• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Iwo Jima Breakthrough is easily the best map in the game. I not feeling the Conquest versions at all. Pacific Storm needs more types of transports. All we get are cars/jeeps (no halftracks). Then the Americans get landing crafts which is the only ok thing. The wooden boats are just lol. Completely pointless, you'll just die.

I'm hoping they at least add PT boats later on. They played a significant role in the Pacific and it would be nice to have a transport with some offensive capabilities.

4da65e19967cc5621c77cc0d4f51017f.jpg

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm getting only 80% GPU usage on BFV. This is really odd. Can someone help me diagnose the problem?

Should I run the game in DX12? On older patches, I'd crash or stutter a lot with DX12. Also, is EmptyStandbyList still recommended to clear RAM from the cache? I had to do that earlier this year when RAM not clearing the cache properly was causing performance issues.

EDIT: Realized I had future frame rendering off. That might've been the problem.

EDIT 2: Yep, it was the problem. But after enabling that and DX12 (for the first time since I reinstalled the game for the new update), I'm noticing a lot of stutter I wasn't getting before. Previously I sat around 80-90FPS (sometimes 70 when under heavy load), but now I'm hovering around 100-110 and getting lots of stutter.
Dont use dx12 in this game. Its a graphics deccelerator.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Storm is a really good Conquest map, in my opinion probably the best in the game and better than anything in BF1.

But Iwo Jima Conquest is a little funky and I think it's probably due to the spawn points? I think the American spawn needs to be shifted a little to the left closer to A, B and C.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Storm is a really good Conquest map, in my opinion probably the best in the game and better than anything in BF1.

But Iwo Jima Conquest is a little funky and I think it's probably due to the spawn points? I think the American spawn needs to be shifted a little to the left closer to A, B and C.
They're at a huge disadvantage. They spawn far from any objectives and need to climb uphill to get to the closest ones... which are right outside the JPN spawn.

Oct 27, 2017
Just had a shitload of fun on both new maps on Breakthrough, both competitive matches full of tense back-and-forth moments. That initial assault as attackers on Iwo Jima was great.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was about to write a long post on how much I've started to enjoy this update. Then a cheater comes along and just ruins everything. It was actually a really fun game until he decided to toggle his cheats at the last point. This is frustrating to say the least.

cheatbfv.png

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'll write it out anyways before I go to bed. Iwo Jima Breakthrough is easily the best BF experience I ever had and I've been playing since BF 1942. They absolutely nailed it. If both teams are evenly matched and it goes all the way, it's some of the best gameplay in all of gaming. No joke. It's just an extremely well designed map that looks fantastic. From the fighting on the beach, to the plains, then the caves, and finally the mountain top. There is nothing else like it in gaming. I had so many BF moments, taking a tank into the caves or doing a great flank and going on a crazy mulit kill because of the katana. Speaking of pickups, they are well designed. The katana getting a speed boost was a good choice, much better than increased HP or some other way of making it viable. Pacific Storm is no Iwo Jima, but it's still a fun map. In a sense, it's the polar opposite of Iwo Jima, so they go well together. I'm definitely excited to get my hands on Wake this December.

I have also warmed up to the vehicles. It might seem like there are a fewer, however, once you start upgrading them you can create any type of vehicle to suit you. Light, medium, and heavy tanks? You don't need that anymore. Less is more with the new and improved specialization tree.

However, one of the best aspects of this update are all the small details. I love that planes spawn on carriers. I love how the tanks spawn on the troop carriers and have to roll out. I love the coral reefs and the fishes. The voice acting is phenomenal. It's all of these little things that come together to make this such an amazing experience. This is the first time since playing BF V that I've actually been impressed by what DICE has created. Don't get me wrong, the base game is good, but this is just a totally different caliber. If this is how BF V would have launched, things would have been extremely different. The reception would have been stellar.

In my 450 hours with this game, this is easily the most fun I had. It almost feels like a new game. Even though it doesn't seem like that much content, its worth more than the rest of the game combined. This is a prime example of quality over quantity. Yeah, sure, it's not perfect. There are a ton of issues I could list, but right now I don't want to focus on the negatives. DICE really made something special this time around. If they can keep pumping out content of this caliber, BF V will easily become the best in the series.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, as I said before, had a full game on iwo jima and had goosebumps in the end when we planted that flag. That never happened before. I really felt like I was in a war.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Finally gave it a crack. Both maps on Breakthrough. First impressions are positive, particularly Iwo Jima.

Need to try the maps on Conquest, but the topographical variances, water breaking up areas, setpiece-like locations, and distribution of foliage seems a lot better than the Battlefield V norm. Both maps look excellent but also don't appear to be anywhere near as visually cluttered as most other BFV maps.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Yeah, that was it. Future Frame Rendering bumped my FPS up and DX12 devoured every frame I gained.
It's very system dependent. I get a boost from DX12 but that's on top of the line hardware. I wouldn't recommend future frame rendering as the benefit of the extra frames can be negated by the increase in input lag. If your CPU isn't throwing frames at your GPU fast enough (which could explain the 80% utilisation) DX12 usually helps as it tends to aid CPU bottlenecked systems from my experience.

Future frame rendering should make your CPU work more by queing frames up to the GPU, if the CPU is the cause of low GPU utilisation then I don't think it would help as the CPU should be strained as it is. But then again BFV is heavily threaded so there might be some odd behaviour (say for instance if you have many underpowered threads or vice versa a low count of fast threads) to some of these settings and it's not very well documented online.

In general BFV likes many threads and it dislikes 4 cores/threads and below. It also likes a lot of RAM.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's very system dependent. I get a boost from DX12 but that's on top of the line hardware. I wouldn't recommend future frame rendering as the benefit of the extra frames can be negated by the increase in input lag. If your CPU isn't throwing frames at your GPU fast enough (which could explain the 80% utilisation) DX12 usually helps as it tends to aid CPU bottlenecked systems from my experience.

Future frame rendering should make your CPU work more by queing frames up to the GPU, if the CPU is the cause of low GPU utilisation then I don't think it would help as the CPU should be strained as it is. But then again BFV is heavily threaded so there might be some odd behaviour (say for instance if you have many underpowered threads or vice versa a low count of fast threads) to some of these settings and it's not very well documented online.

In general BFV likes many threads and it dislikes 4 cores/threads and below. It also likes a lot of RAM.

Hmm so what's your suggestion for a 8600k 6c/6t CPU paired with a GTX 1070 1080p 144hz G-Sync setup? I get 100fps+ in all cases on Ultra settings but DX11 has my CPU pegged at 100%, DX12 at 90% both with future-frame rendering on though I still have weird hitches every now and then. Not gamebreaking but noticeable in fights.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Hmm so what's your suggestion for a 8600k 6c/6t CPU paired with a GTX 1070 1080p 144hz G-Sync setup? I get 100fps+ in all cases on Ultra settings but DX11 has my CPU pegged at 100%, DX12 at 90% both with future-frame rendering on though I still have weird hitches every now and then. Not gamebreaking but noticeable in fights.
Well in theory I'd take DX12 with 90% as that leaves some headroom for spikes and hitches. A 1070 at 1080p ultra should be giving 100+ frames but 144 is pushing it, so my guess would be that at 90% in DX12 you're still pushing as many frames as the GPU can handle (since DX12 tends to utilize CPU more efficiently, and a 100% usuage shouldn't be misinterpreted as efficiency as often as it is).

I recommend you try to find a consistent average and cap your framerate at that. Pre rendered frames or not is mainly a preference choice, though again in theory being GPU capped is better than CPU capped to avoid hitches. BFV has also had unexplainable issues in the past with hitches that are hard to eliminate at any setting, and you'll always hitch the first time you play on a new area on a new map.

Try perhaps capping the framerate at 120 or so to get some headroom. Maybe even go from Ultra to High for a few settings (as ultra can be very inefficient), personally at 1080p I'd lower the settings to high and up resolution scaling instead. If DX12 isn't working for you cap the framerate in DX11 to take the CPU utilization down a notch (again to have a buffer against hitches).

Like I said there isn't a lot of good documentation regarding this and the game has had so many optimizations over time that a lot of advice given previously is outdated (mainly regarding DX12, which had a huge boost a few months after release).

Oct 27, 2017
Damn having a lot of fun in the game but can't help but feel like the m1 garand is slightly op. I've lost more fights with using an auto against that thing and that's still hitting all my shots. I know it take at least one body and one headshot to kill with the gun. I mean only downside is the clip size but for most 1 on 1 fights it for sure holds the advantage.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I jumped back in last night and you all are right. The new maps are incredible. Bravo dice.

Jun 1, 2018
This game is such a disappointment compared to bf4. The plane physics are so bad, there is no time to cool down, it's literally call of duty now with all the rushing

Oct 27, 2017
This game is such a disappointment compared to bf4. The plane physics are so bad, there is no time to cool down, it's literally call of duty now with all the rushing

I don't really mess with planes so I got nothing on that but care to elaborate on the cool down part? Do you mean time in between battles? Cause that has nothing to do with a cod thing. Most of the time in game modes playing a part. Conquest you will always get downtime but in modes like breakthrough it's kinda the point to feel hectic.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Hey guess what, I encountered the same hacker right now. Over 2 weeks later and still not banned.

So business as usual then. I have seen the same hackers for months.
I was about to write a long post on how much I've started to enjoy this update. Then a cheater comes along and just ruins everything. It was actually a really fun game until he decided to toggle his cheats at the last point. This is frustrating to say the least.

cheatbfv.png
'

Oh, hey, welcome to pretty much every round I have played in the last few months. According to Ostron there are no cheaters if you had bad rounds.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
So business as usual then. I have seen the same hackers for months.

Oh, hey, welcome to pretty much every round I have played in the last few months. According to Ostron there are no cheaters if you had bad rounds.
That's a mis-quote; fact is bad players see more cheaters than good players do, and good players rarely see any cheaters at all. That's speaking from experience. :)

Your experience is cheaters every round aaaand well let's say your experience is also explained with the above.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any cheaters, I just crush the competition

#GlobalEliteBFV

It is nice that the crewman hairstyle works on women. I wish all hair were universal.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Damn having a lot of fun in the game but can't help but feel like the m1 garand is slightly op. I've lost more fights with using an auto against that thing and that's still hitting all my shots. I know it take at least one body and one headshot to kill with the gun. I mean only downside is the clip size but for most 1 on 1 fights it for sure holds the advantage.

It's a great gun, but the Breda or Karabin are just as great. Overall the assault class has the best guns in the game.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well in theory I'd take DX12 with 90% as that leaves some headroom for spikes and hitches. A 1070 at 1080p ultra should be giving 100+ frames but 144 is pushing it, so my guess would be that at 90% in DX12 you're still pushing as many frames as the GPU can handle (since DX12 tends to utilize CPU more efficiently, and a 100% usuage shouldn't be misinterpreted as efficiency as often as it is).

I recommend you try to find a consistent average and cap your framerate at that. Pre rendered frames or not is mainly a preference choice, though again in theory being GPU capped is better than CPU capped to avoid hitches. BFV has also had unexplainable issues in the past with hitches that are hard to eliminate at any setting, and you'll always hitch the first time you play on a new area on a new map.

Try perhaps capping the framerate at 120 or so to get some headroom. Maybe even go from Ultra to High for a few settings (as ultra can be very inefficient), personally at 1080p I'd lower the settings to high and up resolution scaling instead. If DX12 isn't working for you cap the framerate in DX11 to take the CPU utilization down a notch (again to have a buffer against hitches).

Like I said there isn't a lot of good documentation regarding this and the game has had so many optimizations over time that a lot of advice given previously is outdated (mainly regarding DX12, which had a huge boost a few months after release).

First of all let me say I'm not pushing for 144fps at all, with G-Sync I'm honestly more than fine getting 80+, everything else is a bonus so having 100+ frames in a demanding game like BFV is already super good in my book. I'm just trying to combat the random stutters I have despite my frames not really dipping by a large margin. In DX11 I thought it might be because I'm pegged at 100% CPU usage and in DX12 I'm not sure because I also heard that DX12 can lead to random hitches that might or might not be related to cache generation. But alright I'll play around with you advice and also experiment with Future Frame Rendering off and on, thanks! :)

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
Had my first chance to play Iwo and Pacific last night. I'm still in awe of how gorgeous the maps looks. After seeing no one taking planes, I flew a couple last night for prob the fist time in BFV and it was awesome. Didn't figure out how to accurately drop bombs, but I stayed in the air for quite some time!! Breakthrough on Iwo is fun as hell.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
So, the more I play the more I like the new maps.
regarding performance...I'm not sure how they did it, but it runs really, really well.
I like the soldiers yelling at the round start, but it just ends there. There is so much they could have done to make the game more war authentic.
And then...I had two rounds of 27p vs 15p that were completely boring. thanks to the lack of balance system.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
We're looking into removing the other tank on the first sector of Breakthrough on Pacific Storm as well, early in the week. Let's see if that balances out that sector a bit further. :)

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I don't see any cheaters, I just crush the competition

#GlobalEliteBFV

It is nice that the crewman hairstyle works on women. I wish all hair were universal.
I agree that all hair styles should be universal. All in all great New update. Been having a blast. My only issue is that there is not enough foliage on either map at the start. It feels barren, but maybe that is accurate to the real islands. I was hoping for a think forest area, I guess Vietnam style.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Anything coming later to add more customizable sights to guns? BF1 had adjustable zoom on every scope as far as i remember, and i'd like some more scope types for different weapons. Lattey sights being restricted to certain weapons is an example.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoying the free weekend.
Does this have crossplay? If not are there enough people playing on PS4 still?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Anything coming later to add more customizable sights to guns? BF1 had adjustable zoom on every scope as far as i remember, and i'd like some more scope types for different weapons. Lattey sights being restricted to certain weapons is an example.

Don't hold your breath. No weapon has gotten new sights, but they have adjusted zoom levels. E.g. iron sights are now 1.5x instead of original 1x.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I think both maps are a lot of fun on Conquest and they look great. Noticed some performance problems on Pacific Storm but nothing too bad (PS4 Pro).

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Why do the new planes not have the same bombing recticle in third person that helps you aim? Or am I missing something?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously, Iwo Jima is a perfect example of why DICE needs to change their map design philosophy.

This map is just amazing in Breakthrough. Best in the whole game, easily. Allows for good pacing, various encounters, not too chaotic, rather "clean" and you can feel it was designed with this mode in mind. Because, well, Conquest isn't as good on Iwo Jima.

DICE needs to slow down with this "every mode available on every map" mentality. Screw what players will say. They won't moan when they get greatly designed maps. Base BF5 maps are bad because it feels like devs tried to tweak them for various modes. I seriously hope that the longer dev times means we will get more maps with some just exclusively available in specific game modes. Give me 5 maps for Conquest and 5 maps for Breakthrough and I'll be happy.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, Iwo Jima is a perfect example of why DICE needs to change their map design philosophy.

This map is just amazing in Breakthrough. Best in the whole game, easily. Allows for good pacing, various encounters, not too chaotic, rather "clean" and you can feel it was designed with this mode in mind. Because, well, Conquest isn't as good on Iwo Jima.

DICE needs to slow down with this "every mode available on every map" mentality. Screw what players will say. They won't moan when they get greatly designed maps. Base BF5 maps are bad because it feels like devs tried to tweak them for various modes. I seriously hope that the longer dev times means we will get more maps with some just exclusively available in specific game modes. Give me 5 maps for Conquest and 5 maps for Breakthrough and I'll be happy.

/shrug I disagree with this entirely. I flat out wouldn't buy a Battlefield game if it only launched with 5 Conquest maps. I play Battlefield specifically for Conquest and I think there are a lot of people like me.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Jungle Carbine is good, really good. It's easily the best rifle for the Medic now. It's a two shot kill (one shot headshot) out to around 100m then it becomes three shot, so it has excellent damage dropoff. However, it's accuracy is insanely good. Moving, hipfire, or stationary it doesn't matter. Plus it has 10 rounds, so it just shits on all the other bolt carbines.

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, got my medium tanks maxed out for Japan and American. I am having way more fun tanking with the new factions then I did with the old factions for some reason. Not sure if it's the maps make better tank maps or if it's because of all the patch changes but man has it been fun.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
I jumped back in last night and you all are right. The new maps are incredible. Bravo dice.

My exact thoughts. Haven't played since launch yet these 2 maps are so well made. Haven't had this much fun on a multiplayer shooter for ages.

Also, is Grand Operations still popular these days? Everyone seems to be playing breakthrough. Have they added any new grand operations since launch?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
/shrug I disagree with this entirely. I flat out wouldn't buy a Battlefield game if it only launched with 5 Conquest maps. I play Battlefield specifically for Conquest and I think there are a lot of people like me.

So you prefer 10 maps for Conquest including 5 that suck ass, just to have 10 maps?

Okay I guess.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
So you prefer 10 maps for Conquest including 5 that suck ass, just to have 10 maps?

Okay I guess.

Focused map design always works better because you don't have to account for modes you're not going to have to worry about. You'll never catch me playing conquest on the likes of metro and inversely rush on something like bf3/4's Caspian border

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The Jungle Carbine is good, really good. It's easily the best rifle for the Medic now. It's a two shot kill (one shot headshot) out to around 100m then it becomes three shot, so it has excellent damage dropoff. However, it's accuracy is insanely good. Moving, hipfire, or stationary it doesn't matter. Plus it has 10 rounds, so it just shits on all the other bolt carbines.
Glad to hear it! I enjoy the other two carbines so I'm sure it will be up my alley.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

Okay I guess.

I don't play breakthrough so I'd prefer 10 good Conquests maps lol.

5 Conquest maps only wouldn't be enough for a launch and I don't know if DICE would have the resources or time do something like 8 Conquest maps and 5 breakthrough. It makes sense to just have 10 maps or whatever that are playable in both modes. Mode specific maps would make the game content light.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completed mastery and Proficiency for the Garand. Sucks that the iron sights don't match and that the muzzles are all stupid looking.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Are the bolt action rifles for the medic good? Or should i stick to the smgs?