• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Can't wait for private games.

Wake Island Conquest
Pacific Storm Conquest
Iwo Jima Breakthrough
Al Sudan Conquest
Al Sudan Breakthrough
Panzerstorm Conquest
Arras Conquest
Hamada Conquest
Mercury Conquest
Operation Underground Breakthrough

That would be my playlist. If possible I'd repeat Wake Island every two maps.

I would switch Arras for Rotterdam and add Panzerstorm Breakthrough, but that looks like a solid list

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Got server disconnections. Two times in a row.

Edit: It's been my Internet.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The game is in the vault so you could drop down to regular origin access
True, but there's nothing else in the vault I care about. I missed that free month of Access thing for doing 2-factor by a couple of hours, that would have let me play a little more of this DLC and the Respawn Star Wars game... maybe if that game gets amazing reviews I'll grab a month of Premier again to play through it and get a chance to check out Wake Island assuming it comes reasonably early in Dec. But no more long-term subscriptions just kinda hoping that they release something of value over the course of the year.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
2521uraqc2x31.jpg

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
The fliegerfaust is the most fun I've had in this game in a while. Did more effective damage in a single volley than I sometimes did on a whole game of AA xD

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The fliegerfaust is the most fun I've had in this game in a while. Did more effective damage in a single volley than I sometimes did on a whole game of AA xD

Are the anti-tank rockets even able to destroy planes? In BF1 I was able to hit planes with the anti-tank rocket but it wouldn't destroy them which was disappointing. In past battlefield we had the glorious rendezook. I've been able to nail planes with the tank gun in BFV which is just awesome.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Are the anti-tank rockets even able to destroy planes? In BF1 I was able to hit planes with the anti-tank rocket but it wouldn't destroy them which was disappointing. In past battlefield we had the glorious rendezook. I've been able to nail planes with the tank gun in BFV which is just awesome.
Yes, one rocket will do it. The Tromboncino grenade will not though. :<

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I'd try out the new maps, it I got that bug where you die and your ui disappears and you can't respawn. I promptly uninstalled out of frustration.

Come on Dice...
Did I do something wrong or is this bug seriously still happening?
Also had the same bug but on Rotterdam last week.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Man I'm still loving the vgo. What a great weapon, but the s2 is a close second. I'm having a blast.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
What can you even do when your team of attackers just sit in the tanks at home base
This so much.. i really hate it. What's the point of it, really? that pisses me off a lot. Camping with a tank the whole match is some ridiculous sh*t to me.

Btw, randomly i decided a week ago give a 2nd chance to GO. Hated it when tried in launch week but for some reason, i'm really enjoying it a lot at the moment, anyone else?
Probably because we got some rounds of Frontlines, Rush etc. oh and Panzerstorm at "night" is really good.
Anyone more into the rumours or news about the game, any plans to add more maps into it?

and yet about the new maps, Iwo Jima (breakthrough) is my fav BF:V map by far. well, tbh is not that hard, i hate every single map of the game XD Something that didn't happen with BF1.. besides Empire "Sniper fest" Edge.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
^ I hear you guys. I seem to be on the losing side a lot these days in Breakthrough, and it's always because of a lack of people pushing the sector. Over half of the players are just stationary. And the tanks, oh man, they just hover around the periphery, shooting at people.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
No thank you. The planes are able to kill too many infantry already. We need a reliable way to tell them to piss off and that's the fliegerfaust.

Maybe. It's a backbone of how broken Battlefield V's balance is though. Pretty tired of getting one hit instant killed by them while on full health. It's either shit balance from the fliegerfaust, shit balance from planes, or both. One-hit-kill weapons are the laziest method of balancing out your game.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe. It's a backbone of how broken Battlefield V's balance is though. Pretty tired of getting one hit instant killed by them while on full health. It's either shit balance from the fliegerfaust, shit balance from planes, or both. One-hit-kill weapons are the laziest method of balancing out your game.
I heard the FF rockets in game are proximity-fused, so I think removing that would make the weapon a lot more tolerable. AA is also a lot more deadly than the last time I played, so there isn't as much plane-kills-AA imbalance either.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

I agree that there's issues on the balancing on the game.

To be honest, i'd happily trade you the flieger against the ability for planes to see spotted soldiers.

I've been killed so many time by planes that should never have been able to see me that it pisses me off to no end when it happens.

Or maybe reduce the splash damage on their guns ?

Anyway, planes are killing dudes on the ground way too easily. Even with the flieger in game. Like i think i've been killed by planes more times in the past week than in the past months entirely (metro probably helped a lot tho). It's like the new maps or the new planes are designed to get us all killed out of nowhere. They might even have added the flieger just before the pacific because they knew the planes where too strong on the new maps.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I think it's max 90 damage if you hit most of the rockets (1 salvo)
I'll take both thanks. Been getting killed by planes with *zero* recourse since the game released. First thing I went to was the AA tank and it's like shooting spitwads at planes and they just lol and fly off to heal. Now finally a plane user gets to feel how it is to suddenly get taken out on strafing runs and it's a problem? Please.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Jungle Carbine vs Tromboncino... a difficult choice!

The Tromboncino is my most used weapon, even competing with tallied SMG-time. It's just so much fun, difficult to use, and rewarding. The added functionality of the grenade is good for variation, though I have a handful of cases where it's been very useful (blowing up a tank, finishing off an enemy behind cover etc). My specializations are RRRL, the machined bolt is mandatory and the extra movement speed is useful in close quarters. Using the 2X, which IMO is ideal, the benefit of quick aim is negligible. You should always be engaging within the one hit headshot range.

Enter the Jungle Carbine... quick aim again is pretty much irrelevant, which opens up for high velocity bullets (500 -> 570m/s, compared to Tromboncino's 500). Both could in theory net you a kill but we are talking a few frames difference between scope time and bullet travel time, still, you'll be shooting more often than scoping (since it doesn't unscope between shots), so the benefit of velocity bullets is there more often.

Then the Jungle Carbine gets tricky. As with the Tromboncino, faster movement when aiming is a big deal. However, machined bolt will aid you much, much more than the extra movement. I've had situations where there are five heads present and I've knocked all of them, by that point the faster bolt adds up to a lot of time gained. Having 10 shots is insane, that's 5-10 kills from one reload, compared to the Tromboncino's 3-6 (or the Commando with 4-8/5-11). Difference in RoF between the two though is too small to matter at 95 vs 100 (Tromboncino), netting the Jungle Carbine a much higher lethality potential. Thus, I forgo the movement speed in favor of machined bolt.

Since I go with machined bolt I also get slings and swivels, not a big deal, but nice I suppose, especially with my next point.

This is the kicker... Quick reload vs. hip-fire. Quick reload is nice when going from 0 -> 10 bullets, the Tromboncino has a big advantage otherwise that could bring up its lethality potential compared to the Jungle Carbine. However the Jungle uses two stripper clips. This means if you abort the reload after loading one clip (switch weapons), you get back very quickly with 5 bullets, essentially giving you a fast tactical reload (slings and swivels plays a part here). Even with 5 bullets the Jungle is very close to the Tromboncino in kill potential. It is quick enough to make the specialization of quicker reloads less valuable, when needed just do a tactical 5 bullet reload, and try to reload whenever possible to keep it topped off (single bullets above five, stripper clip at five).

Once you get a grip of the reload, you can enhance your grip further and instead go for hipfire! This is a lot of fun to have. When standing the hipfire bloom is a bit too big to be reliable for headshots. However, when you crouch it is comparable to a standing revolver in hipfire accuracy. That is good enough to actually headshot someone in close quarters as we know from using the revolver (though at half the RoF). It's great to have for finishing people off in close quarters, keep moving, crouch and fire, and the kill is yours. It's a very fun tool to have, especially since we have machined bolt and 10 bullets already. Being able to use hipfire in very close quarters compensates further for skipping quick scope and faster ADS movement.

Hip-fire with enchanced grip is identical between all the carbines, though the Commando gets stuck with 8 bullets (with a higher RoF, 109), and the Trombone misses out on faster movement in ADS. You don't want hipfire to be your primary aim method for any weapon (apart from shotguns), so it's situational and should be at a minimum cost. The Jungle Carbine is arguably most viable for hipfire since both other weapons lose something that's always valuable (more bullets and movement speed) compared to quicker reloads as explained above.

That leaves one of the biggest benefits of the Jungle Carbine is a whopping 30 meter extra one hit headshot range, at 100m. Obviously this can make all the difference in your engagements. Up to this point the Jungle Carbine has all the effectiveness of the Tromboncino and then some, pretty much as viable if not more in close combat with the addition of an extended range. The commando is also inferior in most ways from 50 meters and out, which is obviously quite short in comparison and not worth the minor RoF advantage in close IMO (as you'll be losing a lot of those anyway).

So with that I think I've convinced myself that the Jungle Carbine is just straight up better and potentially more fun than my beloved Trombone, and I will be speccing LLLR. I will miss the grenade though. It is nice as a medic to have something to blow up fortifications blocking your path, and I do feel that loss when using the Jungle. But the rule of frequency of use edges the grenade out considerably when taking into account the primary fire performance of the Jungle.

The king is dead, long live the king!

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I heard the FF rockets in game are proximity-fused, so I think removing that would make the weapon a lot more tolerable. AA is also a lot more deadly than the last time I played, so there isn't as much plane-kills-AA imbalance either.

This would be a good change.

I agree that there's issues on the balancing on the game.

To be honest, i'd happily trade you the flieger against the ability for planes to see spotted soldiers.

I've been killed so many time by planes that should never have been able to see me that it pisses me off to no end when it happens.

Or maybe reduce the splash damage on their guns ?

Anyway, planes are killing dudes on the ground way too easily. Even with the flieger in game. Like i think i've been killed by planes more times in the past week than in the past months entirely (metro probably helped a lot tho). It's like the new maps or the new planes are designed to get us all killed out of nowhere. They might even have added the flieger just before the pacific because they knew the planes where too strong on the new maps.

Yeah, I agree with this too. Planes are easy mode against infantry moreso than so Battlefield 3 and 4. But aircraft balance in the game is dogshit in general. Dogfights are boring, they can mow down infantry and vehicles, easy spotting like you said, and that period where AA was almost useless against them for months.

I don't think DICE know what to do with aircraft. I dont doubt it's a very difficult thing to balance, ensuring they feel powerful but not cheap, and also have sufficient countermeasures for infantry. But the current solution and balance doesn't work at all, in my opinion.

I'll take both thanks. Been getting killed by planes with *zero* recourse since the game released. First thing I went to was the AA tank and it's like shooting spitwads at planes and they just lol and fly off to heal. Now finally a plane user gets to feel how it is to suddenly get taken out on strafing runs and it's a problem? Please.

Planes are terribly balanced. They're annoying. AA is fucking dogshit and has been since DICE heavily nerfed it sometime back. Counter balancing aircraft with an insta-kill ground weapon is awful game design to balance already awful game design. You having a good belly laugh at pissing off aircraft because they pissed you off in the past isn't a sufficient counter argument. It's still bad design.

Yes, it's a problem. It's a problem because they're both shit and they've just piled on shit to counter shit. The entire balance needs to be overhauled.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Aye. For now, it's what we've got, but it's far from ideal. IMO, the ideal plane balance would see planes easier to maneuver, but far harder to kill infantry and vehicles with. Make planes better suited to strafing runs on chokepoints rather than the whole god damn map. With planes being less viable for getting dozens of kills and a handful of deaths, the fliegerfaust and anti-air emplacements could be pared back significantly to make up for the reduced killing potential of planes. Making the fliegerfaust hit less hard but have a wider explosive radius would discourage planes from regularly divebombing, keeping them higher up so as to not be nailed by flak during a strafe run too close to the ground.

If dive-bombing or going for a strafe meant the risk was taking a lot of damage and having key parts of your vehicle damaged (or even just straight-up getting shot down) and the reward was securing a kill against a key target rather than a cluster of players, it would reward planes both observing and timing their attacks, instead of going for the kill whenever they have the ammo. It'd make those instances of "incredibly powerful aircraft gets dinged by obnoxiously effective anti-air weaponry" a lot less frequent if the FF were less lethal but still debilitating.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Yes, it's a problem. It's a problem because they're both shit and they've just piled on shit to counter shit. The entire balance needs to be overhauled.
Is it though? Infrantry dies all the time. Why would it be an issue if planes were the same thing? Or learn to shoot/drop bombs from a bigger distance than the (more so now) suicide strafing runs they just used to take over and over with almost no risk?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Is it though? Infrantry dies all the time. Why would it be an issue if planes were the same thing? Or learn to shoot/drop bombs from a bigger distance than the (more so now) suicide strafing runs they just used to take over and over with almost no risk?

I guess that's a sufficient solution if that's the kind of turn and burn disposable life game design you like in Battlefield. I personally don't, and would prefer DICE steer away from this model of design. But, you know, they've been chasing the grind for a good while now so I guess this fits the mark.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Fliegerfaust has got to go.
Someone is grinding the pacific planes I see.

if so, it's just a matter of getting the right unlock then plane are back to the top scoreboard and little to no death..... Specialization/xp system for vehicle is the easiest problem to fixe yet somehow it isn't done.

Last edited:

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
What can you even do when your team of attackers just sit in the tanks at home base

Well... I found out recently on reddit that there's something you can do for tank campers that don't help at all the team : https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefiel...nge_on_player_who_steals_your_tank_when_your/

I didn't know that this solution existed

WIll certainly use it when needed :) (aerodrome is another map where tanks camping at the very edge, close to spawn, are just a PITA...)

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I guess that's a sufficient solution if that's the kind of turn and burn disposable life game design you like in Battlefield. I personally don't, and would prefer DICE steer away from this model of design. But, you know, they've been chasing the grind for a good while now so I guess this fits the mark.
It feels like players have never been more careful with vehicles though, apart from the weird surge in players abandoning tanks, which I'd guess is just a lot of very inexperienced players. It's crazy at times to look at the map on something like Panzerstorm and see how static the tankers can be. The vehicle balance is off, but I don't know how DICE fix it when so many players are chasing killstreaks rather than objectives.

The Fliegerfaust maybe is a little OP, but good pilots still seem to be able to slaughter teams.

Oct 27, 2017
Well... I found out recently on reddit that there's something you can do for tank campers that don't help at all the team : https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefiel...nge_on_player_who_steals_your_tank_when_your/

I didn't know that this solution existed

WIll certainly use it when needed :) (aerodrome is another map where tanks camping at the very edge, close to spawn, are just a PITA...)

Did I see that right? You can friendly fire tanks with TNT?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK, the free weekend has sold me on this: it's the most fun I've ever had in the series, and Breakthrough is like the perfect mode.

Does the Year 2 edition get you any significant exclusive items, like guns etc., or is it all just cosmetic stuff?

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Jungle Carbine vs Tromboncino... a difficult choice!

The Tromboncino is my most used weapon, even competing with tallied SMG-time. It's just so much fun, difficult to use, and rewarding. The added functionality of the grenade is good for variation, though I have a handful of cases where it's been very useful (blowing up a tank, finishing off an enemy behind cover etc). My specializations are RRRL, the machined bolt is mandatory and the extra movement speed is useful in close quarters. Using the 2X, which IMO is ideal, the benefit of quick aim is negligible. You should always be engaging within the one hit headshot range.

Enter the Jungle Carbine... quick aim again is pretty much irrelevant, which opens up for high velocity bullets (500 -> 570m/s, compared to Tromboncino's 500). Both could in theory net you a kill but we are talking a few frames difference between scope time and bullet travel time, still, you'll be shooting more often than scoping (since it doesn't unscope between shots), so the benefit of velocity bullets is there more often.

Then the Jungle Carbine gets tricky. As with the Tromboncino, faster movement when aiming is a big deal. However, machined bolt will aid you much, much more than the extra movement. I've had situations where there are five heads present and I've knocked all of them, by that point the faster bolt adds up to a lot of time gained. Having 10 shots is insane, that's 5-10 kills from one reload, compared to the Tromboncino's 3-6 (or the Commando with 4-8/5-11). Difference in RoF between the two though is too small to matter at 95 vs 100 (Tromboncino), netting the Jungle Carbine a much higher lethality potential. Thus, I forgo the movement speed in favor of machined bolt.

Since I go with machined bolt I also get slings and swivels, not a big deal, but nice I suppose, especially with my next point.

This is the kicker... Quick reload vs. hip-fire. Quick reload is nice when going from 0 -> 10 bullets, the Tromboncino has a big advantage otherwise that could bring up its lethality potential compared to the Jungle Carbine. However the Jungle uses two stripper clips. This means if you abort the reload after loading one clip (switch weapons), you get back very quickly with 5 bullets, essentially giving you a fast tactical reload (slings and swivels plays a part here). Even with 5 bullets the Jungle is very close to the Tromboncino in kill potential. It is quick enough to make the specialization of quicker reloads less valuable, when needed just do a tactical 5 bullet reload, and try to reload whenever possible to keep it topped off (single bullets above five, stripper clip at five).

Once you get a grip of the reload, you can enhance your grip further and instead go for hipfire! This is a lot of fun to have. When standing the hipfire bloom is a bit too big to be reliable for headshots. However, when you crouch it is comparable to a standing revolver in hipfire accuracy. That is good enough to actually headshot someone in close quarters as we know from using the revolver (though at half the RoF). It's great to have for finishing people off in close quarters, keep moving, crouch and fire, and the kill is yours. It's a very fun tool to have, especially since we have machined bolt and 10 bullets already. Being able to use hipfire in very close quarters compensates further for skipping quick scope and faster ADS movement.

Hip-fire with enchanced grip is identical between all the carbines, though the Commando gets stuck with 8 bullets (with a higher RoF, 109), and the Trombone misses out on faster movement in ADS. You don't want hipfire to be your primary aim method for any weapon (apart from shotguns), so it's situational and should be at a minimum cost. The Jungle Carbine is arguably most viable for hipfire since both other weapons lose something that's always valuable (more bullets and movement speed) compared to quicker reloads as explained above.

That leaves one of the biggest benefits of the Jungle Carbine is a whopping 30 meter extra one hit headshot range, at 100m. Obviously this can make all the difference in your engagements. Up to this point the Jungle Carbine has all the effectiveness of the Tromboncino and then some, pretty much as viable if not more in close combat with the addition of an extended range. The commando is also inferior in most ways from 50 meters and out, which is obviously quite short in comparison and not worth the minor RoF advantage in close IMO (as you'll be losing a lot of those anyway).

So with that I think I've convinced myself that the Jungle Carbine is just straight up better and potentially more fun than my beloved Trombone, and I will be speccing LLLR. I will miss the grenade though. It is nice as a medic to have something to blow up fortifications blocking your path, and I do feel that loss when using the Jungle. But the rule of frequency of use edges the grenade out considerably when taking into account the primary fire performance of the Jungle.

The king is dead, long live the king!

As someone who struggled with the tromboncino and dropped it fast, this shit right here is fascinating. I ALWAYS go for quick aim on my guns but now you're making me think twice

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Oh.. the BAR.
I remember it very well from the old MOH:AA competitive times :)

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
As someone who struggled with the tromboncino and dropped it fast, this shit right here is fascinating. I ALWAYS go for quick aim on my guns but now you're making me think twice
On SMGs and these carbines, most of the time I don't think it's worth that much. Here's the difference you'll see with the 2x: Youtube, it's... not a lot. I'm not entirely sure how accuracy for quick scope shots work but I believe you'll hit where the crosshair is going to be even if you fire before the animation is finished. Again the difference is too small to really notice, it is there though, enough to make it a tiny bit difficult to chose. :)

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
On SMGs and these carbines, most of the time I don't think it's worth that much. Here's the difference you'll see with the 2x: Youtube, it's... not a lot. I'm not entirely sure how accuracy for quick scope shots work but I believe you'll hit where the crosshair is going to be even if you fire before the animation is finished. Again the difference is too small to really notice, it is there though, enough to make it a tiny bit difficult to chose. :)

Damn that is a really tiny difference, it must've been in my head all along!

Gonna have to have a play around now as I didn't fully realise the potency of hipfire until I knocked off a few challenges (25 hipfire kills in a round with the type 100). I thought it would be difficult but did it by the mid point of my first match, was surprised just how accurate it was, particularly when stood still.

Oct 27, 2017
Can we rework GO into something exciting.

Things I like:
• Thematic attacks
• Mix of modes
• Concept of Days as rounds
• Day 4 Team Battle Royale

Things I dislike:
• Random scoring on days
• Prolonged sections making the game over one hour long

Proposed changes:
• 15 minute limit on every round.
• BO2: operation is over if one team wins two days*
• No more defenders/attackers advantages, always balanced rounds

Going 2/4 sectors or 2/4 bombs would result in the draw, of half-win, whatever you want to call it. 2 draws + 1 win would result in the overall operation victory. We can cut down on the amount of sectors/bombs to fit shorter rounds. Airborne could easily be just A and C bombs, resulting in the perfect fit for win/draw/lose scenario.

Possible round outcomes for no Day 4:
• Win Win
• Lose Win Win
• Draw Draw Win
Outcomes which trigger Day 4:
• Win Lose Draw
• Draw Draw Draw

Expected result: every round relevant, one-sided operations ending quicker, Day 4 triggered much more often, rounds wouldn't tire people.

Or just... make Team Battle Royale as a mode during one of the weeks.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Does quick aim make a big difference on assault weapons and LMGs?
It depends on the scope. Up to 2x (irons, reflex, 1.25 are all the same) ADS speed is the same for Carbines, LMGs and Assault rifles (300ms), 3x bumps it up to 433ms. At that point the specialization is more valuable. SMGs have a lower base value (217ms) and are thus less effected by the percentage based (33%) perk. If you are fighting SMGs you're at a disadvantage with assault weapons and LMGs, less so with quick aim. Values may have been changed over time but that's how I remember them.

217ms quick aim -> gains 72ms advantage (over... other SMGs, and against pistols)
300ms quick aim -> gains 99ms advantage
433ms quick aim -> gains 143ms advantage

Last edited: