• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to the same length of time after the Battlefield 1 launch, BFV has four times as many tanks and planes, one less map, and twice as many guns. The content is good and it's been well-supported with multiple important patches--even when taking into account the sections of the game that weren't there at release.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Compared to the same length of time after the Battlefield 1 launch, BFV has four times as many tanks and planes, one less map, and twice as many guns. The content is good and it's been well-supported with multiple important patches--even when taking into account the sections of the game that weren't there at release.

In 2 weeks it will have 5 less maps, not to mention like 1/3rd of the campaign content. Theres also no rentaserver in bfv. Id also argue that the maps in bf 1 were larger and more robust

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I think the lack of information about upcoming maps is a big part of the problem. By this stage two years ago, youtubers had DLC gameplay footage. We have no idea how many new maps are coming.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like they keep adding new weapons etc but the maps are getting tiring. Need some fresh stuff to roam around in.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that could makes us "feel" having more content would be for the athmospheric effects to happen more often and stay longer (stuff like rain, fog, snow/sand tempest, etc etc). It's cool when it happens but it's too rare and doesn't last long enough for my taste. It changes radically the feelings of the map and sometimes even the gameplay.

Or just varying the times of day (while staying away from dark night times) could help.

I mean, the first stage of Hannut almost feels like a completely new map while it's simply the C and D flags of Panzerstorm at "night". Small variations like that could alleviate the wait for proper new maps.

(but we obviously still need new maps)

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Communication could definitely be better. I don't know why they are being so secretive about it. Firestorm is coming next month and we know and seen nothing about it or the update (besides a tractor). We know nothing about anything coming.

What happened to the new squad reinforcements?
What happened to B Coins and Elite gear?

They'll mention something then not talk about it again.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
Imagine if BF V was being released this fall. War Stories, Combined Arms, Firestorm, a decent amount of maps/modes, and a polished game. I think the reception would have been very positive. Then for continued support they could add new factions/maps and vehicles/weapons. However, instead what we got was something that felt like early access. I said it before, it reminds me a lot of Halo 5's release and life cycle.

War stories and Combined arms are useless. People will always want more maps, vehicles and factions in Battlefield over bad and bland war stories.

In my opinion, Halo 5's live service was excellent, it had a steady stream of content almost every month. I never felt "oh, it's really getting stale, I'm bored to play this game now, when is the new content coming ?"
I agree that BTB, Custom games and Forge were missing at launch, but Warzone was somewhat replacing it and Forge proved to be one of the best maps/mini-games creator for players, it was definitely worth the wait.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
War stories and Combined arms are useless. People will always want more maps, vehicles and factions in Battlefield over bad and bland war stories.

In my opinion, Halo 5's live service was excellent, it had a steady stream of content almost every month. I never felt "oh, it's really getting stale, I'm bored to play this game now, when is the new content coming ?"
I agree that BTB, Custom games and Forge were missing at launch, but Warzone was somewhat replacing it and Forge proved to be one of the best maps/mini-games creator for players, it was definitely worth the wait.

I disagree. Halo 5's live service was sub par in almost every way. They added new "maps" that were just reskins of existing maps (remixes). When they added BTB they never had proper created maps (all forge maps) because they wanted to funnel players into WZ to spend money, which is why BTB was an after thought. They eventually added modes like Infection and Oddball, which were always in past series at launch. The updates just mostly consisted of features that were in past titles at launch and they threw in a bunch of req items so players spent money. All of that stuff should have been there from the start and you build off of it. They released a bare bones title and then added old content and marketed it as "new" so you spend more money on the req system.

The only redeeming and quality update Halo 5 got was Forge. Seriously, the Forge team deserves a raise.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
This is game is a beta, seems like spec tree is completely bugged when leveling a weapon, every weapon i level now i have to leave the game for me to buy the specs, this game clearly wasn't ready, thanks EA for rushing another game out, you fucking dimwits..

Oct 27, 2017
Communication could definitely be better. I don't know why they are being so secretive about it. Firestorm is coming next month and we know and seen nothing about it or the update (besides a tractor). We know nothing about anything coming.

What happened to the new squad reinforcements?
What happened to B Coins and Elite gear?

They'll mention something then not talk about it again.

That is how games breed toxicity in the community. It is like a pressure valve building on the game problems, lack of information and empty promises. You have to go into the trenches and talk to the audience about the issues instead of doing the monologue about the news, fluff and irrelevant bits. EA/DICE does not have the benefit of the doubt because they fucked up too many times in the past.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Like this shit isn't Apex Legends there is no reason to keep it a secret. We knew it was coming. So why not show us earlier so we can give our feedback on it? You're finally going to show it the same month it's supposed to be released? wtf

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Optimistic me: They've seen the success of a stealth launch for Apex and so are going to do a big reveal and "play now!" event in march. It will have a bunch of interesting customisation and you can either play and buy some or buy boins.

Pessmistic me: They've got all the money they can from people (via sales), they've given up on Boins and so a skeleton crew will put out "a" BR mode and we're done until BF6.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Like this shit isn't Apex Legends there is no reason to keep it a secret. We knew it was coming. So why not show us earlier so we can give our feedback on it? You're finally going to show it the same month it's supposed to be released? wtf

Relax, there's still two whole days left for the marketing to start ramping up..... /s

Marketing beats will start ramping up this month as we get closer to release.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
In 2 weeks it will have 5 less maps, not to mention like 1/3rd of the campaign content. Theres also no rentaserver in bfv. Id also argue that the maps in bf 1 were larger and more robust

Eh, I disagree in regards to the Bf1 maps. Sometimes they are bigger and have a distinct artistic vision that I love, but they were more built around "frontlines" type of gameplay, pushing objectives and ending in base-rape for most of the game. BFV maps allow for more flanking

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Eh, I disagree in regards to the Bf1 maps. Sometimes they are bigger and have a distinct artistic vision that I love, but they were more built around "frontlines" type of gameplay, pushing objectives and ending in base-rape for most of the game. BFV maps allow for more flanking

Aerodrome, hamada, panzerstorm, fjell and to a lesser extent even twisted steel all seem like extremely rushed maps with very little design time and polish put into them. Well below the level of quality and time that went into bf 1 base maps. Even the worst map in bf 1, suez, seems to be more robust and had more time put into it than the ones i listed.

Compare the now obligatory meat grinder map from both titles. Argonne forest vs fjell. The level of perceived craftsmanship that went into each is just worlds higher in argonne forest. You could do this comparison for all the maps and generally outside of narvik and rotterdam battlefield v doesnt come close to battlefield 1

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I don't know why my game is getting blurry after the latest updates.
I have tried every setting possible, it looks blurry at the distance, and i'm sure it wasn't before.

Am I alone here? :(

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Aerodrome, hamada, panzerstorm, fjell and to a lesser extent even twisted steel all seem like extremely rushed maps with very little design time and polish put into them. Well below the level of quality and time that went into bf 1 base maps. Even the worst map in bf 1, suez, seems to be more robust and had more time put into it than the ones i listed.

Compare the now obligatory meat grinder map from both titles. Argonne forest vs fjell. The level of perceived craftsmanship that went into each is just worlds higher in argonne forest. You could do this comparison for all the maps and generally outside of narvik and rotterdam battlefield v doesnt come close to battlefield 1

No, I still disagree. Devastation and Aerodrome feel more like the meatgrinder map, but they aren't chokepoints, that's what I like. If you don't want to be in the meatgrinder you can always find a way. Aerodrome is a bit harder with the snipers, in that regard is closer to Suez-

Hamada and Panzerstorm are great, but I think it depends on how much you like vehicles here.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No, I still disagree. Devastation and Aerodrome feel more like the meatgrinder map, but they aren't chokepoints, that's what I like. If you don't want to be in the meatgrinder you can always find a way. Aerodrome is a bit harder with the snipers, in that regard is closer to Suez-

Hamada and Panzerstorm are great, but I think it depends on how much you like vehicles here.

i think we are on completely different wavelengths here. im coming from a completely different perspective, nothing to do with how enjoyable a map is or how it plays. im simply referring to the perceived amt of developer effort/time that went into the maps. its far lower in BFV. only narvik and rotterdam come across as maps that received considerable time investment. in BF1 maps that hit that criteria for me are montegrappa, argonne forest, st quentin scar, ballroom blitz, empires edge, amiens, fao fortress and sinai desert

Last edited:
OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield obviously isn't over lol. I do think Live Service, at least delivered this way, was a mistake for Battlefield V. Battlefield fans are too conditioned to larger themed updates that are comprehensive in faction contextual representation across multiple maps, weapons, vehicles, uniforms, and gadgets. Even if the wait is longer than expected, there's an excitement to a "French" or "Russia" update dropping, and knowing I can allocate play time to chewing through 4 - 5 new maps, with new vehicles integrated into their structure and flow (like a lot of the naval vehicles added in that specific Battlefield 1 update), while unlocking an assortment of new weapons.

Battlefield V has nothing like that. So there's no momentum in the anticipation for new content. Just...drip fed stuff, that's all good, but so slow it's like okay? Firestorm is exciting but then it's like...what's next? How are they going to handle American, Russian, and maybe Japanese inclusion? These are big updates, in theory. Are they going to a themed Tides of War across a couple of months, wherein a couple of maps drop, and we unlock the new faction's weapons and vehicles each week?

I try not to jump the gun with Battlefield V either, because it's still actually pretty fresh. Battlefield 1 didn't get the first DLC, France, until months into launch. And Battlefield 4 didn't get its first update until about now, which was an assortment of maps ported over from Battlefield 3. So I don't want to criticise Battlefield 1 for not having a fuckload of new content when it's only 2 - 3 months old.

But it is confusing how the future will pan out with the live service delivery model. Namely what shape the game will be in come its first birthday.
Yeah frankly, I think you and I are on the same page regarding BF series. The next roadmap and info about upcoming ToW is whats gonna matter if this game will live or fade away.

Its a shame to me, since BF is my main shooter.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being frankly realistic for a second:

They went on Twitter and admitted they do not have the resources to accomplish basic polish / bug fixes and even minor new content at the same time.

How much stuff do people think is gonna be on the roadmap past March?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
i think we are on completely different wavelengths here. im coming from a completely different perspective, nothing to do with how enjoyable a map is or how it plays. im simply referring to the perceived amt of developer effort/time that went into the maps. its far lower in BFV. only narvik and rotterdam come across as maps that received considerable time investment. in BF1 maps that hit that criteria for me are montegrappa, argonne forest, st quentin scar, ballroom blitz, empires edge, amiens, fao fortress and sinai desert
I find bfV maps far more fun to play than bf1 ones, but think I can see what you mean.
A good number of Battlefield V maps lack any kind of unique structure to separate them from the other maps. If we take Panzerstorm/Arras/twisted steel, it almost feel like map mostly done from a level editor using the same biome with little need to specific asset except twisted steel bridge.

They went on Twitter and admitted they do not have the resources to accomplish basic polish / bug fixes and even minor new content at the same time.

I'm usually on the pessimistic side of the spectrum, but I wouldn't take that Ju52 plane thingy as something representative of what is happening behind the scene with content planned for months. For all we know ( or more like don't know, since they don't communicate.... ) a big chunk of people could be working on big drop of content accompanying the release of new faction.
Or not... so ffs communicate Dice.. even if what is announced happen to be amazing ( one can hope), it would be better to say it when there is still players who cares.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Not only the planes. There is still that the British use German Flak guns instead of, like, Bofors cannons or something for their air defense.

And there was a long time where for some reason when playing for example Breakthrough, if you were Germans defending, your AT cannons were 16 pounders and when you were British defending, they were Pak 43s.

Yes I remember that.

Although for the British its a 6 Pounder (57mm) and the Germans its a Pak40 (75mm). 17 Pounder = 76.2mm; Pak43 = 88mm (both are ridiculously oversized barn door anti tank guns)

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I expect the bare min TBH. Prob 2 more ToW without no new maps than a new map. Something along those lines. But I will give DICE the benefit of the doubt since this is their first time doing a GAAS and its BF, the main EA shooter. Perhaps the roadmap will surprise people. DICE can still turn it around with BFV but this is the last chance IMO.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect the bare min TBH. Prob 2 more ToW without no new maps than a new map. Something along those lines. But I will give DICE the benefit of the doubt since this is their first time doing a GAAS and its BF, the main EA shooter. Perhaps the roadmap will surprise people. DICE can still turn it around with BFV but this is the last chance IMO.

Agreed accept for one correction: it's their second attempt at a GaaS. Battlefront 2 was their first attempt at GaaS and has been fairly underwhelming. It's really only had one major update, Geonosis, which came out like a year after launch

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed accept for one correction: it's their second attempt at a GaaS. Battlefront 2 was their first attempt at GaaS and has been fairly underwhelming. It's really only had one major update, Geonosis, which came out like a year after launch
O yeah I forgot all about BF2..welp maybe DICE has learn something? haha...

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The Hannut operation is so good. I'm loving this mode. Yeah there are some points where it can be a tank spamfest but those usually go quick. I think it's the most 'war' battlefield has felt in a long time.

Yeah, it's worth remembering that the first BF1 expansion wasn't until March (and BF1 came out a month earlier in the year than BFV did). AND expansion 2 wasn't until six months later.

I agree that the support thus far has been lackluster, and the lack of knowing what content is coming is frustrating (and when), but it's not like past BF games already had a ton of new content 3 months after launch.

This is what basically killed off my group's interest in that game and it was so tragic. We were hot and heavy on the release but they took sooooooo long to release meaningful updates to bring us all back. Even with most of us having Premium because of how much we liked the launch game, by the time the big DLCs hit it was too long and we had all moved on to other things. They really screwed up Premium with BF1, but I still wish it was around for BFV (in the way it was for 3 and 4, with set schedules that they can actually hit at a regular interval) because it's the best playing BF to date but is just starved for content.

Harpua

Oct 25, 2017
The Hannut operation is so good. I'm loving this mode. Yeah there are some points where it can be a tank spamfest but those usually go quick. I think it's the most 'war' battlefield has felt in a long time.

I love the potential, but it's ruined with bad teammates. I have yet to play a match as attackers on day 2 where my teammates don't sit back with the tanks. It's impossible to get any movement on the A flag when this happens.

I got so frustrated the other day that I started blowing up the tank resupply. It was actually some of the most fun I've had in this game. Who knew you could kill teammates by blowing up your own mines.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

levelcap isnt too optimistic on getting much new content. thinks if firestorm is a huge hit things might change

I think the majority of the BF community feels that way as well. There is still "Soon" in the game. Still waiting for the microtransactions, still waiting for the battle royal thats coming out next month with no info on it besides a tractor. Also that tweet the other day doesnt really enforce confidence in the future of BFV.
j9hkt1bpaxi21.jpg
I forgot about the elite company gear till I saw this. Another "soon".

BTW PintSizedSlasher is that your post on reddit?

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm anything I can do about the visibility in this game on ps4? The icons seem small or I dont see enemies as they blend in with the background. Just checking if theres any settings I missed or that's how the game is designed and i need to get gud

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Games as service only works if people buy microtransactions this game has no microtransactions you do the math

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think the majority of the BF community feels that way as well. There is still "Soon" in the game. Still waiting for the microtransactions, still waiting for the battle royal thats coming out next month with no info on it besides a tractor. Also that tweet the other day doesnt really enforce confidence in the future of BFV.
j9hkt1bpaxi21.jpg
I forgot about the elite company gear till I saw this. Another "soon".

BTW PintSizedSlasher is that your post on reddit?

See, this is what I mean about communication. That image has been up for a long ass time. Now at the end of February, they go oh that image is wrong and it's not happening this month. Why didn't they tell us at the beginning instead of waiting until there are two days left in the month.

Oct 27, 2017
Games as service only works if people buy microtransactions this game has no microtransactions you do the math

This is not right.

Service is a selling point, it is a constant added value being pumped into the game:
• More players will be playing the game, the community is going to grow (or diminish at a much slower rate)
• More players buying the game as a result of the new content/improvements
• More players recommending the game as a result of new content
• More players will likely buy the next game based on the value delivered in the previous one
• More players will use the platform (Anthem/Apex/Games advertisement every launch)
• Positive PR

EA is definitely interested in the direct revenue from microtransactions, it is a primary force behind their business decisions, but there is a lot of indirect value from supporting the game right.

Oct 27, 2017
Still amazes me that people neglect the armored cars after all this time. I got so many killing sprees and game-winning plants with the thing on Hannut already and nobody seems to copy it.

It's especially funny if half of the team spawns and leaves the car in quick succession, making it look like you're driving a clown car.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why my game is getting blurry after the latest updates.
I have tried every setting possible, it looks blurry at the distance, and i'm sure it wasn't before.

Am I alone here? :(
Same here. UI is smaller too.
elenarie

p.s I do hope you are not put off by the negativity. I get that it can be disheartening after putting in X amount of hours into the game. BF is prob my favorite FPS series and I do hope the best for the series now and in the future. I hope you continue to hang out around here from time to time.

I'm not on Reddit. Why, did somebody post something about Fjell? 😅
O gotcha, just a reddit user that has the same username as you. So I thought it could be you.

Oct 27, 2017
elenarie

p.s I do hope you are not put off by the negativity. I get that it can be disheartening after putting in X amount of hours into the game. BF is prob my favorite FPS series and I do hope the best for the series now and in the future. I hope you continue to hang out around here from time to time.

To add to that, BF5 right now feels like a rough diamond. So it's especially annoying to see all the imperfections not getting ironed out since there is something special hidden behind all those many, many imperfections.

Also I'm still fully convinced that the devs are not to blame for the state of the game but the execs at EA.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Also I'm still fully convinced that the devs are not to blame for the state of the game but the execs at EA.
From what I hear, Frostbite is slow for iteration, and that would be the devs fault. It's also a union studio, which likely means restrictions on hours, guaranteed long summer vacations, etc. That's great for the devs QoL, but it does mean gamers are likely to get less content as a result. The execs do seem to have done a poor job ensuring the studio is adequately set up for the scale and frequency of the products EA wants from them.

Spartancarver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Source for the Twitter stuff?

The project manager(s) at DICE or EA who decided to put resources into more single player story campaign missions and a completely half-assed co op horde mode that literally nobody asked for are to blame.

Completely mind-boggling decisions considering how content-starved and buggy the multiplayer (AKA the meat of the Battlefield experience) is

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
There are a load of new assignments with CC rewards. I don't want to be too negative, but they vary from unexciting to horrible. They have to get away from these assignments that ask people to do things in a life or a round. More people playing in counterproductive ways is the last thing the game needs.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
There are a load of new assignments with CC rewards. I don't want to be too negative, but they vary from unexciting to horrible. They have to get away from these assignments that ask people to do things in a life or a round. More people playing in counterproductive ways is the last thing the game needs.
Woah, so we can collect more CC so we can buy more stuff? Now we just need the stuff!

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
I love the potential, but it's ruined with bad teammates. I have yet to play a match as attackers on day 2 where my teammates don't sit back with the tanks. It's impossible to get any movement on the A flag when this happens.

I got so frustrated the other day that I started blowing up the tank resupply. It was actually some of the most fun I've had in this game. Who knew you could kill teammates by blowing up your own mines.
I usually spawn in as medic and throw smokes so they move. Doesn't always work but it feels good, man.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
They apparently aren't even suppose to be there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/av0od0/did_they_just_add_new_assignments/ehcgmfa/

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not right.

Service is a selling point, it is a constant added value being pumped into the game:
• More players will be playing the game, the community is going to grow (or diminish at a much slower rate)
• More players buying the game as a result of the new content/improvements
• More players recommending the game as a result of new content
• More players will likely buy the next game based on the value delivered in the previous one
• More players will use the platform (Anthem/Apex/Games advertisement every launch)
• Positive PR

EA is definitely interested in the direct revenue from microtransactions, it is a primary force behind their business decisions, but there is a lot of indirect value from supporting the game right.

every game service is built upon using macro transaction as the primary way of making money . You don't make money from giving away free content for games that have gone a discount.

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
Still amazes me that people neglect the armored cars after all this time. I got so many killing sprees and game-winning plants with the thing on Hannut already and nobody seems to copy it.

It's especially funny if half of the team spawns and leaves the car in quick succession, making it look like you're driving a clown car.
Amazes me too. Especially for troop transport. Park it by or encircle a contested flag and let people use it as a spawn. Super helpful and it's fun.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Woah, so we can collect more CC so we can buy more stuff? Now we just need the stuff!

Right, right?!?! Wtf EA, first BFV, then Anthem, did you literally just look at Fornite and their rotating store and mandate the same across the board? I can't believe this generates more money, either withholding cosmetics that are done, or releasing games without cosmetics done, rather than just waiting for shit to be done then releasing it. Ugh, if they fail earnings, good riddance, they need a damn lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.