• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

You want a Battletoads blowout? GO ON THEN! Here's 25 minutes of Dlala Studios and Rare Ltd brawling, biking and blasting through some choice cuts of the multi-genre adventure on Toad difficulty, through the magic of Steam Remote Play in order to help us maintain social distancing.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think I just need to play this game at this point to get a feel for it.
Still don't find the art style super appealing but the gameplay looks fun.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Steam remote play for multiplayer? Is Battletoads meant for local co-op only?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not my style of game but it was fun last year when I tried it, and it seems to have improved a lot too. Digging the artstyle. Definitely gonna play through it with my fiancè.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Game looks awesome can not wait to get my hands on it. I'll def be playing Zitz as ge seems to be the fastest character.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how far this has come along since the initial reveal. It's looking really solid, which I was not at all expecting to think when it was first revealed.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I think I just need to play this game at this point to get a feel for it.
Still don't find the art style super appealing but the gameplay looks fun.
I'd say the artstyle for it fits, having played a good bit of it. I'd be excited to see what else this studio does next.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
This looks so good, one of my most anticipated games of the year lol. I love these quirky smaller games.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
looks great, but bummed about the lack of online co-op. especially when they started talking about how the game really steps it up when you have two players in the field.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Did Cuphead ever get online multiplayer? Wonder if it's hard to do these hand drawn game online? Most likely answer I guess is these two games are made by small teams and they have to prioritize their time. Still odd though.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Did Cuphead ever get online multiplayer? Wonder if it'd hard to do these hand drawn game online? Most likely answer I guess is these two games are made by small teams and they have to prioritize their time. Still odd though.
Streets of Rage 4 have online coop, there is no reason why BT don't have it while backed by almighty MS.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Wait... What? I am surprised as everyone here that it has no online co-op... That's a damn shame, and kind of a missed opportunity. :(

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
I personally do not like this tone they gave the game. The brutality of the first one is all gone with the big hiting moves. A chicken? really... ok... where are the boots with spikes, the drills and that stuff, it seems like they made it rated E and don't get me started on the Dark Queen lol. The art style is not what i wanted for this game. I mean it's not ugly, it is what it is but I just don't like this art for this game at all :( Sad to have waited all these years to finally get a new game and just end up not liking it at all.

Going from this

www.youtube.com

Battletoads arcade 3 player Netplay 60fps

Best viewed in 60 fps (only available on HTML5 player). I'm player 1, vhr2121 is player 2 and Mark is player 3. https://www.youtube.com/user/vhernandez2121/

to what they have shown is just jarring to me.

Last edited:

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
Difficulty explains why no online coop. Look how precise you need to be. Any lag would kill the gameplay.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Lack of online co op is a complete shame normally.
In the age of COVID 19 lack of Online coop is a hilarious oversight. Please start working on a patch.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I personally do not like this tone they gave the game. The brutality of the first one is all gone with the big hiting moves. A chicken? really... ok... where are the boots with spikes, the drills and that stuff, it seems like they made it rated E and don't get me started on the Dark Queen lol. The art style is not what i wanted for this game. I mean it's not ugly, it is what it is but I just don't like this art for this game at all :( Sad to have waited all these years to finally get a new game and just end up not liking it at all.

Going from this

www.youtube.com

Best viewed in 60 fps (only available on HTML5 player). I'm player 1, vhr2121 is player 2 and Mark is player 3. https://www.youtube.com/user/vhernandez2121/

I think that's valid, but the animators still deserve a lot of credit because the new version animates worlds better than the original.

Oct 19, 2018

Going from this

www.youtube.com

The arcade game is certainly more violent, but this feels pretty in line with the NES version to me, which I'd argue is more memorable...

Also I've seen a lot of Dark Queen commentary, and we'll find out soon whether this happens or not, but maybe she transforms later in the game? Her current design is obviously more modest, but she is allying with the Toads to take on the new threat, so it could just be a way to make her seem like she's turned a new leaf. In the end maybe she won't, and while her look is certainly different, I don't think its some great travesty that she isn't a 1:1 representation of her old self in the new style.