• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
Just found out I have BFV on my PS4 library. Probably bought on some sale months ago lol

Do I have to buy some DLC to play Wake Island, or is it a free DLC?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Maybe the Iwo Jima map? If so, it was very different from Wake Island :)

I didn't even get 50m from the spawn point before exiting! It was a new map that wasn't around a few months ago and it was free. Looked like islands... I'm reinstalling now.
Last played was 11th of November.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
So they are doing a partial revert. How much time did they spend on this only to roll a lot of it back so quickly. Please DICE. You have the structure of a very good game it just needs more content and a few improvements such as Team Balance and anti-Cheat.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ahahaha...

Dice confirms they intentionally added aim assist to the console versions in 5.2 but in a totally innocent coincidence, forgot to mention it

And uncharacteristically, they also fucked up the change. You can't modify the setting in game (have to go to main menu) and the description still says it doesn't apply in multiplayer

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they are getting rid of auto spotting. They still need to get rid of the triangles on the minimap. There's no reason I should know what direction a spotted enemy is facing.

I'll withhold judgement on the TTK rollbacks until they are live. Doesn't seem like enough. Maybe they want to admit defeat in small chunks and there will be a couple more round of "improvements" that put things closer to the way they were.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
I'm ok with this changes but will need to test first. I still don't understand what they did to the Breda, this should be a 4 BTK up to 20m at least, with higher recoil if needed.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Will test the changes but not sold in the slightest yet. They should just do a full on revert. Also doesn't address how they basically killed off recoil control on a ton of guns which makes them feel bad to use, and in these notes they are even reducing it further ? And it's not changing the rifles like G43 which were hit by the TTK changes.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
TTK was a little on the low side on PC, and some of the weapons were a little redundant as well, but I don't think they had the right approach with 5.2.

Auto spot was just a bad idea, through and through.

Of course it was the right idea. Why wouldn't you scrap every bit of the only part of your game that receives near universal praise?

The gunplay was great and no one was asking to remove recoil, increase BTK, and add the ridiculous new aim assist without doing any testing or having any plan. Dice desperately needs new studio leadership who have a coherent and intelligent plan for the franchise beyond throwing resources away on abandoned nonsense like the SP/BR modes and wildly fluctuating between design philosophies. The game started with attrition and fast TTK and now it's keeping low damage lasers on people until they die.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
With Wake Island now fully released, my work on the game for the year is done. Going on a month-long vacation tomorrow, been a long time coming, as I've been feeling quite burned out. :)

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
With Wake Island now fully released, my work on the game for the year is done. Going on a month-long vacation tomorrow, been a long time coming, as I've been feeling quite burned out. :)

See you on the other side! Do something just because you want to, sleep a lot, and be lazy. That's my vacation advice, well stay-cation I guess.

Any death threats from Era? Or just the usual places?

It's just gamers in general. I tried to tell people in the Call of Duty thread that they shouldn't spam developers with toxic messages and I was told that it was okay when the developers don't talk to you.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

BAR is still a 6-7 shot kill at most usable ranges. For a 20 round gun. LS-26 still an 8 shot kill at 50m. FG-42 the same. Still weaker or as weak as some SMGs. Why would you ever touch either because the Lewis is a 6 shot kill at the same range with 3x the capacity or more.

Doesn't materially change the awful choices they made.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good news, according to a dev's comments on reddit they are likely going to turn the triangles on the minimap back to circles

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
We have succeeded in achieving our goals in some places. We are happy to see that globally, Kills Per Minute (KPM) are up across the board, telling us that we have not reduced the pacing of the game, and we are seeing more kills at shorter ranges. We've kept the game as lethal as it always has been.

If you think about this statement for a bit, it basically sums up how we got to this point as DICE manages-by-numbers, but doesn't really understand the core impact of what they're doing. Of course KPM is up, you made it childishly easy to spot people. Of course short range kills are up, people have zero faith in the mid to long range game outside of recons right now. Someone on reddit made the joke that you could give everyone katanas and the same goal would be met.

I know people like DRUNKKZ3 are smarter than this. It reeks to me of bad leadership or outside leadership giving them irrational, perverse goals to hit while the game is on fire in the midst of its most important content drop. Doing things like stuffing snap aim assist into the console versions even if a player has aim assist set to 0% slams that home. Now the CMs are out having to do damage control on a change meant to appeal to casual players that wasn't even documented.

Not a fun time for a lot of people when it should be the peak of BFV

Oct 25, 2017
One question:

I was a squad leader. I got enough points to order a tank. I did.

Then..........nothing? I ordered it, says the tank spawned or whatever. A little timer at the bottom started ticking. It dissapeared. 20k points down the drain.

The fuck was with that?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
One question:

I was a squad leader. I got enough points to order a tank. I did.

Then..........nothing? I ordered it, says the tank spawned or whatever. A little timer at the bottom started ticking. It dissapeared. 20k points down the drain.

The fuck was with that?

You have to redeploy to spawn into it like you would any other vehicle. It will be a gold icon with a timer on it. Or a squadmate can take it.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think about this statement for a bit, it basically sums up how we got to this point as DICE manages-by-numbers, but doesn't really understand the core impact of what they're doing. Of course KPM is up, you made it childishly easy to spot people. Of course short range kills are up, people have zero faith in the mid to long range game outside of recons right now. Someone on reddit made the joke that you could give everyone katanas and the same goal would be met.

I know people like DRUNKKZ3 are smarter than this. It reeks to me of bad leadership or outside leadership giving them irrational, perverse goals to hit while the game is on fire in the midst of its most important content drop. Doing things like stuffing snap aim assist into the console versions even if a player has aim assist set to 0% slams that home. Now the CMs are out having to do damage control on a change meant to appeal to casual players that wasn't even documented.

If the numbers are global then they are completely meaningless.

The patch came with frontlines which is a pretty hectic (lots of kills) and close up (short engagements) gametype, not to mention fun (longer play time because we know they will take away this mode again).

Nov 2, 2017
I wish we could get a behind the scenes 'WTF is going there?' news article similar to Destiny/ Anthem. Didn't they do a similar big change and rollback a year ago?

Probably not a big enough deal to warrant digging into, but damn I'm curious.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could get a behind the scenes 'WTF is going there?' news article similar to Destiny/ Anthem. Didn't they do a similar big change and rollback a year ago?

Probably not a big enough deal to warrant digging into, but damn I'm curious.

BFV is just a hot potato project nobody wants to deal with but they need it to bridge to the next title in the franchise. Situation is ripe for questionable decisions. If the game didn't trip itself up prior to/around launch and was more successful, we'd have things like a CTE and more content. A change this drastic wouldn't just get shoved through on a whim. There are times to use a live environment for testing. Implementing things like autospotting is not one of those times.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea behind 5.2 was solid. The meta was super restricted and shitty before. It's just that they screwed up the implementation.

I'll share this Reddit comment.
So I'm willing to get roasted for this but before I get into it, I just want to say I disagree with the balance paradigm DICE are trying to establish with 5.2 and I'm glad they're working back towards the 5.0 numbers.

The balance of BFV has never been perfect. We were "happy" with the state of the game through 5.0, but were we really? MMG meta was SUPER obnoxious. The jungle carbine was dominating and upsetting the balance of the recon class. Assault had a good mix of weapons, but most people probably only used a few. Etc.

I certainly don't agree with the state 5.2 has left BFV's balance. I also don't think it achieved whatever goals DICE sought to reach with it. I think it's pretty clearly crashed and burned in several areas.

BUT, I get what DICE are trying to do. They want people to be using and picking weapons more specifically. They want there to be weapons that fight specific needs. Basically they want each class to have more diversity than "full auto or semi auto."

There are much better ways of achieving that then running the TTK/BTK of weapons beyond the invisible 25m line DICE assume everyone is chasing for kills. The hotfix is a step in the right direction. I'm interested to see where 5.2 ultimately leads, but I doubt the people here and elsewhere are as patient as me. I've been playing this franchise for so long and am so used to DICE making massive errors that 5.2 is just par for the course for me.

Something I think that they should also do is add a penalty for using 3x scopes outside of bolt-action rifles, SARs, and SLRs (or outright remove them) and re-add the adjustable iron sight zoom level from BF1.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
MMG meta was SUPER obnoxious

This isn't really a thing on PC though. Recons just blap any MMG dumb enough to set up in a good position in the head. The jungle carbine does the same. Hardly anyone uses MMGs as a result, it's mostly lewis gun spam.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Played some more today including 1 match of Wake Island. Oof that BTK at long range is just brutal. People. just. won't. DIE.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

Another question for ps4. Everytime for the past 2 days, I constantly get "could not fetch report" after every match. Can't see any stats whatsoever.
This normal?

Yeah it's normal. Has happened since launch. Normally doesn't happen every single match but they broke something with 5.2

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
DICE needs to 1. Lower the power of the tanks and 2. Increase the amount of time new tanks spawn, as the tank camping is so out of hand and people just keep riding in new tanks constantly. All of this instead of buffing the tanks like they did with TTK.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The only issue I ever had with MMGs was entirely due to visibility of enemies, namely clipping into objects. And even then, once you knew where they were a counter attack after death (eg: revive) was easy. Otherwise they clumsily served their intended purpose; immobile position laying down heavy fire that can in the right circumstances rack up kills, pressure bottlenecks, and spot opponents, but also comes with the enormous tradeoff that you're completely fucking vulnerable, an easy headshot, and usually have to have a medic backing you and/or keep repositioning to prevent counter attacks.

Otherwise I never felt any MMG camping was overpowered or problematic. If you're repeatedly dying to MMG encampments I don't know what to say except play more cautiously, and appreciate that if you're running directly towards a decent player who has an entry or hall covered with a well positioned MMG it is serving the gameplay purpose it was designed for. You don't stand in front of tanks and complain when you get rocketed, so stay away from difficult MMG camping.

Correct. Citing "kills per minute are up!" is an awful metric to judge the game by. It is exactly the direction that has lead Battlefield into its current state; the emphasis is on KDR and murdermills and not on gameplay balance and coherency. The rate of kills per minute isn't in any way indicative of literally anything pertaining to good gunplay, class balance, and map design. Maps like Operation Metro and modes like Frontlines cater to high kills per minute. Battlefield is not and should never be about how quickly players are killing each other.

I get that this is probably their way of articulating that they felt the problem was most engagements were long range, and they wanted to close the gap a bit, but it's still not indicative of a positive change to the overall balance and design of the experience. It just tells me the game DICE are building with this franchise is going to continue down the path of chasing the kill farming Call of Duty dollar and not a coherent Conquest experience. Fast to action murdermills and grinding.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, why cant DICE just STOP

The snap aim on console is such a joke. Why did they take their best gunplay EVER and water it down to recoilless, auto-snap nonsense? It completely kills my interest and enjoyment of getting kills when I know all this shit exists to cater to terrible players.

Why even make an attrition BF if you're going to do all this.

I was excited to jump into Wake Island, but now that feeling has just washed over me. This is some of the most bizarre 180s Ive ever seen. I cant believe they are insisting on digging in their heels with this. There's no way this is coming from DICE right? It feels like such a corporate move to sell BFV for Christmas to cash in on MTX by making the game easy peasy

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I don't feel any worse about the gunplay, the only thing I don't like is the auto spotting. A few of the support guns need buffs and it'll be fine.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Urgh, I really hate this game, though it's my own fault for being a sucker. I should've guessed since all big games are uber conservative these days. All that matters is being really good at aiming quick and staying on target for a while. Nobody even bothers with any support activities and rightly so. At least BF1 had the good sense to offer you a spectacle with all the outlandish shit.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I thought I was seeing things on Wake Island but it's indeed by design that there are six tanks on one side running around on some game modes. Six! With panzerfausts being so useless, no wonder the attacker just steamrolls everything.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 bug? On wake island, the server is full but it keeps saying waiting for players to join.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
MMG campers were only really an issue for like a week when no one expected it. They became a non issue after that as you could easily counter them and dink them or use explosives from a far. I also don't really have an issue with people using those set ups, the entire point of BFV's systems was to be more lethal and more punishing to people just running around like chickens with their heads cut off like BF1's zerging had led to.

Destroying the whole gunplay system to counter MMG campers does sound like something that DICE would do though.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The only issue I ever had with MMGs was entirely due to visibility of enemies, namely clipping into objects. And even then, once you knew where they were a counter attack after death (eg: revive) was easy. Otherwise they clumsily served their intended purpose; immobile position laying down heavy fire that can in the right circumstances rack up kills, pressure bottlenecks, and spot opponents, but also comes with the enormous tradeoff that you're completely fucking vulnerable, an easy headshot, and usually have to have a medic backing you and/or keep repositioning to prevent counter attacks.

Otherwise I never felt any MMG camping was overpowered or problematic. If you're repeatedly dying to MMG encampments I don't know what to say except play more cautiously, and appreciate that if you're running directly towards a decent player who has an entry or hall covered with a well positioned MMG it is serving the gameplay purpose it was designed for. You don't stand in front of tanks and complain when you get rocketed, so stay away from difficult MMG camping.
One of my favorite BFV moments was taking a beach on pacific storm with four or five support players providing cover fire and everyone else throwing smoke. Island hopping is a real challenge for infantry on that map without those tools.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
Tried to play the new map but "impossible".. join in a server with Breaktrough and the perfomance on One S, my god :/ feels bad. Idk wich sector was but i sure it was the first and the amount of times i died by planes is a lot. Free kills for pilots 😅