• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Battlefield V has way better gunplay than any previous Frostbite Battlefield game. If the Pacific content turns out good then I would even dare to say that BFV is one of the better Frostbite Battlefields. Way better than BF1 at least.

Nah, one of weaker Battlefields. Overall BF1 was stronger package.

• Gunplay may feel good, but balance is utter joke. Few guns are fully automatic lasers for all ranges making them vastly superior to everything else, M16A3 syndrome of balancing.
  • Vehicle balance is... well.. there kinda isn't any. Bombers have nuclear warheads with invulnerability to AA and on ground lighter the tank is better it's against everything making heavies like Tiger 1 paper tigers that you laugh at.
  • Map count at this point of games lifespan is very weak when compared to previous offerings and this content drop starts weak too with just 2 maps.
  • Map design has taken turn for worse too. Favoring particle effects and clutter over visibility so they had to bolt spotlight into players, even then you can just disappear by proning to some rubble.
  • Etc

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but be omega disappointed with the way they've hyped up the pacific, 2 maps? with one coming later? Battlefield 1's middle of lifespan Russian expansion launched with 3 maps and then followed up with 3 more a month later. The pacific theater is battlefield to me, so to see it get such a weak offering is really disheartening.
I'm curious what they will do next if anything at all. They said 3 Pacific maps before 2020 when Pacific was announced so this was known. We don't know what's beyond that, could be a couple more Pacific maps, Eastern Front, D-Day or nothing.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious what they will do next if anything at all. They said 3 Pacific maps before 2020 when Pacific was announced so this was known. We don't know what's beyond that, could be a couple more Pacific maps, Eastern Front, D-Day or nothing.
I wouldn't doubt that more is coming, the amount of work they've likely put into the new soldiers (think of all the voice lines) would be pretty wasted if they only make use of them on 3 maps.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could muster up some excitement for this but Battlefield V is really too far gone. I've been playing this franchise since Battlefield 1942 and yet, I cannot push myself to get more than a day of playtime in with BFV. The weapons aren't handled well and don't have unique recoil patterns, sounds or designs which makes them all very boring to play with, there are still numerous visibility issues with character models blending into environments, the map design has completely fallen off of a cliff and everything is just a variation of "open field with five big buildings scattered in the distance to house Conquest flags", vehicles are far too weak and feel disposable, character customization is laughable and basically just includes 100 variations of gas masks, manual healing is totally unnecessary and doesn't fit with the flow of the game and all of this is totally removed from the issue of limited available content with major franchise staple modes like Rush being given the shaft. For shits and giggles, DICE also likes to neglect their new modes too - remember Firestorm? DICE doesn't!

It's not unreasonable to say that Battlefield V is without a doubt the worst entry in the franchise, rivaling junk like Battlefield Play4Free. It's a half baked, unpolished, glib facsimile of the Battlefield franchise and it may honestly be the death knell for me when it comes to the series even as someone who has literally poured thousands of hours in the franchise throughout the years. It's weird to have an actual revulsion for a game but I honestly can barely stand to even see the tile on my Ready to Install page. I just have nothing but disdain for this entire game yet I somehow hoped that this update could maybe change my mind but I really cannot muster any excitement for it. Modern DICE just really knows how to disappoint me.

My feelings are similiar. I do think that the gunplay in BF5 is actually good, easily the best in the franchise. However, BF to me was never just a shooter. The infantry combat was always just one part of it. It was always a grand scale war simulator, and BF5 really let me down in that aspect. The map design is shockingly poor for the most, and the vehicles feel like got massive shafted in favour of infatry focus. BF1 was not perfect, but that game captured the chaos and scale of war so damn well. BF1 had 10x thicker atmosphere than BF5. The map design was way better, the balance between infantry and vehicles was way better, behemoths may have created balance issues but they were incredibly spectacular and fun to play around.... etc etc.

Furthermore, DICE's post launch support has been all over the place. I am kinda baffled at how long it took for new factions to actually arrive, and most importantly, new maps. The myriad of bugs introduced with updates, and the long time it taking to fix them. Also, I remember near launch when DICE just raised the TTK for a week, without bothering to balance the rest of the game, and then apologized and reverted it. it just didn't feel like that DICE was equipped to handle a live service game, which is strange considering they did pretty well in the past.

I guess ill give the pacific update a go at some point but while the trailer is cool, I'm not particularly feeling the excitement because of all the above. so for now, other, new games enjoy priority.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield V has way better gunplay than any previous Frostbite Battlefield game. If the Pacific content turns out good then I would even dare to say that BFV is one of the better Frostbite Battlefields. Way better than BF1 at least.

🖐🏾 BF1 is superior to BFV in every way except for character customization and even then BFV only wins that because of intentional BF1 design decisions

Like someone else said there are basically two map designs in BFV with slight variations in setting and that's it. It's truly bizarre. I think of map designs in BF4 for example and there was a great variety available one year in.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that Italy, the Bulge and the Eastern front, Stalingrad, Kursk and Berlin are coming after the Pacific.
We're just scratching the surface of WW2 I really want more.

Normandy Maps:
Omaha Beach
Inland Map (Harvest day remake, farmland, French villages)

Eastern Front:
Stalingrad
Propaganda remake in Russia

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
🖐🏾 BF1 is superior to BFV in every way except for character customization and even then BFV only wins that because of intentional BF1 design decisions

Like someone else said there are basically two map designs in BFV with slight variations in setting and that's it. It's truly bizarre. I think of map designs in BF4 for example and there was a great variety available one year in.
BF1 gunplay is terrible. Suppression, hold down trigger for lmg and it becomes more accurate. It really was catered to 'casual' gunplay.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
$19.99 on PSN this week (US)

Battlefield™ V

Game contains In-Game Purchases Enter mankind’s greatest conflict with Battlefield™ V as the series goes back to its roots in a never-before-seen portrayal of World War 2. Experience all-out multiplayer with your squad in the vast Grand Operations and the cooperative Combined Arms, or take on...

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• Gunplay may feel good, but balance is utter joke. Few guns are fully automatic lasers for all ranges making them vastly superior to everything else, M16A3 syndrome of balancing.
  • Vehicle balance is... well.. there kinda isn't any. Bombers have nuclear warheads with invulnerability to AA and on ground lighter the tank is better it's against everything making heavies like Tiger 1 paper tigers that you laugh at.
  • Map count at this point of games lifespan is very weak when compared to previous offerings and this content drop starts weak too with just 2 maps.
  • Map design has taken turn for worse too. Favoring particle effects and clutter over visibility so they had to bolt spotlight into players, even then you can just disappear by proning to some rubble.
  • Etc
Every Battlefield since at least 3 (if not all of them to be honest) has had some variant of these issues, many times worse.

Almost every single gun in BFV is viable to use. Some are better than others sure, but most of them still do their jobs well.

I only started playing in June so maybe this was bad before but I've had no issues with vehicles. I've found great success with heavy tanks by playing tactically, keeping my back to friendlies, and keeping my distance from the conflagration.

As for the maps, yes this game has more weak maps than most other recent BFs but it also has excellent maps like Arras, Twisted Steel, Panzerstorm, Mercury, Al Sudan, and (depending on your disposition) Operation Underground. As for the number, yeah it launched with a dearth of maps but every post launch map has been good and while it may be disappointing that we aren't getting the same number as in the past, those were all paid map packs that split the community. Good luck finding a full Naval Strike server today.

Visibility is one of the legitimate issues with the game that still needs addressed.

I honestly hated BF1, it was so boring I barely got 20 hours in it. BF4 was also trash for the first 9 months or so, whenever DICE LA took over patching.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
does it include a anti cheat system ?

sorry, I want to be exited for this game, but I just can't.
the game plays nothing like the trailer :(

Jan 4, 2018

Normandy Maps:
Omaha Beach

Eastern Front:
Stalingrad

What I would love :
- a Kursk map with a huge amount of tanks
- Berlin / Reichstag like in CoD WaW
- Okinawa / Shuri castle like in WaW
- a Normandy map that would be inspired from the battle of Ramelle (Saving Private Ryan)
- the Bulge
- new and better tanks

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
There's a nice stream of new weapons coming too. I'm excited to try out the M1, Arisaka, and Sherman.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It looks good, but have they fixed the various problems with the game?

Like the assignment system for example? Do I still have to do random dumb things that hurt my performance and my team in order to unlock stuff? Or did they finally fix that?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017

• Etc
I've heard the exact same complaints for BF1 though. Its like every game since 3 starts off really bad and is either fixed down the line(4,maybe 5) or stays mediocre(BF1,Hardline).

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

• Etc
Weapon balance was horrible in BF1. The medic rifles were stupidly OP. Sniping required zero skill as well, since DICE decided to nerf bullet drop. SMG bullets turned into cotton candy after 100 yards or so. And the maps were small and chokepoint heavy which made most matches feel like a meat grinder. Which is fine for awhile but anything that shallow is going to get old real fast. Average player skill level in BFV seems way higher than BF1 so it's obvious who stayed and who moved on.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey at least it's out before my Origin Premiere or whatever runs out. I'll give this game one last go when this comes out.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Weapon balance was horrible in BF1. The medic rifles were stupidly OP. Sniping required zero skill as well, since DICE decided to nerf bullet drop. SMG bullets turned into cotton candy after 100 yards or so. And the maps were small and chokepoint heavy which made most matches feel like a meat grinder. Which is fine for awhile but anything that shallow is going to get old real fast. Average player skill level in BFV seems way higher than BF1 so it's obvious who stayed and who moved on.
Not to mention the insane amount of explosives and gas, especially pre the nerf. Battlefield 1 was a train wreck in terms of balance, but then again DICE had that going for them since at least BF Vietnam. And that's without taking agressive regen, random cones of fire, and other trash mechanics into account. BFV is a pure shooter for fans of shooters, for better or worse.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Not to mention the insane amount of explosives and gas, especially pre the nerf. Battlefield 1 was a train wreck in terms of balance, but then again DICE had that going for them since at least BF Vietnam. And that's without taking agressive regen, random cones of fire, and other trash mechanics into account. BFV is a pure shooter for fans of shooters, for better or worse.

Still tho, i played BF1 a ton more just cause of the superior maps. The maps in BFV up until lately have been atrocious.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What do you think of BF3, BF4 and BF1?
Fantastic but the blue tint was a terrible visual choice and destruction was sorely lacking. Aside from that, it's probably one of my favorites in the franchise. Battlefield 4 is objectively better but this is my preferred between the two by a hair.

Started off incredibly rough, became one of the most content rich and diverse multiplayer shooters of all time. While I wish there was more destruction outside of the Levolution gimmick, I think it proudly stands beside Battlefield 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 as one of the best entries in the franchise.

Meh. It really nailed the spectacle but the way that weapons were handled (five variations of a single gun) wasn't too thrilling and most of the maps felt incredibly claustrophobic which, while fitting for the WW1 theme, wasn't too great from a gameplay perspective. Everything felt like a new spin on Operation Metro. DLC maps were fantastic at addressing my issues with this though and eventually, it became a great Battlefield game, just far from one of the best. Probably on par with Battlefield 2142 in my opinion which is to say that I really like it, just don't love it to pieces.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Can someone explain to me why there is no custom servers in bf5? Every battlefield game has it, i juts dont understand. 24/7 wake island/iwo jima etc would be nice to have

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget that they reintroduced random deviation to the series with BF1. It felt like trash to play.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
It looks great, but based on everything else with BFV... It is hard to get excited.

We will get this on the 31'st. Wake Island will be pushed back and / or we won't get anything else until July.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
What you said about OU is not true. Feel free to not take my words for anything. :p
In what sense ? ( what happened or the reason it happened ? ie if Al soondan wasn't ready for 4.6, OU would still have been delayed ? like at no point it was thought, "we can allow ourselves to do that additionnal quality pass because we still have something like al soondan already released with the patch" ).
I might I missed something from the communication timeline since it might be on reddit or twitter on different post / source.

Last edited:

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I hope Bad Company 3 brings back the doritos.

I'm tired of not being able to see other players, and ultimately getting killed by someone I thought was a log in some rubble.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A solution to the visibility issue I've seen proposed is making a recon plane squad requisition that spots enemy players in a section of the map for a specific amount of time.

Make it be able to be shot down by planes and put a limit on how many and how often it can be used and I could see it working well.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
A solution to the visibility issue I've seen proposed is making a recon plane squad requisition that spots enemy players in a section of the map for a specific amount of time.

Make it be able to be shot down by planes and put a limit on how many and how often it can be used and I could see it working well.
GUEST_ac2b08b4-12e8-496c-ab09-dd530740da9c

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely confused why they didn't release Wake Island first and Iwo Jima afterwards.

Wake Island is the big one people have been asking for since the day this game was announced...

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
At this point yes I would take the Doritos
It's not really BFV anymore with Doritos everywhere. I'm sure they'll be back in the next one.

They could exaggerate the character model rim lighting and uniform color saturation for the cases where you're literally looking right at the guy and you still can't see them. But if they're properly hidden in cover and get the jump on you then that's just smart play. The previous game's design decision to allow spotting through objects puts a heavy emphasis on aiming and de-emphasizes battlefield awareness, ambush tactics or smart movement.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep that's an epic Dice trailer again.
Seriously.
Sometimes it feels like they spend more time designing these trailers than the game. The game is nowhere near as fun as their trailers.
At least it got me to install the game again. The summer DLC did that too and I didn't even actually play the damn thing, maybe this time around it's better, but I doubt it with Modern Warfare and Outer Worlds being out.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Normandy Maps:
Omaha Beach

Eastern Front:
Stalingrad
yea this game is just a massive missed opportunity. IDK what they were thinking with the maps...they should have played BF1942 before making this game :/

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely confused why they didn't release Wake Island first and Iwo Jima afterwards.

Wake Island is the big one people have been asking for since the day this game was announced...
Drip feed GAAS bs doing work. Gotta keep you hooked as long as possible. I hope they drop tides of war model for next gen.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Map design has taken turn for worse too. Favoring particle effects and clutter over visibility so they had to bolt spotlight into players, even then you can just disappear by proning to some rubble.

This shit. This shit x100. Realism is fine, but a line was crossed and gameplay took a backseat. If I died in BF3-4 9/10 it was because I over extended and paid for it with hot lead to the gut. 9/10 I die in BFV because I literally cant discern people from the map itself because of the sheer amount of visual noise and thats with the massive improvement with the rim lighting added. I find it highly ironic that I die far less in Operation Underground...the fucking meatgrinder map because there isn't piles of rubble everywhere that blend in with the colors of soldier uniforms. BF1 improved realism in visuals a great deal over BF4 but not at the cost of playability. I was never not able to tell where people were. Instead that game just had a problem with too many maps with no cover...which is highly characteristic of WW1 and the need for trench fighting lol

Jun 1, 2019
I just deleted BFV a week ago, but a Wake Island and Iwo Jima remake is exactly what I needed to pull me back in.
I hope Bad Company 3 brings back the doritos.

I'm tired of not being able to see other players, and ultimately getting killed by someone I thought was a log in some rubble.
Me too, gameplay slows down too much without it.