• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Are you not waiting for it to fill or are you pressing "play now"?

Wait for it to fill.

The game just pushes you regardless. You can wait, but the game will decide on its own after 2-3 mins. IT IS BROKEN!

edit: Perhaps there is an explanation: other players click as duo/trio, and then the matchmaking has to drag someone else to fill the 64 slots. Either way, not playing social until it is fixed.

Last edited:

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
It looks amazing, that's a first in the Battle Royale scene.
I'm almost WT4 in The Division 2 so while waiting for the next update I'll try it out! I don't see myself playing exclusively this game mode though, not sure the content variety is enough to keep me playing for weeks.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Posted this in the other thread, but I shall say it here too.

They need to have people drop all their gear into a backpack and we can look into said backpack and pick what we need and want. having all their gear drop on death on top of each other leads to you swaping weapons by accident.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Posted this in the other thread, but I shall say it here too.

They need to have people drop all their gear into a backpack and we can look into said backpack and pick what we need and want. having all their gear drop on death on top of each other leads to you swaping weapons by accident.

yep. I was trying to revive a squad mate and their dropped gear got in the way of me reviving him.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Finally played this morning.

Got one solo match in and got 3rd with 3 kills.

Man the ammo management sucks. I fumbled forever trying to get ammo for one gun to think be told my inventory was full then I couldn't figure out how to drop ammo. Then figuring out the type I needed isn't really easy.

Coming over from Apex we're it's really easy to do all of this, it's a step back.

I'll need more time with it but I can already say inventory needs a total overhaul.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just had PS4 solo matchmaking fail on me 4 times due to not finding enough players.

I guess that's that...

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Playing with a friend and its just putting us as a duo in squads... No other teammates is that normal? Lol

was mostly getting the same last night, think we got a teammate once or twice when we first started playing, but then we would wait 2-4 minutes, and would never get a teammate, so we would just play as a duo. kinda lame.

Also how do you use items in your inventory, on PS4, I hit down on the dpad, scroll over to my item, and I can either swap it with X, or drop it with Square. Pulling the trigger fires my gun, and no other button does anything that I recall, clicking the sticks does nothing etc.

I did customizing my controls right off the bat, and noticed the issue, then iu reverted my controls back to default and I still couldn't find any button to activate items.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Played this for a few hours and even got a win. I think it's a great first attempt overall but there are some issues:

-the inventory system is pretty bad. Navigating through it is cumbersome and I don't like how it's always on the screen.

-I don't like how the items dropped by dead soldiers are loose and scattered on the ground. In PUBG, I'm able to hover over an area and quickly scroll through everything in the inventory menu. In GF, I'm forced to specifically look at an item to interact with it. On top of this, I thought I lost a good weapon because it clipped into the ground after accidentally swapping it out when I was trying to pick up ammo. Again, very cumbersome and I would prefer dead soldiers leaving behind a crate or box.

-not a fan of the aim assist. Should be heavily scaled back or removed for BR mode.

-it's a tad disappointing that a series known for pioneering larger player counts is now one of the smaller BR games out there.

My ideal update for this mode could be a hardcore BR mode. No aim assist, 100 players, start with the whole map open, reworked inventory system, Dead enemies drop a box, and give me the ability to customize my weapons with attachments.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
They add insult to injury with the accidental weapon swaps by forcing you to reload the gun too lol

Anyways, they said looting/inventory fixes are coming ASAP, but I dont know when that is or why they couldn't have done this before the game launched. It's really sad that it is leaving a miserable impression because the gameplay is really fun

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
i dislike how there is little to no feedback when you are getting shot. It's downright bizarre in comparison to the other modes.

You get the little blue icon to signify your armor being shredded but that's it and then you are dead. I actually thought maybe the game was bugged with how bad it feels.

Played a fair bit yesterday and it is FUN but the more we went on the more the flaws and weirdo design choices started to show and compound.

I also really hate (and have since launch) the menus and the matchmaking and just in general how everything takes longer than it should. This gets extra annoying in a BR game when sometimes you're dead way too quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
that's the best part of Apex though.

No, he means that because you can shoot when downed, you aren't out of action until they finish you off. Therefore, there's no true 'downed' or 'disabled state'.

In Apex, decent players will not 'thirst' or execute a downed player, because they die automatically if they kill the whole team, and your focus should always be on the other, active targets if you want to win the overall gunfight.

On Battlefield V, the downed player remains an active target until thirsted, therefore, you always get eliminated.

In my opinion, it's bad design and a fundamental misunderstanding of the battle royale genre. If you're playing squads you want to be alive with your squad at the end of your game. Ideally, the end should often be an 4 vs 4 with relatively fully kitted squads, leading to a huge showdown, not 1 guy who lost his team mates to thirsting dragging his ass to the final circle then hiding till someone mops him up. Apex accommodates a better experience with knockdown shields and respawns, Dice push in the other direction by providing an incentive to eliminate someone from the game.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
No, he means that because you can shoot when downed, you aren't out of action until they finish you off. Therefore, there's no true 'downed' or 'disabled state'.

In Apex, decent players will not 'thirst' or execute a downed player, because they die automatically if they kill the whole team, and your focus should always be on the other, active targets if you want to win the overall gunfight.

On Battlefield V, the downed player remains an active target until thirsted, therefore, you always get eliminated.

In my opinion, it's bad design and a fundamental misunderstanding of the battle royale genre. If you're playing squads you want to be alive with your squad at the end of your game. Ideally, the end should often be an 4 vs 4 with relatively fully kitted squads, leading to a huge showdown, not 1 guy who lost his team mates to thirsting dragging his ass to the final circle then hiding till someone mops him up. Apex accommodates a better experience with knockdown shields and respawns, Dice push in the other direction by providing an incentive to eliminate someone from the game.
Oh ok I get it
That blows

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else getting a deploy bug and immediately getting kicked once the game starts? It won't even let me choose my character.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not normally a BR person but had a few rounds and it was fun. Agree with many who have UI and loot issues. They need to sort that. Too much time looking at piles of random items. The should highlight ammo for you currently equipped guns, not just letting you horde everything. Also having stuff sink in the ground is super annoying.

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed 100%

With how heavily the game incentives killing, the complete lack of a respawn mechanic makes playing with friends an absolute chore at times. Nothing sucks more than being taken out in the first three minutes of a game and having to twiddle your thumbs as your friends spend another 10 minutes or so enjoying the game.

That or everyone suicides so you can all play together again, niether of which is fun

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just got my first win while in a squad of three (friends on discord) - they had both died and I was the last player standing along with one enemy player.

(Shadowplay recorded with my shitty mic, so my audio doesn't sound great).

In terms of my background with BRs, I played a few matches of Apex and then a few matches of Firestorm so still super new to the genre. Each match does feel very different to each other though and the vehicles seem to change things up a ton too. Overall, I'd say its one of my favourite 'competitive' experiences I've had in a while - but for now I think I'll go back to playing Sekiro (3rd playthrough) and replaying Single Player games like I usually do.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
The bleed out time is far too fast on this. Seem to bleed out before the fight has even finished with my squad mates

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
so how do you use items in your inventory on ps4?

I press down to access my inventory, go over to te item, and it says all I can do is swap it with x or drop with square. Every other button does nothing.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017

Shroud's impressions for anyone interested. He talks about the game at the marked time and goes on for a few minutes on and off about it.

It hurts to hear this game get panned, but how do you play this game in testing and not realize how obviously bad the looting is. what else does he complain about?

I hope they can still make this F2P after they fix the dire issues just to ensure its survival. I really think there's a better place for BF, COD, Apex, and Fortnite on consoles... but it's clear BF will get edged out.

It feels as if Activision on the other hand is far more invested in BR, as it's possible we see Blackout spun off when the next COD comes (since it has no BR). Meanwhile, BF's mode feels like it's meant to just be a tick mark. Which I hope isnt the case, because no other game does vehicles and destruction, and IMO it adds a lot to the experience. Criterion did a great job.

Completely agree, respawn mechanics spoiled me. It's too good not to have and balances the annoying thirsting. Apex also had shields which helps with that though. Everything about Apex gives you opportunity after opportunity to win and play as a squad.

Also, why is it so hard to borrow blatantly superior features like pinging, jumpmaster, etc. Pinging needs to be more obvious, and a jump master wouldve been nice for squads, because why not? This game has a built in commo rose and text chat prompts, but neither are used for this mode specifically.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I played a few rounds today. First time I've ever tried anything like it, and didn't know what I was doing. Despite that I got to seventh place in the first match. Dunno if I like it or not and it seems kinda pointless, unless you get something really great for coming in first?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I must have done 10 matches of Firestorm and I still haven't played a match where the flow of the gameplay is fun.

It's too slow for death to come that quickly. You wait in the lobby then spend minutes picking up equipment for firefight that come down to who caught who at a weird angle.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying this a lot.

It's basically a less janky pubg which is all I really wanted. Hope it keeps enough players that EA can justify ongoing additions/improvements

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite enjoying it other than the loot on the ground being very confusing. It should be a press and hold button action to swap a weapon. I keep swapping weapons without even realizing it.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Is this ... doing well? I haven't heard anyone talk about it outside of this thread, which doesn't feel too active.

Judging by the Twitch viewership less than 24 hours after release, and general impressions from around the web, it shows promise but isn't setting the world on fire. It seems like it could have been better received in a pre-Apex world, but that game as streamlined so many issues that were previously inherent to BR. And is free.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the Twitch viewership less than 24 hours after release, and general impressions from around the web, it shows promise but isn't setting the world on fire. It seems like it could have been better received in a pre-Apex world, but that game as streamlined so many issues that were previously inherent to BR. And is free.

I don't think this game really needs to take much from apex other than voiced pings.

Edit: and jumpmaster. Although on PC I haven't had a big problem with people splitting off

Last edited:

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so how do you use items in your inventory on ps4?

I press down to access my inventory, go over to te item, and it says all I can do is swap it with x or drop with square. Every other button does nothing.

Swapping is actually what you want to do there, I think (only played a handful of games so forgive me if I'm wrong). Obviously dropping is for stuff you don't want/wish to share with your squad...

Your inventory seems to be filled on a first come, first serve basis. So while heals are on (d-pad) up, gadgets and stuff are mapped to left/right as you scoop them, then the rest fills up.

For example, say you pick up and then have armor on left, grenade launcher on right, plus an artillery strike or something down in your bag of tricks. If you want to actually use that artillery strike you hit (d-pad) down to bring up the inventory, right stick down to the strike, select it, then right stick back up to a thing you don't need right now (let's say the grenade launcher) and swap. Now the artillery strike is mapped to right and the grenade launcher is stored.

Winding down, can't help but feel I could have explained that better. Hmm...

tl:dr: swap stuff around and map it to the d-pad as needed:
L2 aims
R2 Shoots
L1 Throws Grenades
R1 Pings
D-Pad Up Heals
A bunch of shit can be assigned to D-Pad left and right as needed by swapping from your inventory
D-Pad Down brings up that inventory

It's weird. Battlefield is pretty simple and awesome at its core. That's why people love it year after year despite all the bitching, glitching, and also things that don't work, yet also don't end in -ing. The one omnipresent knock is that it's just not welcoming to newcomers. So here's a big influx of new players met by, "here, try some of this shit."

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
I like it.

I actually prefer it to apex but that's because I prefer the slower approach as I am not a fan of CoD/Titanfall.

All the issues so far with Firestorm can be fixed easy enough the inventory and looting. I also hope they stick in 100 as the map does feel kind of too big for 64.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I like it.

I actually prefer it to apex but that's because I prefer the slower approach as I am not a fan of CoD/Titanfall.

All the issues so far with Firestorm can be fixed easy enough the inventory and looting. I also hope they stick in 100 as the map does feel kind of too big for 64.

Agreed. I also like it more than Apex.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I thought I'd love this but I played about 5 matches last night and didn't enjoy myself that much in solo or squad.
Dunno what it is but it wasn't great between long ass matchmaking, awful inventory/UI and managing ammo.

I definitely need to play more especially with a buddy of mine who has the game but I went back to conquest lol

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Was okay at first, but the more I play, the more I'm finding the metagame of gunplay more and more frustrating.

Here's the problem;
Apex Legends succeeds because encounters are built around mobility and accuracy. The thrill comes from mastering player momentum and motion, outsmarting the opposition with your athletic dance, using your abilities in synchronisation with yoru team, while also mastering accuracy. It's fast and flashy.
PUBG succeeds because encounters are built around positioning and ballistic control. Damage ratios are so high and weapons modelled after semi-realistic ballistic and function properties and there's a military sim-lite quality to the game. Weapons feel powerful and deadly, and every slow movement counts.

Firestorm is neither of these things. It's a poor middleground. Weapons are deadly...but contextually, because enormous armour and health offset the damage they do. This massively skewers the weapon balance with some largely superior to others only because the opposition has a fucking ton of armour, not because guns feel deadly or balanced or fair. Players are faster than PUBG, but only just, still lacking any real mobility to offset the squishy gunplay.

So you end up feeling remarkably unsatisfied with a lot of encounters. Caught someone up close, got the jump on them, with a high level SMG? Too bad, they have a shit ton of armour so lol. Headshots help a ton but it's still not enough.

In some ways it feels like that awful TTK upgrade they did before the rollback, where they buffed everyone. Only that and worse. BFV's gunplay (mostly) works well because the damage ratios are so high. Here it just feels like a sea of bullet sponging with a roll of the dice each encounter to see who can DPS the other player faster before one of you runs out of ammo, regardless of the guns being used.