• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 1, 2018
I tried playing Battlefront 2 again last night I just cant get into it. I was wondering why because I put over 300 hours into Battlefront 1. I loved the first one even though it wasnt perfect, but the map design, the walker assault mode / maps, the general reaction hit animations and especially the graphics are just so much superior.

Now battlefront 2 looks cartoonish and somehow worse than the first one, the maps are horribly designed in my opinion (by horrible designed i mean how the layout is not only the graphics).

Especially the hoth and desert maps looks so good in battlefront 1.

am i the only one? am i going mad? everywhere i see people praising battlefront 2.

whats wrong with me?

Especially the explosions of the grenades were so good in bf1.

just look at the draw distance, the details, the particle effects and even the DRAW distance was so much better.

what happened?!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Optimization. Battlefront 2 might have more
In the way of other features that are expensive so maybe visual prowess took a back seat to
Those

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Battlefront 1 was polished to hell in both regards. Battlefront 2 had waaay more content so they couldn't focus on it on the same level of detail

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The graphics are arguable, but I think BF2 plays waaaayyy better than BF1. Some maps are better than others, but the core gameplay is great in BF2.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Eh BF2 in general is just busier, so much more going on. BF1 was a smaller game, less assets available on screen, smaller maps, etc so they were able to focus more on the graphics. BF2 expanded on everything and has so much more going on all around.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder what next generations battlefront moment will be? When battlefront came out in 2015 it looked so beyond anything else on the market. Was a great example of what those consoles were capable of, even with compromised resolutions

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
A ton more is going on in an average Battlefront 2 match so they had to scale back effects, happens all the time with sequels.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BF2 guns are hitscan instead they aren't in BF1.
So blasters and lasers feel a bit more "Star Wars" but honestly BF2 is much more fun once your brain understand that.

The 2 things I really miss from BF1 EA is the survival mode that was pretty fun with a friend and some maps like the Death Star trench run for example

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The gunplay in Battlefront 1 is just so much more satisfying than 2's.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I agree, I only played BF2 beta, but I hated it. I can't exactly point you why but it didn't play as good as 2015 (which I loved). I think 2015 felt more arcadey, something that a lot of people hated but I actually liked it.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
BF1 never got that Pro/X patch like BF2 did and as a result there's a lot more jaggies and blurrier. So yeah, gotta disagree there.

Now how it plays, no doubt it plays way differently. I go back and forth with myself with which one I prefer in that regard.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Don't worry Nintendo is doomed since 1983. You're just like the new cool kid in town.

Actually you can see how much more optimised BF2 is on consoles, where the original ran at 900p on PS4 and is now at a dynamic 1080p (never dipping even close to 900p afaik). That's while boasting more complex geometry, having a ton more content and many varied maps with cool new materials used on the Naboo palace map for example. That just wasn't there and/or possible in BF1. What I remember from BF1 is that it was a solid base for future iterations but it was really lacking in content and map variety. I'm not sure why one would focus solely on the graphics in BF1 - it really can't hold a candle to BF2 in any other aspect.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
As others have pointed out, BF2 has been greatly optimized for consoles, and as a result feels and plays pretty great on them.

Pey

Nov 27, 2017
Argentina
It felt more arcadey and I felt like you could be the hero of the match if you played well. I liked it way more than BF2.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the hero characters in these games destroy it for me.

I can't enjoy it when you have some idiot doing flips and shit and 1 shotting me with a lightsaber.

Shit sucks and I bounced off of BF2 very quickly.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Wait what? I played the hell out of em on PS4 and i think Bf2 gunplay is MILES better.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they listened too much to the people who came from Battlefield expecting a core shooter instead of the arcade shooter the series was.

So the gameplay pivoted halfway to being a core shooter so now it's both a bad arcade shooter and a mediocre core shooter.

They cut down on mobility, added accuracy penalties for hipfire and firing while moving, added significant recoil, and reduced the FoV for infantry in third person.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I think the difference is even bigger with Battlefield 1 versus Battlefield V. If you ask me, it was the same with BF3 and BF4, but less obviously so. Going by that, we should expect the next Battlefield/-front entries to look amazing again. God I'm ready for next-gen.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
What a disappointment that was.
Bf2 got worst on the two things Bf1 did well, visual and gameplay ( mostly mobility ).

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Dolby atmos is the reason I still play 1 and had forgotten about 2 existence.

Did they add dolby atmos?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can find elements where Battlefront 1 beats its sequel, but when taking in everything the sequel offers, even just visually, everything going on in a map, the scale, the visual variety, it really is the better looking game. It certainly is the better playing and balanced of the two, even if again, there are somethings I preferred in the original. I really am quite fond of this series, even if the second one took a little while to come into its own. I've thoroughly enjoyed Dice's output this generation.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
B1 is utterly lacking in any content. And is a far inferior game.

I cannot understand why people even wanna die on this hill.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Dolby atmos is the reason I still play 1 and had forgotten about 2 existence.

Did they add dolby atmos?

I have no idea but I also had the best sound experience I ever had with a game with BF1.
I have a very old 5.1 sound system that I have to connect via optical out into an adapter for these red and white cables and for some reason, the BF1 sound just worked absolutely perfect with my system, it was so f'n mind-blowing.
Then I played 2 and it was bad. Just bad, the sound wasn't even nearly the same.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I also think I read somewhere that they used way more original assets in BF1 that were scanned via Photogrammetry.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Meh, I prefer BF2 over BF1. At least with BF2 the additional content didn't fragment the playerbase.

Maybe if I had played BF1 on console I would've liked it, but the game died out very quick on PC.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Its not worse.

The differen e is that BF1 was a first person game first and foremost with third person clearly tacked on.

BF2 is the reverse. A third person game first and foremost with first person tacked on.

BF1 is about accuracy and longer ranged engagements. The focus is shooting and killing.

BF2 is about getting close, movement, using abilities and such. Weapons are weaker and your opponents have more survivability.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
When it comes to content, BF2 is the obvious choice. However, for everything else I'd pick BF1.

Oct 27, 2017
Overall BF2 feels like a more complete game, but I agree, BF 2015 looked and played better to me. The problem was lack of content, it kinda felt like a demo for a full game we never got.

I'm guessing at least part of the reason the level of detail and polish went down with the sequel was to try to produce content more quickly.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
with how many different classes there are BF2's combat feels like a clusterfuck.

also i miss the BF1 jetpack. that was my favorite part of the game.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I do really like the blaster bolts visually speaking in BF (2015). I think BF2 would really benefit from those.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Jumping into BF2 (2017) that was one of the most striking things to me where the look and feel felt noticably downgraded from BF1 (2015) when playing on PC max graphic settings for both.

With the amount of Patches BF2 got maybe it got better, and if you use some mods likely even more so. But overall the game was a big let down on mutliple fronts...