• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
b0qw7fudnv421.jpg

Hello Battlefield Community,
We've committed to giving you an update this week around Battlefield V's TTK (Time To Kill) adjustments, as seen in last Friday's letter to the community. After rolling out those changes last week, we've listened to your feedback, reviewed our statistical data, and have made the decision to return to the original TTK values seen at launch.
Our intent with the TTK changes was to see if we could evolve the Battlefield V experience and make it more enjoyable for new players, whilst also making sure the Battlefield vets have a choice with a more "core" experience suiting their preferred play-style. Clearly we didn't get it right. Veteran players didn't ask for the change, but as game developers, we took it upon ourselves to make those changes based on extensive data and deliberation. It truthfully wasn't an easy decision for us.
It's important to acknowledge that we have a challenge bringing new players into Battlefield V and onboard them to become more experienced Battlefield players. It's been a challenge across our games for a long time, as many will know, and becomes even more important for us to improve upon our post-launch experience with consistent updates to the game through the Tides of War. Our desire to service a game that caters to old and new players will continue. How we get it right isn't easy, nor will it be quick, and we appreciate when the community comes together and helps us on this journey.
We have learned a lot over the past week. We've gained clarity on the issues you've shared with us around Time To Death (TTD), we've identified imbalances in weapons, and have recorded real-world data on how TTK changes our game and impactS our players. With that knowledge we have a better idea of how to improve the game going forward, and have already begun taking steps to improve the experience for all our players, new and veteran.
Starting tomorrow, December 18th at 4am PT / 7am ET / 1p CET, we will revert the TTK changes to their original launch states, we will remove the "Conquest Core" playlist, and we will not introduce any new "Core" playlists as mentioned in last week's letter. This will be a server-side update and does not require a client download. We'll continue to identify how we can improve the Battlefield V experience and will have more information for you around those changes starting in the new year.
Thank you for your feedback and patience. We're excited to be on this journey with you.
- The Battlefield Team

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefiel...efield_v_letter_to_the_community_ttk_changes/

Oct 25, 2017
Good God this game is messy.

Is there a reason Dice is on a 1 AAA game per year cycle right now? Seems absolutely fucked.

(unless I'm wrong about that and Dice is bigger than I think?)

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand why they did this on the "live version" of the game.

Why not have a test server like countless other games (Rainbow Six, PUBG etc) where you can see what these changes will do before you push them on the community.

BF4 had this. Its crazy that they dont have it in place for BFV.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't want my post to seem like a drive by, but LMFAO! This situation has become very comical.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If only they could see that it's their reputation and the shitty way they release games that is preventing new players from wanting to play, not ttk.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
As I said before DICE has ZERO conviction with any of their decisions related to BFV. Legitimately don't know what they are doing, I'm not sure they do either.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a bummer that this mess is dragging down a game that is otherwise very good imo. No idea what DICE/EA management is doing.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me that the right choice would have been to create a rookie playlist with a longer ttk, rather than create the playlist for the core players ...

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Honestly, typical nerd drama aside I actually kind of like this whole situation. Battlefield DOES have a problem retaining new players and the series has subsisted on series vets since...maybe Battlefield 3? It benefits not only DICE but also Battlefield players to see growth in the community.

With that in mind I don't mind them trying new changes like this, and they were clear from the onset that it was not necessarily set in stone and that they were seeing how it worked. It would have been impossible to use a test server for this since the entire change was aimed towards smoothing the experience for the non-hardcore crowd (aka not the type who would test things on a PC server to begin with).

When it was clear the drawbacks were too large, they reverted the changes. All in all it took...a week? Maybe a bit more. Maybe I'm weird but I think the whole situation is a net positive for most.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
JackFrags got em shook.
Unfortunate this is happening cause it can be a very fun game.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Good. The gameplay was great before. Hopefully now they can focus on cleaning up the actual issues with the game.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
What a mess indeed.

That being said this is the response most of the community was hoping for, so that's good news.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I'll be buying the game down the line but my god Dice have bumbled all through this games first month.

Really seems like they're flying blind. But at least they've got this particular incident correct.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I actually only noticed the TTK change after it was pointed out by JackFrags. It wasn't really impacting my play a ton. I think the TTD is more problematic.

I'm having a ton of fun with BFV, more fun than I had with BF1, for sure. The rollout has been a little all over the place and there are things about UX that I loathe (why is load out management and customization so cumbersome in this game?) but the core game is fun AF. I'm ready for new maps though. I feel like I get the same four all the time.

I also think the hyperbole around the game is ridiculous. BFV is not a mess, BF4 was a mess. This game has worked since Day 1—how long did it take BF4 to get to proper form?

dred

Oct 27, 2017
They made a mistake and they're fixing it. Good deal. If they turn their focus towards other more prominent issues the game will be in great shape. It's been a crazy ride but BF5 is a great game overall and it has restored my faith in DICE.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't feel all that different to me tbh and I play as medic with stupid SMGs all the time.

I guess it's good that people will stop bitching and they won't be splitting up the playerbase

Oct 25, 2017
You want to know why I dropped off this game? I would say I am a very casual BF player.

1. Bloat: This whole game feels bloated. The main menu feels bloated. Quitting a match takes forever. Can't change my character while in the game. What I have is what I have. Nothing about this game feels snappy.

2. Weapons: Doesn't feel like there is a lot of them. I came to this game straight from BF4. The weapon selection/attachments in this game feels like a 10x regression.

3. Vehicles: It never feels like I can get a tank. I got a tank once. Why do I have to sit on the spawn screen waiting for a rare vehicle spawn? Vehicles in general seem rare. Doesn't feel like a "Battlefield" game. Feels like a bunch of big COD maps.

4. Maps: Are these maps made for conquest? I honestly don't know. Because it doesn't feel like I can explore the map and cap points. The cap points feel like they go in a line. Everything just feels very small.

Oct 27, 2017
Good, I'm really enjoying it, even enjoyed it with the new TTK but I rather have the old TTK back.

Best Battlefield since BC2 imo, shame that all the stuff around the game is taking the spotlight when the game is so good.

Dunfisch

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, I'll say it again - the real issue here wasn't quite so much TTK / TTD purely by numbers, but the way the netcode works, as far as I can tell. Bear with me for a second and let me hope I'm not completely wrong here.

The game (and server) decides actions by global input order, which is why I've so often very clearly pulled the trigger, or hit detonate on TNT or anything else on my screen, but wouldn't have it happen because the server decision that I am dead comes way sooner than I can see it on my screen. We're talking only fractions of a second here, but it's why you always died so quickly or never had the chance to retaliate. There's a dissonance between what's happening behind the scenes versus what you see on your screen. Increasing the players life is only a stopgap measure which cannot fix the inherent issue here.

Shame though, this means I'll just die from somewhere offscreen before I ever get the chance to retaliate. Again.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank God. From shitty game to the best this year has to offer in a single server side update.

Oct 27, 2017
So they have the data,
Isn't that what they just did?

Not necessarily. They have the data and they still believe the data is sound, but seem to be saying that this isn't going to be the most appropriate solution going forward.

The game definitely needs it's skilled players, but I'd think that in order to attract and retain new players, the game needs to give them early wins and longer TTK, etc. so that their introductory hours don't resemble a series of very short gameplay loops with no game-positive stats accumulated.

And as someone else noted, if the game's stats are too heavily influenced by network factors, that will only serve to frustrate everyone.

I hope for the best for them in figuring all this out.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hallelujah.

I haven't been enjoying the game at all since they changed it. Thank god they listened to the community and reverted it. It would have sucked if they left it like that over the holidays. Now I might actually play again!

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Thank fully they went this way and not spliting the community with a set of core playlists.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol so they fixed it and reverted the changes and some people still arent happy. What a mess? really? How about thank you?

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, typical nerd drama aside I actually kind of like this whole situation. Battlefield DOES have a problem retaining new players and the series has subsisted on series vets since...maybe Battlefield 3? It benefits not only DICE but also Battlefield players to see growth in the community.

With that in mind I don't mind them trying new changes like this, and they were clear from the onset that it was not necessarily set in stone and that they were seeing how it worked. It would have been impossible to use a test server for this since the entire change was aimed towards smoothing the experience for the non-hardcore crowd (aka not the type who would test things on a PC server to begin with).

When it was clear the drawbacks were too large, they reverted the changes. All in all it took...a week? Maybe a bit more. Maybe I'm weird but I think the whole situation is a net positive for most.
Yeah, it never really seemed like something to get super upset over, and if their goal was player retention, I'm not opposed to messing with things a bit to get to that point (and I personally don't think the changes felt as drastic as people made them out to be). I'm still maining a Medic, and had no issues over the past few days with the TTK change (even had possibly my best game since launch last night).

Regardless, I'm probably not the best judge on it, as the entire reason I enjoy something like the Battlefield series over the CoD games is because of the overall longer TTK/TTD, so increasing that didn't seem like some mortal sin (although I was fine with it pre-patch). Also, since I'm on PC, I'm wondering if the TTK changes had a larger impact on console where it's not as easy to keep a bead on somebody? I could definitely see not being able to track somebody quickly causing bigger issues and being super magnified by the changes they made. I do think the TTD needs to be increased somehow though. With the TTK changes, I never felt like I was able to live noticeably longer, but I think adjusting that without tipping the balance in other ways is a much larger issue than just decreasing the amount of damage from bullets. Still enjoying the game a ton 60+ hours in though.