• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I installed BFV to get ready for wake island. Haven't played BFV in more than half a year.

Hopped on the subreddit and that whole place is literally on fire about patch 5.2? Holy shit, the community is fucking PISSED.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I installed BFV to get ready for wake island. Haven't played BFV in more than half a year.

Hopped on the subreddit and that whole place is literally on fire about patch 5.2? Holy shit, the community is fucking PISSED.

BFV has been a dumpster fire until the last few months. The only thing people stayed around for previously was the gunplay. So they broke that, then added automatic spotting and enemy healthbars (division style) on top of an extremely poorly tested/glitchy/unbalanced TTK patch.

Hopefully they can cram in some tweaks for the Wake patch, otherwise the FG-42/BAR are still dead.

"Here's an iconic automatic rifle that fires .30-06, it does less damage than a 9mm SMG at range. Enjoy."

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
When people send actual post mail containing death threats. :)

Saw Braddock's tweet. Some people are seriously fucked up in their mind. That's just a video game FFS.

You shouldn't even add a smiley to your post, this is simply disgusting and it shouldn't be accepted "as part of the job" by any dev

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
When people send actual post mail containing death threats. :)
My sympathies elenarie. People really suck sometimes.

When the gameplay is poorly executed, everyone can feel like a superstar.
Right now, the people that are good are confidently engaging with the weapons that still have a low TTK. The people that aren't so good are hiding in the spawn. I think the top tier are uncomfortable because they have to engage each other more often and everyone else is literally terrified.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Last week I was complaining about being one shotted as a tank on the Pacific.

Now that I have fully reached Rank 6 on the Zero, Im doing the same thing to others. It has come full circle. Lmao

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I tried to do some rounds to get some ToW unlocks but I just can't do it.

It's no longer fun or enjoyable to play.

elenarie plz... I don't know how you guys managed to go from such a high off The Pacific to such a low but this has to be changed. You've killed the game IMO.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's pretty staggering how badly Dice fucked up this entire game with the latest patch. Right when I finally have some time to start playing again.

I mean, bravo, some truly impressive shit.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
I pretry much adapted to 5.2. However, i dont really play Assault anymore unless some serious Tank Busting is needed. Now I stick to Medic or Recon with some Support sprinkled in.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Last week I was complaining about being one shotted as a tank on the Pacific.

Now that I have fully reached Rank 6 on the Zero, Im doing the same thing to others. It has come full circle. Lmao

They added bombing reticles to the zero/corsair, so it's childishly easy. My best is a 4 bang 2 Sherman kill with 2 500lb bombs on breakthrough when they were both at the repair station.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
No amount of dislike of any entertainment anything warrants death threats. Gamers are such useless fucking shits sometimes.
Sometimes I wonder what size of rock had to fall on someone's head for them to fathom that the first reasonable action when faced with a design decision they dislike is to go for death threats.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
It sucks to hear that people are posting actual death threat letters. What the hell is wrong with people?

I'm just hoping match-making can get fixed, and I can get my 'End of Round' summary back as that got totally borked after this last patch.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Played some more tonight, still seems fine to me. Unlocks work now for me, but post game report is still borked. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss the BattleLog.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I feel like the TTK was done to lure new people to the game and then after the holidays finish they will return it to the prior TTK. Didn't they do that last year?

Twinsen64

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Attrition is out the window now, spotting makes you play the UI and not the game.
I'll still play it but it's not as good as it used to be prior.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The change to TTK won't even attract new people. I think that DICE really tried to balance things out and maybe EA pressured with the new players so they added the auto-spot, and were pushed to release the patch early enough to have a bit of time to re-patch it. Or something like that.

I'll just keep playing as Medic or Recon and forget about the other two classes (unless a Tank need to be taken out).

Hey, at least tank gameplay is much better now

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the TTK was done to lure new people to the game and then after the holidays finish they will return it to the prior TTK. Didn't they do that last year?

That makes no sense because
1. most people don't know what TTK is
2. people who quit the game previously probably aren't following game update announcements on social media
3. new players are enticed by the game's low price and new content, not gameplay tweaks
4. the TTK changes only benefit new/unskilled players in that you die less quickly (which means it will also take longer to get kills), which is only one of many frustrations people can face in BFV

It's so dumb that they felt the need to nerf the effectiveness of so many guns at range. "people don't like getting melted from far away". If that's such a problem, then how about remove fuckin airplanes and tanks from the game. I get killed by those 50x more than I get killed by someone with an SMG over 40 meters away.

It's supposed to be a battlefield, sometimes you get killed and there's nothing you could have done about it.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Planes in this game are still incredibly unfair.

When are they going to do the right thing and remove them? There is absolutely no defense against them. The AA is useless, if you are lucky enough to even be able to use it.

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh, it seems like the player count has tanked since the TTK patch on PC. There are way less servers playing conquest or the pacific map play list compared to before the TTK patch. At least for USA east servers.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
This game series truly needs an overhaul of mechanics, and specifically one that moves from abstract stats to physics based modeling. The game mechanics right now are just getting more and more divorced from their real life analogues, which just doesn't feel good even if it mathematically evens the odds.

What I'm talking about is IMO best described by looking at tanks: right now they're hit point based machines that have stats dictated by balancing: a tiger is much the same as a Japanese light tank. Don't do that, it sucks. Instead give the tanks mass, engine power and armour. Give the guns ballistics where the shot lands somwhere and then you calculate whether it goes through the armour or hits the suspension or whatever. Then do the same for infantry guns: even a single bullet is a dangerous thing that can give you an impairing wound, but guns have lots of physical properties. A rifle is terrible to shoot in close quarters and you won't be doing any quick draws with an LMG.

It's a huge revamp, but I think Dice is doomed to just repeat the terrible balancing and gameplay mechanics issues they experience game after game.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game series truly needs an overhaul of mechanics, and specifically one that moves from abstract stats to physics based modeling. The game mechanics right now are just getting more and more divorced from their real life analogues, which just doesn't feel good even if it mathematically evens the odds.

What I'm talking about is IMO best described by looking at tanks: right now they're hit point based machines that have stats dictated by balancing: a tiger is much the same as a Japanese light tank. Don't do that, it sucks. Instead give the tanks mass, engine power and armour. Give the guns ballistics where the shot lands somwhere and then you calculate whether it goes through the armour or hits the suspension or whatever. Then do the same for infantry guns: even a single bullet is a dangerous thing that can give you an impairing wound, but guns have lots of physical properties. A rifle is terrible to shoot in close quarters and you won't be doing any quick draws with an LMG.

It's a huge revamp, but I think Dice is doomed to just repeat the terrible balancing and gameplay mechanics issues they experience game after game.

TBH all of these ideas sound awful (except location specific damage on tanks which I believe already exists in some form) and would in no way address balance. Real wars are unbalanced, how would simulating reality help?

There are sim games out there with that kind of nonsense. They generally max out at a few thousand players because reality isn't what most people want. Battlefield is supposed to be a mainstream, casual, chaotic, fun war game. Dice was on the right track to achieve that until 5.2.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The decision to turn guns like the FG-42 and MG-42 into nerf dart machines instead of just making them harder to control but otherwise powerful gives away what they were going for. I know there's a lot of players out there that struggle with their aim but turning something like the BAR into a paintball gun isn't going to go over well with anyone. Getting blasted through smoke or cover because dorito shooting is back isn't going to help either.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019

You want Red Ochestra, Post Scriptum, or Hell Let Loose. Battlefield will never and should never be that.

----

I was pretty shocked when I tried the FG-42 post patch tbh. Not because of the damage, but because of the recoil. There's just none of it now, it feels like it's less than what SMGs used to be before the patch. It's just wierd, doesn't match the visual or audio feedback at all. Really dislike what they did to the recoil in general.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
TBH all of these ideas sound awful (except location specific damage on tanks which I believe already exists in some form) and would in no way address balance. Real wars are unbalanced, how would simulating reality help?

There are sim games out there with that kind of nonsense. They generally max out at a few thousand players because reality isn't what most people want. Battlefield is supposed to be a mainstream, casual, chaotic, fun war game. Dice was on the right track to achieve that until 5.2.

Physics based does not mean simulation game (except on the obvious semantic level). It's simply a more robust framework for mechanics than hitpoints. It wouldn't make the game any more difficult or less chaotic, just the mechanics more relatable and explicit (because of the universality of the framework).

Also the current BF is not casual friendly in the slightest. It's just considered such by association because it's a big brand with lots of marketing.

Edit: and as far as balancing, right now they're doing that because there's nothing else to measure things by. The effects of guns, explosions and such vary almost arbitrarily now. Even if you achieve something of a balance the weapons are still going to feel bad and people will complain. I'm quite certain the lower ttk was well received precisely because it made everything feel more powerful and not conflict quite so much with the audiovisual onslaught of the killing machines in the game.

Last edited:

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
You want Red Ochestra, Post Scriptum, or Hell Let Loose. Battlefield will never and should never be that.

----

I was pretty shocked when I tried the FG-42 post patch tbh. Not because of the damage, but because of the recoil. There's just none of it now, it feels like it's less than what SMGs used to be before the patch. It's just wierd, doesn't match the visual or audio feedback at all. Really dislike what they did to the recoil in general.
From a new player's perspective (but series vet) I think the lack of recoil is little surprising, used to guns having a real good kick in BF - made it hard to get used to at first because of the differences from prior games in the series.

Is it a bad thing overall? Not entirely sure yet, but it does hurt the character of the individual weapons a little bit I think.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Haven't played the game since patch, but with Wake Island coming out I'll probably try to get in some matches before I have to switch to all the Total Warhammer 2 goodies. Kinda mean that there is more than 1 interesting thing is coming out today at once.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
At least the Wake Island release means the return of the 24/7 Pacific BT playlist again. (Unless things change and they're not doing that anymore)

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for fuck sake DICE, why do you do this shit? We've been trough this, aim slowdown works for every single multiplayer shooter ever, and it worked in bfv for a year also.
Why do you guy's want to cater to the noobs so much? it just pushes me and your regular players away.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefiel...idence_of_aim_assist_zoom_snap_or_aim_assist/
PartWelsh said:
Been asking around with the team on this today to understand why this wasn't publicized in our update notes and it's simply been missed off, and wasn't submitted through to me for publication. Apologies for that (no desire to hide it).

Yes, this has been added in 5.2 and is now standard on consoles.

There is an option to adjust this, unfortunately we have just discovered today that this only shows in the Main Menu version of Options, and not in the Options that shows during an active round. We are going to develop a fix for that and ensure that this can be modified and adjusted during a round. That fix will likely ship early in the new year.

The setting that you can otherwise modify today is named 'Soldier Aim Assist Zoom Snap' and it can be adjusted on a 0-100% slider the same as 'Soldier Aim Assist' (the two are adjustable separately). A reminder that you will be able to find this today (on console), but only in the Front End Main Menu Options.

Apologies for this being missed in the update notes.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Not long ago I installed BFV again to check out Wake Island and.... it looked completely fucked. Something was super off, I didn't even stay long enough to check out the mechanical changes. I checked my settings and everything seemed normal. I don't know if I'm misremembering BFV but it used to run really well and look fantastic. Is it just wake island? I uninstalled to save space and have been playing the new COD since (which is fantastic).

No clue, will reinstall but this was a week ago or more.

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Breakthrough on Wake Island severely needs more defensive options for the japanese team.

Also, seriously, please do something about towable weapons. They are bulky, annoying and in the end useless to have. This map is a great example, on the second sector they spawn 2 tow cannons for the Japanese team to use, problem is that those are stashed between barracks overlooking nothing and they require to be towed into position, which is in itself a idiotically massive hassle to do, so they are just left there often. They need to have a sort of "slow manual push" option so they can be rotated or moved slightly from their position if they end up for example looking upward or too much down due to a slope.

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I can finally move on. The ttk, snap on aim assist in MULTIPLAYER. I can't deal with this again. Idk who is making these dumb desisions at dice but you are pushing your loyal fans away.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I can finally move on. The ttk, snap on aim assist in MULTIPLAYER. I can't deal with this again. Idk who is making these dumb desisions at dice but you are pushing your loyal fans away.
Using snap aiming or aim assist has no bearing on whether someone is a "loyal fan" or not. The snap aiming has big disadvantages too, namely that it slows down your reaction time.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
This game has gone to the point where its pathetically bad. My favourite franchise plummeted to it being non existant in my play time. No surprise really considering how bad Battlefield 1 was, didnt think that could be topped but here we are.

Whoever is calling the shots for this franchise for the last two entries needs to move on they are clearly not within their element at the moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Using snap aiming or aim assist has no bearing on whether someone is a "loyal fan" or not. The snap aiming has big disadvantages too, namely that it slows down your reaction time.
I'm talking personally, it gets abused by good players constantly. Look up some videos on YouTube.
How in the hell it slows down your reaction time?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
played a bunch with a buddy last night and we were both angry at how much the changes have wrecked the game.

Neither of us are very good, so the ttk changes helped us to survive longer but

1) everyone is playing sniper. it actually seems like there are 50% playing recon until you get down to the final sector
2) machine guns, both LMG and MMGs are now worthless. Recoil seems worse and you wont get enough hits in to kill someone before they make it to cover
3) assault rifles don't seem very good anymore, either. I had 4 shots to kill someone with the Gewher 43 last night and they weren't very far away.
4) automatic weapons only seem 'good' at extremely close range

The whole experience was annoying and frustrating. I hope DICE is listening (but i know they aren't).

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Not long ago I installed BFV again to check out Wake Island and.... it looked completely fucked. Something was super off, I didn't even stay long enough to check out the mechanical changes. I checked my settings and everything seemed normal. I don't know if I'm misremembering BFV but it used to run really well and look fantastic. Is it just wake island? I uninstalled to save space and have been playing the new COD since (which is fantastic).
This sounds like BS because Wake Island is not in the game yet. It comes out today.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions how to get those 20 headshots in objective areas within one round challenges? They patched out the bug where you could respawn on your squad mate and it wouldn't reset the 10 kills in one life counter. lol