• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yes. Two cats. And the rent is arguably below market.

We are peak Silicon Valley right now.

SJM-L-CATRENT-0112-1.jpg

"Basically I've got two renters that don't have opposable thumbs," Callisch said. "It's actually great. They're very quiet, obviously. The only problem is they stink up the place."

The rent is taken care of by 43-year-old Troy Good, who saw the studio as a solution to a pressing problem: what to do with his daughter's beloved cats, which he couldn't abandon but also couldn't house in his new apartment.

For $1,500, Good and his cats got a decent deal. An average studio apartment in San Jose rents for $1,951 a month, according to RentCafe. But the unit Good is renting has no kitchen, which could bring the price down.

"They definitely have the nicest cat apartment in Silicon Valley," said Good, a custom furniture designer. He recently started his own business designing and selling phone booths for offices with open floor plans, to give workers a quiet, private space to take calls.

Callisch pops into his granny unit, which he calls the "casita," every day to feed and play with the cats, Good stops by regularly and Amith visits on her breaks from school.

Source:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01...-studio-to-two-cats-hits-peak-silicon-valley/

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
So we renters not only have to compete with Airbnb, but also rich pet owners?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt these cats have ever had to mouse for a living, never live on the streets. Totally out of touch with the normal cat.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
400 sqft studio, no kitchen, $1,500 a month.

that's gonna be a no from me dawg

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
He recently started his own business designing and selling phone booths for offices with open floor plans, to give workers a quiet, private space to take calls.

Please be The Onion. Please be The Onion.

I want someone to invent cubicles to give employees in open offices their own space to boost their productivity and ability to focus next.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Always remember, there are more empty homes than there are homeless. Expropriate the housing market and be done with it already.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
A "custom furniture designer" can afford not one but TWO apartments in SV? Some people either flush money down the toilet or have some other incredible, unlisted source of income.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
400 sqft studio, no kitchen, $1,500 a month.

that's gonna be a no from me dawg

Lol that's what I was thinking. No kitchen? Are there apartments in SF that have no bathrooms either? Unreal. The cats pay more for a space the size of my garage at home than I do for the entire house.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
A "custom furniture designer" can afford not one but TWO apartments in SV? Some people either flush money down the toilet or have some other incredible, unlisted source of income.
It's like when you watch House Hunters, and the persons budget is like 1.5 million or some shit, and then they're all like: "I own an online business where I sell handknitted bedpan covers." These kind of fucking people are so obviously just trust fund windfall babies.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's like when you watch House Hunters, and the persons budget is like 1.5 million or some shit, and then they're all like: "I own an online business where I sell handknitted bedpan covers." These kind of fucking people are so obviously just trust fund windfall babies.

Lmao yup, had the same thought about house hunters. And yeah, the trust fun bit is funny and sad at the same time.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
I just moved to Sunnyvale (a little west of San Jose) for a new job 2 weeks ago. Got a studio for $1795/mo with 550sq/ft and a full kitchen, and that seemed to be a way better deal than most on the market. One place I looked at was $1720 for a 290 sq/ft studio lol. Most studios are $1900+/mo around here.

Not to mention every year on lease renewal rent is going to increase by a good amount I hear.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Is it really as expensive as they say to live in California? Recently I've been getting hit up by recruiters for the San Jose and San Francisco areas and the salaries seem ridiculous (like 175k+), but from what I've heard the cost of living is stupid expensive too so it all balances out. Apparently you have to compete against cats as well now...

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Sounded like a pretty good deal until no kitchen.

Fuck this area.
Is it really as expensive as they say to live in California? Recently I've been getting hit up by recruiters for the San Jose and San Francisco areas and the salaries seem ridiculous (like 175k+), but from what I've heard the cost of living is stupid expensive too so it all balances out. Apparently you have to compete against cats as well now...
If you're getting offers for 175k+ you'll be completely fine, are you kidding me?!

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yup. You're looking at at least 20k a year in rent

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they were dogs then you could say they deserved it because they were good boys and no one would be upset, but make it cats and everyone loses their mind

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California

Only the bay area and other important southern California places are that expensive. More east is cheaper. $175k is more than enough for a good place. Buying a house in a good spot is a different story though lol.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
You basically need to be making twice as much in California than you would in a Midwest city to have a comparable cost of living.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hit the link. His current place allows pets. He's afraid the cats will beat up his fiancé's dog.

These are alpha kitties.
Oh. In that case, I still feel like it makes more sense to get a bigger place and then just keep the cats and dog in separate rooms. Even if money isn't a problem, I imagine he spends a lot of time visiting them.

But I guess it makes more financial sense this way, since it's temporary until his daughter picks them up when she's ready.

While everything tends to cost more here, fixed cost goods like game consoles and cars will cost the same, and you will have more expendable income for them.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine paying nearly 2 grand a month to live in a fucking closet. Need to start building housing/apartments out there asap

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
It cost me $250/wk for a decent cat sitter in LA to look after a single cat ... this actually makes sense.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Hit the link. His current place allows pets. He's afraid the cats will beat up his fiancé's dog.

These are alpha kitties.
There is so much wrong with this dude, and im not even talking about neglecting his cats by sending them to another apartment with no human being.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
User Banned (3 weeks): Xenophobic rhetoric; history of inflammatory generalizations surrounding race and nationality
Everything about that story is gross. I used to live in San Jose(which I loved) but got too expensive and had to move east to shitty Fremont, land of rich Indians and Asians driving Teslas and Mercedes Benz to their $2 million dollar homes in the ghetto.