kinds of abilities that are advantageous in a certain situation can change at any time. Just how many are there? What else can you do? Well, there's a lot more I'd like to tell you, but I have to stop here for now. However, there's a lot of info hidden in the trailer that I didn't go into here, so please consider watching it again until the next announcement.

We're in the home stretch of development right now, working on making the core of the game even more fun and test playing nonstop. As the culmination of this series loved by all of you, we're giving our all to make it a masterpiece worth of the name Bayonetta so please wait and anticipate just a bit longer!

Yusuke Miyata​

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Lmao! I didn't even know about this. That's hilarious.

one of the realities of environment design is that everything is larger than real life. otherwise the games won't control well. pick any game and look at the doorway. shit's like 9 feet tall

I knowwwww. Wrong answers only. My headcannon is Bayonetta is about to step off at Shinagawa since she's on her way to the immigration office.

Nov 7, 2017
This trailer didnt pass the vibe check from a bayo1 superfan. It seems they are continuing to build from 2 instead of going back to why bayonetta is good. and teh enemy design is a big yikes. disappointing.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Ok so I've watched the trailer several times and gone through a whole range of feelings. I was so, so disappointed after my first watch. Everything about her character feels off. That is not how Bayonetta dances. She's dancing like a Japanese teenager, which is not how she has ever danced before. Her model...yikes. It has grown in me after a few watches, but yikes was definitely the original reaction. However, like some others, I am firmly on the "alternate timeline Cereza" train.
This character model looks more youthful than the Bayonetta we know. This could be used as an excuse as to why her voice is different. Whoever is voicing her is close to Hellena, but not quite Hellena. She's in Shibuya, which could explain why she's gone for a more "kawaii" aesthetic and possibly why, as I mentioned earlier, she's dancing like a Japanese teenager (or at least that's how they're portrayed in games and anime and whatnot). When the logo shows up near the end it splits into multiple logos before reverting back to one logo, with a half moon either side. This suggests some sort of multiverse to me. My money is currently on the person at the end being some alternate version of Jeanne.

Overall I am of the opinion that this is not the Bayonetta we know. It's a young adult Cereza from the first game. I think our Bayknetta will show up in some capacity, voiced by Hellena, but that she won't be the "main" Bayonetta we play as.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Big Bayo fan, but will echo the feeling that something feels off.

I think they focused more on the new mechanic than just bringing folks back into the general world of Bayonetta.

That said, love me some Phantom, so that's worth the new mechanic alone.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I thought it was great, though with what they showed I can see why some are still disappointed. Still getting it day one.

This image is hilarious. Why is Bayonetta so short!?

Yeah, now that ypu mentioned it, she looks way shorter than Bayo. I legitmately think that is Cereza/Alt. universe Bayo.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if Platinum had caved to the demand and showed off a trailer for the game last year, just imagine the shitstorm if the trailer looked even "rougher"

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
That trailer was a trip lmao. With these alien telethia looking things I was so convinced it was Monolith Soft at first, then the Astral Chain Mascot dog showed up and then witch time happened.
Anyway fuck yes. FINALLY THE QUEEN IS BACK!!!
Yeah, it happened to me as well... lol even if I read "Platinum" in the first few seconds...

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
i constantly am reminded and thankful that I am not like so many of yall on this place.

Every single game reveal is so miserable around here to the point I wonder if I am crazy lol...go elsewhere and see that people are still hype.

Yall are so jaded lol.

Thought this looked great. Obviously could use some sprucing up and there is more to see...but here we have people acting like they know everything there is about the game...and that this is the final product. For a place that claims to be the epicenter of gaming discourse....so many seem to not grasp how game dev works and are prime candidates as to why it took so long for this to reappear.
Now look I get it....to each their own and thats fine but holy shit the ps2 comps and the frame rate complaints and the negative theorizing the the game is just going to be kaiju fights...i don't get that at all.

is it just not so subtle console warrior shit? Because I swear some of yall can't even feel joy any more without nitpicking everything.

Bu-but its better than a circle jerk doe I guess.

i cannot deal with all of the negativity anymore.
I've been trying to do more to avoid gaming side as opposed to hangouts, because yes, it's pretty much endless negativity and nitpicking.
Was that the Astral chain dog mascot?
Yes.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It felt like they didn't want to make Bayo 3, but had to, so they just took a game they were making and slapped a Bayo coat of paint on it

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
God damn I cannot wait loved everything I seen. Game is going to be well worth the wait.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
count me in the group that thinks it looks great, riding a dragon demon through warping buildings looked hype

Jan 11, 2018
I can't believe how unpolished, clunky, and tonally off this trailer was. I really, really hope they're able to shape it up nicely before release.

pablogers

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling
looks almost ps1 man... im rn playing kena and my eyes hurt from this (i LOVE the first bayo and my switch is eager from games, so this is sad).

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded the 1080p 60fps version to watch it without streaming and it looked WAY better

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Maybe Im easy to please because that looked fuckin' awesome. Also some of you are dramatic as fuck. Tone it down my word the hyperbole.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Wow this looked… horrible?

I felt like most games in the Direct were looking pretty dated overall, but this felt like it didn't load in textures and lighting or something? lol