• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things to complain about in BFV the TTK is not one of them. The gunplay and TTK are the best they have ever been in the series. It's right in the sweet spot of things feeling punchy but not turning into a who-sees-who-first-wins fest (CODMW).

Honestly the Gunplay is 99% of the reason I keep coming back to this game despite the anemic content updates.

I think this is one of the main things I didn't like when I tried to get into BF from the bad company days to this very installment. The TTK just felt a little too long and I didn't really like how the guns felt. But BF5 immediately clicked and felt good to fire weapons.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
A team with a half competent commander would smash a team without one in BF4 and there weren't that many people who seemed interested in playing that role. Very difficult to balance and I could imagine it would be worse now, players would just quit if they were on the side without the commander.

Yeah I wonder if they just couldn't get it to work. I'm wondering if we could get a more detailed design perspective. I think it's one of the most interesting mechanics in the series.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never experienced how beautiful this game can be until I played it on a big projector with my Xbox One X connected. Seeing little details like the smoke blowing with the direction of the wind on the Pacific dlc is awesome.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Hardline was super fun.

Preach

giphy.gif

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Main problems of BFV is the lack of team balance and anti cheat measures.

Everything else is minimal. Honestly, not even MMGs proning are that big of an issue. Incendiary grenades are my best friend against them

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I wonder if they just couldn't get it to work. I'm wondering if we could get a more detailed design perspective. I think it's one of the most interesting mechanics in the series.

Could have an AI take over commander when nobody is using it. Could just randomly use radar functions and artillery and whatnot on enemy locations and/or respond whenever a squad requests something. Better than having no commander at all if nobody is wanting to do it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out you can hitch those cannons with a Jeep. Gotta find the cheesiest spot to take them now.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I just found out you can hitch those cannons with a Jeep. Gotta find the cheesiest spot to take them now.

Beginning of Iwo Jima after you take the beach flag, go all the way to the right side of the beach just behind the tank traps. Reasonably far away giving you protection from gunfire, covers alot of A flag, and the big canon on the right side can't shoot you but you can shoot it.

Also, if you are good enough shot you can actually land shots inside the bunker window at B, usually killing or severely hurting anyone inside.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Could have an AI take over commander when nobody is using it. Could just randomly use radar functions and artillery and whatnot on enemy locations and/or respond whenever a squad requests something. Better than having no commander at all if nobody is wanting to do it.
The last thing that belongs in a battlefield game is any type of AI. In your own private bot matches, maybe. The current squad leader system is the next best thing than a dedicated commander.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Stationary weapons fortifications should now take a bit longer to build, it is not just 4 clicks anymore.
Should help when attackers are getting pinned down in Breakthrough. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. The assault class is an assault class now with assault weaponry and explosives.

Whereas the medic class which has the ability to heal itself and others has SMG's. I think that is better balanced. In BF1 the medics had very strong guns (many the best in the game) and the self heal ability.

I main medic in BFV (and I did in BF1) and I personally think V is better balanced. Assault's weakness is they can't always insta heal.

Despite being able to heal, the BF1 medic was screwed against vehicles whereas the BFV assault has both the most versatile guns *and* the best anti-tank capabilities which results in it being by far and away better than any other class in the game. BF1's class balance was actually closer to BF2/2142 where there was a separate anti-tank class that only had access to SMGs.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Stationary weapons fortifications should now take a bit longer to build, it is not just 4 clicks anymore.
Should help when attackers are getting pinned down in Breakthrough. :)

Yeah, might have been guilty of abusing them last time i played Pacific Storm on defense. The guys in the other side where starting to insult me as i was always popping the big guns back to harass the tanks and the barges (and getting rid of the silly snipers in the bushes). The poor guys couldn't get the first sector and it wasn't helped by one of our squads that was collecting the barges and storing them behind the village. T'was a fun round. For us at least.

The big guns really do get built too fast.

Oct 27, 2017
The last thing that belongs in a battlefield game is any type of AI. In your own private bot matches, maybe. The current squad leader system is the next best thing than a dedicated commander.

I don't know, bots like in Titanfall that do mundane tasks like guarding the headquarters or operate artillery would add to the atmosphere and scale of the game.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, might have been guilty of abusing them last time i played Pacific Storm on defense. The guys in the other side where starting to insult me as i was always popping the big guns back to harass the tanks and the barges (and getting rid of the silly snipers in the bushes). The poor guys couldn't get the first sector and it wasn't helped by one of our squads that was collecting the barges and storing them behind the village. T'was a fun round. For us at least.

The big guns really do get built too fast.

We'll also soon disallow defenders to go on the 2nd small island in the front in sector 1 on Pacific Storm. That will help as well.
Small tweaks here and there, which will improve the balance over time.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll also soon disallow defenders to go on the 2nd small island in the front in sector 1 on Pacific Storm. That will help as well.
Small tweaks here and there, which will improve the balance over time.
Do you think we could get one of the US home base spawns moved to the western side of the beach in Iwo Jima Conquest to give them a more fair shake at taking A/B/C without needing a pilot to taxi?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Do you think we could get one of the US home base spawns moved to the western side of the beach in Iwo Jima Conquest to give them a more fair shake at taking A/B/C without needing a pilot to taxi?

Actually, current win ratio is 56%, slightly in favour of the US. Some tweaks to the preround spawns and slight polish has already been done for a future update.
But we don't need to change things significantly.

First impressions would be that the US are having a harder time, but the open nature of their HQ forces them to spread out more to the surrounding flags faster, especially the ones near the mountains.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Defenders don't have tanks on phase one in Iwo Jima. I think defenders will lose their sole remaining tank on Monday on Pacific Storm. In the way, level 0 tanks guarantee an even situation where no side will be more pimped depending on the driver's veterancy.

Squad spawns are broken, as of Sunday.

And of course, upgraded planes raping everyone. Even if they trade plane for one bombing run, those bombs and cannons destroy clusters around objectives in Breakthrough.
Whoa, okay, I appreciate the correction regarding defending tanks, but can we not use language referring to sexual assault in the context of airplanes? That's excessive.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
So I looked at Normal vs. 2nd Year edition. Can you get all the stuff included in 2nd Year by just playing the game when you buy Normal?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I think that the first sector in Iwo Jima is much easier than it looks, as it is the last one. The fourth sector though, it's brutal for the attackers, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

elenarie there is a minor thing that's annoying in the menus, when you go to "my company" and select, for example, the japanese medic, it shows the UK Assault. Same with the vehicles, you select the sherman, it shows the first UK tank. It's annoying.

The other suggestion I have, is adding a way to cycle factions once you are in the class. For example, I'm tweaking the support class, as japanese, and then I want to go to the UK, then I have to go back to the menu, and then to the class again. It's minor, but it's not very user-friendly

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Beginning of Iwo Jima after you take the beach flag, go all the way to the right side of the beach just behind the tank traps. Reasonably far away giving you protection from gunfire, covers alot of A flag, and the big canon on the right side can't shoot you but you can shoot it.

Also, if you are good enough shot you can actually land shots inside the bunker window at B, usually killing or severely hurting anyone inside.

word. I'm about to try this tonight.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else think the thread title should have some sort of update to let people know the pacific update is live? I can edit it if people agree on a new title.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Anyone else think the thread title should have some sort of update to let people know the pacific update is live? I can edit it if people agree on a new title.

"Battlefield V went gold"

jk

Yeah, probably more people would know about it, also considering it's on EA/Origin Access and has free weekends

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, current win ratio is 56%, slightly in favour of the US. Some tweaks to the preround spawns and slight polish has already been done for a future update.
But we don't need to change things significantly.

First impressions would be that the US are having a harder time, but the open nature of their HQ forces them to spread out more to the surrounding flags faster, especially the ones near the mountains.

Apologies since I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, but what's the word on the cheater problem?

Tweaks to balance are cool and all, but when a blatant cheater goes 143-3 it doesn't really matter how many tanks one side gets. It ruins the game for everyone, and it's happening with increasing frequency on PC in my experience.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
word. I'm about to try this tonight.
Someone was doing it last night for us and taking those bunkers was piece of cake.

I still hold that we should have friendly fire on for artillery and so forth even if not for small arms fire. On both offense and defense turtling a flag knowing you can while the others have to run cheapens the feeling.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I tend to rarely hate maps in general as well. I do prefer some maps more than others.
BF1 actually got the synergies between classes right as opposed to BFV where the assault class is so obviously better than everything else.

Yeah, the only map I can think of that I truly despised was the map in BF4 where you were confined to building rooftops because the streets were flooded. I never enjoyed that map or how it flowed. I'd usually just quit out when it came up in rotation.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As is your right sir. But perhaps you could tell me what maps in BF1 you considered good for conquest? What maps produced fun and varied conquest gameplay? Perhaps I'm misremembering but I can't think of many.

It clearly doesn't help that the gun play in 1 was the worst in the series or that DICE butchered the conquest mode or the elites and behemoths that ruined the game.

But maps wise I still don't remember anything that was much other than the same old dull fight.

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic but I still fail to see how Behemoths ruined BF1. Only the losing team got one and it gave them an edge but rarely turned the tables. Most of the time the whole team banded together to take the things down which was pretty cool in itself, like a boss fight mid match.

I would like DIce to revisit the idea at one point but by creating a mode that is tailored to and around them.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As is your right sir. But perhaps you could tell me what maps in BF1 you considered good for conquest? What maps produced fun and varied conquest gameplay? Perhaps I'm misremembering but I can't think of many.

It clearly doesn't help that the gun play in 1 was the worst in the series or that DICE butchered the conquest mode or the elites and behemoths that ruined the game.

But maps wise I still don't remember anything that was much other than the same old dull fight.

i dont particularly like BF1 either but BFV has the worst maps in the mainline franchise.

st quentin scar
ballroom blitz
rupture
sossions
empires edge
montegrappa
brusilov keep

are just some i think are better than all of the BFV maps excluding the 2 new pacific maps.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific is such a good expansion. Feels like a breath of fresh air with how good the combat is. Only thing I don't like is how the performance tanks on the X during large fights. I'd gladly take a resolution drop if it meant the game held to a solid 60 fps.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Pacific is such a good expansion. Feels like a breath of fresh air with how good the combat is. Only thing I don't like is how the performance tanks on the X during large fights. I'd gladly take a resolution drop if it meant the game held to a solid 60 fps.

Its CPU related so res drop wont help.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Levolution was the dumbest name ever but it was such a great inclusion to BF4. I wish it came back just a little more dynamic.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I think that the first sector in Iwo Jima is much easier than it looks, as it is the last one. The fourth sector though, it's brutal for the attackers, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

elenarie there is a minor thing that's annoying in the menus, when you go to "my company" and select, for example, the japanese medic, it shows the UK Assault. Same with the vehicles, you select the sherman, it shows the first UK tank. It's annoying.

The other suggestion I have, is adding a way to cycle factions once you are in the class. For example, I'm tweaking the support class, as japanese, and then I want to go to the UK, then I have to go back to the menu, and then to the class again. It's minor, but it's not very user-friendly

We're making further improvements to that screen very soon.

Deleted member 19996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Breakthrough > Conquest

We we please keep Pacific only playlists? If not, I'll just wait till custom servers are live that accomplish this. I really dislike all the year 1 maps compared to the two new ones.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
i dont particularly like BF1 either but BFV has the worst maps in the mainline franchise.

st quentin scar
ballroom blitz
rupture
sossions
empires edge
montegrappa
brusilov keep

are just some i think are better than all of the BFV maps excluding the 2 new pacific maps.

The first one is a blast. I more or the less agree on the others.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
Slightly off topic but I still fail to see how Behemoths ruined BF1. Only the losing team got one and it gave them an edge but rarely turned the tables. Most of the time the whole team banded together to take the things down which was pretty cool in itself, like a boss fight mid match.

I would like DIce to revisit the idea at one point but by creating a mode that is tailored to and around them.
I don't think they ruined things, but they didn't add much either. Taking them down was a chore that not everyone worked at, using one was fun at times, but was usually a waste of time. Worthwhile in Operations of course.