• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
OpenCritic (72)- https://opencritic.com/game/10017/battletoads
MetaCritic (73) - https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/battletoads

(8/10) Cubed3

(4/5) TrueAchievements
www.trueachievements.com

Battletoads review: creative cartoon clobbering courtesy of some crusty croakers

Rare's amphibious avengers return for the first time in over 25 years, with a varied, challenging, and entertaining adventure that thrusts the toads back into the spotlight in style.

Ars Technica
arstechnica.com

Battletoads game review: Good moments don’t save the toad-al package

What was once 256KB is now 10GB—so why does this series' return feel smaller?

(7.5/10) Xboxera
youtu.be

Review | Battletoads (2020)

"Made for Xbox One, PC and Game Pass, Battletoads attempts to re-imagine Rare’s 1991 effort which was a mish-mash of unrelated genres and gametypes with the ...

(Mixed) GameXplain
youtu.be

Battletoads REVIEW (Xbox One & PC)

The Battletoads are back for their first new game since 1994 but do they still have what it takes or are the Toads a little rusty? Find out in our review tha...

(8.5/10) Press-start
press-start.com.au

Battletoads Review – A Vibrant & Vivacious Rebirth

Battletoads Review – A Vibrant & Vivacious Rebirth

(Recommended) Nautilus
youtu.be

Battletoads - Análise

Apoie o projeto e permita que ele continue: https://apoia.se/nautilus | http://picpay.me/canalnautilus Pesadelo de 11 entre 10 donos de NES na década de 90, ...

(8.8/10)Power-Up Gaming
powerup-gaming.com

Battletoads Review (Xbox One) – Toadally Awesome - PowerUp!

If you're a gamer of a certain age (mid to late 30s) you'll likely have memories of Battletoads. If you're like me, they're mostly fond, with some frustration and despair mixed in for good measure. Having played and finished 2020's Battletoads, it's safe to say developer Dlala Studios has...

(Recommended) Echo Boomer
echoboomer.pt

Análise - Battletoads

Battletoads é uma das melhores surpresas do verão no Xbox Game Pass.

(9/10) God is a Geek
www.godisageek.com

Battletoads (2020) review: The shock of the year?

Battletoads is the reboot you never knew you wanted. It's fun to play and makes you laugh, two perfect ingredients for making a game well worth playing.

(5/5) VGC
www.videogameschronicle.com

Review: Battletoads is a brutally brilliant reboot worthy of the cult classic

Dlala delivers a rollercoaster ride of chaos, adventure and challenge that lives up to the Battletoads name…

(5/10) Gameinformer
www.gameinformer.com

Battletoads Review - A Shallow Swamp - Game Informer

This unfortunate reboot unearths the Battletoads name only to drag it through the mud.

(7/10) Destructoid
www.destructoid.com

Review: Battletoads

Rash, Zitz and Pimple ride again…literally Raise your hand if you still hold water for Battletoads outside of that GameStop meme....

(Recommended) Console Creatures
www.consolecreatures.com

Review: Battletoads 2020 | Console Creatures

The Battletoads are back after being bunkered away for 26 years. Dlala Studios has done the impossible and made these forgotten toads relevant once again. Don't call Gamestop, Xbox Game Pass has your game ready and waiting.

ACG
www.youtube.com

Battletoads Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Never Touch?"

Exclusive Plague Tale Requiem Hands on Previewhttps://youtu.be/8N4xdtwdXHICheck out the Last of Us Part 1 REVIEW! https://youtu.be/64EmsjJHJYcAlso check out ...

(8/10) IGN
www.ign.com

Battletoads Review - IGN

This reboot of the legendarily unfair beat 'em up is toadally radical.

(8/10) Wccftech
wccftech.com

Battletoads Review – Graceful Genre Hopper

Does the new Battletoads replicate the fun of the NES original, or is it a blemish on Rash, Zitz, and Pimple’s legacy?

(5/10) Metro.co.uk
metro.co.uk

Battletoads review – reboot of the century or epic level troll?

Rare’s NES classic returns on Xbox One and PC, as Microsoft reinterprets the aging beat ‘em-up formula for the modern age.

(3.5/5) Twinfinite
twinfinite.net

Battletoads Review - Why Yes, We Do Have Battletoads

Battletoads on Xbox One Battletoads is hands down, the weirdest beat 'em up game I've ever played, as it has you doing so much more than simply fighting

(76/100) Cogconnected
cogconnected.com

Battletoads Review – Almost a Triumphant Return

After nearly twenty years on the shelf, Rare Studios have revitalized the Battletoads series, and it's a colourful and hilarious romp.

(8/10) Down to Play Podcast
podcasts.apple.com

‎Down To Play Podcast on Apple Podcasts

‎Leisure · 2024

(2/5) Attack of the Fanboy
attackofthefanboy.com

Battletoads Review | Attack of the Fanboy

The Nintendo Entertainment System was known for its large library of insanely difficult games, which led to the term "NES Hard" being coined by gamers

(8/10) Dualshockers
www.dualshockers.com

Battletoads Review — Jack of All Toads, Master of Some

The Battletoads make their comeback after a 26-year hiatus and, for the most part, offer a solid re-entry into the cult classic franchise.

(8/10) GameSkinny
www.gameskinny.com

Battletoads Review: A Blast From The Past

Battletoads returns after 26 years, and it's a love letter to gaming past and present.

(6/10) Windows Central
www.windowscentral.com

Battletoads Xbox review: A brief budget brawler with party potential

Should this amped amphibian brawler have stayed in the past?

(8/10) Got Game
gotgame.com

Review | Battletoads - GotGame

The Battletoads are back with a brand new galactic adventure courtesy of Dlala Studios, bringing the cult classic toads to a new era of gaming. Our review.

(7/10) Gamepur
www.gamepur.com

Review: While not groundbreaking, Battletoads is a toadly acceptable new entry for the franchise

Updates to visual technology help bring the Battletoads to 2020, but in the gameplay, it’s clear they’re still living in the past.

(8/10) One More Game
www.onemoregame.com.au

Review - Battletoads - One More Game

Spread the loveThe story of the Battletoads begins in 1991 where the well-established Rare (formally Rareware) jumped on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bandwagon to create games that the turtles could call its rival. The Battletoads would not shy away from imitating...

(4.5/5) Den of Geek
www.denofgeek.com

Battletoads Review: Rocks Harder Than the Original's Pause Music

The return of Battletoads is well worth the wait. I guess you are what you eat because this game's absolutely fly.

(4.5/5) MKAU Gaming
www.mkaugaming.com

Battletoads (2020) - Review | MKAU Gaming

Since the very first game released on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1991, Battletoads quickly became an iconic franchise that somehow has still remained relevant today, despite not having a new release in 26 years since Battletoads Arcade released in 1994. Unfortunately the series was...

(4/5) Comic Book
comicbook.com

Battletoads Review: The Perfect Blend of Fun and Frustrating

The history of video games has been littered with infamous titles over the years, but few games [...]

(8/10) Gamespew
www.gamespew.com

Battletoads Review – GameSpew

The Battletoads are back, and they really mean business in this wonderful reboot that mashes up many genres with great success.

(9/10) PCMR

(9.5/10) Geeks & Com
www.geeksandcom.com

Battletoads édition 2020

Battletoads est une réussite. Tant au niveau des graphismes colorés que de la jouabilité, Battletoads est un incontournable!

(9/10) Games & Reviews
www.gamesreviews.com

Battletoads Review

Finally, the answer to the question “Do you have Battletoads?” is an emphatic “Yes!”, at least if you have an Xbox One (or PC) and subscribe to Gamepass (which...c’mon man. If you’ve got an Xbox One, you should have Gamepass).

(8/10) Game Skinny
www.gameskinny.com

Battletoads Review: A Blast From The Past

Battletoads returns after 26 years, and it's a love letter to gaming past and present.

(8/10) Game Reactor
www.gamereactor.eu

Battletoads - Review

"Battletoads might just end up being one of the best titles to come out of an Xbox Game Studio this year."

(2.5/5) PC Mag
www.pcmag.com

Battletoads (for PC) Review

A blast from the past, Battletoads doesn't have much going for it once the nostalgia wears off. The newest series entry has solid brawling action, but its frustrating mini-games and other genre-blending challenges quickly overstay their welcome.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My Ars Technica review:

arstechnica.com

Battletoads game review: Good moments don’t save the toad-al package

What was once 256KB is now 10GB—so why does this series' return feel smaller?

Arguably, I'm more heartbroken than most potential Battletoads players. Unlike the NES original, this new game benefits from milder default difficulty, particularly thanks to respawn and checkpoint options during the most brutal sequences (which can be disabled, should you seek more challenge). And many of the above comparisons won't register for people who barely remember this series' brief place in the Nintendo Power spotlight.

The larger issue, arguably, is the lack of online multiplayer. Unlike Streets of Rage 4, Battletoads is offline-only, so if your ideal playmate can't get to your couch as of late, I'd recommend other superior beat-'em-up options. Should you have a good two- or three-person posse on your couch, and you already pay for Xbox Game Pass, expect a funny, brief, 10-and-older cartoon romp. But Dlala has implemented just enough obnoxious stuff between Battletoads' good bits to stop me, a pretty freakish Battletoads fan, from recommending that anyone buy it outright.

Last edited:

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So glad to see this game doing semi-well. One of my favourite franchises growing up.

Last edited:

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
8.8 from us.
No online is weird, but hopefully there's a patch

Battletoads is utterly ridiculous and stupidly good fun which is exactly what we need right now.

powerup-gaming.com

Battletoads Review (Xbox One) – Toadally Awesome - PowerUp!

If you're a gamer of a certain age (mid to late 30s) you'll likely have memories of Battletoads. If you're like me, they're mostly fond, with some frustration and despair mixed in for good measure. Having played and finished 2020's Battletoads, it's safe to say developer Dlala Studios has...

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh pretty good reviews.... surprising, excited to play it now.

EDIT: Ooof that Meta drop, maybe not...

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No online coop means I'm not even considering trying it. It's just not up to standards, especially right after Streets of Rage 4.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like this turned out fine in the end. Online Co-op would be nice in this COVID world though.

Edit: On second round, the 70 meta seems like it's a bit more polarizing than that first wave of reviews let on.

Last edited:

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Here's mine in portuguese for Echo Boomer. "Very Good - Recommended"
echoboomer.pt

Análise - Battletoads

Battletoads é uma das melhores surpresas do verão no Xbox Game Pass.

I wasn't expecting liking it so much. It's just like a good saturday mornig cartoon full of challenges absurd mini-games and hella fun.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Game Informer is not having it. 5/10. "The Battletoads reboot unearths a classic franchise only to drag it through the mud".

OOF

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Jawmuncher
Recommended
The Battletoads are back after being bunkered away for 26 years. Dlala Studios has done the impossible and made these forgotten toads relevant once again. Don't call Gamestop, Xbox Game Pass has your game ready and waiting.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
And here's the written version for those that prefer the format!

xboxera.com

Review | Battletoads

https://youtu.be/vdO4XtehShM With Handling Great Memories, Comes Great Responsibility As a child of the 80's and early 90's, many of my most powerful

(Score is 7.5)

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I'm disappointed with no online but I'm looking forward to play it with my kids.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand how this is getting a pass for not having online co-op. Knights and Bikes has online coop. How does this not?!

EDIT: perhaps "getting a pass" was the wrong wording... if I was reviewing this game the lack of online would've drastically affected my review as this sort of game is made for online coop. I was simply surprised that the reviews I had watched hadn't made a bigger deal of it not being there.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I gave it a 7.5 which I consider a good score. It's a fun game. Won't make a lot of the traditionalists happy though. Humor is aimed at a younger audience. If you don't have expectations based on Battletoads nostalgia but like retro games, there's a lot of fun to be had here. Would've been even better with online coop.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Review threads for Game Pass games feels weird. I mean 5/10, 7/10, 8.5/10...it all seems pretty irrelevant for a Game Pass game. I'm sure it's not a huge download. Is anyone here not going to try it because of bad reviews?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Game Informer is not having it. 5/10. "The Battletoads reboot unearths a classic franchise only to drag it through the mud".

OOF
I played through battletoads arcade today in anticipation for the new one

the new one on the first level is already better than battletoads arcade

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
no online coop is a no from me even if it's on gamepass. time is an expensive thing nowadays. shame.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Review threads for Game Pass games feels weird. I mean 5/10, 7/10, 8.5/10...it all seems pretty irrelevant for a Game Pass game. I'm sure it's not a huge download. Is anyone here not going to try it because of bad reviews?
You can still buy the game too :P

And it's also on Steam, which doesn't have Game Pass.