• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deadline is reporting that the showrunner of a spy drama The Little Drummer Girl and a scriptwriter for Macbeth and Assassin's Creed will be the showrunner of Peacock's Battlestar Galactica reboot:

deadline.com

‘Battlestar Galactica’: Michael Lesslie To Write & Exec Produce Peacock Reboot Of Sci-Fi Franchise

Peacock’s reboot of Battlestar Galactica has found its world builder - The Little Drummer Girl creator Michael Lesslie.

EXCLUSIVE: Peacock's reboot of Battlestar Galactica has found its world builder. Michael Lesslie, who was the lead writer and showrunner of AMC's spy drama The Little Drummer Girl and penned scripts for Macbeth and Assassin's Creed, will create, write and executive produce the series.

The new Battlestar Galactica comes from Mr Robot and Homecoming exec producer Sam Esmail, who struck a big overall deal with NBCU's Universal Content Productions last year. It is produced by Esmail Corp and UCP, with Esmail and Chad Hamilton also exec producing.

NBCUni's Universal produced the original Glen A. Larson-created Battlestar Galactica series for ABC. UCP, then known as Universal Cable Productions, produced the successful Ronald D. Moore revamp that ran from 2004-2009 on the then-Sci-Fi Channel.

Lesslie will work up a reimagined world.

Lesslie said, "I am beyond excited to be taking on this iconic and inspirational show. As a lifelong devotee, I know that the possibilities of Battlestar Galactica's world are infinite and that each iteration has raised the bar for epic and intelligent sci-fi storytelling. The teams at Esmail Corp, UCP and Peacock are second to none, and I already know that we are going to honour Glen A Larson and Ronald D Moore's landmark series and break new boundaries with our own vision. It's a dream come true – one I just can't wait to share with fans, new and old alike. So say we all."

Oct 28, 2017
This was posted like two weeks ago. I thought Sam Esmail was working on this but it appears he just hanging his name on it. Way less interested.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Wait, am I confused? I could have swore they last said it wasn't a remake/reboot, but some weird thing that accepted the last reboot as canon?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why this article is calling it a reboot when everyone involved with it says it's not. It takes place in the same universe as the Ron Moore show but it's not a reboot.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
This was posted like two weeks ago. I thought Sam Esmail was working on this but it appears he just hanging his name on it. Way less interested.
Yeah, shortly after the Esmail announcement Mark Bernardin mentioned being brought in to pitch his ideas for showrunning and them passing on it. So at that point I knew much like the Cylons, Esmail didn't enter into this with an actual plan.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
My understanding is he's very much involved with it, he just didn't want to do the whole showrunner / writing / directing thing again like he did with Mr Robot.
Yeah, I guess we'll see how it plays out. Usually this kind of set-up means that he's involved with some initial concepts and story ideas, but then fucks off for the rest of the series with his credit at the top (like JJ Abrams and LOST).

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is he's very much involved with it, he just didn't want to do the whole showrunner / writing / directing thing again like he did with Mr Robot.

Hmmm....that put a damper on my excitement for the show. Do we know what he has planned next? Correct me if I'm wrong but he wasn't all that involved with the upcoming second season of Homecoming right?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm....that put a damper on my excitement for the show. Do we know what he has planned next? Correct me if I'm wrong but he wasn't all that involved with the upcoming second season of Homecoming right?

He didn't direct the second season. Not sure of his involvement other than that. I haven't been following that show as much as I should be.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Not to go full conspiracy theory (the man said before going full conspiracy theory), but you can read this:

BSG fans, this will NOT be a remake of the amazing series @RonDMoore launched because... why mess with perfection? Instead, we'll explore a new story within the mythology while staying true to the spirit of Battlestar. So say we all!

As vaguely-worded enough to allow for interpretation. It's not a remake of Ron D. Moore's Battlestar. Ok. That can just mean the new show doesn't feature the same characters and situations as RDM Battlestar.

But the second sentence is pretty carefully worded - "explore a new story within the mythology". That just means you're using the same set-up as the Larson and GOAT Battlestar -- a ragtag human fleet is fleeing extermination by an enemy called the Cylons, and these humans are somehow related to our planet.

"while staying true to the spirit of Battlestar" -- that right there is a tip-off that they're doing their own thing with the concept, and it syncs up with the quote from the new showrunner:
I already know that we are going to honour Glen A Larson and Ronald D Moore's landmark series and break new boundaries with our own vision.

Now excuse me while I go set-up my new YouTube channel and somehow blame Kathleen Kennedy for all of this.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are probably being cagey with the nature of the show because it's likely a sequel and they are keeping that as a surprise.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...and he's gone:
deadline.com

Mike Lesslie Adapting Margaret Atwood’s ‘Maddaddam’ Trilogy At Hulu, Exits ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Reboot

EXCLUSIVE: Hulu is doubling down on Margaret Atwood adaptations with a TV version of her book Maddaddam in the works. It comes as the streamer is set to premiere the fourth season of Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale next month and renewed the drama for a fifth season. Michael Lesslie, who was the...
Michael Lesslie, who was the lead writer and showrunner of AMC's spy drama The Little Drummer Girl, will write the pilot script for Maddaddam and will also exec produce.

It comes as Deadline understands that Lesslie is no longer involved in Peacock's reboot of Battlestar Galactica. He was previously set to create, write and exec produce the series for Sam Esmail and UCP.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Aronofsky was actually working on that Maddaddam stuff a few years ago.

edit - reading the wiki on this oryx and crake shit, that's a pass for me.

Last edited:

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...and he's gone:
deadline.com

Mike Lesslie Adapting Margaret Atwood’s ‘Maddaddam’ Trilogy At Hulu, Exits ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Reboot

EXCLUSIVE: Hulu is doubling down on Margaret Atwood adaptations with a TV version of her book Maddaddam in the works. It comes as the streamer is set to premiere the fourth season of Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale next month and renewed the drama for a fifth season. Michael Lesslie, who was the...
Do we know who's replacing? Little Drummer Girl was fantastic.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...and he's gone:
deadline.com

I want Sam Esmail to be the showrunner.