• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Good morning,

While I feel that probably most who were interested in this turn-based, squad-based, mech-based strategy and tactics 'em up from 2018 will have bought and played this by now; this thread is just here to advertise what is likely to be my personal LTTP GOTY for this year at a highly valuable sale price.

Base-players who were ever interested in the DLC might also snap up the three expansions at half price (although some might posit that these remain overpriced).

www.gog.com

BATTLETECH

Also Available on GOG.com: BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition BATTLETECH - Season Pass

Also, with thanks:

www.resetera.com

BATTLETECH |OT| Kill the meat, save the metal

When: April 24th, 2018 (9am PDT) Platforms: PC, Mac (and Linux later) Price: Standard 39.99€/$39.99, Deluxe 49.99€/$39.99 Developer: Harebrained Schemes Publisher: Paradox Interactive BATTLETECH is a Kickstarted game, details of the campaign here. Review thread here. FEATURES Turn-based...

Key Selling Points IMO:

1. Engrossing detailed world

I value so much the way Harebrained Schemes consistently do so much with so little. A good bit of art, a good bit of dialogue, create powerful connections for the player, beyond what the AAA space can hope to achieve with ever deeper and more expensive forays into the bottom of the uncanny valley barrel.

Economy of design here is marvelous, with time and expense spent where it matters most, and art picking up the slack elsewhere.

The story missions are finely crafted and great fun, while the endless background missions, although they everntually repeat a little, are mixed up to the point of providing a fairly convincing lived-in universe. I'm RPG-ing as the commander of a space-hopping band of Mechwarrior mercs, and it's fantastic.

2. Compelling strategy and tactics

The gameplay loop is sublime imo. Go into battle, return as unscathed as possible, perform repairs or tweak loadouts, pick the next contract and either travel to meet it or update your pilots' skills and go again as soon as you have a healthy Lance of 4 mechs and pilots.

On occasion battles can admittedly descend into dull wars of attrition, but for the most part are sick fun. In your loadouts you must balance offensive and defensive capabilties into a tight weight envelope, and then in battle use positioning to balance the ability to deal damage with the ability to resist or avoid it, while also being subject to the vicissitudes of heat buildup and stability damage.

The salvaging of enemy mech parts is a key motivator. By selectively targeting your opponents' body parts you could neutralise some of their abilities, incapacitate the pilot, or render the chassis inoperable. The decisions you make affect the type and quantity of components available for you to pick over after the fight, and by collecting chassis parts you can progressively augment your roster of mechs to take into battle.

3. Did I mention the price?

Seriously that's all I feel I need to type, that's a killer one-two knockout punch for me and has kept me glued to my PC for the last 2 months ish. Hopefully this humble thread might alert, prompt or persuade someone else out there to pull the trigger on this modern gem.

Last edited:

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Also on gamepass if you have that and want to try before you buy. The new Mechwarrior also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
myojinsoga

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Also on gamepass if you have that and want to try before you buy. The new Mechwarrior also.

Excellent point, give it a shot if you have GP!

Alternatively you could get the digital deluxe edition along 7 other games for almost the same price in the Humble Best of Paradox Bundle.

OK, awesome, didn't know about this!
Top price of £9.44 includes Tyranny, Stellaris, EUIV and other games which I know not of ...

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very interested, but waiting for the DLC to either get much cheaper, or get included in a complete edition.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Probably my favorite tactics game that isn't XCOM Long War, and there are ways I prefer BATTLETECH.

Shame about the performance, though, even on my extremely good PC.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Battletech is great.

Roguetech is a sprawling, misshapen, PC jank masterpiece if it works for you

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I have meant to start new campaign and check out DLC along the way.

Did devs ever do any major rebalancing or is pure tonnage still a king?

OP
OP
myojinsoga

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I have meant to start new campaign and check out DLC along the way.

Did devs ever do any major rebalancing or is pure tonnage still a king?

I didn't play much of the base game before deciding I couldn't live without all the expansions. I got them at half price and considered the whole package a great exchange.

I therefore can't compare with launch. However I am no longer really bothering with light or medium mechs in my campaign, near the end.

How's the DLC?

Does the season pass from the Mercenary Edition include everything?

I think I would avoid that bundle, according to my abacus it would be less to buy the base game and 3 expansions in the season pass separately?

www.gog.com

BATTLETECH - Season Pass

The BATTLETECH Season Pass includes Flashpoint, Urban Warfare and the upcoming BATTLETE

My abacus and I are in frequent disagreement however ...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Was the game patched and polished? Always felt rough from the videos I watched at release. Long loading times, poor performance, lots of jank (animations, shooting through obstacles). It just wasn't very pleasant to look at IMHO. How is it today?

OP
OP
myojinsoga

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Was the game patched and polished? Always felt rough from the videos I watched at release. Long loading times, poor performance, lots of jank (animations, shooting through obstacles). It just wasn't very pleasant to look at IMHO. How is it today?
I have a pretty good PC and a pretty fast SSD and I've found it really ok in that regard. I can imagine typical performance being not great still. In my completely uneducated opinion I would put it down to a Unity tax rather than lack of care on the part of HBS? But the same event regardless.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

it runs better now especially with the Battletech Performance Fix.

But still some hiccups when loading missions and explosions.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
The game's performance gets worse the longer it runs, worth a restart every couple of hours imo.

Otherwise a fantastic TBS, I've put hundreds of hours into it.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Still waiting for a decent discount on the DLC. The fact that you can buy the entire package (base game, season pass and deluxe content) for less than the price of the season pass by itself is ridiculous. I mentioned this on the Battletech subreddit today and got downvoted to the max. Really?
Yes, it's great. Vey deep role-playing with lots of consequences to your decisions. It's a shorter RPG than Pillars of Eternity, but with more branching story lines.
Yep Tyranny is great. It's a shorter game as it is meant to be replayed again and again. Just another game that I need to do another play through on but can't find enough time!

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's cheaper for me to buy the mercenary collection even though I already kickstarted the base game. That should never be the case.
I think that's a problem that isn't uncommon with Season Passes. They seem to never go on deep sales, while complete editions do. But I agree with you. There should be an option for owners of the base game to upgrade a bit cheaper because you already supported the game.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think that's a problem that isn't uncommon with Season Passes. They seem to never go on deep sales, while complete editions do. But I agree with you. There should be an option for owners of the base game to upgrade a bit cheaper because you already supported the game.
Skyrim was the same. Cheaper to buy the legendary edition than buy the DLC. Steam has functionality that allows for 'complete your collection' but doesn't seem to be universally implemented. Meh, I'll just wait it out a bit longer.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
myojinsoga you made me buy this game. I read up some of your impressions in the OT as well. 5-8 years ago this game would have been a no brainer for me anyway. But I kinda fell off turn-based strategy game. They just feel a bit boring and slow to me nowadays. But maybe I just didn't play/try the right ones. I was a huge Battletech fan during my schooltime, we played the tabletop game quite a bit and I loved the universe.

I am also a sucker for games where you have your space ship, manage your crew and travel the universe. The RPG mechanics in this game look solid as well and I trust Harebreed Studios with dialogue and lore after Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

So if this game can't I think no game can reignite my enjoyment of turn-based strategy games. I went for the Mercanary Edition over the humblebundle, because the only other game I wanted from the bundle was Stellaris and that's only the base game as well. So, looking forward to dive into this later this day.
Skyrim was the same. Cheaper to buy the legendary edition than buy the DLC. Steam has functionality that allows for 'complete your collection' but doesn't seem to be universally implemented. Meh, I'll just wait it out a bit longer.
I wanted to suggest to you that you can buy the Mercenary Edition and just gift the Base Game to a friend. But the Mercenary Edition is only one Steam-Key, at least at humblebundle :-\

OP
OP
myojinsoga

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
myojinsoga you made me buy this game. I read up some of your impressions in the OT as well. 5-8 years ago this game would have been a no brainer for me anyway. But I kinda fell off turn-based strategy game. They just feel a bit boring and slow to me nowadays. But maybe I just didn't play/try the right ones. I was a huge Battletech fan during my schooltime, we played the tabletop game quite a bit and I loved the universe.

I am also a sucker for games where you have your space ship, manage your crew and travel the universe. The RPG mechanics in this game look solid as well and I trust Harebreed Studios with dialogue and lore after Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

So if this game can't I think no game can reignite my enjoyment of turn-based strategy games. I went for the Mercanary Edition over the humblebundle, because the only other game I wanted from the bundle was Stellaris and that's only the base game as well. So, looking forward to dive into this later this day.
I wanted to suggest to you that you can buy the Mercenary Edition and just gift the Base Game to a friend. But the Mercenary Edition is only one Steam-Key, at least at humblebundle :-\
Welcome to the party! I really hope you do enjoy. Certainly if you enjoy spaceship life, and have a good connection to the lore, that bodes well. For myself I've kinda slowed down with age, and these days lean more towards games that give me time to ponder!

Missions do take time (there are options to speed things up which I haven't turned on), so I tend to get through one, or at most two missions per session. It becomes a similar time commitment to a one-hour TV episode at that rate. It helps me combat the addictive nature of the game, knowing that missions take a while - so at a certain point I really have to hit STOP and go to bed.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the party! I really hope you do enjoy. Certainly if you enjoy spaceship life, and have a good connection to the lore, that bodes well. For myself I've kinda slowed down with age, and these days lean more towards games that give me time to ponder!

Missions do take time (there are options to speed things up which I haven't turned on), so I tend to get through one, or at most two missions per session. It becomes a similar time commitment to a one-hour TV episode at that rate. It helps me combat the addictive nature of the game, knowing that missions take a while - so at a certain point I really have to hit STOP and go to bed.
Created my character and played a bit of the tutorial and the artworks and music are already super good. Very atmospheric. And Battletech is just such a cool universe. Always reminds me of Dune but with mechs. Yeah, this looks promising. Will dive deeper tonight and tomorrow.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
8 hours in and I really, really like it so far. I don't remember all the rules from 15+ years ago, but this feels like a 1:1 adaption of the tabletop game woven into some super-cool Space Commander CRPG. It also seems pretty epic in scope. Running errands and unlocking stuff is motivating. And building mechs brings nearly endless possibilities.