• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Battletoads was a better game in 1991 than New Battletoads is in 2020. Context matters. It's not too surprising that, in the present day, a brand new entry made with modern players in mind is more enjoyable than an almost 30 year old game. I have many issues with the NES game, but it was absolutely a successful, beloved game at the time of its release. It was one of the last big NES games before the 16-bit era took over.

The game was beloved because it was like what the Souls games are today, extremely challenging. The game was never known for being a must have title like Goldeneye for example.

It's a real shame this doesn't have online co-op, turns this from a 'would try' into a 'will wait to try' for me. Can't help but feel it's wrecked the games review scores as well. It wasn't about to be a 90 rated game admittedly but to see it fall into that high 60s low 70s region that so many XGS games has is a shame.

I just hope the reasons for lacking online aren't that it's technically impossible because of how they've designed the game.

I do agree co-op makes total sense but they do have games that review well like Forza Horizon, Ori Will of the Wisps, Flight Simulator just came out, even Gears Tactics got decent reviews. Do you talk about them and if you do there is always something about them that could be better you want to inject into the conversation? Taking any opportunity to focus on what you don't seems like an odd way to participate in game forums.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Uhm from the IGN review "The 1991 game was difficult because the controls were awkward and stiff" ...the hell is he talking about, it was one of the most responsive game on the NES, the difficulty doesn't come from the controls at all lol

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see it settle at above 70 metacritic. Slightly disappointed it didn't hit 80, but I'm still intrigued by the game and I'll likely play it with my wife.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
What makes this "worse" than Streets of Rage 4? Because I dropped that game after 10 minutes, but Battletoads seems to have more charm.
Its not whether its better or worst, its about seeing a select few opinions from Critics, and as you can see a lot of people are loving battletoads. It really seems the ones that dont like it are in the minority here, which is why an average score doesnt always tell the full story.

My Opinion: I would say that Battletoads is one of the best Beat em Up games this generation ranking up there with Streets of Rage 4 and River City Girls. Funny enough i dont think either of those games got as high of reviews as they deserved either. RCG is 79 and Streets of Rage 4 which is viewed as one of the best Beat Em ups of all time is just an 82. Both deserved higher, and i can easily say that battletoads does, which is probably why im seeing so much love from fans online, and several critics as well. Im playing on the hardest difficulty, and the combat is brilliant. You have to use each toad in your arsenal to take advantage of different enemies, and you have to be precise. Very fast and fluid, with some fun side stuff like the bikes of course.

All I can really say without a doubt, is that its one of my favorite Beat Em Ups of the last 20 years, and also one of the more fun experiences ive had this generation.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhm from the IGN review "The 1991 game was difficult because the controls were awkward and stiff" ...the hell is he talking about, it was one of the most responsive game on the NES, the difficulty doesn't come from the controls at all lol
I wonder if he played the game via Rare Replay, where the controls are awful, due to the input lag. The controls felt great on the NES, playing on a CRT.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
seems decent. I might try it out. I still hate the art style though so I'm not sure.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Up to 73 Opencritic/72 Metacritic now which probably feels about right from what I've played so far?

Seems fun! I have zero nostalgia for Battletoads really (despite being a Rare nut, I totally missed Battletoads the first time around - I was more of a Digger T Rock kid!) so the nostalgia angle doesn't do a lot for me. Enjoying the gameplay in a Streets of Rage 4 way though.

That Battletoads Sea of Thieves ship set though... 10/10 *chefskiss*

BB18asNE.img

1*zKl06TptDtViTeC6NXxCyw.png

The Azn One

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So far I'm liking it. Art style wasn't my thing but playing it now, it fits with the narrative and humor of this game. Quite surprised at this tbh. Def not NES hard Battletoads era which I foundly still remember playing when I was a kid.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Up to 73 Opencritic/72 Metacritic now which probably feels about right from what I've played so far?

Seems fun! I have zero nostalgia for Battletoads really (despite being a Rare nut, I totally missed Battletoads the first time around - I was more of a Digger T Rock kid!) so the nostalgia angle doesn't do a lot for me. Enjoying the gameplay in a Streets of Rage 4 way though.

That Battletoads Sea of Thieves ship set though... 10/10 *chefskiss*

BB18asNE.img

1*zKl06TptDtViTeC6NXxCyw.png

Maaaaaan, just that set alone is a reason to play!

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
played up to half-way through the first hover bike section...just felt kinda boring so far, especially the hover bike stuff. the dialogue so far is trash, i wish i could turn off voice lines.
might end up not being bad for a gamepass game, though.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly expected better reviews, anyway here is our review.

www.lifeisxbox.eu

Review: Battletoads |

People got reintroduced to Battletoads with Rare Replay and having Rash in Killer Instinct. Rare IP's are popular and Microsoft allowed developer Dlala ...

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Despite the fact that I didn't play the original, the game's writing is genuinely funny, in my opinion. Definitely some chuckling moments in the first few levels I played. The art style fits the game.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
The first Battletoads was more or less at the end of the NES life. It was pretty famous not just difficulty...but it's Graphics. I remember it had never before seen effects. As a kid I was pretty impressed even though I could never beat it.

The Super Nes version was basically like a reboot. Same type levels just looked better. That one I beat.

Pretty amazing this new game got made.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
It deserves a 7,5/10 to me cuz no online and sometimes is difficult to understand the action.

the game is polished and fun ! congrats to the team

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no film grain. Not sure what Karak was talking about with that.
Really? a couple of us reviewing all had a VERY film grain effect and mentioned it. Thats crazy. Like you could legit see it throughout. May have been a graphical corruption then. I know of about 8 who all noticed it. Thats cool if that's all it was. Thats an easy fix

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Good reviews for this type of game! My son and I just finished Streets of Rage together so I'm looking forward to playing this one with him. From the sounds of it it thankfully is not as difficult as the old games.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Essentially an overall 7/10 score ain't bad. Good for Dlala Studios. Hopefully they'll add in online co-op.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying the game quite a bit, it really is a nice call back to the original battletoads (which I think a lot of people forget was a mashup of mini-games and not a straight brawler).

However no online in the age of COVID is such a sad missed opportunity, I would love to rip through this with my freinds but sadly I can't have them over and we can't play online.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing, sound effects don't seem to be working. Sometimes i can hear hits when striking enemies but most times it's nothing. Maybe i should reboot and see if that fixes it.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Hey I'm not saying anything bad about the new game. I'm looking forward to getting into it.

But coming in here all hot slagging off the original makes me defensive. It's like someone playing a few levels of Mario 3 and claiming it's a "shit game" and NSMB is better.

Maybe these reviewers actually are fans of the original games? Or maybe they are posturing? I don't really know.
To be fair, only playing the first few levels of Battletoads NES was not by choice for most players :p

The first few levels was the game to me until I played the rest via Rare Replay. It was pretty surreal finally experiencing the rest of a game I had owned for decades.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game is good is but it has some weird decisions that totally justifies its 70 rate in metacritic

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I just don't understand how this is getting a pass for not having online co-op. Knights and Bikes has online coop. How does this not?!
Is it getting a pass? It would likely have higher scores if it had online co-op. The game is great and would be an absolute blast online with friends, so it's a bummer that it doesn't have it, but it's still a great game and deserves the good reviews it's getting.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
As a massive fan of the originals, this was the one game that had me envious of Xbox owners. Well, that is until the game wasn't even mentioned in Xbox's latest showcase and just had its release date dropped with zero fanfare on Twitter. After that, I expected this to be a 7—not a bad game, but nothing to brag about. And the lack of online is head-scratchingly odd. I still want to get Xcloud for a month to play this on my iPad sometime in the future. Oh wait...

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so reboot didn't help, no one else experiencing sound issues? All I'm really hearing are grunts and stuff (which sound delayed really) but the actual sounds when hitting enemies are often not even there. It's completely distracting and ruining the initial experience honestly.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully the team gets to make a sequel. This strikes me as one of those games that can have a sequel that's leaps and bounds better than the first.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, doesn't sound like there's much beatmupage to this game:

If you do remember anything of the original games it'll probably be that they were primarily scrolling beat 'em-ups, not unlike the Konami TMNT arcade game, interspersed with vehicle levels and various other mini-games. The strange thing about this reboot is it starts out with the same basic mix of elements, with three scrolling beat 'em-up stages in the first act and a fairly complex set of moves that are different for each of the three toads.

But after that there's only one proper beat 'em-up stage in the second act and then… that's it for the whole game, bar a few single-screen boss battles using the same controls. We think the game is trying to be daring and unpredictable but it just feels as if the developer (Dlala Studios, who don't seem to have done anything major before) got bored of the whole concept early on and decided to go nuts. Or got lazy. Like we said, it's hard to be sure.

metro.co.uk

Battletoads review – reboot of the century or epic level troll?

Rare’s NES classic returns on Xbox One and PC, as Microsoft reinterprets the aging beat ‘em-up formula for the modern age.

Shame.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The combat and animations are pretty solid so far (Act II, Stage 3) but everything around it feels kind of uninteresting. The humor is really, really not for me, the level design is dull both graphically and gameplay-wise and all mini-games and the biking section have been pretty bland. It is mostly combat though so I think I'm liking it enough to finish it.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
Mediocre would be every outlet out there giving 60 for a overall 60 on meta or open.

This game looks divisive really. Lot's of "Recommended", "Excelent" with 75+ grades. But loooots of 2/10 as well...
ummmm, there are no 2/10 unless I'm missing something?

Attack of the Fanboy (no comment on the name) has the only "negative" score with 4/10

Apr 22, 2018
gaming age - 83
Areajugones - 80
comicbook - 80 and more reviews
so far 22 positive, 12 mix and one negative final score 77

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, it jumped up to 72 metacritic, that's nice. My bro played it earlier and said it was challenging so I got to check it out soon.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Pleasantly surprised by the metacritic at this point. I admit I was overly optimistic and thinking 80+, but after seeing it be in the high 60s, and now hover at around 72/73, I'm pleased. Looking forward to the game and I hope it's short actually. As I'm in the middle of a different game right now (Return of the Obra Dinn).