• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ew20QAHWQAIJCw-

It's no secret that female comic book character design has bolstered many over-sexualized, less than practical looks, and Batwoman's costume in Tom King's Batman/Catwoman is proving to be no different. Clay Mann recently shared an up-close and personal look at Helena Wayne's Batwoman costume of the future on his Twitter, and there are a few things that are worth calling out.

Although the design isn't new, having already made its debut in previous issues of DC's time jumping comic, this more detailed look at it shines a new light on both the costume itself, as well as unrealistic expectations of female character design as a whole. In both comics and cinema alike, female superheroes, villains, and crime fighters often end up in hyper-sexualized and impractical outfits with little to no armament. Never has there been a woman who has thought "I might end up having to chase down some criminals tonight, I think I'll go with a sensible pair of three-inch heels," and yet that's the norm.

She may be shaping up to be a killer Batwoman in this future timeline, but her costume lacks practicality. It's comprised of skin-tight, flimsy-looking latex that seems as if it was vacuum sealed onto her body, a virtual lack of pants, and armor that basically only covers her breasts. If readers can see the definitive shape of a character's navel through their costume, then it's just too tight.

This isn't to take away from Mann's incredible artistic capabilities and the phenomenal character design he has done and continues to do. His artwork is undoubtedly detailed and dynamic. Unfortunately, he, along with many comic book artists and film costume designers, have fallen victim to patterns of a bygone era. But it's time to listen to the pleas of the masses. Yes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with feeling confident and showing some skin, but no woman in her right mind is going to wear a strapless costume that defies the laws of physics to go fight her enemies (looking at you Emma Frost in the New X-Men), or a skin-tight costume that would take an hour just to squeeze into and provides little to no protection.

screenrant.com

Batwoman's Future Costume Highlights Flaws in Female Character Design

How long must women wait for practicality?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You see the just the black and white crop and it doesn't look that bad,
not good or spectacular but like there's been worse.
you see the rest and it's like a parody.

And there's not even a cape, like I know they're not practical but no cape or even anything close to a wing? for someone in the bat family?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
That's really form fitting.

Also personally it makes me think more of a cat than a bat.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It'd look a lot better as a "Dark Knight family member that looks like a knight" redesign if they didn't have the boob armor, that's literally worse than having no armor.

Also if her costume wasn't...hugging every contour of her body because someone wanted to draw this one-handed, so to speak.

I like the helmet, shoulder armor and colors but the rest is just terrible.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't mind super heroes wearing heels. They look cool! But the boob armor on this is weird. Also hate the lack of a cape. I can't articulate why but it looks like she should have one and it's missing not that it's a capeless outfit.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I hate it.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Even putting aside the obvious issues covered in the OP, this is still a terrible costume

1930s Batman inspired cowl?
Utility armpits?
Shoulder pads that look like they're from a piece of Skyrim armor?

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the panel i saw in the comics OT that was a close up of her ass?

If the costume was just that it would be one thing but the artist/writer are finding excuses to highlight just how ridiculous it is.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly shocked there aren't cutouts for her boobs to stick out through the armor.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like 90% of superhero's wear skin tight latex outfits. Unless you're Superman & impervious to most what's through at you, everyone's costume is impractical. At least this costume has pants....Robin didn't have those for years. Even on Batman's current suit, you can count every ab & muscle under his skin-tight outfit.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the armored aspects. Add more armor to the lower body.

Looks half finished.p

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This isn't practical"

I mean, it's a comic book superhero. Their outfits are designed to be flashy. Nobody questions how realistic it is to prowl the Gotham rooftops in skintight bodysuits in the same way that nobody questions why a dude in his 30's and 40's is able to take down criminal empires without ever getting shot. Batman is often depicted without visible armor, and the 5-foot cape he wears is only going to be a hindrance to combat/movement.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
I actually don't mind the costume from the waist up, its just waist down it looks incomplete, like Clay Mann didn't bother to finish the lower half of the costume. It also doesn't help that Clay Mann can't help but sneak in butt shots of this character (and female characters in general it seems). Costume needs a redesign.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I get (and agree with) the heels complain. That stuff is just silly.
But the skin-tight issue is just a superhero thing, not just for women. And it's not being "what about!", just that that's the superhero style so you either like it or not.

That aside, I would have given her more armor, since it looks cool, and would have probably given her also a utility belt, since that's a Batman thing too.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's weird. It's like three costumes in one.

From above the chest, it's this kinda overdesigned, edgy early 00's look.

The mid-section looks like an Iron Man torso with boobs.

The belly-button down looks like a latex fetish suit.

Super weird.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
This looks bad and oversexualized. I'd say I'm disappointed with King but I've never been especially high on him.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So a nude catsuit AND boob armor.

Someone's been playing too many Korean RPGs.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
"This isn't practical"

I mean, it's a comic book superhero. Their outfits are designed to be flashy. Nobody questions how realistic it is to prowl the Gotham rooftops in skintight bodysuits in the same way that nobody questions why a dude in his 30's and 40's is able to take down criminal empires without ever getting shot. Batman is often depicted without visible armor, and the 5-foot cape he wears is only going to be a hindrance to combat/movement.

There are different levels of impractical. While Batman's outfit might not provide any real protection you can still function relatively normally. A lot of female comic designs are made for sex appeal over any pretext of function. High heels and boob armor are a bad design choice in general, but are also on another level of impractical.