• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
i dont recall ever having trouble finding servers on the DLC maps in battlefield 3/4. This is on PC tho. Cant speak for consoles. Count me in for preferring premium over this awful game/service

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Let's not kid ourselves, the content rollout of maps, modes and weapons has been meagre, delay-ridden and laughable since BFV launch.
Even factoring the "its free'''cries.

None of this matters right now, so long as the TTK is fuuuuucked lol

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
They'd put more effort into the game if it had a larger playerbase to sell MTX to. But it's a failed product.

That's how you end up with all recycled stuff that was promised in earlier chapters as "new" content for 3 months.

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
I play on PS4 and finding full servers for more than a handful of DLC maps is a challenge in BF4.
i dont recall ever having trouble finding servers on the DLC maps in battlefield 3/4. This is on PC tho. Cant speak for consoles. Count me in for preferring premium over this awful game/service
I'm on PS4, Xbox prior to that. Yeah, you're not gonna find 30 servers running DLC. You're gonna find maybe 3,4 during the week and then a couple more on the weekends sometimes. The cool thing is, some of the admins rotate maps, so I usually favorite those servers. Not once have I loaded BF4 and not been able to join a server running at least one DLC map. Not once and I filter only NA. Yeah, premium is bad, but throwing $20 at an elite fortnite skin is totally cool. Im old and cranky and. I don't get it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, the service model *could* work, but so far the offering is lackluster. The Pacific DLC was good (though to me it was enough lol I rather have variety than Pacific only servers), but that was the only quality content droped in the entire year. Panzerstorm was good, as was the Grand Operation, Mercury and Marita were ok and mediocre, the small maps I think I played them a couple of time and that's it. Combined Arms? No one cared. Firestorm? Good adition, but sent out to die, no updates, nothing. Not to mention all that was planned or promised that was left out or delayed. I want my Grand Operations in Greece and the Pacific, but I know they just droped it. I want factions by map, but that's too much work and not enough return so it won't happen. TTK could've happen, but it's going another route. I'd like to tweak private servers to play closer to the beta settings, but that won't happen because higher, understandable priorities (though those should already be fixed and in place after more than a year) need to happen. Premium would have fix it by having the money first? Maybe. But if you are gonna do a service model, you know, before hand, how it goes. You know you need to continually invest in the game to make it generate more money.

The problem is not Premium vs Live Service, the problem is planning and priorities. Everybody knows we wouldn't get as *much* content as with premium (though I would say it's not THAT far), but quality and QOL stuff makes a big difference. Even some more "superficial" stuff like factions and such. The game felt like the Phony War for way too long. Cosmetics probably don't give much money, so now the strategy is the ToW XP boost. So, P2W mechanic? Maybe not now, but will they become P2W? We don't know. The game is being modeled by the service model as it goes, instead of being planned well in anticipation. Well, what do I know, anyway.

Yesterday I managed to play a bit of BF4. It's fun but I'm ultimately put off by servers being US vs US. It's quite boring. I want my factions, damn it.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Live service models rely on faith and continued upkeep, community and content wise. Though we can't tell how the player numbers are faring, if reddit and elsewhere ring true, it ain't that good. "good" is of course subjective, as we would need to know what DICE and EA had a target of, whether or not its meeting the target, and if the MTX money coming in from BFV is as predicted.

Oct 27, 2017
Live service models rely on faith and continued upkeep, community and content wise. Though we can't tell how the player numbers are faring, if reddit and elsewhere ring true, it ain't that good. "good" is of course subjective, as we would need to know what DICE and EA had a target of, whether or not its meeting the target, and if the MTX money coming in from BFV is as predicted.

We have the Xbox Live charts, the only clue. BFV was among top 20 during the Pacific launch window, and within top 30 before the ttk patch. Today, it is 37th.

I think it dropped 10 positions ever since the ttk patch. People aren't just bluffing on reddit. With a single map and a couple of weapons for the next 3-4 months, it is going to drop even further. Just a few more drops and the game will be less played than 4th COD (WW2) or Halo 5.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

BFV is the first in the series to have a hidden playercount and EA likes to pretend it doesn't exist on earnings calls. You do the math.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope Chapter 6 has more weapons and at least 1 more map. Cuz its ridiculous that the only new weapon is the Type 11 while the rest were cut weapons intended for Chapter 4.

We know that the first half of Chapter 6 ToW will be for cosmetics, leaving the other half to be something more impactful (hopefully)..

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't play the game since maybe one month and probably won't until they fix autoaim+TTK changes.
Seeing a lot of friends i made through BFV playing COD now lol...
It's just incredible how EA/Dice has managed to ruin a potentially great game with some poor decisions.

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly terrible. One of the two or three things that I dislike the most about the game at this point.

By far my most hated, its insanely stupid for a mp shooter. Just zero fun getting kills that way and getting killed by it.
I actually really really liked this game before the snap aim but yeah

I went from playing every single day, buying cosmetics to not wanting to touch it at all.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing with the whole live service vs paid DLC relative to content availability, is that like I said I never had an issue finding Conquest variations of Premium DLC maps through Battlefield 3, 4, and 1. Yet Firestorm died almost immediately after launch in Australia and finding a full server is now literally impossible.

As others have said the obvious data here is that if Battlefield V was an enormous success of player retention we'd probably have more frequent, higher quality content purely by virtue of the support. EA keeping quiet on just how bad/good Battlefield V is performing is a telltale sign it's not.

Maybe that's the failsafe; having people pay Premium for a game that fails to hold an audience results in spending a lot of time on content that may not be actually worth it in the long run due to a floundering audience. It's easier to dial back content rollouts when it's all free.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd rather get less content overall for free that doesn't split up the playerbase versus more content for a price that does split up the playerbase.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Played a couple of rounds of Gun Master in BF4 during the weekend, forgot how much fun I had in that mode. BF3 one was even better in the Close Quarters DLC

That mode would make me play the small maps of BFV. It would be cool to have it, but it would be a timed event sooooo yeah

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
So on top of the snap aim assist they are now boosting the muzzle velocity of most bolt actions significantly.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
yes, before the official date the set and M2 and Model 37 are free to everyone without need to grind the chapter.

they can't even launch things as they planned less than 72h ago...

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Damn Update making my PS4 say it needs over 54 gb of Free Space and after deleting a few games, the update starts.

And it's only 5ish GB! Smh

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
yes, before the official date the set and M2 and Model 37 are free to everyone without need to grind the chapter.

they can't even launch things as they planned less than 72h ago...

For real? lmao

EDIT: Oh, now I saw why it happened. So it was a mistake, and then they decided to leave them for everyone instead of removing them. I can't believe it, but ok, I'm not gonna complain lol

What are they gonna use to replace the rewards?

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No hit markers again. DICE PLS!

giphy.gif

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Im enjoying Solomon Islands but JPN gets fked over on defense for BT yet again. You think JPN would have more than 2 Tanks on a Fortified Island

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Solomon Islands is a pretty fun map, specially on BT. I'm really liking it. Reminds me of the China Rising DLC of BF4. M2 Carabine is a good weapon too, specially on this TTK, though on further distances it sucks.

Im enjoying Solomon Islands but JPN gets fked over on defense for BT yet again. You think JPN would have more than 2 Tanks on a Fortified Island

Yeah, that strikes me as a weird choice. Specially last sector should have more vehicles

Now we have 4 Pacific Maps. WHEN are we gonna have new Grand Operations? elenarie please poke the people in charge of this stuff so we know something about them :(

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
The placement of the Beach Guns on first Sector are at the most unhelpful spot compared to Pacific Storm. Pretty much useless like the Type 10s on Wake Island.

4 Pacific Maps with Beach Landings. Always Japan on Defense. Smh.

If we get a 5th Map for Chapter 6, I hope it is an Urban Map.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what the percentage difference might be between players who tend to choose hip fire or ADS specs between PC and console.