• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your vote will remain cast!

• Bayonetta 1 and 2

Votes: 547 37.4%
  • Devil May Cry 3 and 5

Votes: 499 34.2%
  • Ninja Gaiden Black and 2

Votes: 415 28.4%

• Total voters

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Heh. Funny how one of each pair has one game that is in my top 3 action games, yet the other one isn't that good for me. So this might as well be just a Bayo 1 vs NJB vs DMC3 thread for me.

and the answer is always Bayo 1.

Last edited:

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I have my issues with Bayo 2 but none of them are as annoying as playing as V more than once in DMCV, so Bayo all day baybee

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Love all three pairs but it's DMC3 and 5 for me in this poll.

I haven't replayed Ninja Gaiden Black since it came out and keep meaning to revisit it. I think Ninja Gaiden 2 is still dope but pretty flawed, but I do remember REALLY liking Black.

Bayo 1 was amazing and... I own it but I haven't given Bayo 2 a genuine minute yet. Like, I've had Bayo 2 since it first came out for WiiU and I have the Switch version now but I've only ever played maybe the first 2 hours of it?

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
DMC is a great series and I love both DMC3 and 5. But honestly, Bayonetta and other platinum action titles have been a lot more creative and innovative with what an action game can be while DMC is mostly a bit too traditional (though 5 has taken a lot of interesting chances with what they've changed.)

So yeah, I'll definitely take the experimentation and out there design choices of Bayonetta as the better ones by far.

Jun 13, 2018
bayonetta I guess. only really feel strongly about ninja gaiden black and devil may cry 5 otherwise.

what I really want is another revengeance, or another vanquish.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Whilst DMC3 is the best character action game mentioned in this poll, DMCV just isn't very good and brings the DMC pair down far enough that that the two Bayonetta games are a better pick for me (as a pair).

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
The games are Xbox exclusive so itd make sense that less people have played them.

Now if everybody on this site played all of these games than Ninja Gaiden would be running away with the vote.

The fans of these kind of games are hardcore and the audience of these on this nerd site most likely played them all. Not to mention Sigma 1 and 2 were released on PS3. Yes inferior versions, but still amazing. If someone played sigma 1 and doesn't think it's better than Bayo 1 and DMC3 then I doubt playing black will change their mind.

That said I need to replay 2. Haven't played it since it was released and beat it in turkey. fuck that was more than a decade ago.

Mar 18, 2020
I feel like Bayo is the most fun-loving in terms of both gameplay and setting. DMC is great for both too but gameplay feels more demanding and with 5 in particular, V was very unsatisfying to use.

Never been interested in the 3D Ninja Gaiden games.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if was Bayonetta 1 alone i would still pick Bayonetta (2 is still a great game though and the issues it has feel overblown)

But the first game is almost perfect, i think the only flaw i can say for it is that the story is a bit nonsensical (i still fucking love the characters, the settings and some cutscenes).

Jul 19, 2020
Bayonetta might be my favourite action game ever (if we're purely talking combat) but I can't pick it over the DMC combo with 2 dragging it down so much. Only ever played NGB out of the last option so can't fairly judge them as a pair, though.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DMC5 is the best of that list, but Bayo 1+2 are just under that. So I gave it to Bayo.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I don't think there is a wrong answer. It really depends on what mood I'm in. I also think whatever downsides any of these games have are really overblown. These are all top tier games and all have replayability it just depends on what you are after.

I probably go back to Bayo the most because it's fun to me and easy to jump back into, DMCV takes it in a great direction and resurrected what I thought was dead, but my nostalgia tells me to pick Ninja Gaiden.

lol. I love Astral Chain but it's not a character action game. Also, if they make a sequel they need to nerf Axe legion, it's spin move is way to OP.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Gaiden for me.

I'm sure some will disagree, but the other ones feel like you're just playing with the enemies, where in Ninja Gaiden it feels like to me you're there to obliterate them (and they to you, too).

Last edited:

solidr

Oct 28, 2017
I have a weird relation with NG and DMC, the first game i played with these two was NG, and trying to play dmc later was strange, coming for NG, a game when every attack count and you can easily die with random mobs to a "button masher" was off.
so, ninja gaiden ruined me devil may cry (and god of war)

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Voted DMC but I only did because of 4/5.

The combat in 4 is far superior than 3 and Combat is the only reason that DMC is able to squeeze a victory over Bayo 1+2 as characters and world is far more fun in Bayo.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I only ever played Bayonetta 2 and upon beating it felt that it was hugely overrated. Loved Ninja Gaiden Black though. Not a huge fan of 2 but it was fun.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 1 is my favourite character action games, full stop. Everything about it hits a perfect chord with me. It's a bit uneven at times, but the combat system is just so buttery and brilliant, and I love the tone/style of the game that not even Bayonetta 2 quiet nails.

All of these games are very, very good though and we are sufficiently spoiled.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 1 and 2 are the most fun I've had with this genre by far. I think 2 is overall my favorite game on this list.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Bayo guy but Ninja Gaiden Black makes a strong case for itself, especially on the newer consoles. So NGB all the way baby.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go with Bayonetta if it didn't include 2. What a fucking letdown that game is.

Ninja Gaiden it is...

Dec 11, 2017
No surprise, I voted for Ninja Gaiden.

I used prefer Bayonetta to Devil May Cry, but DMC5 impressed me enough that it might tip the scales in DMC's favor.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Thought I was the only one let down by Bayo 2 after the godsend that was Bayo 1, huh.

Bayo 1 on its own beats the other two combos for me.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Nina Gaiden Black alone is enough to win in my eyes. Absolute masterpiece. Ninja Gaiden 2 is fantastic as well, but it suffers from being rushed and unfinished. The combat is so fucking good though, my favorite in the genre. Man, imagine how incredible NG2 would have been if it had been given enough time in the oven.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
DMC 3+5 are the better pair, but Bayonetta is the best character action game of all time and it's not particularly close. I was disappointed by 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still breaking out Bayonetta once in awhile a decade from now.

It's always shocking to me that other games haven't ripped off the Dodge Offset mechanic, that was a brilliant way to ensure you can actually use all the flashy combos. I also think Bayonetta has a nearly perfect skill ceiling. It's fun watching insane DMC combo videos, but I don't have the time to commit to playing at that level. Bayonetta has a learning curve but I can pull off some insane stuff without practicing for hours.

Edit: Actually Ninja Gaiden may be my number one, but I haven't played it in over a decade. I played the first couple levels on X1X about a year ago and was floored by how well it holds up visually, but I moved on to other things before getting too far. I'm pretty curious to finish it again now.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
dang poor dmc4 left out in the cold : (

as much as i like bayo 1, its still a little too focused on premade strings and wicked weaves that u find via dodge offset for me. Not offensive enough of a game. Bayo 2 is kinda just not for me also

NGB and NG2 are rad but the combos are a little limited

dmc3-5 are da best for me

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Ninja Gaiden for me.

I'm sure some will disagree, but the other ones feel like you're just playing with the enemies, where in Ninja Gaiden it feels like to me you're there to obliterate them (and they to you, too).
Exactlty
Ryu is a glass canon character like Doom Slayer. He's op and can decimate waves of enemies but can also be easily killed. I like this risk/reward mechanic. Doom Eternal did the same thing. I like Bayo and DMC but I play them in auto mode cause there's not much risk involved unless you crank up the difficulty all the way or chasing score (which I really dont care about)

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 1 and 2 together are better than the rest of the genre by far. I think 2 is much better than people give it credit for, and my only complaint really is I'm not a fan of Infinite Climax in it. But, that's like fine.

DMC3 is a good game but has some really shitty bosses and enemies (angel things, centipede, stomach boss, etc.) which hurts it a lot. Love the movesets in it though, and it has my favorite version of Dante to play. 5 is great but V is incredibly unsatisfying to play as to the point that it brings it down a lot for me.

NG Black is a masterpiece, just not my personal favorite. NG2 has great mechanics just a lot of questionable encounters and design choices that leave it feeling a bit half baked unfortunately.