• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, boats is vague. I'd feel better if they said ships. Boats makes it sound like we are just getting the small stuff.

A boat is a watercraft of a large range of type and size. Ships are generally distinguished from boats based on their larger size, shape, and cargo or passenger capacity, and their ability to carry boats.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I like the new game mode outpost, plays well. Sadly there is only 2 maps.

On ARRAS i would change the outpost positions as they are too far away. I like it more on Mercury.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like the new game mode outpost, plays well. Sadly there is only 2 maps.

On ARRAS i would change the outpost positions as they are too far away. I like it more on Mercury.
Yeah I am enjoying the new mode. Lol i was just watching the entire team rush to build the radio tower as I sat there shooting them.

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
I think outpost is a cool idea, like a mix of rush and conquest, but it's probably not going to get the balancing it needs to be great. It really does not need planes or probably even tanks, if the towers are going to be destroy-able by explosives. And being the most fortification heavy mode is cool, but it really shows how awkward and half-baked that whole system is. The biggest problem with fortifications has always been that most of the time you're just cutting off your line of sight to the approaching enemies, and the sandbags aren't strong enough to make that trade-off worth it. Well that and, everyone runs off anyway after forifying.

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017
This new mode is a lot of fun... until the tanks start shelling outpost towers from their spawn and the planes come in. I think this mode would be perfect they made the towers only destructible by planting on them. I feel that tanks sitting way back and planes instantly nuking them kind of ruins the fun, for me at least.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Soviets should be easier to add since they don't have to make two new factions, unlike the US and Japan. That being said, I don't see them until summer or fall of next year. They are going to be busy adding more content for the Pacific theater. However, they could do some Manchuria maps with the Soviets vs Japan.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I figure the Soviet update will be a major drop sometime mid/end of 2020. Pacific Update towards the end of this year, focusing on USA vs Japan, with Tides of War content rollouts for both of these factions ongoing. I'm guessing a couple of map drops that are USA vs Germany too, for cross content. All leading to a Soviet drop that'll reuse a lot of Germany content, minimising workload by having just the Soviets and a bunch of new theatres of war.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda frustrating that I won't fully complete this Chapter to get all rewards just because I avoided Firestorm. Hope DICE changes that for the next Chapter. Hardcore fans shouldn't be penalized just because they don't want to engage in that wholly separate game mode (I played it once, got my Victory Royale, and don't really feel the need to go back).

It's kind of weird that main country in world War II is not in the game LOL.

Not sure why you'd call Russia the "main country". Yes, hugely important to the war, took tremendous losses, responsible for taking out many, many German troops, etc. But they also weren't really involved in the war until 1941 (I wouldn't count their Warsaw Pact deal attack on Poland). Germany was involved from 1939 until their surrender in 1945. They, along with Japan, are the aggressors and therefore the primary countries of WWII in my opinion. They fought the longest, in every region of their respective theaters.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Kinda frustrating that I won't fully complete this Chapter to get all rewards just because I avoided Firestorm. Hope DICE changes that for the next Chapter. Hardcore fans shouldn't be penalized just because they don't want to engage in that wholly separate game mode (I played it once, got my Victory Royale, and don't really feel the need to go back).

Most of the firestorm assignments take more time then they are worth in chapter xp. Its fastest to play frontlines (RIP) otherwise just whatever mode you enjoy most.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I play quite a bit, generally daily. But it's still not enough for this Chapter, it's nuts.

I play almost daily as well. I have avoided most of the firestorm stuff as well. I will hit level 40 today. I am just saying how hard it is to hit 40 has nothing to do with the firestorm assignments, they offer so little xp compared to spending time in any other mode. Its just a crazy ammount of chapter xp needed.

Oct 25, 2017
I play almost daily as well. I have avoided most of the firestorm stuff as well. I will hit level 40 today. I am just saying how hard it is to hit 40 has nothing to do with the firestorm assignments, they offer so little xp compared to spending time in any other mode. Its just a crazy ammount of chapter xp needed.

But the difference between this Chapter and prior ones is that you'd end up getting many/most/all of the weekly assignments just by playing standard MP. Some of those are gone now just because DICE put a significant number of assignments in Firestorm this time. I can probably hit 40 by June 20, but I'll have to play a crap ton by then, which is ridiculous considering how much I do play, how I'm a good-scoring player, and how I obtain most weekly assignments. It's obtainable, sure, but I shouldn't have to devote all my gaming time to finishing the Chapter.

smashkirby

Oct 25, 2017
It's so strange that out of any mode I've played for this game... Outpost feels the most balanced in terms of score.

I had at least 5 different matches ending around 90/100 to 100. I do like Arras more actually, yes it turns into a ring a round the rosy/zerg but as soon as it reaches mid-round it just folds into people counter bombing points, defending points with tanks/transports..(cause wow they actually spawn tons of transports in the mode).

It's like DICE finally finally figured out a way to make people actually think about defending. Maybe they won't, maybe they will but at least they think to do it.
Possibly the biggest thing I love is that it gives you defender score... you can give orders on each stage of the tower to earn tons of points. It just rewards you for playing the objective so much that I've actually gotten 1st even with a small amount of kills.

I really really want some more maps for this game mode, even the two are just vastly different.

All in all this just melts every new thing BF5 added with fortifications, call-ins, focus on the strong gunplay and an even stronger focus on team play even if it's 32v32.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
How's the player-base for this game doing on PS4? I started to get back into BF1 last week, and I'm wondering if it's picking BFV up now.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
But the difference between this Chapter and prior ones is that you'd end up getting many/most/all of the weekly assignments just by playing standard MP. Some of those are gone now just because DICE put a significant number of assignments in Firestorm this time. I can probably hit 40 by June 20, but I'll have to play a crap ton by then, which is ridiculous considering how much I do play, how I'm a good-scoring player, and how I obtain most weekly assignments. It's obtainable, sure, but I shouldn't have to devote all my gaming time to finishing the Chapter.

But what I am saying is that since the time to xp gain for the firestorm assignments is so low, if I had gotten all the firestorm assignments done I would ultimately have spent more time then just playing the normal game modes only. Having a few less normal MP assignments does not drastically increase the amount of time needed when the xp needed for 40 is so high anyways.

Looking back at the ToW assignments requiring firestorm, they total 302,500 chapter experience. A significant amount, but the chapter xp needed to get to level 40 is 2,966,600. So we are talking about one tenth of the total ToW chapter xp. In no way is 1/10 the total xp available to earn too much to give firestorm. Looking at my own missed assignments I lost out on 341,000 xp yet normal gameplay still made up the difference.

For reference the non firestorm assignments total 1,128,000 xp. So all in, doing every ToW assignment gets you 1,430,500 xp.Just less then half the required amount.

If you want to complain about how long it takes to get to level 40 in general fine, hell I even agree. Getting to level 40 takes a large time commitment. But the firestorm assignments are not the issue. This chapter would have required a large commitment regardless of the firestorm assignments.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
But what I am saying is that since the time to xp gain for the firestorm assignments is so low, if I had gotten all the firestorm assignments done I would ultimately have spent more time then just playing the normal game modes only. Having a few less normal MP assignments does not drastically increase the amount of time needed when the xp needed for 40 is so high anyways.

Looking back at the ToW assignments requiring firestorm, they total 302,500 chapter experience. A significant amount, but the chapter xp needed to get to level 40 is 2,966,600. So we are talking about one tenth of the total ToW chapter xp. In no way is 1/10 the total xp available to earn too much to give firestorm. Looking at my own missed assignments I lost out on 341,000 xp yet normal gameplay still made up the difference.

If you want to complain about how long it takes to get to level 40 in general fine, hell I even agree. Getting to level 40 takes a large time commitment. But the firestorm assignments are not the issue. This chapter would have required a large commitment regardless of the firestorm assignments.

I don't know what experience I'm at now for this Chapter, but I have the gold dog tag for it, which is 2.25 mil. That means about 700k to get to 40 beyond that. So the 300k in Firestorm assignments are pretty relevant. If completing all of them, that gets me nearly halfway to 40 from the gold dog tag 2.25 mil point. It's quite possibly the difference between me getting to 40 by June 20 or not.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I don't know what experience I'm at now for this Chapter, but I have the gold dog tag for it, which is 2.25 mil. That means about 700k to get to 40 beyond that. So the 300k in Firestorm assignments are pretty relevant. If completing all of them, that gets me nearly halfway to 40 from the gold dog tag 2.25 mil point. It's quite possibly the difference between me getting to 40 by June 20 or not.
You might have gotten the gold dog tag early. For a lot of people it glitched and counted xp from the previous chapter towards the gold dog tag. It did for me, I got it ages ago as a result.

302,500 xp from the firestorm assignments equals going from 38 to 40 roughly. 38 to 39 was about 140,000 and 39 to 40 is 166,000.

Oct 25, 2017
You might have gotten the gold dog tag early. For a lot of people it glitched and counted xp from the previous chapter towards the gold dog tag. It did for me, I got it ages ago as a result.

302,500 xp from the firestorm assignments equals going from 38 to 40 roughly. 38 to 39 was about 140,000 and 39 to 40 is 166,000.

The gold dog tag just popped up recently, so I'm not sure. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a glitch, though.

Regardless, it ain't a great look for DICE when it was relatively easy to complete prior Chapters, even when missing an entire week, and now the process seems arduous, coincidentally after they started selling premium currency to buy tiers.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Outpost is a really neat mode. It fits on Mercury especially well.

I'm excited to play on Al Sundan, and the new music sounds great as always.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Outpost is interesting, it definitely has some merit to it. It has good pacing and I like how they increased req gain (or it seems that way). It speeds up the tempo. However, some matches aren't good and it's because of the teams. Everyone just goes to the same point, builds it real fast, and then everyone moves to the next. If you actually have people that stay and defend, plus split up. It makes for a good match.

It's probably my favorite mode they added so far.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to buy this on PS4 or Xbox after all the promising news we got, and at least there I won't have the fear or doubt that I'm dealing with hackers in the games I'm in.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In 2 matches, my squad had enough points for that squad point assignment. Each time, the squad leader refused to give up command and never used any of those points. Ugh..

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Unlocked the new gun, just got two or three cheevos left for this Tides of War. Wont get the Firestorm one but should be able to get the rest. No way I'm going to be able to get past level 36. Ended up getting the gold dog tag from the XP bug. Also had the problem of several squad leaders not spending requisition points despite having literally 60k+ in the bank, but always ensuring an objective is marked so nobody can wrestle away control. Last leader was obviously on the same page, mashing out any and every squad call-in during the last 5 or so points of the match haha. Got us the cheevo.

I'm pretty fond of the new mode. Arras doesn't work anywhere near as well as Mercury, but I'd like to see a few new maps added to it as I'd probably boot it up every once in awhile.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how demanded of a feature this is but is there a fix coming for Xbox HDR? In BF1, the slider would go all the way to 5000, but the BFV one caps at 2000. I need something higher to properly calibrate my TV, unless there's a different fix for this issue.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Speaking of HDR... I messed about with the setting on PC and I got the impression that it improved visibility quite a bit. I've had this issue with team icons where I'm never quite happy with how obtrusive or visible they are, that seemed to go away with HDR. Likewise the MY EYES-effect from being inside and looking out into a sunny area felt like a non-issue, and visibility on snowy maps felt like it was improved.

However I find it difficult to be objective and feel certain about the effect and it's even more difficult to find opinions of HDR for BFV on PC.

Does anyone here have anything to share? Right now I don't use it because Shadowplay won't record with HDR enabled, but I have this nagging feeling that HDR might actually be better than SDR in BFV...

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure why you'd call Russia the "main country". Yes, hugely important to the war, took tremendous losses, responsible for taking out many, many German troops, etc. But they also weren't really involved in the war until 1941 (I wouldn't count their Warsaw Pact deal attack on Poland). Germany was involved from 1939 until their surrender in 1945. They, along with Japan, are the aggressors and therefore the primary countries of WWII in my opinion. They fought the longest, in every region of their respective theaters.
Everything germany does from the start of the war is because russia . They are hitler main goal since the beginning of the war. And Russia is in the war at the beginning.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Knee mortar.
tenor.gif

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
New gun gets a pass from me for now. I get what they're trying to accomplish, a middleground between assault rifle and SMG. But the end result is a master at neither and my style of playing medic does not utilise it well. I'd rather damage and/or firerate in close quarters, and I've already learned how to handle the base roster of SMGs over range that the accuracy bonus here doesn't really help. So whatevs.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything germany does from the start of the war is because russia . They are hitler main goal since the beginning of the war. And Russia is in the war at the beginning.

Russia invaded Poland along with Germany in September of 1939, splitting the country with the Warsaw Pact. Poland fell quickly. Russia then sat out the war until June of 1941, when Germany attacked them. By that point, Britain had been at war with Germany for a full year, first on the ground in France, then later in the skies over Britain.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Outpost is neat mode. I like how tanks and planes only get into the action after halftime.
BFV has by far the best new modes added to the franchise. Outpost, Firestorm, Squad Conquest are great additions.

Oct 27, 2017
Russia invaded Poland along with Germany in September of 1939, splitting the country with the Warsaw Pact. Poland fell quickly. Russia then sat out the war until June of 1941, when Germany attacked them. By that point, Britain had been at war with Germany for a full year, first on the ground in France, then later in the skies over Britain.

en.wikipedia.org

Winter War - Wikipedia

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I'm not getting involved with this week's tow assignments as I only play conquest. I'll just buy the gun next week.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Winter war.

Status
Not open for further replies.