• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly prefer shooters with a little higher TTK although I think BF5 is fine as is. Modern Warfare needs a serious TTK overhaul.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
so... i just watched the stream and am I wrong in saying that they are already back pedaling about the TTK, making changes from what they wrote, and that it's even not sure that those changes will come in 5.2 ? It's around 16min in the stream. English isn't my primary language, so if any one could confirm that would be great ;)

Jul 15, 2018
I fear this tweaking will end up being yet another one of DICE's BFV blunders. I get that new player retention is important for selling $kins but come on...

If there's one thing that has received almost universal praise from the very beginning it's the gunplay. DICE already nerfed their whole CSGO style "spray pattern" mechanic to the ground but I guess that wasn't simple enough for the upcoming Xmas noobs. If anything this game needs proper Community Servers with working auto-balancing and plugin support. Not these 90% braindead 32v20 revolving door servers with 200 ping Xiexies melting heads from across the map with Lewis Guns.

But it doesn't end there... The vehicles and counter-play also risks getting simplified.

It might be too early to judge but seeing how we're basically getting a repeat of last year's TTK fiasco really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Is this how every future Battlefield title will get treated before the holiday seasons, or maybe it will just get dumbed down to BF1 tier from the get-go so all this baby proofing wont be necessary? Bleh...

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Ten shots from a panzerfaust to take down a medium tank now..

What the hell is happening to this game?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
But it doesn't end there... The vehicles and counter-play also risks getting simplified.

It might be too early to judge but seeing how we're basically getting a repeat of last year's TTK fiasco really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Is this how every future Battlefield title will get treated before the holiday seasons, or maybe it will just get dumbed down to BF1 tier from the get-go so all this baby proofing wont be necessary? Bleh...
Few good changes but...
AT mines nerfed to oblivion.
Tank vs tank fight skill gap will decrease in terms of mastering the tank mechanics.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
However, the majority of the tankers' complaints lie on the fact that infantry players can easily destroy their tanks unless they stay all the way back from action, leading to a campy play style.

tenor.gif

Tanks were ruined because they became solo-machines, unfair for gunners and only fun for the driver. In turn, this removed MGs from defending the tank against the infantry like in BF1, which made it easy for assaults to sneak and kill it. Pintle MG is an easy kill, front MG is ineffective/never used.

You are supposed to be rewarded for sticking 3 dynamites into the tank's anus. WHO WOULD SUICIDE FOR 50% DAMAGE?

Also, there is still the glitch since release which sometimes gives a black screen for a second or two when switching first to third person in vehicles.

Last edited:

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see the change to the top tank machine gun helping because its issue is that the gunner cant stay alive. Top gunner needs a front shield like the stationary turrets get. He would still be vunerable from the sides and rear. Damage buff to turret wont change anything, they will still be empty because they are death traps.

Could make the turret shield an extra specialization upgrade or something.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
so... i just watched the stream and am I wrong in saying that they are already back pedaling about the TTK, making changes from what they wrote, and that it's even not sure that those changes will come in 5.2 ? It's around 16min in the stream. English isn't my primary language, so if any one could confirm that would be great ;)

A portion of DICE realizes how terrible an idea this all is. Does not seem like a unified push at all.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong with those tank changes, except maybe making the AT mines too weak. You'll just need to make more deliberate rocket shots on tanks instead of firing willy-nilly.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Ten shots from a panzerfaust to take down a medium tank now..

What the hell is happening to this game?

Not a fan of anything they're saying. Tweak the TTK so it's 31 infantry throwing marshmallows at 31 other infantry while a tank on each side goes 100-0.

They should remove 3rd person view from vehicles. Infantry are supposed to have awareness of their surroundings, vehicles should be required to have the same.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Wait 10 panzerfausts now ? What the fuck ? They are removing the tank self repairing at least right ? Right ?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I still can't fathom how they went from battlefield 1, which was such a good game, to this. I played the pacific update for 2 hours, and I haven't touched it since. This update does no favor to the game.
BF1 had amazing atmosphere and Playskool weapon mechanics that reminded me of Battlefront. BFV has amazing weapon mechanics and zero atmosphere. It is the monkey paw's sequel to BF1.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't fathom how they went from battlefield 1, which was such a good game, to this. I played the pacific update for 2 hours, and I haven't touched it since. This update does no favor to the game.
Battlefield 1 was all spectacle, shit substance. Conquest mode was completely ruined, Elite Kits spat in the face of balance, Behemoths distracted from objectives and had little value for a team, bomber planes were even worse than in BFV, every class having automatic weapons, the list goes on.

BF1 was bunk and felt like an ultra-simplified Battlefield game. BFV improved on it in nearly every way except the artwork. There's something about BFV's art direction that just doesn't click with me at all.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Let us never forget how much bullshit the elite kits and behemoths were in bf1.

Worst game they've ever made in terms of gameplay
Probably the best game they've ever made from a production value/ambiance/sound/visuals/art/etc... standpoint. Absolutely killer.

BFV is so lifeless. The Pacific maps have a little more personality and stuff going on, like the ships firing in the background, burning fires and whatnot. Probably part of why they are so well received.

I don't think DICE has very robust playtests, which is why I'm pretty concerned for balance changes. The Fleiger shouldn't ever have made it into the game in its current state and I hate planes. I don't know how they plan to give this game years more support without a CTE. Worst thing about the gadget is that it renders dogfighting almost completely pointless because you just dive low and fly over your own team, they nuke the enemy plane for you, or you are the one nuked if you are chasing.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I am one of the few it seems but I loved and still love the gunplay in BF1. I always preferred slower TTKs. And as Avitus said, the atmosphere in BF1 is stunning. BFV feels so lifeless compared to BF1.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I thought BF1 was better as well, the avoiding flags game play here can be pretty dull. Can't deny that the elites and behemoths were a bad idea though.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, for $14.39 after Origin sale plus the discount from my free month of Premier, I guess I'm back on this game for the long haul. I mean I don't feel super compelled to actually play it right now. Maybe I'll do one more level of Tides of War to unlock the Jungle Carbine to save some CC assuming that's still going... But mostly I'm hedging on Wake Island and future DLC being as good or better than Iwo Jima and Pacific Storm.

Not sold on the TTK changes or the tank stuff (I recently watched some youtube videos to understand the tank damage model properly... aaaaaaaannd it's gone). I'm not even sure what I'd do with the tanks but some changes are in order. I'd probably just make the resupply points indestructible and a few more to every map. And uhhh, they need to fix the spawning system. Getting vehicles has been such a pain in this franchise going back I don't even know how long. Just implement a queuing system where you can play the game normally as infantry until your spawn comes up, and then you have like 20 seconds to click Redeploy and claim your damn vehicle. And have the initial queue be random at the start of the round, so anyone who clicks on a vehicle before the round actually starts has the same chance of claiming that initial spawn.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
This might be enough to bring me back in. Got frustrated after several months and have dipped back in a few times and it was "ok" but not enough to keep me coming back like previous games. I am one of those frustrated by the deleted feelings at times and am looking forward to seeing how these adjustments affect gameplay

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, just played a game that was 21 vs 33 on PC.

21 vs 33

How does that even happen? I thought 32 players was max for a team?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
So Battlefield veteran finally jumping onto V late.

• What guns are best for each class, any I should prioritize unlocking first
  • Any particular gun upgrades absolutely essential
  • I've heard Conquest is a bit of a mess, is Breakthrough the go to Battlefield experience this time
  • General V tips

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Breakthrough needs to be the new flagship mode.
But. They need to design it like they did for Iwo Jima. I love the flow of progression on that.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

• I've heard Conquest is a bit of a mess, is Breakthrough the go to Battlefield experience this time
  • General V tips

STG or Garand for Assault, Lewis for Engineer, Trench Carbine for Medic.

And Conquest is perfectly fine? Much better than the dumpster fire it was in BF1, i personally don't like Breakthrough.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017

• General V tips
I'd just add that the carbine for medic isn't for everyone. It has a very slow rate of fire. Some prefer the type 100, suomi, and Thompson machine gun although not sure how those will perform post patch

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that dice is balancing the PC and console versions the same. I picked up the PS4 version on the cheap and it's so different. Besides the fact that performance on a PS4 pro is pretty shitty (my God, the last cap point in Iwo Jima breakthrough), which itself affects gameplay, people play the game wayyy differently on console. Much more prone and camping, people dont move when they shoot, skill level overall seems much lower, etc.

Has dice commented on this ever?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017

• General V tips
Assault: VStG or StG for ARs, Garand for semi-auto
Medic: Suomi early on, Thompson once you've ranked it up enough
Support: Lewis Gun for LMGs, MG42 for MMGs
Recon: Type 99 until you unlock the Gewehr, which is strictly better than the Arisaka (they're identical, sans bodyshot damage being 66 versus the Arisaka's 60)

Prioritize minimizing horizontal recoil. Conquest is fine on some maps, especially Pacific Storm. Breakthrough is great on Pacific maps, but lacking on some of the launch maps. It's great on Mercury and Al Sundan, though.

Early on, just do assignments to build up CC to make sure you can afford vehicle upgrades. For tanks, prioritize tank busting stuff like the 76mm cannon on the Sherman. You'll have no problem taking on infantry with whatever gun you pick, but upgrades demand you focus on tank busting, or you'll die constantly.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
BFV wishes it was half as good as BF1.

At least the weekly challenges have been easy for once.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that dice is balancing the PC and console versions the same. I picked up the PS4 version on the cheap and it's so different. Besides the fact that performance on a PS4 pro is pretty shitty (my God, the last cap point in Iwo Jima breakthrough), which itself affects gameplay, people play the game wayyy differently on console. Much more prone and camping, people dont move when they shoot, skill level overall seems much lower, etc.

Has dice commented on this ever?

I'd imagine it has to do with aiming differences. You prone on PC you are an easy kill due to mouse aiming. I actually prefer players going prone so I can take them out easier. You want to survive on PC, you have to keep moving.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
There's a couple things I want from the series. If there's a naval component I want to be able to man and drive the big boats. I also want the vehicles spawns to be defined and on the map. I don't think camping was that huge of an issue but it's better to find a way to protect them rather than just remove that component. It just adds to the whole Battlefield x-factor that it has compared to other games. Don't worry about pilot or driver specific loadouts imo.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Is the bug on The Last Tiger fixed? I want to unlock the Tiger 1 skin

• General V tips

Welcome!

Assault: STG44 or M1 Garand. M1A1 Carabine and the rest of assault rifles are good anyway though

Medic: Suomi is OP, the tommy gun is great for hipfire (might change with 5.2), Jungle Carabine is amazing

Support: Lewis Gun is still king

Recon: Gewehr M95/30 for Bolt Action, Trench Carabine for more aggresive plays

There are some maps that are better for Conquest and others that are better for Breakthrough. Some are good on both, like Panzerstorm, Al Sundan, Iwo Jima, Pacific Storm, but they still are better in some.

Personally, I'd put it this way (even though some maps aren't really that good anyway, with an *, or are good in both modes in contrast, with a +)

Conquest:

Rotterdam (+)
Devastation
Fjell (*)
Hamada (some hate it, I love it)
Pacific Storm
Marita (*)
Mercury (+) (the first sector on Breakthrough is not that good, but it works and the rest is good)
Aerodome (*)

Breakthrough

Arras
Twisted Steel (+) (I'm not a great fan of this map, but it works in both modes)
Panzerstorm (+)
Al Sundan (+)
Iwo Jima
Narvik
Operation Underground (+)

As for general tips:

- Keep an eye for enemy flares, you can shoot them down to avoid being spotted (white flares are friendly, red flares are enemy flares)
- If you play as a medic, smoke rifle is one of the best items in the game if you know how to use it. Most use it to cover for revives, and it works good like that, but since you often are stuck with closer range weapons, smoke provides a tactical advantage to cover open areas or flank. This works with the reinforcement too (fun fact, if an enemy is very low on health and you shoot him with the smoke grenade rifle, you can even kill them. The reinforcement does it too, but it's way harder)
- Combat Roles aren't a thing to lose your sleep about, but the explorer for recon and combat medic are really useful
- In Pacific Storm, tanks spawn on some flags and you can steal them
- Don't be afraid of using reinforcement that aren't Artillery or V1. Well used, the vehicles are useful, as is the smoke.
- When downed, you can use the contextual marker (the spot replacement) to warn squadmates of enemies around. Also, just use the marker, not many use it but it does help a lot as a form of communication.
- Fortification system is either good or irrelevant, but in some instances it does help. Support class can build stationary weapons
- You can duck in most turrets in vehicles
- Most maps have huge flanking oportunities. Keep an eye on it, the game is basically built around this idea, so much that some maps turns into merry-go-rounds of flags being taken, like Arras.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Fortification system is either good or irrelevant, but in some instances it does help. Support class can build stationary weapons

Fortification system is super helpful if you are smart about it and learn the locations of the stationary weapons.

Good rule of thumb is to be aware of what side the enemy team will be attacking from and always build up walls and barbwire on THEIR side of the flag only.

Good to also go to the enemy teams side of the map and build every tank trap you can because it slows down armor from their base trying to get to your side of the map. Especially effective on Panzer Storm conquest.

You don't want to just build everything because when it comes time for you to retake that flag, you don't want to be facing obstacles that you yourself have put up.

The other thing is that many maps have AT gun positions that can be built but I rarely see them. Most people don't seem to know they are there so if you do build one, you can surprise the enemy team and ruin a tanks day from an AT gun they never expected.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
BF V is night and day diff between PC and consoles. Not only because of the graphics and stable 60fps.

But most because players know how to play on PC and do their jobs. It is amazing to see medics reviving people.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Fortification system is super helpful if you are smart about it and learn the locations of the stationary weapons.

Good rule of thumb is to be aware of what side the enemy team will be attacking from and always build up walls and barbwire on THEIR side of the flag only.

Good to also go to the enemy teams side of the map and build every tank trap you can because it slows down armor from their base trying to get to your side of the map. Especially effective on Panzer Storm conquest.

You don't want to just build everything because when it comes time for you to retake that flag, you don't want to be facing obstacles that you yourself have put up.

The other thing is that many maps have AT gun positions that can be built but I rarely see them. Most people don't seem to know they are there so if you do build one, you can surprise the enemy team and ruin a tanks day from an AT gun they never expected.

Yeah, it's ofter overlooked, but sometimes it helps a lot, specially in closing flanking routes, defending flags in breakthrough specially.

I'd like to see it being more dynamic

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
BF V is night and day diff between PC and consoles. Not only because of the graphics and stable 60fps.

But most because players know how to play on PC and do their jobs. It is amazing to see medics reviving people.
Last game I played I couldn't even switch classes for the first ten minutes because our squad medic was so on top of it.

Using the AT gun as a shotgun feels so wrong, yet also so right.