• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The new LMG is pretty pretty good. Was mowing down dudes yesterday.

I think if DICE devs played the game in a live environment with real players more they'd have a better understanding of the flaws in their design choices.

They probably do, but I get what you mean and agree. Sometimes the balance changes in Battlefield games seems more boardroom, spreadsheet "good idea" than something that actually addresses real world play. But Battlefield isn't the only series with these problems. Battlefront's DLC pack patching in bacta bombs was one of the dumbest additions I've ever seen added to a multiplayer shooter, breaking the firefight metagame by giving people an insta heal. There was no reason not to use it. And it took literally months for DICE to even acknowledge that this one item had measurably busted the game.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
All in all, BFV does feel like it needed more time in the oven. I wonder if we'll see a massive patch of tweaks, like 4.6 but bigger, by the end of the year.

Last night I was playing Grand Operations (which is such a good idea left there... it's a great way of introducing storylines to a multiplayer game, oh well...) in Hannut. On Breakthrough as attackers, we were stuck on the second sector with tanks being behind. Ok, I use tanks and say, fuck this we gotta push right? People are complaining about tanks camping and stuff. Well, turns out that infantry just didn't support. Went in with a Tiger 1, flank, get some Supports spawning with me, I request repairs, throw smoke, get to cover... nothing. As soon as something gets to me, they just ran away. Fuck it, went the other way with the Panzer IV, spamming flares trying to get an open path... infantry don't push so I get mowed by either a swarm of assaults or the heavy tanks that can't be taken down because no one repairs our own heavy tanks.

I know that vehicle gameplay isn't the best in this game, but people can't seem to understand that vehicles need repairs, that not repairing them reinforces the idea of tanks camping because it's a shorter trip to the stations.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Why are the stats totally bugged (at least for Firestorm)? And why can't I view my friends' stats? Basic shit like this missing from the game is annoying, especially 1 year after launch.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Operation Underground was what this game needed.
Metro was the best map in BF 4 just due to the intense firefights you can get into.

Played a few rounds yesterday and it's great! If you have a capable squad, you should be able to rack up the kills.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Operation Underground was what this game needed.
Metro was the best map in BF 4 just due to the intense firefights you can get into.

Played a few rounds yesterday and it's great! If you have a capable squad, you should be able to rack up the kills.

You don't even need a capable squad. I just use the Tommy Gun and mow people getting multikills. It's a satisfying one-match-and-I'll-leave map

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Well I've been playing BF1 for months after playing BF5 since launch, but maybe I'll give BF5 another shot. Maybe...
BF1 is just soooooo good next to 5.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's a few months old now, but Levelcap did a video about going back to BF1 and it was interesting to watch.

The biggest take away is just how refined and polished BF1 was. It's quite obvious BFV was rushed and clearly not ready for release.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The only thing I miss from BF1 is the ambiance. It felt like a weird dream-like scenario (nightmarish, since it's a war), of feeling like half-awaken, I don't know if that describes it.

Hey, by the way, what do you all think of the Madsen? We've barely talked about it.

I actually like the gun, but as with the bren, I can't use guns with that huge magazine. I feel blind

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
going back to BF1, you instantly notice how smooth it is. BFV is a very choppy and stuttery experience. it feels a lot like the high levels of microstutter you often experience with mgpu

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There is not much to say about the Madsen. It's identical to the Bren, but it does a little less damage, but can have a 40 round mag. The damage change doesn't matter that much because the only place you'd notice it is in CQC and both the Bren and Madsen are bad at CQC, so it's pretty irrelevant.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
After months without touch in BFV, i see the new update and map is out. Install it again..

Didnt last more than 3 games. DICE should rename it for Operation Campers. Want to enjoy the game and tried a lot, but its not for me. insta deaths is still a thing with some weapons. Whtv, good games for the people that still play the game :)
BF1 will keep me entertained till the next game release

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I miss from BF1 is the ambiance. It felt like a weird dream-like scenario (nightmarish, since it's a war), of feeling like half-awaken, I don't know if that describes it.

Hey, by the way, what do you all think of the Madsen? We've barely talked about it.

I actually like the gun, but as with the bren, I can't use guns with that huge magazine. I feel blind
Agreed, the atmosphere in BF1 is a 10/10. That game felt more WW2 than BFV.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They shrunk it a bit, the outside areas are worse, and I don't really like the new routes. Would have preferred the BF4 version.

I agree with the outside sections being worse. The park area was great.

mikael-nellfors-001.jpg

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield 1's visual and audio production is amongst DICE's best. It's tonally on point and makes incredibly effective use of colour filtering shifts, particle effects, and audio detail to conjure a chaotic, messy, bloody warfront. The weather shifts are more aggressive, and maps more regularly use colour muting and vibrancy filters contextually to dramatically shift the tone. Great use of contrasting lighting too.

Oct 26, 2017
So is there any way to get rid of the camos on the different gun customization options? I like how some of the other ones look on the Sten but don't want random blotches of paint on them

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
So is there any way to get rid of the camos on the different gun customization options? I like how some of the other ones look on the Sten but don't want random blotches of paint on them

I assume you mean how some of the cosmetics add or change geometry (like the shape of the barrel) but also come with a new paint job too. In which case no, I don't think you can swap out the paint job.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Rush on Operation Underground is actually pretty enjoyable.... performance is also much better than CQ or BT.
Shame that this week's reward is a tank skin I'm never going to use.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Rush is pretty good. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a lot of fun. Time to grind the gold Rush tag.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Official.
Server.
Balance.
Script.

Please!

Something to fix teams that are imbalanced by player count and/or a script that force mixes teams if one wins by at a gigantic margin! It CAN'T be that hard!

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Rush is pretty good. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a lot of fun. Time to grind the gold Rush tag.
I was really hoping Al Sundan would have a Rush variant, I think they should make this permanent at some point but probably not enough maps yet.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
DICE pls leave Rush as a permanent mode!
It's bizarre that what is a staple BF mode is now timed.

I really enjoyed Rush across most of the maps its on last night.

I had 3 disconnects tonight. PS4. Anyone else?

Same here.
Had one entire server crash and the game wasn't available anymore where I found it on the browser.

PS4 as well.

Official.
Server.
Balance.
Script.

Please!

Something to fix teams that are imbalanced by player count and/or a script that force mixes teams if one wins by at a gigantic margin! It CAN'T be that hard!

This entire OT has been crying for auto balancing since practically day 1. It's so demoralising to stay in a server that's so unbalanced.
Don't believe I've played an MP game that has this sort of none approach to balancing before.

I'm not getting my hopes this will be addressed by Pacific theatre time tbh but here's hoping.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Autobalancing and anti-cheating are not important to DICE. They flat out ignore requests to answer more trivial stuff

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
None of these maps are made specifically for Rush so they are all trash.

The fact that you don't enjoy a map on a mode doesn't mean it's trash. Just that you don't like it.

I mean, the only map that i really like for Conquest in BFV is Underground, yet i don't say the others are trash. And according to your scale, it would be even more trash as they are designed for CQ primarily.

In BF3 and 4 i almost only played Rush and it was perfectly enjoyable. And i didn't felt they where less enjoyable than in BC2.

I'm yet to play Rush mode in BFV outside or Arras 64 players in the Hannut Grand Op but even if the maps are not very good for Rush on 5, it doesn't mean the maps in 3 or 4 where shit as well.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's like, your opinion man.

I haven't enjoyed Rush since BC2 because none of the maps since have been specifically designed to accommodate the mode. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Ranking modes in BFV I'd go:

1. Conquest
2. Rush
3. Squad Conquest
4. Breakthrough
5. Grand Ops

*ain't played any other modes*

Only Grand Ops is truly the worst and a massive step down from Grand Ops in BF 1 (lack of atmosphere etc, extremely long matches etc)

Squad Conquest is surprisingly good fun and works on all the altered maps for it, more so when you're in your own full squad talking together. I enjoy the constant initimate skirmishes where BFV gameplay really shines. Its also nice for players like me who live in regions with far far less players than 'Murica or EU.

Rush, I rank highly because defending or attacking is always fun to play and doesn't get super annoying or demolishing even when getting stomped.
Maybe if it wasn't limited and I got to play it more it'd be more frustrating I dunno.

Breakthrough is cool but team balance tends to wreck that mode severely.
Conquest is just the big daddy and works pretty alright but it falls apart on linear maps like Fjell (fuck fjell) and the lack of connectivity between land and air sucks but for that all-out war feeling it can't be beat.

These opinions are only based on BF1 and BFV as I'm a recent newcomer to BF series so my thoughts are likely trash.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Grand Ops is sitting there to be improved and be an amazing experience, but it's the Firestorm of the core modes.

Hey I liked Rush a lot. I'd be playing it quite a bit, but I won't be able this week. I got to the final nod and couldn't win three matches so there goes the skin.

Wish Rush was permanent. I really like it and would play it more, but it's up the precise week this month I will not play lol

Oct 27, 2017
Ranking modes in BFV I'd go:

1. Conquest
2. Rush
3. Squad Conquest
4. Breakthrough
5. Grand Ops

*ain't played any other modes*

Only Grand Ops is truly the worst and a massive step down from Grand Ops in BF 1 (lack of atmosphere etc, extremely long matches etc)

Squad Conquest is surprisingly good fun and works on all the altered maps for it, more so when you're in your own full squad talking together. I enjoy the constant initimate skirmishes where BFV gameplay really shines. Its also nice for players like me who live in regions with far far less players than 'Murica or EU.

Rush, I rank highly because defending or attacking is always fun to play and doesn't get super annoying or demolishing even when getting stomped.
Maybe if it wasn't limited and I got to play it more it'd be more frustrating I dunno.

Breakthrough is cool but team balance tends to wreck that mode severely.
Conquest is just the big daddy and works pretty alright but it falls apart on linear maps like Fjell (fuck fjell) and the lack of connectivity between land and air sucks but for that all-out war feeling it can't be beat.

These opinions are only based on BF1 and BFV as I'm a recent newcomer to BF series so my thoughts are likely trash.

Don't worry, your opinion is on point.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Rankings

1. Conquest
2. Rush
3. Breakthrough
4. Grand Ops

There are other modes?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It really depends on the maps though.

Breakthrough is generally amazing, but Hamada is not a fun map there. The first sector is horrible. But Hamada on Conquest is really fun (unpopular opinion, I know)

Twisted Steel on Conquest bores me, as Arras, but on Breakthrough/Rush I have a lot of fun

Panzerstorm is great on both. Al Sundan is fun on Conquest but great on Breakthrough

Rotterdam is also fun in both modes, Rush too

Narvik is better on Breakthrough than Conquest, Fjell is meh on conquest and apparently is something that exists on breaktrhough too

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
This entire OT has been crying for auto balancing since practically day 1. It's so demoralising to stay in a server that's so unbalanced.
Don't believe I've played an MP game that has this sort of none approach to balancing before.

I'm not getting my hopes this will be addressed by Pacific theatre time tbh but here's hoping.
This just happened. Again.
smFIeoW.png

The match started with 4 on the German team and full setup on British. It's unbelievable how common this is.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rush is really getting on my nerves, thankfully I don't even use the tank the skin is for.

Seriously, I would much rather be playing Breakthrough. 64 players, vehicles, it feels like a proper Battlefield mode. Rush was great in Bad Company 1 and Bad Company 2, but since then I haven't been a fan since they keep tweaking how the mode works and the fact that maps aren't built specifically for the mode.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
DICE, don't make assignments that are win X amount of games. Your game doesn't have adequate matchmaking nor do teams even start evenly. It's ridiculous. It's just a lottery.

You join a server and you lose a game. The same thing happens again. The players on the winning team stick around because they are winning, while the losers leave and games start uneven. Players tickle in to the losing team and the same thing keeps happening. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded, but you tied an assignment you have to do to get X amount of wins. Poor planning on your part. If you want to make this type of assignment make it an optional path, not the the main and only one.

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm over it. I just played 2-3 hours and not a single win (scratch that, it seems I got one, lol). It's not because I'm incompetent. It's because this game has no matchmaking, no team swapping, no auto balancer, no team scrambling, and let's games start extremely uneven. But Forerunner, why not just go to a different server? Because the same thing will happen. I wait in que and get put on a losing team because that's the only way free spots open up. Then it's deja vu, all over again.

Fortnite has better matchmaking than this game.