• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I've watched every episode of the Arrowverse & didn't even realize the show was back until I saw the OT here pop up. And where are the rest of the Arrow shows? Feels like it'd be a bigger deal if, you know, Flash, Supergirl, & Legends were back with it. Feels like they're slapping their schedule together since Covid hit them last year.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
This has a lot less to do with the new lead and a lot more to do with the lack of marketing, the heavily revised scheduling and the NFL. Big recasts get morbid curiosity viewers more than people leaving en masse. Ratings also traditionally drop in the new year, but an October premiere obviously wasn't an option.

hell Flash and Superman got COVID delayed so they're still a month away. This year and TV production is going to be rough, that's how it is, check out some writers strike years

Isn't it going to get increasingly hard to to compete with the juggernauts of MCU D+ shows going forward?
I feel like low budget comic book network tv shows are on their way out.
I mean people said that about Marvel Netflix and literally every Arrowverse show outlasted it

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it a chance in season 1 and noped out. It's not that I dislike the recast, I think I'm just getting tired of the CW formula, which is why Legends is the only CW DC show that I follow anymore.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it was even on until an hour before it aired. I watch the shows on the CW App for free, though. I'll watch it eventually.

Maybe. I don't know. I didn't even get to the end of season 1 before getting bored and quitting.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
On the one hand, the CW renews their lowest rated shows (AKA the literal lowest rated shows on all of broadcast television) year after year. On the other hand, Batwoman is not part of the lucrative Netflix deal, so it may not get the same pity renewals to stretch out those streaming dollars. There are certainly reasons for and against why it may be canceled, so I won't really be surprised either way.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
They should have recast Kate to, at the very least, send her off. Add in Javicia Leslie's character on top of that and pivot to her as the lead afterwards

Oct 28, 2017
Does Batwonan have her generic team that tells her how to beat the bad guys like the others? Or is it just her and her obligatory cop friend?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They should have recast Kate to, at the very least, send her off. Add in Javicia Leslie's character on top of that and pivot to her as the lead afterwards

I think recasting just to send a character off in one episode is more awkward than having the character mysteriously disappear. At that point, wouldn't they just keep Kate?

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
  1. A lot of people stopped with the crossover
  2. Season to season dropoffs happen
  3. The decision to create a new character instead of recasting killed all interest from people who wanted to see Kate Kane
  4. Racists who stopped because their white character was replaced by a black character
This show has those four things working against it, and #4 is likely doing more damage than people think.

Three is probably doing the most work if we're being honest.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Does Batwonan have her generic team that tells her how to beat the bad guys like the others? Or is it just her and her obligatory cop friend?
Sounds like you haven't seen it? There are one or two secret helpers for Bat Cave and Wayne company stuff, and there's a Gotham security force for hire which isn't the police, and they're hunting her, except for one or two in that force who have a personal relationship with Kate Kane.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If they actually broke from the formula I might actually pay attention. As it is it's been there done that. The shows almost write themselves. But then again I don't think I'm their target demo anymore.

It doesn't seem that way. It seems like they're going to do a bit of drama about her having to prove herself, but I'd be surprised if they're not back to Guy in Chair status quo by the end of the season. Then, if it gets renewed, they'll probably segue into the "everyone else gets powers and costumes" phase.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have not been following ratings much during COVID, but how has ratings been in general?

I feel like folks are watching the news and sports, but not keeping up with week-to-week TV as much, but could be wrong.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I thought it was great all things considered. A main character replacement is never easy.

We'll see how well the rest of the Arrowverse shows far as well. I get the odd vibe that all of them will be down, possibly due to the long COVID break.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think recasting just to send a character off in one episode is more awkward than having the character mysteriously disappear. At that point,
What's the consensus on how they are going to handle the previous Batwoman's sudden disappearance?
Not mentioned ever again, or a series of flashbacks with no discernible actress in an ongoing mystery?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What's the consensus on how they are going to handle the previous Batwoman's sudden disappearance?
Not mentioned ever again, or a series of flashbacks with no discernible actress in an ongoing mystery?

They definitely left it open to bring Kate back eventually if they wanted to. I could see them having an ongoing mystery regarding the plane crash but I very much doubt they'll be doing flashbacks with a random actress whose face we can't see.

It seems like they largely want to move on.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

For further reference, here are The CW's 2019-2020 ratings by both demo and viewership.

4zviHtA.png

r5URATg.png

The CW is a very different beast and live ratings can't be compared to those of other broadcast networks (and even for them, live ratings have become less and less important).
Oh so it's doing just fine just a seasonal drop
Right. It seems Melissa wanting to leave was the main reason for ending the show. But those right wing comic sites don't care about the actual facts. They were pushing that Supergirl was doing badly for The CW and about to get cancelled for the past 3-4 years.

So when it finally does end, they act like they were right.
I'm not even the biggest fan of SG but yeah i don't think the ratings for that was ever bad

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oh so it's doing just fine just a seasonal drop

I'm not even the biggest fan of SG but yeah i don't think the ratings for that was ever bad

Yeah, ratings for Supergirl generally seemed to be middle-of-the-road. Usually safe for renewal but not an absolute like Flash, Arrow or Supernatural.

Based on the events of the last crossover (merging her world into the actual Arrowverse, setting up the Arrowverse version of Justice League, destroying the main set they've had since season 2 and introducing a new one), I think it's clear that they didn't plan on this coming season being the last.

But with Melissa seemingly wanting to move on, it was just time for the show to naturally end much like Arrow did. I think if she wanted to continue, it would go for another season or two.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people are just burnt out on these CW super hero shows.

Personally I tuned out of all of them sometime during season 5 of the flash.
I was burnt out of everything but Legends of Tomorrow, they decided to kick off Brandon Routh and I was out from that as well.

DC shows I'm down to
Doom Patrol
Titans
Stargirl
Young Justice
Harley

I'll watch GCPD & Peacemaker

I'll give Superman & Lois a shot.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
I wonder how many people are just burnt out on these CW super hero shows.

Personally I tuned out of all of them sometime during season 5 of the flash.

I dipped in the season of The Flash with The Thinker. I just couldn't take all the bullshit anymore. And also dropped Arrow after Season 5, cuz oh man, I was expecting an amazing follow up to my favorite season yet....and they just completely shit the fucking bed. Lost all interest in Legends shortly after as well.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm in this camp.
The 20+ episodes per season type of story-telling just isn't doing it for me anymore.
I honestly don't understand how people can withstand it this long.

Supernatural should have been max 5 seasons, 6 if I'm being generous. Then Arrow, Flash had 60% fluff and 40% content I gave a shit about in all the seasons I saw. These series have absolutely no business being that long. The Walking Cliffhanger as well despite that being on another show, having at times 5 minutes worthwhile content per episode.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Heresy.

That was one of the best shows on TV, despite some of the valid complaints.
The story got progressively dumber over time, but sure tell yourself that. Most of the series at this point is an excuse to have a bunch of best friends continue making a shit ton money with their best friends.

Deleted member 77553

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
I was burnt out of everything but Legends of Tomorrow, they decided to kick off Brandon Routh and I was out from that as well.

DC shows I'm down to
Doom Patrol
Titans
Stargirl
Young Justice
Harley

I'll watch GCPD & Peacemaker

I'll give Superman & Lois a shot.
I'm down to Titans and Stargirl atm. Will probably give Superman & Lois a shot.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably just a seasonal drop, but after this first episode of the season, I'd say the next episodes rating will be even lower. It was really, really bad. I think season 1 was bad, but I gave this a chance because I thought that since the new main actress (is that how you say it in English?) is better [since that's the only possibility coming from Ruby] the show was bound to improve. Then it was all awful. It's not CW bad. It's bad even for CW.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The story got progressively dumber over time, but sure tell yourself that. Most of the series at this point is an excuse to have a bunch of best friends continue making a shit ton money with their best friends.

Definitely not. The lowest point of Supernatural was season 7. It aggressively improved after that with a great season 8. And season 11 was one of the best seasons of the show that sits alongside the best of the first five seasons.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Not surprised tbh. 1st season was awful to sit through. Bailed by episode 3.

I only bother with The Flash. I couldn't get into the other shows no matter how hard I tried. Though I would be down for a Brandon Routh Superman. No idea why they're going for Superman & Lois, eugh.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Although I quite liked s1 I'm actually stopping watching all arrow verse shows apart from legends as they are all to long and just don't hold my attention anymore. The last season of arrow and supergirl were dreadful.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Stopped watching the show towards the end of S1. Even for CW standards it was just awful.