• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
At first glance Batwoman's outfit looks like a callback to Azreal's Knightfall suit with the horned shoulders, armored collar, the side yellow rib cage accents...and everything else below the chest.

Azrael-batman_01.jpg

The 90s, yo.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
So, this design has some prominent flaws (boob cups, bottom of the cuirass would constantly poke her in the stomach, built like a runway model instead of a brawler/martial artist), but I dont think the basic concept is bad or even overly cheesecakey. Like, Nightwing's costume is just a skintight suit with a defined asscrack, that's a superhero costume staple.

I think it's just the obvious male gaze of the artist. It's difficult to pin down (superheroes are mostly just nudes with pieces of flair to break up their silhouette), but it's definitely there in this particular piece of art. I think it's the arching of the back, which emphasizes the bust and butt. It's a fashion pose, not a fighting pose.

You can really see it here, in this piece by the same artist. Batman and Catwoman are both essentialy nude, but Batman's pose conveys stoicism and strength, whereas Catwoman's looks super uncomfortable and only serves to (again) emphasize her boobs and butt. Also, the subtle implication of *ahem* oral sex in their relative positions is hard to deny.

EjB2sEeXYAApJtz.jpg

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
What's going on here, and why did they need 9 panels for this lol
She's basically part of a reality show-like confessional moment that multiple characters go through in that particular series (Tom King's Heroes in Crisis btw which I'd say readers should avoid) & showing off the gunshot wound the Joker crippled her with in previous continuity. The 9 panels are absolutely as unnecessary as the moment itself.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Why does it look like that underneath the boob armor she is wearing the tightest latex known to humankind?

Tou probably could have done an entire neat armor design without the boob armor.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it look like that underneath the boob armor she is wearing the tightest latex known to humankind?

Tou probably could have done an entire neat armor design without the boob armor.
Comic artists essential draw stuff nude then add clothing so they end up looking pike they have the tightest clothes ever that shows off everything
Nightwing costume really hugs his butt and doesn't leave much to the imagination

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Put her pants back on/extend the armor to actually make sense in proportion to the rest of her body (why.. does she just need armor from her shoulders to her chest?)/remove the defined cups and I think that design could actually be really cool. As it stands it doesn't even make sense and she looks naked

Also agree that a cape would look great

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Isn't she just a kid in this where is she gonna find armor?
I have no clue, I don't read comics. My statement wasn't whether it was more realistic for the character or not, but whether it is more useful. Any human in a leather jumpsuit is less protected than in armor.. so this outfit, while a great design, is objectively worse for her than the armor in the OP.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

But then you couldn't highlight the boobs I guess. It's wild that that is literally the only part that needs to be fixed to make this an actually good costume but "sex appeal" took priority

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Practical and sexualized are different things. Few comic book costumes are practical no matter whose wearing them, majority of them are incredibly stupid for any type of combat, utility, movement, vision, etc. To say they are impractical is kind of silly. Now sexualized costumes, yes that is the serious problem with how they treat women.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Isn't she just a kid in this where is she gonna find armor?

3d prints some resin armor fiber something that she cobbles together.

Loses tights, wears a mask to cover her face (where she can be shot to death?) gets real amor like special forces women. You can't if she is a girl or not to keep her anonymity while fighting crime.

can i write comonks now

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I despise the notion that anything about superhero costumes should look like nkrmal clothing.

But "doesn't look like normal clothing" also doesn't mean "requires boob (plate/socks)".

Practical and sexualized are different things. Few comic book costumes are practical no matter whose wearing them, majority of them are incredibly stupid for any type of combat, utility, movement, vision, etc. To say they are impractical is kind of silly. Now sexualized costumes, yes that is the serious problem with how they treat women.
Bingo. These characters shouldn't "look like real people". That's the point. But not looking like real people doesn't also have to mean making sure we as an audience can tell the character's exact bust size from seeing them in costume.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
This
I don't think there's wrong with sexy, that's good especially with certain characters and Joelle Jones Catwoman is one of her best costumes and it's sexualized but it's too one sided and it results in some shitty costumes or designs

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It looks weird because the top part is like plated armor but the bottom is tight latex. It's true that both male and female superheroes are often dressed in tight latex, but usually that covers the whole body. Here it looks like she forgot to put on half of her armor.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So tight you can see her belly button...
What a weird design, I hope no enemies attack her below her shoulders.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The costume is missing stuff. I didn't read the article at first and just went straight to the picture and the thing that really stood out was the missing belt. Then you see how the top half doesn't really match the bottom. It's like one half is mechanical and rough like a traditional Bat armor, while the other half is sleek like Catwoman or something. It's like a medievil knight that forgot to put on their metal pants.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's just... profoundly dumb. The skintight bottom and boob-plate top. Hopefully we're not far off from the next redesign.

Mann's art is pretty good but I really don't like his character designs.
This is from a non canonical black label series where the creators get more freedom. The design is really just for that limited series. Batwoman still looks like Batwoman

The costume is missing stuff. I didn't read the article at first and just went straight to the picture and the thing that really stood out was the missing belt. Then you see how the top half doesn't really match the bottom. It's like one half is mechanical and rough like a traditional Bat armor, while the other half is sleek like Catwoman or something. It's like a medievil knight that forgot to put on their metal pants.
That's actually the idea. She's Batman's and Catwoman's daughter.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
So, this design has some prominent flaws (boob cups, bottom of the cuirass would constantly poke her in the stomach, built like a runway model instead of a brawler/martial artist), but I dont think the basic concept is bad or even overly cheesecakey. Like, Nightwing's costume is just a skintight suit with a defined asscrack, that's a superhero costume staple.

I think it's just the obvious male gaze of the artist. It's difficult to pin down (superheroes are mostly just nudes with pieces of flair to break up their silhouette), but it's definitely there in this particular piece of art. I think it's the arching of the back, which emphasizes the bust and butt. It's a fashion pose, not a fighting pose.

You can really see it here, in this piece by the same artist. Batman and Catwoman are both essentialy nude, but Batman's pose conveys stoicism and strength, whereas Catwoman's looks super uncomfortable and only serves to (again) emphasize her boobs and butt. Also, the subtle implication of *ahem* oral sex in their relative positions is hard to deny.

EjB2sEeXYAApJtz.jpg
Okay, so here's what I mean when I say the concept of the design works. There are a lot of elements of the Batman Beyond costume (which I love, even though it makes absolutely no sense outside of Bruce Timm's aesthetic), and old Image Comics designs. You just absolutely need something to break up the outline of the lower body, or it will always look like she's just nude.

FhS0Nux.png

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how 'it's a one-off design in a spinoff' lets this costume exist in a vacuum from the decades of similarly awful designs/cover poses given to women in comic books.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame because I like some aspects of the design. The helmet looks good. The armored knight motif could be cool.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I stand corrected, didn't even know the dude did anything more than write.

Until they give her another redesign, people are going to continue to praise this one.

Maybe once the game comes out, they'll bring her Gotham Knights look to the comics.

fbvpibphrbr51.jpg
I like that the image that goes with Shoulder Pads is actually cropped to the point where you can't really see them, but you can see her breast, and the Utility Belt has the belt very small at the very top of the image with the majority of it focusing on her thighs and crotch lmao

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Honestly I'm never a fan of comic superhero outfits as they always seem completely inexplicable to me, like "why on earth would anybody decide to wear this?" Making it look super weird like that latex (?) lower body makes it so much worse. I'd expect something that's either comfy or designed around some function, not whatever this nonsense is. Like even if you leave aside the lack of armor and weird concave sections of the suit, wouldn't something like leather or latex produce creaking sounds that would absolutely suck for someone who's trying to use stealth? She might as well dress in a bikini and just use body paint as camouflage for all the good that suit will do her.
I guess you have to grow up with superhero comics to like superhero outfits.

I stand corrected, didn't even know the dude did anything more than write.

Until they give her another redesign, people are going to continue to praise this one.

Maybe once the game comes out, they'll bring her Gotham Knights look to the comics.

fbvpibphrbr51.jpg
I always thought that game was supposed to be in the Arkham game continuity in which she's paralyzed from the waist down?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You know, it's funny. I started watching Invincible today and there's a scene where they main characters are picking out supersuits and THIS EXACT SUIT is sitting in the back in different coloring, with the comment of it being "discounted unsold merchandise".