• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Assault: VStG or StG for ARs, Garand for semi-auto
Medic: Suomi early on, Thompson once you've ranked it up enough
Support: Lewis Gun for LMGs, MG42 for MMGs
Recon: Type 99 until you unlock the Gewehr, which is strictly better than the Arisaka (they're identical, sans bodyshot damage being 66 versus the Arisaka's 60)

Prioritize minimizing horizontal recoil. Conquest is fine on some maps, especially Pacific Storm. Breakthrough is great on Pacific maps, but lacking on some of the launch maps. It's great on Mercury and Al Sundan, though.

Early on, just do assignments to build up CC to make sure you can afford vehicle upgrades. For tanks, prioritize tank busting stuff like the 76mm cannon on the Sherman. You'll have no problem taking on infantry with whatever gun you pick, but upgrades demand you focus on tank busting, or you'll die constantly.
Is the bug on The Last Tiger fixed? I want to unlock the Tiger 1 skin

Welcome!

Assault: STG44 or M1 Garand. M1A1 Carabine and the rest of assault rifles are good anyway though

Medic: Suomi is OP, the tommy gun is great for hipfire (might change with 5.2), Jungle Carabine is amazing

Support: Lewis Gun is still king

Recon: Gewehr M95/30 for Bolt Action, Trench Carabine for more aggresive plays

There are some maps that are better for Conquest and others that are better for Breakthrough. Some are good on both, like Panzerstorm, Al Sundan, Iwo Jima, Pacific Storm, but they still are better in some.

Personally, I'd put it this way (even though some maps aren't really that good anyway, with an *, or are good in both modes in contrast, with a +)

Conquest:

Rotterdam (+)
Devastation
Fjell (*)
Hamada (some hate it, I love it)
Pacific Storm
Marita (*)
Mercury (+) (the first sector on Breakthrough is not that good, but it works and the rest is good)
Aerodome (*)

Breakthrough

Arras
Twisted Steel (+) (I'm not a great fan of this map, but it works in both modes)
Panzerstorm (+)
Al Sundan (+)
Iwo Jima
Narvik
Operation Underground (+)

As for general tips:

- Keep an eye for enemy flares, you can shoot them down to avoid being spotted (white flares are friendly, red flares are enemy flares)
- If you play as a medic, smoke rifle is one of the best items in the game if you know how to use it. Most use it to cover for revives, and it works good like that, but since you often are stuck with closer range weapons, smoke provides a tactical advantage to cover open areas or flank. This works with the reinforcement too (fun fact, if an enemy is very low on health and you shoot him with the smoke grenade rifle, you can even kill them. The reinforcement does it too, but it's way harder)
- Combat Roles aren't a thing to lose your sleep about, but the explorer for recon and combat medic are really useful
- In Pacific Storm, tanks spawn on some flags and you can steal them
- Don't be afraid of using reinforcement that aren't Artillery or V1. Well used, the vehicles are useful, as is the smoke.
- When downed, you can use the contextual marker (the spot replacement) to warn squadmates of enemies around. Also, just use the marker, not many use it but it does help a lot as a form of communication.
- Fortification system is either good or irrelevant, but in some instances it does help. Support class can build stationary weapons
- You can duck in most turrets in vehicles
- Most maps have huge flanking oportunities. Keep an eye on it, the game is basically built around this idea, so much that some maps turns into merry-go-rounds of flags being taken, like Arras.

Good tips, thanks. Still early days so not sure where it ranks with others but I'm having a good time with it so far, but there does seem to be a lot more camping and long range kills this time as opposed to mobile infantry, but maybe that is just down to the maps I've encountered s far.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
So Battlefield veteran finally jumping onto V late.

• What guns are best for each class, any I should prioritize unlocking first
  • Any particular gun upgrades absolutely essential
  • I've heard Conquest is a bit of a mess, is Breakthrough the go to Battlefield experience this time
  • General V tips
Conquest is great on all maps but Breakthrough is really just a clusterfuck and not really a good mode at all. Breakthrough has a clear front line which some people enjoy because players just bunch up and shit happens where you have very little control. Having many players in small congested areas just exacerbate the issues with large scale multiplayer in general. It's spectacle.

Do you dislike bullets not registering, having multiple bullets delivered to you in the same packet, explosion spam and prone MG/snipers in worthless positions on top of it all? Then stay away from breakthrough. It's 60hz servers in the worst possible conditions.

Conquest can have such situations (where a large amount of players zerg up), but the mode punishes teams that bunch up because other flags become vulnerable. When you have a good game of conquest a few squads are competing around each point and it's a constant back and forth attacking and defending. New players tend to get confused because you need map knowledge and can't just run to the dots and pew pew, but it is a much more rewarding experience. Once you learn conquest you start planning your attacks, fall back when outgunned, and you keep an eye on the minimap to see which flags need priority and to see where enemies might come from.

So whoever you heard that from is wrong, IMO. BFV long term shines most in Conquest and Squad Conquest and there is no question about that.
- Combat Roles aren't a thing to lose your sleep about, but the explorer for recon and combat medic are really useful
Field Medic is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Combat Medic. You get faster sprint speed pretty much all the time, and at full health, rather then when at critical health with Combat Medic. Just call out to everyone you see and use their bodies as you would speed pads in Wipeout. It works no matter how far away you are, which direction you're going etc. etc. You can call out to a downed teammate in order to get out of a bad situation. It's stupid good and it does the Combat Medic trait only better while giving extra requisition as well.

So you should actually keep an eye on combat roles! Support is another toughie. The extra repair speed is great, but being able to spot from a 2nd seat in a tank is great as well for the machine gunner, so if you plan to support tanks it's worth considering which is best for you.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Conquest is great on all maps but Breakthrough is really just a clusterfuck and not really a good mode at all. Breakthrough has a clear front line which some people enjoy because players just bunch up and shit happens where you have very little control. Having many players in small congested areas just exacerbate the issues with large scale multiplayer in general. It's spectacle.

Do you dislike bullets not registering, having multiple bullets delivered to you in the same packet, explosion spam and prone MG/snipers in worthless positions on top of it all? Then stay away from breakthrough. It's 60hz servers in the worst possible conditions.

Conquest can have such situations (where a large amount of players zerg up), but the mode punishes teams that bunch up because other flags become vulnerable. When you have a good game of conquest a few squads are competing around each point and it's a constant back and forth attacking and defending. New players tend to get confused because you need map knowledge and can't just run to the dots and pew pew, but it is a much more rewarding experience. Once you learn conquest you start planning your attacks, fall back when outgunned, and you keep an eye on the minimap to see which flags need priority and to see where enemies might come from.

So whoever you heard that from is wrong, IMO. BFV long term shines most in Conquest and Squad Conquest and there is no question about that.

Field Medic is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Combat Medic. You get faster sprint speed pretty much all the time, and at full health, rather then when at critical health with Combat Medic. Just call out to everyone you see and use their bodies as you would speed pads in Wipeout. It works no matter how far away you are, which direction you're going etc. etc. You can call out to a downed teammate in order to get out of a bad situation. It's stupid good and it does the Combat Medic trait only better while giving extra requisition as well.

So you should actually keep an eye on combat roles! Support is another toughie. The extra repair speed is great, but being able to spot from a 2nd seat in a tank is great as well for the machine gunner, so if you plan to support tanks it's worth considering which is best for you.

I'm very familiar with the franchise and Conquest in general, it is just the impression I got from reading online is that it was a poor selection of Conquest maps this time compared to previous games (the pacific ones seem well loved though).

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Oops, I meant Field Medic. It is much much better and really useful.

The problem with Combat Roles is that one is always better than the other, maybe Support is the exception but I almost never play as a support

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm very familiar with the franchise and Conquest in general, it is just the impression I got from reading online is that it was a poor selection of Conquest maps this time compared to previous games (the pacific ones seem well loved though).
I don't see why everyone isn't just playing Breakthrough now.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017

See Ostron's post above yours. He does a good job explaining why I dislike most modes that aren't Conquest.

Oct 27, 2017

Because... sometimes... I don't know.

I would say Conquest is good, but with the way it currently plays, it is a bunch of running around in the disjointed team. And when you do encounter other players, it is quite limited of what you can do with SMG on range, or Sniper up close. And when it comes to vehicles/planes, you are powerless without assault packages or even full ammo as assault. So everybody is playing assault...

I like Rotterdamn on Conquest: no planes, fairly small map, good balance between action and positioning. I don't think most maps work well for Conquest.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
It's crazy that dice is balancing the PC and console versions the same. I picked up the PS4 version on the cheap and it's so different. Besides the fact that performance on a PS4 pro is pretty shitty (my God, the last cap point in Iwo Jima breakthrough), which itself affects gameplay, people play the game wayyy differently on console. Much more prone and camping, people dont move when they shoot, skill level overall seems much lower, etc.

Has dice commented on this ever?

I said this one year ago. I didnt have a good time on console

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Because... sometimes... I don't know.

I would say Conquest is good, but with the way it currently plays, it is a bunch of running around in the disjointed team. And when you do encounter other players, it is quite limited of what you can do with SMG on range, or Sniper up close. And when it comes to vehicles/planes, you are powerless without assault packages or even full ammo as assault. So everybody is playing assault...

I like Rotterdamn on Conquest: no planes, fairly small map, good balance between action and positioning. I don't think most maps work well for Conquest.
I couldn't agree more. But I think the larger ones might work better if squads had easier access to transports. I'm not sure why the capture points became starved for transports after BF2 but it doesn't help the pacing of CQ.

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't agree more. But I think the larger ones might work better if squads had easier access to transports. I'm not sure why the capture points became starved for transports after BF2 but it doesn't help the pacing of CQ.

The way Ostron talks about Conquest is very idealistic, it is a pie in the sky that anything like that would even happen in BFV. If you want to play a tactical sandbox shooter, why are you playing BFV?

4muu544h60131.jpg

The way this game is built, you can only play this gang-rush tactic. Any type of communication between squads, callins, transport, tanks or planes is 0.

And if you get your clan into one team to play tactics, then you just steamroll whatever sorry bunch is on another team. Even the basic tank + gunner + repairman combo demolishes enemy tanks and concentrations because it takes a huge coordinated fire to take out a constantly repaired tank.

At the end of the round, the people who do those tactical moves are never going to be on top. It is all about killing enemies, the game literally doesn't even give you points for standing and preventing enemies from capturing it. You get points for kills inside the objective area, but you get waaaaaaaaay more points for running around and capturing shit, while killing the people who do the same shit.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
The way Ostron talks about Conquest is very idealistic, it is a pie in the sky that anything like that would even happen in BFV. If you want to play a tactical sandbox shooter, why are you playing BFV?

The way this game is built, you can only play this gang-rush tactic. Any type of communication between squads, callins, transport, tanks or planes is 0.

And if you get your clan into one team to play tactics, then you just steamroll whatever sorry bunch is on another team. Even the basic tank + gunner + repairman combo demolishes enemy tanks and concentrations because it takes a huge coordinated fire to take out a constantly repaired tank.

At the end of the round, the people who do those tactical moves are never going to be on top. It is all about killing enemies, the game literally doesn't even give you points for standing and preventing enemies from capturing it. You get points for kills inside the objective area, but you get waaaaaaaaay more points for running around and capturing shit, while killing the people who do the same shit.
Sure it is all about the frags, it's a pub stomp, it's battlefield. Points mean nothing, they're literally pointless! I don't think I've ever even looked at my score during a game and thought "damn, I must get more score!". You win the game from frags, staying alive, revives and ticket bleed; if you work toward all of these goals you'll be on top of the scoreboard, but it contributes to the main goal which is eliminating the enemy tickets.

You need like one other good guy in your squad and you'll be able to resist the herd, taking on multiple enemies or squads require tactics which in this game equates to positioning, knowing where the enemies are, taking the right routes and class choice for the right tools, so yes you will end up on top if you utilize good tactics, but it's mainly mute squad tactics.

I've had multiple squad leaders call out both attack and defend orders (I never pick squad lead), all you need to do if you get a good squad leader is follow that guy. I'm sure I'd be very frustrated if I went for squad lead, which is why I don't, but if I follow a decent guy I know we'll both have a swell ol' time. I'd recommend that to everyone actually, following is really the best way to ensure a good time in BFV (and a bit of squad hopping). Running around wishing people would do the same thing you do isn't the ideal way to find teamplay. Actually, if I have more than one decent squad mate (rare!) I tend to lose track of the second one, so usually one good mate is all I need. Just watch that one guy and fall into his modus a bit, look where he's not looking, ping where you think enemies are, and suddenly you're moving as a squad.

For being such a huge game that BFV is (and the community such a game gathers), where no one uses voice comms and rarely types more than cheat accusations, the level of dynamic in- and inter-squad teamplay is impressive. I mostly play medic, which I'd say is the class that has the most tactical options (mainly SMOKES) and benefits most from smart play. If I see a push being made I can shoot out a smoke to cover it, if I see a tank in trouble I can give him up to 5 extra smokes for cover, if we are bunching up on an enemy tank I smoke him up to cover our assaults. If I have a decent squad I can hold back a bit and try to be the last man standing. There's always a lot of stuff to keep track of in a given situation, most conquest maps (apart from Metro) have a very good flow to them where you are always making decisions and when you have smokes you're always considering your flanks, choosing which ones to eliminate and which you should aim for. To a lesser degree I can say the same for Scout (keeping up flares and good beacons) and Support (mainly following a decent tanker around), there's a lot to take in and think about when you're trying to give support. Assault is really there to be supported more than anything, I don't enjoy playing the class but I loooove to have a good Assault player with me, both to take his gun before reviving and for the explosions. Again when you decide to follow other players and support them in various ways is when you will find the beauty of conquest.

I have a pretty decent record as medic, a K/D of 2.4 (it's all about the frags right), with pretty mediocre aim that lands in the low 20 and 30 percentages for SMGs and bolts respectively. I'm rarely frustrated with the game, I can take on most players and squads with confidence. I feel I'm kinda in the spot after 200h (80% of which is medic play) where I'm able to lift my head up and take in the dynamics of the conquest maps while still having a blast in individual encounters. That and often when I find a good squad mate and run a few games they'll add me to their Origin list, that's another thing I'd recommend, attach yourself to the mute avatars you enjoy playing with. I have 6 random BFV players I jump in with if I happen to see them online and without saying more than "^^" or ":>" I've had great teamplay moments.

What's good about BFV is that you can have all the above AND you have great gunplay AND you have fun movement AND cool vehicles AND a fun class/squad system with solid performance etc. etc. Choose a game like Post Scriptum (or Squad) or Hell Let Lose and you're more likely to have decent teamplay and communication (mainly because of a low player base of serious players) but fewer individual options for expression. Choose Day of Infamy or Sandstorm and you lose the class dynamics and open maps. Choose Rising Storm and you're in jank city praying for the dodgy hitreg bullet sponges of BFV. BFV is pretty unique actually, I wouldn't call it tactical, but it can be if you go for it. In most other games it's either one or the other, you're all tactical but the moment-to-moment gameplay is dumpstered, or it focuses more on the action on a smaller scale where teamplay suffers (Insurgency/DoI). BFV does a decent job at delivering both within a single game mode and I don't think anything compares.

Breakthrough again just puts a damper on all of that, it reduces your options. Smaller maps, fewer flags, larger groups of enemies, less room for expression and less room to take in the situation and let the gameplay breathe. It's really conquest only lesser, you don't decide if you're attacking or defending, you're forced into it. You don't get the mix of small-medium-large encounters of conquest, it's all large all the time. You don't need to think about where your enemies might be, they're always in front or slightly to the side. Any semblance of teamplay you can muster in regular conquest is ten times more difficult to achieve in Breakthrough. It's so obviously just a watered down experience for the crowd that wants lots of explosions all the time, or the crowd that went into BF wanting more of that already watered down console experience they've had before.

Phew, well that was more than I intended to type. Thought I'd pop in here after a fun couple games playing tank gunner/support with a really good tanker. Soooo... don't get stuck playing Breakthrough is I guess the gist of it.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
i wish i bought this game instead of MW, fuck :(
I bought MW recently and was really disappointed. Realism Moshpit is really fun, but I don't see myself sticking with it for long, not when the game is dominated by a single rifle for almost all engagements. Ground War is complete sensory overload, and reminds me of everything I didn't like about BF1.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
was in a match where it was 10 v 10 the entire time I was playing. Server never filled up. smh. Just left to find another game (which I did seconds later)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So the Pacific aircraft can have 6 upgrade slots huh

And some of the upgrade slots straight up double your damage with no drawback

And you need to grind to unlock the upgrade slots

And purchase each of the upgrade slots individually with company coin

And the mirror vehicles for the other side don't count towards each other's progress

And there's no air supremacy mode to help the grind

.....why why why

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think that some maps are excellent on Breakthrough because they do provide the required open strategies to happen, they tend to be really good conquest maps for it too.

Best examples are Panzerstorm and Al Sundan, they allow flanking, sneaking, the vehicle combat plays a significant role also.

I don't have connection issues on PC on Breakthrough thoug, maybe that is a factor in why I enjoy it so much?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
What weapons are the best on the game on each class?

IMO

Assault: STG44 or M1 Garand. M1A1 Carabine and the rest of assault rifles are good anyway though

Medic: Suomi is OP, the tommy gun is great for hipfire (might change with 5.2), Jungle Carabine is amazing

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
IMO

thanks will try them

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'll say something radical and say that the MP40 is a really good SMG too.

That's my favorite SMG actually. Can't stand how the Suomi fires and the while the Thompson is good, the MP40 is my murder machine.

I don't know, maybe it's the slower fire rate but i miss way less often and thus tend to kill faster.

But since about everything seem subject to change in the coming weeks...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I just had a driver of one of those small 4 seaters drive me into the hallway of C Aerodome and it was hilarious, I was in the front turret and just kept racking up kills without even aiming

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck. I think they killed the LS26. It was a medium to long range monster. Now it's supposed to be a close quarter weapon ? Nope. Nope nope nope.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
I suppose it's rare enough to be difficult to communicate and people think it's a bug when it happens... medics will see it happen more often of course.

AP-mine change is... also weird. Tripwires feel like such a... Tripwire thing.

Oh and character lighting is a toggle now with the spotting change... so that's something good coming out of it at least! And the "you are spotted"-indicator can't come soon enough.

Also, I think the M1 Carbine will be a monster again.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I have a tank challenge to unhitch 10 towables in objective areas

1) how do I do that

2) what's the fastest way to do that

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Patch notes 5.2

Patch notes are up, I look forward to trying the weapon changes.

Although...

... I thought this was intended and quite good. Not that it happens terribly often.

My problem with it is that most of the time that happens is because the medic wasn't paying attention to close enemies. Why should I be penalized by a mistake it's not mine?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
That fliegerfaust bunerff is beautiful. Just as pilots get used to flying just a bit higher than usual to avoid those salvos, the effective range is doubled, while the salvos fired is cut down by a third.

Instead of being an instant kill, the FF has become a deterrent. Now we just need some decent plane nerfs, and air-ground combat will be far more palatable.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I think they killed the LS26. It was a medium to long range monster. Now it's supposed to be a close quarter weapon ? Nope. Nope nope nope.

Only a 4 shot kill inside 15m with a 20 round mag for both it and the FG-42. Lmao. Fucking DICE comes up with the funniest shit.

Oct 27, 2017
That fliegerfaust bunerff is beautiful. Just as pilots get used to flying just a bit higher than usual to avoid those salvos, the effective range is doubled, while the salvos fired is cut down by a third.

Instead of being an instant kill, the FF has become a deterrent. Now we just need some decent plane nerfs, and air-ground combat will be far more palatable.

It was never an instant kill, it was 90 damage. Part of our "teamwork" was coordinating double salvos into a fly-by plane, because there was super hard to hit the plane twice while it was in range.

I like this change. The range was too small, and the damage was too big, it was a one-trick pony. Now there is a mastery of fliegerfault in the game: a master hunter can hit twice while the plane is flying by, but you have very little room for error hitting both salvos.

Can a plane quick-repair enough damage in-between two full damage salvos?

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man the subreddit are being giant babies about these changes. Most of them seem like a good thing. Plus it's not like its permanent if it/part of it ends up not working.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Man the subreddit are being giant babies about these changes. Most of them seem like a good thing. Plus it's not like its permanent if it/part of it ends up not working.

I'm not against the idea of doing a big balance pass. But making the LS a close quarter gun, it's just plain stupid.

Yes, it has a hip fire spec tree, but that's not what the gun was good at. And they better have changed the assignments because i don't see how you'll do a 60m kill assignment with a 20 bullet magazine and a 13 BTK.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why don't they have a CTE again? Resources?

Cause BF1 had one

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The patchnotes did not give me any confidence they know what the hell they are doing.

Letting alone the TTK nonsense, there are dozens of fixes/tweaks to the game that affect almost no one, and yet there's still no word on team balancing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I have yet to play a Breakthrough game that isn't a complete route

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Pretty much my experience as well. I think the mode is terrible.
I had a pretty epic Breakthrough match yesterday where we almost lost the first round of Iwo Jima as attackers due to planes completely wrecking us on the beach, only to barely eke out captures until the second to last one. I think we would have won that one too if someone drove a vehicle into the meat grinder caves at A. And then that's basically the game because I've never seen a team successfully defend the last point.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It was never an instant kill, it was 90 damage. Part of our "teamwork" was coordinating double salvos into a fly-by plane, because there was super hard to hit the plane twice while it was in range.

I like this change. The range was too small, and the damage was too big, it was a one-trick pony. Now there is a mastery of fliegerfault in the game: a master hunter can hit twice while the plane is flying by, but you have very little room for error hitting both salvos.

Can a plane quick-repair enough damage in-between two full damage salvos?
If the salvos were brought down from 3 to 2, then I guess it's dealing around 60 damage, which means you'll still need two salvos to hit then. I don't believe planes can quick-repair all that quickly, so unless they've got a spare emergency repair, they're extremely unsafe to be flying within 600m of halfway-decent FF users now.

This is good. This is very good.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also yeah the AA rocket gadget is rediculous as it is now, can one shot planes if they're close enough but it does seem to be useless at any range other than its 1 shot distance.