• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
The auto spotting might be the laziest, dumbest fucking shit I've ever seen patched into a multiplayer game enough to disrupt the entire meta of player attentive feedback. 13 months of activity and now is the time to insert this bullshit.

The only other obnoxiously stupid metagame changing addition I can think of is when Battlefront patched in Bacta Bombs, which gave anyone with them equipped an immediate instant heal and temporary shield, utterly eroding the combat metagame as there as no fucking point to not use them.

Unsurprisingly, that was DICE too. Can we please get another publisher/dev combo in here with a team to build a legit competitor to Battlefield?

Yes, i hate the autospot with passion. Made me quit the game entirely

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I actually enjoy BFV both before and after the TTK changes. It's a little harder to drop people at range, but I'm glad the TTK is encouraging people to move around more.
I think the meta is now shifting to the OHK weapons and whatever else the nerf bat missed. Once people get good with those it's going to be a real bad time for the people that aren't.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I just went back to Battlefront 2 until this mess is over, I have been having an absolute blasting playing that game again

Really hope they revert it soon, I would love to play Wake Island :( The pacific maps are amazing

I play Battlefront II from time to time but sadly on PC in South America there arent many people playing it. I'm trapped in the 160ms ping servers

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I'm enjoying the gunfights a lot more, I've had a few proper Battlefield moments taking out full squads. There's a real lack of consistency and logic to the weapons now though and the changes aren't the most obvious. There do seem to be less people sitting still as long as possible, but i'm not sure they're doing much better.

The combination of everyone playing medic for the weekly reward, bugs, auto-spotting and weapon changes is all a bit much. The game has changed so wildly that I'm not that confident about drawing any conclusions.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I don't like it, but it makes sense that they don't allow you to grind ToW XP, since the idea is that if you can't grind it, you pay for it. At least they aren't patching it out later like AC:O did.

It still sucks though, but I don't care too much about ToW XP anyway

What a centrist post I just made, lmao

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm almost certain there is already an xp cap on how much ToW XP you can get in a normal game.
If that didn't change you can even do ToW weekly objectives in Combined Arms ( when not game mode specific ).

This is just all around a dumb decision, which sadly makes it unsurprising.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing after a pretty long hiatus from BF in general (haven't played since about 6 months into BF1's lifespan) and I think it feels fine... Haven't tried HC yet (is that still an option?) but normal mode doesn't seem too terrible.

I understand that the changes are probably pretty jarring for someone who has been playing since launch, but from a "new" player's perspective the game looks, feels, and plays like I would expect a BF game to.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
- Server shuts down when everyone leaves (not permanent)
- Only the person that started the community game has Admin access (eg, no admin if he/she logs off)
- Ban/Kick list is wiped when server shuts down, *hope you got that ban list saved*
- Tides of War progress disabled

No point to community games. Nothing even remotely close to a dedicated server.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I'm enjoying the gunfights a lot more, I've had a few proper Battlefield moments taking out full squads. There's a real lack of consistency and logic to the weapons now though and the changes aren't the most obvious. There do seem to be less people sitting still as long as possible, but i'm not sure they're doing much better.
Yes, I also think it's a good change there needs to be some tweaking though but everyone knew that. I hope they don't revert it (again).

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I can't get a single summary to load after the game since the patch. It says "can't fetch" after every match. It used to happen one out of every four times, but now it's all the time.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why anyone play a community server over official server if there is no tow progress on the community one. There is no point

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Played last night and everyone was using snipers and carabines lol

I guess that private games are free, but that there will be a paid version that gives ToW XP

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Welp
shg5kjynbq341.jpg

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After a bit more of playing, I can get used to the TTK changes ... it's really just shifting preferred weapons from one set to another, to be honest. Now instead of every medic using the Suomi or Thompson, they're all using the Jungle Carbine or Type 100.

The auto-spotting, however, remains one of the most idiotic things they've done to this game. The auto-spotting medic + jungle carbine combo is just so lethal now. The number of times I've shot people through tall grass, smoke, walls is pretty amazing. Also, because of how much weaker full-auto weapons are at range now, you basically have time to scan for the guy shooting at you, auto-spot him, go prone, heal, and then pop back up and headshot them with your jungle carbine.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After a bit more of playing, I can get used to the TTK changes ... it's really just shifting preferred weapons from one set to another, to be honest. Now instead of every medic using the Suomi or Thompson, they're all using the Jungle Carbine or Type 100.

The auto-spotting, however, remains one of the most idiotic things they've done to this game. The auto-spotting medic + jungle carbine combo is just so lethal now. The number of times I've shot people through tall grass, smoke, walls is pretty amazing. Also, because of how much weaker full-auto weapons are at range now, you basically have time to scan for the guy shooting at you, auto-spot him, go prone, heal, and then pop back up and headshot them with your jungle carbine.

I think fewer medic weapons are now viable. Apparently the ZK is worse than the Type 100 in every stat, making it literally useless. Letting something like that through really makes me think these changes were not well considered or well tested.

Before 5.2 I got all SMGs except one to level 10 and was always able to make it work (at least after getting to level 4 for full specialization options). I almost never used the suomi or thompson because I preferred other guns. Now, as soon as I stop using the Type 100 I feel like I win fewer encounters, and am compelled to switch back.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I'll check out Wake Island and finish Chapter rewards up but I doubt I'll stick around after that. Just not liking the update.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the gunplay can be "fixed" rather than reverted.

But the auto spotting is legitimately stupid as shit and needs to be reverted ASAP. For fucks sake spend resources on getting CTE set up because it is obviously dearly needed.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Four things to fix the new TTK.

1. Revert SARs back to pre-patch
2. Revert LMGs/MMGs to pre-patch
3. Increase the maximum damage range for SMGs (the range that you do the full damage)
4. Shave off 1-2 bullets to kill off of every gun with a maximum bullet to kill over 9.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the gunplay can be "fixed" rather than reverted.

But the auto spotting is legitimately stupid as shit and needs to be reverted ASAP. For fucks sake spend resources on getting CTE set up because it is obviously dearly needed.

Yeah, I can get used to the TTK changes but the auto-spotting is horrible. Playing as Defenders on Iwo Jima Breakthrough the other night I camped in a tank way back behind B in the 2nd Sector and sniped red diamonds across the map. I felt super scummy for doing it and wondered how many times in other matches I was dying to other players in similar circumstances.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
BFV on PC is even more lethal, if anything. Not sure about the consoles.

It feels that you have to play with either close range or long range weapons. Playing with medium range weapons (like ARs) is playing at a disadvantage, since you won't kill quickly anything beyond or closer a certain specific distance. So it's better to specialize as a close range or long range combat

It does feel pretty lethal and sometimes frustrating. You are shooting and shooting and shooting and maybe, maybe you'll kill something before you are dead. I was never frustrated by being killed from the back with no time to react, but now I do feel frustrated sometimes.

Not enough to make me quit though, I still have fun, but some weapons are just useless now

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It feels that you have to play with either close range or long range weapons. Playing with medium range weapons (like ARs) is playing at a disadvantage, since you won't kill quickly anything beyond or closer a certain specific distance. So it's better to specialize as a close range or long range combat

It does feel pretty lethal and sometimes frustrating. You are shooting and shooting and shooting and maybe, maybe you'll kill something before you are dead. I was never frustrated by being killed from the back with no time to react, but now I do feel frustrated sometimes.

Not enough to make me quit though, I still have fun, but some weapons are just useless now
That's an issue too, but the other problem is that you now get more time to line up headshots since automatics aren't killing as fast. That's on DICE for nerfing suppression into the ground in BFV and not compensating with hit flinch. So there's no secondary benefit to compensate for the damage nerf on mid range autos when they go up against the semi auto / bolt action rifles. They tied their hands on that.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
That's an issue too, but the other problem is that you now get more time to line up headshots since automatics aren't killing as fast. That's on DICE for nerfing suppression into the ground in BFV and not compensating with hit flinch. So there's no secondary benefit to compensate for the damage nerf on mid range autos when they go up against the semi auto / bolt action rifles. They tied their hands on that.

Yep. The Jungle Carabine is really good because of it. At medium range you have time to outheal incoming damage and line up a headshot (not to mention the 2 hit kill)

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Well. I guess it's time for me to let this game go for a while.

What a shame.
Basically where I'm at, bout to uninstall and only look back whenever bring back the game I had been enjoying for an entire year before now.

Same. Not even happy with the 'tweaks' that are just going to be a half step when they should just revert it entirely. We're going to end up with some worse version of both sides. I've kept this game installed all year because it's gunplay was so good I knew I could jump in anytime I wanted to shoot stuff and be entertained, but if it stays this way I'm out.

The 3d spotting is also awful. Just revert the whole damn patch.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
What's sad is that even without the ToW XP and the lack of features, I was looking forward to make a Rush/Outpost server this weekend lol

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Goodbye BATTLEFIELD V... It was not a very enjoyable ride and I will be extremely hesitant to buy the next one.

My friends and I have been playing since BF:1942 and this is the first BATTLEFIELD game that has made us completely lose faith in DICE... I really doubt we will be back for BF: 6 based on BFV, and I would guess that BF6 is probably going to be an extremely difficult sell to anyone at this point.

How the fuck do you make a game series for 17 years and still fail this miserably? A few of us talked about this at our studio and the only conclusions we could come up with were:
  1. The constant rotation of staff members in DICE is causing a tug of war in creative direction
  2. The changes are EA's demands and DICE doesn't have much of a choice.
  3. All BATTLEFIELD veterans are working on a different title after the less than stellar sales of BFV.
Either way, I am done with BFV. There is too much out there to play at the moment to stick around. I was really looking forward to Wake Island but I will be skipping it, the TTK and auto spotting is just too frustrating.

My only guess is they don't make BF:6 next... This is also something we talked about at our studio. Based on everything BFV went through launching BF6 would almost be a guaranteed disaster. A trailer won't do it any justice based on the amount of things that players saw in the BFV trailer that still aren't in the game (Coming soon) on top of the constant back and forth in game design that veterans have come to expect... The lack of hardcore mode, custom servers, auto-balance, anti-cheat, and several other features that BATTLEFIELD was known for.

At this point, their only guaranteed success would be BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 3, and I personally think that is what all the BF veterans are working on.

Last edited:

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I hope a lot of people are doing the survey honestly and reasonably. If it's just a bunch of hysterical redditors putting "1" for every score and "fuck you put back the old ttk" for every text response, they aren't going to take the community seriously.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
If I was DICE, anyone using a 3x or more scope would be getting a lot of flinch/sway if they were being engaged by an automatic in its effective range. It's not fair to address range issues in one class of weapon and completely ignore the imbalances of other classes.

They could also increase the amount of horizontal recoil for autos instead of decreasing the damage, but make the direction deterministic for the first part of the burst (which I think they're partially doing anyway). That way the people with mad weapon handling skills have less to complain about.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

I hope a lot of people are doing the survey honestly and reasonably. If it's just a bunch of hysterical redditors putting "1" for every score and "fuck you put back the old ttk" for every text response, they aren't going to take the community seriously.

The community calmly protested (then angrily protested) twice already and they still rammed through this untested garbage. They don't give a fuck. They are massaging KPIs, not listening to the community. DICE has very clearly decided the existing community is worth ignoring to chase after more revenue.

People have been begging for the ability to team switch or even just have a team balancer since release but DICE has completely ignored that

I have zero faith in this game getting back on track given how much 5.2 (especially the spotting changes) veered off course.

If I was DICE, anyone using a 3x or more scope would be getting a lot of flinch/sway if they were being engaged by an automatic in its effective range. It's not fair to address range issues in one class of weapon and completely ignore the imbalances of other classes.

Some people need the 3x due to their setup, eyesight, or both. Myself included.

In other news:
qbnxw58vqs341.png

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This is what I said

Make the private servers give ToW XP, fix unlocks/company coins not unlocking properly, revert most of if not all of the TTK changes, revert all of the spotting/auto-spotting changes, nix the vehicle grind completely and make vehicle specializations and weapon specializations not complete 100% upgrades, change the special assignment system, improve the Firestorm netcode, better team-balancing, make Breakthrough either play like the insanity of BF1 Operations or more tactical like BFBC2 Rush, allow players who missed previous ToW chapters and weeks to unlock missed rewards with company coin and then the obvious more maps etc.

Also said to listen to community feedback and implement a test server

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The community calmly protested (then angrily protested) twice already and they still rammed through this untested garbage. They don't give a fuck. They are massaging KPIs, not listening to the community. DICE has very clearly decided the existing community is worth ignoring to chase after more revenue.

People have been begging for the ability to team switch or even just have a team balancer since release but DICE has completely ignored that

I have zero faith in this game getting back on track given how much 5.2 (especially the spotting changes) veered off course.

Some people need the 3x due to their setup, eyesight, or both. Myself included.

In other news:
qbnxw58vqs341.png
That's fine. But 3x+ scopes shouldn't be so viable against SMGs in CQB if they actually care about the range meta. It's an even more egregious issue for 6x scopes, for people that can quick scope.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

This.

I think the message was clear enough last year, it was also clear enough during the past couple weeks.

The timing of the 5.2 release, the state it was released in, the content of their "Responding to your concerns - Update 5.2" post, all makes it very clear that what we say does not matter in the face of their KPIs when christmas is coming.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
They're doing exactly what Activision and IW did with Modern Warfare: Watering the gameplay right down to make it as casual as possible. The "core gamer" may as well not exist anymore.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Their attitude in the past few months has basically been "no comment until we have a release date". There's no way they don't understand that team balance is a significant problem. I have no idea why they haven't come up with a solution by now, though. How hard can it be to add a "switch teams" button and restrict it so that you can only switch if the other team has fewer players or is losing badly?

They also know the TTK changes were too much. Before 5.2 even went out they said they were testing new builds with some TTK stuff rolled back, and they said it felt "a bunch better". I believe the changes were made in good faith, but were executed poorly on every level.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
I read there is a workaround for unlocks - you have to go to combined arms, or something? Does anyone know if this works? Just bought the game a couple days ago and I gotta say that it the biggest frustration for me right now.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... Seems a strange time to release such a buggy patch. I guess I'll go back to BF4 until this whole thing blows over, glad I got a bangin' deal on V but still kind of disappointing to see this happening now. (Right before the holiday, too - whose idea was that??? lol)