• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to hear that this show doesn't have a budget. It's listed as one of the marquee HBO Max shows.
Its just going to be streaming on there compared to the usual CW->Netflix, not an actual Max show.
Budget is the usual not even Titans level which is far below Doom Patrol's.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was a CW-ass premiere. Like, it checked off every box of a CW show pilot as if they've learned nothing from all the other shows over the years. I expect it will improve once the season is over and they find their footing.

I'm almost positive the voice-over narration and diary writing to Bruce will be axed as well as the amount of corny licensed music. But, you compare this to Titans and it's like night and day.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It's got more of a budget than your average CW show, based on the fact a lot of its outdoor shots are actually shot in Chicago rather than Vancouver.

That being said, the suit does look monumentally shitty. And having Wayne Manor (or some branch house of it?) and the Batcave both conveniently located inside the same building in the middle of downtown Chicago is pretty amusing.
That wasnt Wayne manor. Thats just Wayne Enterprises office Building. It just has a Batcave.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My biggest complaint is that Gotham doesn't look or feel like Gotham. It looks like it could be any city in Canada or America.

That's because it, like everything else, is Vancouver. I'm betting it'll get even less Gothamish fairly quickly as the CW inevitably chokes the budget out of the show.

It's got more of a budget than your average CW show, based on the fact a lot of its outdoor shots are actually shot in Chicago rather than Vancouver.

From what I remember that was just for the pilot. Get ready for the art gallery, library, Riverview, and that road beside the skytrain from here on out!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to make it through a full season of this show.

The annoying part is that I can already see exactly which role each of the side characters is going to slot into moving forward. They've set things up with the perfect set of stock CW character archetypes and it's probably not going to change.

Stepmom will almost assuredly turn out to be a secret full villain, stepsister is going to be the well-intentioned friend character who gets alienated and becomes an on-again-off-again bad guy (Killer Frost), they'll do a will-they-won't-they with Kate's ex, and Luke is gonna be the Cisco/Curtis type who spends most of the series hanging out in HQ until the actor gets bored and asks to do fight scenes until they again get bored.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That being said, the suit does look monumentally shitty. And having Wayne Manor (or some branch house of it?) and the Batcave both conveniently located inside the same building in the middle of downtown Chicago is pretty amusing.

That checks out, there have been numerous times in Batman's history where he wasn't living at Wayne Manor but an apartment in downtown Gotham which led to it's own batcave where he moved the stuff from the main cave too.

It's during the Time pre-crisis where Dick is in college and Bruce starts seeing Silver St cloud.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That checks out, there have been numerous times in Batman's history where he wasn't living at Wayne Manor but an apartment in downtown Gotham which led to it's own batcave where he moved the stuff from the main cave too.

It's during the Time pre-crisis where Dick is in college and Bruce starts seeing Silver St cloud.

I'm guessing that due to the generally run-down state of the downtown Batcave, this would be a backup cave, then. I was looking around for any trophies (giant coin, etc) from past villain defeats but this was a really, really spartan cave overall.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that due to the generally run-down state of the downtown Batcave, this would be a backup cave, then. I was looking around for any trophies (giant coin, etc) from past villain defeats but this was a really, really spartan cave overall.

Modern creators in film/TV don't seem to enjoy the trophies. Nolan and Snyder's Batmen also had pretty simple and kinda generic looking caves.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Modern creators in film/TV don't seem to enjoy the trophies. Nolan and Snyder's Batmen also had pretty simple and kinda generic looking caves.

You would think the Arrowverse take on Batman would be a little less prone to that, but I guess they're trying to be as cagey as possible about which villains Batman even took down...

Which is odd considering how much of Arkham we saw and we know Bats was active for at least 15 or so years based on how old Kate was in her flashbacks. And considering Oliver himself took down more than a few of Batman's bad guys.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Liked the pilot. Maybe I just really enjoy Ruby in the role. Felt like a good set-up. I guess we'll have the Alice story play out & then jump to the present day.

Oct 25, 2017
You would think the Arrowverse take on Batman would be a little less prone to that, but I guess they're trying to be as cagey as possible about which villains Batman even took down...

Which is odd considering how much of Arkham we saw and we know Bats was active for at least 15 or so years based on how old Kate was in her flashbacks. And considering Oliver himself took down more than a few of Batman's bad guys.
Hopefully we see the real batcave at some point

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got excited for about 4 seconds, when the kid says, Look it's batman. The rest of it was just ok. Hope it gets better.

Suit doesn't look bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
this is not a good pilot. fight choreography is decent, but that's about it. writing, acting (Rose and Skarsten are incredibly bland), and direction (the clumsy integration of flashbacks and the abuse of narration to underline plot points that shouldn't need underlining) are all below par by Arrowverse standards

also, while I get why they created an original love interest in place of Maggie Sawyer or Renee Montoya, I don't really understand why they couldn't use Bette Kane

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Does Kate even have a step mother and sister in the comics? I don't remember seeing that when I was reading those books 10 years ago.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
I liked the idea of her in the role, but it was mediocre at best.

Might watch another episode or two, buy looks like a pass for me. Don't have time for bad shows.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There was absolutely nothing that hooked me about the pilot. It's CW Superhero Show: The Show. We've seen these exact characters and dynamics several times already.

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
I really dug Kate as a protagonist. This was my first CW show in like two seasons, mainly because Flash's quality kinda took a drop after Savitar, but I was pleasantly surprised by the show. Excited to keep up with this during the lead into Crisis.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only real issue with the Pilot is the Batman timeline in relation to both Kate and the Arrowverse seems wonky.

also I assumed only the pilot was pre elseworlds.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was aight. So like Supergirl they need to stop constantly referring to their cousin. I imagine it will happen with time.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was more dull and sloppy than I thought it'd be. Like, there wasn't really anything in the premiere that made me want to see more, which is something I could say about the other shows.

Part of it I guess is that this just feels like a worse Arrow.

After stuff like Titans I was expecting more, but I guess CW is gonna CW.

Well yea, this is a DC CW show, not DC Universe, so it'd be weird to expect that lol

That said, we know they can do good premieres, as shown with Black Lightning S1, so yea, it was underwhelming even when being generous.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was aight. So like Supergirl they need to stop constantly referring to their cousin. I imagine it will happen with time.
At least he is missing, so that makes it better than the "Superman is on screen, but we can't show you him for reasons" of S1.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
She already is a better adaptation of batman's detective work than any live action batman movie xD

And dear god the suit was ugly. So ugly I expected the red wig one to appear on the first episode

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
That was...fine. Mostly. There's been worse Arrowverse pilots. They need to drop the narration quickly because it's adding nothing to the show and for whatever reason, Ruby Rose sounds like she's reading it out loud as some sort of chore that she needs to get through, so hopefully that will be one of the ways that the show finds its feet.

I wonder why they
didn't keep Alice's true identity more of a mystery instead of just bam revealing it immediately.
That was heavily signposted in online stories anyway. In some cases it was just spoiled outright. The CW shows do have a habit of dragging out this type of reveal but I think in this case it would have been silly.

My only real issue with the Pilot is the Batman timeline in relation to both Kate and the Arrowverse seems wonky.

also I assumed only the pilot was pre elseworlds.
I think they'd have struggled to get Batwoman to the point where she is in Elseworlds in a single episode. She'd clearly been operating as a vigilante hero for a while by that time. I guess we're going to have a timeskip or two.

I imagine so too, although I think they will struggle to bring the Batman plotline to any kind of satisfying conclusion. With Supergirl, it got really silly at times, but at least there was a slightly plausible narrative reason to have Superman out of the picture most of the time, since he was operating in a different city. Batwoman can't really bring back Batman and then have him not flying around Gotham.

At least he is missing, so that makes it better than the "Superman is on screen, but we can't show you him for reasons" of S1.
Let's all pause to remember the amazing Superman boots cameo from season 1.

Supergirl-TV-Superman-Boots-Cameo.jpg

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone talks up titans but it has a lot of the same issues as the CW shows, it's just hidden behind an optimized budget and cursing.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone talks up titans but it has a lot of the same issues as the CW shows, it's just hidden behind an optimized budget and cursing.

I don't disagree, I only think that show is just alright. But it was still a breath of fresh air compared to the beyond tired CW formula.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree, I only think that show is just alright. But it was still a breath of fresh air compared to the beyond tired CW formula.

id agree with season 1, but season 2 has shifted tonally and creatively more toward the CW stuff which I find it weird that certain parts of the DC fandom praise it so much.

forced drama
Character keeping secrets from each other
Somehow Deathstoke doesn't die fighting starfirw
Characters not in costume and using real names in front of villains

I still love it though.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Okay,just watched it and it was ok...not the greatest Origin story but she is good and I also like her sister,she played in Lost Girl,Reign and a few other shows,she is a good actress...will keep watching.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
id agree with season 1, but season 2 has shifted tonally and creatively more toward the CW stuff which I find it weird that certain parts of the DC fandom praise it so much.

forced drama
Character keeping secrets from each other
Somehow Deathstoke doesn't die fighting starfirw
Characters not in costume and using real names in front of villains

I still love it though.

Ah, I was speaking as someone that hasn't started S2 yet.

That's a shame.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I surprisingly enjoyed it. I was expecting the worst hearing impressions. Pretty average premiere, but not terrible. I enjoyed the fight scenes.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

Its just going to be streaming on there compared to the usual CW->Netflix, not an actual Max show.
Budget is the usual not even Titans level which is far below Doom Patrol's.
I see, well hopefully future DCU shows can continue to keep their relatively high budget. I guess Netflix helps subsidize some of those.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I did find it funny that the Bat Cave was under Wayne Building lol. But, having the heart of operation in the middle of city would make more sense (to me), then dozens/etc of miles away, thus leading to time wasting. Kinda like the 1st Arrow cave in the middle of the Glades and under his Club.

I do wonder where the Catmobile comes out though.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I don't think it's the actual Batcave. It's just a 2nd smaller one under Wayne Tower like in Dark Knight or the Arkham games.