• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
So Metro is a great Rush map and I expect Underground to be as well, when is Rush coming back?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So Metro is a great Rush map and I expect Underground to be as well, when is Rush coming back?

Week 2 of Battlefest.
Week 2 – In a Hurry

The fan-favorite Rush mode will be playable for a limited time starting on Battlefest's second week. Try it out on maps like Operation Underground and more. If you want to spruce up your Sturmgeschütz IV tank, make sure to unlock the stunning Captain Hadlow vehicle skin by nailing the Week 2 challenge.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My biggest concerns with the game atm.

Team balancing- It just doesn't exist. To make matters worse, matches start extremely lopsided. A team will start with +10 more players, it kills servers. Something needs to be done with starts and balancing. This is the worst it has ever been in a BF game.

Cheaters- It's comical at this point. You just expect one to be in every game you play. I just posted someone going 150-3 and has over a day of playtime and has yet to be banned. That's why players want private servers so much; at least the mods can ban cheaters from them.

Performance- Still isn't great, it's passable, but I wish it was better. I'll be running around with 80-90 frames and it'll just dump to 30-40 for no reason whatsoever. Changing my settings doesn't matter, I just constantly have dips and fluctuation. Then you have something like BF 2, which runs and looks amazing. I understand there is probably a bit more happening in BF V, however, DICE's previous titles such as Battlefield 1 and Battlefront 2 I never had a single issue with performance and they look great, even better than BF V at times.

With the Pacific coming, I'm good with content. That's not any issue for me. I just wish these issues, which have plagued the game since launch would get ironed out.

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Started playing my ps4 copy again, trying to get it caught up to my pc progress. Feels good to play again! Was 50/50 on Al Sundan but it quickly grew on me. Still catching up with some of the other maps that were added and I REALLY need to give Firestorm a shot. Love that medics have rifles now too, since that's basically all I play.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Can't tell much since it's just the top, but here's the layout.

s6kvst21gxp31.jpg

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
My biggest concerns with the game atm.

Team balancing- It just doesn't exist. To make matters worse, matches start extremely lopsided. A team will start with +10 more players, it kills servers. Something needs to be done with starts and balancing. This is the worst it has ever been in a BF game.

Cheaters- It's comical at this point. You just expect one to be in every game you play. I just posted someone going 150-3 and has over a day of playtime and has yet to be banned. That's why players want private servers so much; at least the mods can ban cheaters from them.

Performance- Still isn't great, it's passable, but I wish it was better. I'll be running around with 80-90 frames and it'll just dump to 30-40 for no reason whatsoever. Changing my settings doesn't matter, I just constantly have dips and fluctuation. Then you have something like BF 2, which runs and looks amazing. I understand there is probably a bit more happening in BF V, however, DICE's previous titles such as Battlefield 1 and Battlefront 2 I never had a single issue with performance and they look great, even better than BF V at times.

With the Pacific coming, I'm good with content. That's not any issue for me. I just wish these issues, which have plagued the game since launch would get ironed out.

First 2 should be the top priority for fixes.

The content of the game would be a whole lot better with proper team balance. The other day we were on Al Sundan BT, which is absolutely fantastic, but the server was 26 vs 13.

What's funny is that new players were added to the server, and we ended 30 vs 13 lol

Oct 27, 2017
First 2 should be the top priority for fixes.

The content of the game would be a whole lot better with proper team balance. The other day we were on Al Sundan BT, which is absolutely fantastic, but the server was 26 vs 13.

What's funny is that new players were added to the server, and we ended 30 vs 13 lol

I don't believe for a second they don't have metrics that show them how often this happens, yet it has not been talked about once yet. It's annoying.

Can't tell much since it's just the top, but here's the layout.

s6kvst21gxp31.jpg

Is that from Operation Underground? If so I rather want to fight out in the open than in the tunnels. A shame to waste such a nice layout.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe for a second they don't have metrics that show them how often this happens, yet it has not been talked about once yet. It's annoying.

Is that from Operation Underground? If so I rather want to fight out in the open than in the tunnels. A shame to waste such a nice layout.

Well, 2 out of 3 flags are in the open. You'll definitely fight in the open.

Thomas

Dec 11, 2017
Sweden
Here is David Sirlands (multplayer producer) thoughts on the state of game after returning from 8 months prental leave.
Maybe someone will find it interesting.

Source

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
It's for Recon players that can't hit headshots and casual players.

Anti-material rifles are designed to be used against military equipment, but DICE made it so players just use it primarily against infantry. They need a rework.

Thats like a lowkey insult to me and Im not a casual.

Tbh, I just miss the Martini Henry. Im either on point with my shots or I get destroyed by anyone.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Sector 1 and 3 in Breakthrough are in the open. Flags A and C in Conquest are in the open.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Here is David Sirlands (multplayer producer) thoughts on the state of game after returning from 8 months prental leave.
Maybe someone will find it interesting.

Source

That's a good answer.

It's clear that the game need improvements in key areas, specially QoL, but sometimes, little stuff make up the rough areas and can make a game look better, having a better presentation of what's already there. Like, for example, the lack of the commander voicelines in the Panzerstorm Grand Operation, well and the black screen with the white text, could be an area of improvement. Having a rotating menu screen, etc. I guess those would take resources for more important stuff.

Other than that, these "cosmetic" (in the sense of presentation), could make a big impact on how the game is recieved. You can have the same content, but perhaps adding French and Italians would already make it better.

elenarie by the way, I think that the Pre-end of round music in Al Sundan sometimes is bugged. When the team has few tickets or the last objectives are falling, the music doesn't kick in like it does in Squad Conquest

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OT2 is coming up faster than I tho. Any suggestions for a new thread title? Also if someone wants to make it, feel free to copy and past the OP.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
OT2: Awakening the DICE Devs

OT2: We shall battle Underground, we shall battle on the Beaches, we shall battle whatever the delay may be

OT2: Letters from the Patch Notes

OT2: Ich bin geschlagen, flick mich SANITÄTER!

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Had some great matches last night on Al Sundan. It's shaping to be one of my favorite maps on Breaktrough.

I was at the top of the scoreboard when I got it with the infinite bleedout bug though :( coulnd't spawn anymore

haha I'm sorry

Hey elenarie
Now that Sony is fully onboard with crossplay, do you think we will see it in BFV soon?

Yeah, that would be great. I would happily play with controller from time to time when I'm tired of office work but still wanna play BFV

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Hey elenarie
Now that Sony is fully onboard with crossplay, do you think we will see it in BFV soon?

We shall see how things turn. Probably going to be a thing for all future games we release, but not sure if it will be "back ported" to current releases.
Would require complete re-architecture of our networking stack and all of the backends.

One other immediate thing is that our PC servers run with 60 hz tick rate, and our console servers with 30. So we cannot pair PC with consoles even if it was as simple as turning on a switch. The experience will be bad whatever way we go. Maybe next-gen? Will see.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
One other immediate thing is that our PC servers run with 60 hz tick rate, and our console servers with 30. So we cannot pair PC with consoles even if it was as simple as turning on a switch. The experience will be bad whatever way we go. Maybe next-gen? Will see.

giphy.gif

I wanted fresh meat to mow down...

Oct 27, 2017

Wow I never even knew this. When 60Hz servers became a thing back at BF4 I assumed it was for every platform from now on. What's the reason for this?

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
We shall see how things turn. Probably going to be a thing for all future games we release, but not sure if it will be "back ported" to current releases.
Would require complete re-architecture of our networking stack and all of the backends.

That will be very much possible on the next gen consoles, where 60hz servers can easily fit the consoles.
So you can pair 60 hz PC servers with 60hz consoles servers and everyone will be happy :)

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Wow I never even knew this. When 60Hz servers became a thing back at BF4 I assumed it was for every platform from now on. What's the reason for this?

In a nutshell, the current gen console CPUs are too weak to handle 60 updates per second of networked data. The performance cost rises exponentially the more players there are on the servers. Higher tick rate requires the clients to do more network-related updates work which lowers down the overall performance. With us trying to target 60 fps gameplay even on base kits, all while trying to push the tech forward, things get quite tricky and challenging.

I'd say costs. Why bother upgrading the servers to 60Hz when the players playing on them will most likely never see something above 40 fps ?

There are no servers to "upgrade" so the cost of actually running servers at 60 hz instead of 30 hz is not an issue. It is just a config switch so we could turn on 120 hz servers for consoles if we wanted to. But then your Xbox / PS would start to melt. It's all limited by the performance of the clients.

Maybe next gen this won't be an issue. :)

Oct 27, 2017
In a nutshell, the current gen console CPUs are too weak to handle 60 updates per second of networked data. The performance cost rises exponentially the more players there are on the servers. Higher tick rate requires the clients to do more network-related updates work which lowers down the overall performance. With us trying to target 60 fps gameplay even on base kits, all while trying to push the tech forward, things get quite tricky and challenging.

Ok, thanks for explaining. Feels weird since the new CoD has 60Hz servers as well appearantly and has to have them for consoles as well because of crossplay. But it also has a much smaller scope of course. Will be interesting to see how the release version of Ground War will stack up against Battlefield.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, thanks for explaining. Feels weird since the new CoD has 60Hz servers as well appearantly and has to have them for consoles as well because of crossplay. But it also has a much smaller scope of course. Will be interesting to see how the release version of Ground War will stack up against Battlefield.
IIRC Ground War in the beta ran at like 14hz.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
COD doesn't have to sync the state of thousands of assets and terrain data 30 / 60 times per second, though. Unless they've added server driven destruction in the new one.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Can players actually tell the difference between 30Hz and 60Hz servers? I mean if you don't tell them what the rate is, and they play for a while, can they actually tell? Popular games have had server rates down to 20Hz. I think there are a ton of quality of life improvements for gamers that are more important, such as team balancing, population size, cheating, and so on.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
COD doesn't have to sync the state of thousands of assets and terrain data 30 / 60 times per second, though. Unless they've added server driven destruction in the new one.
Right, but I don't know if you got a chance to play that beta but the low tickrate of Ground War caused a lot of issues with shoot first die first and corner killing.

In comparison BFV's netcode, even at 30hz with destruction, is so much more robust it's crazy.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Right, but I don't know if you got a chance to play that beta but the low tickrate of Ground War caused a lot of issues with shoot first die first and corner killing.

In comparison BFV's netcode, even at 30hz with destruction, is so much more robust it's crazy.

Played only a few rounds, so didn't really give it a proper try. Will do probably over the next few months when it comes out. End of this month, I guess?

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Played some Al Sundan for the first time today, didn't really feel it coming right out of the CoD Beta. Will try to adapt to BFV again though, especially with tomorrow's drop.

Do we know at what time Operation Underground will unlock? I assume there won't be a patch right? (PS4)

Also elenarie, could you make a statement regarding the issue where some trees and other foliage have very low detail sometimes, especially on Arras and Twisted Steel?
Have asked this here and on Reddit, I've noticed you being more active here, which I really appreciate, so I thought I'd try again.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Played only a few rounds, so didn't really give it a proper try. Will do probably over the next few months when it comes out. End of this month, I guess?

October 25th. We'll be busy getting the 100.000.000 kills lol

By the way, about that, do you know what's the usual killcount on a normal week?

Status
Not open for further replies.