• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018
I think the probability of seeing one from DICE is extremely low. Battlefield V's design and support failings aside, I suspect EA/DICE also see this as a failure for a revive of WW2 themed titles (even if COD WW2 did fine). Battlefield: WW2 I reckon is well and truly dead for the foreseeable future.

I reckon we'll have to look to other devs for a historically accurate WW2 experience. I dunno, maybe someone can coax Ubisoft to revive Brothers in Arms.

I think the reveal trailers and stupid development decisions (like the focus on unkown battles) play a big part in why COD WW2 was a massive succes and why BFV failed.

The D-Day sequence alone in COD's trailer was enough to make of this a good reveal trailer.

There is no doubt for me that a BFV multiplayer-only with
- every major factions (USSR, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, USA, Italy)
- 10 iconic locations (Stalingrad, D-Day, El Alamein, Kursk, Iwo Jima, Berlin, Okinawa, the Bulge, Wake Island, Monte Cassino)
- a good reveal trailer instead of the catastrophic one we got (the launch trailer and the Pacific trailer were so much better but it was already too late at this point)

would have been a success.

Launching a new WW2 Battlefield after all this time with only unknown battles from 1940 and only Germany and United Kingdom (while wasting resources on failures like the single player, the co-op mode or Firestorm) was such a stupid decision. Who decided this and thought it was people were asking for ?

This game is such a waste. A good gameplay, yet a golden opportunity completely missed.
Shame on me for having bough the Deluxe edition. I guess the battles I was looking forward (Berlin, Stalingrad and the Bulge) will never happen in this "journey through World War 2".
Worst live service ever, worst deluxe edition ever.

Last edited:

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I haven't played in 8 months, reinstall this week and see auto balance still ain't fix, and see it's still pathetic as it was 8 months ago, I join a conquest game in progress, didn't join on a friend, yet it put me on the team with more players, it was 17-3, Dice if i did my job as poorly as you did i would be fired...

Oct 27, 2017
I was really confused what you guys are talking about so I looked it up on reddit and found their official statement. And then I was even more confused since it didn't sound like they end support for the game. Only the comments from the official accounts in the reddit thread cleared it up somewhat.

Seems they can't even get that right.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Sad and pathetic ending for the game. What's most interesting to me is that Firestorm ended up being my favorite piece of content from the game. I was excited for it to get continuous updates but when I realized that it wouldn't be updated anymore (sometime last summer/fall), I almost completely stopped playing BFV completely. I logged in and gave some hours to the Pacific maps but they never really caught me like I hoped. Multiplayer in general didn't really capture my attention compared with BF1 and BF4. Lack of maps, poor vehicle/weapon/cosmetic unlocks, bugs galore, fuck ups on things like TTK and visibility just absolutely killed the game for me. What a shame. I'd love an amazing WW2 shooter that's not COD and DICE/EA completely dropped the ball.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Sad day for battlefield. I think the thing that sours me on the game is the time spent with it wasn't all that rosy. I mean BF1 vs BFV is vastly different. Both had their rough patches but for me the experience was such that the good outweighs the bad in BF1. And all the negativity from others did seep into my opinion.

Hopefully DICE will rebuild their studio and the engine for GaaS capability and move forward fine. I will not buy the next DICE game tho without serious reforms, AAA means something and having tank skins, one of the most visible cosmetics be delayed for years....plus everything else...if I want early access, I just brought Mount and Blade Bannerlord and I enjoy it way more than BFV.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I've held onto the notion of "It's okay if Chp 6 sucked. Maybe Chp 7 will blow it out of the water."

It really is disappointing, especially when Chapter 5 seemed to be the turn around for DICE and BFV. And then DICE had to go and shoot themselves in the foot with halfway through with 5.2 and the incredibly lackluster Chapter 6 Update.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I think the probability of seeing one from DICE is extremely low. Battlefield V's design and support failings aside, I suspect EA/DICE also see this as a failure for a revive of WW2 themed titles (even if COD WW2 did fine). Battlefield: WW2 I reckon is well and truly dead for the foreseeable future.
That's really my biggest fear.
Like if a bad company 3 or any new modern era battlefield was a failure, I wouldn't expect them to forget about that era for 10+ years, and while the games are different, I know I would have numerous alternative from other studio. In comparison WWII fps are far less likely to be released by other studio and I wouldn't expect another WWII battlefield in the next 10 years now.

Between this and the fact it's likely we will see them try to also distance themselves from the ( amazing ) gunplay bfV has, given how much someone apparently tried to put the player retention problem on it, twice. It feel like bfV not only a wasted our chance of seen a truely good WWII bf for a long time but might also lead to seeing Dice take all the wrong lessons from it's failure.

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!
It's over brehs

giphy.gif

I'll remember the gunplay

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Just played a lenghty session Squad Conquest again. It's an amazing new addition to the franchise, great pacing and tense firefights. They did a good job with most of the maps in SC, standouts for me are still the the first three maps as the mode dropped: Arras, Rotterdam and Hamada.

One thing i never really understood is why DICE changed the majority of TDM map layouts and crippled them to the thing that they are now. Fjell and Aerodrome were amazing back then... Fjell especially is a joke of a TDM map now.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The pacific content was great. Everything else was alright. Played and won a match of firestorm and forgotten about it. Welp I hope the next bf game will deliver.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I would honestly be happy if the next BF game just mashed up all the maps from BF3, BF4 and Hardline. + BFV gunplay.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The main thing about it was with big enough explosives you could create massive craters in the ground. Big enough to act as foxholes.

BC2 didn't have that as much but BC2 introduced being able to level buildings.

Ah I see so a combination of both could end up in something really grand. Let's see where DICE is headed next.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The main thing about it was with big enough explosives you could create massive craters in the ground. Big enough to act as foxholes.

BC2 didn't have that as much but BC2 introduced being able to level buildings.
If I remember right, that level of destruction was also back in battlefield 3 beta but they removed it for the game release ( also sadly added a giant blue tint all over the screen between the beta and release ).

:/

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I would honestly be happy if the next BF game just mashed up all the maps from BF3, BF4 and Hardline. + BFV gunplay.

That would be great.

I honestly loved BFV for most of it's time, but I never had as much fun as I had during the Beta. I know it was highly criticized, but to me that vision was the best. Actual attrition to force teamplay, gritty battles, etc.

The rotation of Rotterdam > Panzerstorm was the best of two worlds.

Look at what they did to my boy. A WW2 without the Eastern Front or D-Day

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly loved BFV for most of it's time, but I never had as much fun as I had during the Beta. I know it was highly criticized, but to me that vision was the best. Actual attrition to force teamplay, gritty battles, etc.

I praised the beta for this reason. Vehicles (tanks in particular) were very heavy, ammunition/health was scarce, and there seemed to be a huge emphasis on survivability, squad focus, and attentiveness to the moment-to-moment play. Squads and vehicles had a defined presence in the map, and it made even the smallest actions seem important. Like your squad might be trying to take capture point, or pushing up the side, and the small battle felt intense and exhilarating because every shot counted, and the survival of your squadmates could make or break the success of the team. It worked.

DICE and EA's problem is that they don't know what they want Battlefield to be, or there's contention splitting the direction. This is a game positioned as a AAA blockbuster multi million dollar mass market shooter, no matter how we spin it. And so there's a constant dissonance between intent of game systems and balance, and accessibility and time-to-action. Battlefield 1 was heavily steered in the rapid pace, fast to action, super accessible direction and I'll maintain that it worked well within that framework. The issue with Battlefield V is that from early on it was clearly doing the exact opposite. No spotting, high damage, high accuracy, low ammo, low health, powerful vehicles, emphasis on squad play.

It is, for lack of a better word, a more hardcore focus where the emphasis on moment-to-moment play is more about the intensity of singular gunfights and player survival, less about turn and burn. But Battlefield, since Battlefield 3, has built an enormous following of people who do not want to play this. They want a meat grinder, they want fast-to-action combat loop, and they want the game systems to be as accessible and direct as possible. It's how you end up with them backtracking on the attrition, because ammo and health less of a thing to be concerned about encourages players to jump in and endlessly spawn/die. The small maps encourage speed to action, as players just run into gun fire. The overarching design diminished the necessity of team play and intricate combat focus in favour of your meat grinder bullshit. It's why maps like Locker, Metro, and Underground are so popular. The former two came about at a time where DICE was happily pandering to the meat grinder, where being part of a team doesn't matter. Battlefield V wants to continue doing that, having players effortlessly jump in and rush into battle, but it didn't start that way and the framework of the game fell apart.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I praised the beta for this reason. Vehicles (tanks in particular) were very heavy, ammunition/health was scarce, and there seemed to be a huge emphasis on survivability, squad focus, and attentiveness to the moment-to-moment play. Squads and vehicles had a defined presence in the map, and it made even the smallest actions seem important. Like your squad might be trying to take capture point, or pushing up the side, and the small battle felt intense and exhilarating because every shot counted, and the survival of your squadmates could make or break the success of the team. It worked.

DICE and EA's problem is that they don't know what they want Battlefield to be, or there's contention splitting the direction. This is a game positioned as a AAA blockbuster multi million dollar mass market shooter, no matter how we spin it. And so there's a constant dissonance between intent of game systems and balance, and accessibility and time-to-action. Battlefield 1 was heavily steered in the rapid pace, fast to action, super accessible direction and I'll maintain that it worked well within that framework. The issue with Battlefield V is that from early on it was clearly doing the exact opposite. No spotting, high damage, high accuracy, low ammo, low health, powerful vehicles, emphasis on squad play.

It is, for lack of a better word, a more hardcore focus where the emphasis on moment-to-moment play is more about the intensity of singular gunfights and player survival, less about turn and burn. But Battlefield, since Battlefield 3, has built an enormous following of people who do not want to play this. They want a meat grinder, they want fast-to-action combat loop, and they want the game systems to be as accessible and direct as possible. It's how you end up with them backtracking on the attrition, because ammo and health less of a thing to be concerned about encourages players to jump in and endlessly spawn/die. The small maps encourage speed to action, as players just run into gun fire. The overarching design diminished the necessity of team play and intricate combat focus in favour of your meat grinder bullshit. It's why maps like Locker, Metro, and Underground are so popular. The former two came about at a time where DICE was happily pandering to the meat grinder, where being part of a team doesn't matter. Battlefield V wants to continue doing that, having players effortlessly jump in and rush into battle, but it didn't start that way and the framework of the game fell apart.

Yep, a pretty big clash between different visions on what Battlefield should be. A big fuck up because not even the marketing team was on board really. The reveal trailer was nothing like the game even in earlier versions

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was that radio tower mode time limited? That was my favorite modein the game at the time. It felt like the perfect fusion of Rush and Conquest. The freedom of conquest but the tighter action of Rush.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I to this day don't understand why :/
I still think that this :
is even more mind boggling. We were going to have an "official" ( but still kind of hidden ) way of removing it because at least someone was listening to our plead, only to go back on that for some bullshit reason. How comes things like that not make you think that something isn't fucked somewhere up there either at Dice and/or EA.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
is even more mind boggling. We were going to have an "official" ( but still kind of hidden ) way of removing it because at least someone was listening to our plead, only to go back on that for some bullshit reason. How comes things like that not make you think that something isn't fucked somewhere up there either at Dice and/or EA.
lol I remember that debacle. People were so happy when DICE said they were gonna remove the blue tint as an option but then they changed their minds and decided not to, good times. BF3 looked so beautiful in the alpha without the blue tint.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
lol I remember that debacle. People were so happy when DICE said they were gonna remove the blue tint as an option but then they changed their minds and decided not to, good times. BF3 looked so beautiful in the alpha without the blue tint.

Oh god I had no idea about that o.o I remember countering it a bit with ReShade back then but this hurts :(

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Wow just catching up with Dice taking BFV out back and shooting it in the head.

This game just feels like the most massive missed opportunity. The ingredients were there for fantastic MP game if Dice leadership and direction hadn't been so horrific.

It was my most played game of 2019 with about 185 hours because there was seriously good fun buried underneath the rubble,as long as Dice could pull their finger out and add decent map content and make the right bug/QoL fixes.

No need for me to re-hash all their bungling and mistakes so I'll just say that initial 6 week period of the Pacific content drop with perfect TTK was just glorious.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Only just now saw the news. Unbelievable.

I can't believe Dice fucked up this badly. I mean they had always had shaky launches and wonky bugs, but they always supported the game until the end and made it worth playing. But this? This is just ridiculous. They are executing the game instead of actually trying to fix it.

I thought Dice was a better company than this. I thought they actually cared about their players at the very least.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
No more chapters, but the game will get some more unspecified content and more support. It's not really that out of line with previous games considering there's no premium to pay for maps.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Just out of curiosity for anyone here who has played BF4 at all recently, but how's the playerbase looking on PS4?

For the longest time I was debating getting BFV, but I've been very cautious given all the news I've heard. With this news I'm definitely not buying it I don't think, but how is BF4 holding up in terms of playerbase?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No more chapters, but the game will get some more unspecified content and more support. It's not really that out of line with previous games considering there's no premium to pay for maps.
No it's totally out of line. Dice has gone back on alot of promises by doing this. They are leaving the game for dead rather than spending the resources necessary to actually fix the problems with the game.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
It's a year and a half in, people don't seem to be buying cosmetics and I'm seeing the same clans pub stomp in every game I join. Most of the community seem to want fast TTK, no spotting and low visibility, but would like DICE to stop the game feeling empty and arrange for more opponents to run in front of their camping spot.

I certainly don't think it's ended well, but I'm only surprised at how surprised people are about it. The game has been a disaster and a BF4 style turnaround has never been on the cards.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The game has been a disaster and a BF4 style turnaround has never been on the cards.

They had every opportunity to turn it around, the biggest on being The Pacific, but they made the wrong decision at every turn..... it was almost as if they wanted it to fail.

i liked battlefield v. i hope the next game has crossplay

Given DICE's track record with anti-cheat....... no thank you....

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

My biggest worry for next gen BF is that DICE will take all the wrong lessons from this entire BFV situation.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dice had no real idea on what bf5 should be. Look at the attrition thing , which is mostly gone for infanty combat yet still reminds with vehicle. Like it was shocking when I went back and replayed bf1 and 4 I ran out of ammo way more then I ever did bf5.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I jumped back in with the Pacific Theater stuff and as much fun as I had with it, DICE didn't keep my attention afterwards. I heard they were going to revamp old maps to adjust their pacing and gameplay to be more like the Pacific Theater maps, but as far as I know (since I stopped playing again), they haven't done it. At this point I just want another modern BF in the same vein of BF4 (after it was fixed). I'll even take BF4 just updated with graphics, QoL, and mechanics improvements since BF1 and BFV

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
BFV is getting one more update in the summer, then support will be ending

Oh damn I see :/

DICE announced that BFV is dead and will not be updating the game anymore past the next update (June i believe) which means no "classic" scenarios such as D-Day etc

Game is apparently still filled with bugs and poor TTK so fans are quite rightly upset

I missed this post, damn that's not a good show by DICE at all, they should atleast fix all possible bugs.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn I see :/

I missed this post, damn that's not a good show by DICE at all, they should atleast fix all possible bugs.

I played the game got a bit with my Origin Access trial but the game never clicked for me mostly because I'm not a fan of WW1 / 2 shooters

But I am a fan of the series and every now and then I'd check the sub Reddit or look online to see if people were having fun but sadly apparently the game has tons of cheaters (mainly on PC I believe) and the TTK is ruined and it was okay then they changed it then they changed it again or something

It's sad really I played the hell out of BF3 and 4 and even Hardline! (Shame about Hardline I really liked it) even BF4 had a shit launch but DICE was committed and fixed it but it seems like now they've just given up

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So last night decided to literally dust off my copy of Battlefield 1 and pop it into my PlayStation to see if there was still enough players to play with.

Honest to God I had more fun playing that last night than i have had in the last year playing BFV. I picked up my Martini Henry and just went to town. The maps are so good. The atmosphere is so good. I had forgotten just how good BF1 was.

did we ever find out why they didn't just transplant the bipod system from Battlefield 1 to Battlefield 5? Because the bipod system in Battlefield 1 is a god damn dream by comparison.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So last night decided to literally dust off my copy of Battlefield 1 and pop it into my PlayStation to see if there was still enough players to play with.

Honest to God I had more fun playing that last night than i have had in the last year playing BFV. I picked up my Martini Henry and just went to town. The maps are so good. The atmosphere is so good. I had forgotten just how good BF1 was.

did we ever find out why they didn't just transplant the bipod system from Battlefield 1 to Battlefield 5? Because the bipod system in Battlefield 1 is a god damn dream by comparison.
They didnt have the tech for it.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017

The bipod system in bf1 was already perfect. It was easy and simple to use. I'll never understand why they didn't just copy and paste that to V.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The bipod system in bf1 was already perfect. It was easy and simple to use. I'll never understand why they didn't just copy and paste that to V.
Right? They had finally perfected what had always been a finicky system and implemented it beautifully only two ditch it for a new system that legitimately did not even work and continues not to work to this day despite several alleged fixes.

Whoever came up with that idea should have been fired.