• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
I like the Tides of War stuff but no new maps is a bummer. I would have expected at least one in the next few months. I am thankful for the free game support but I guess games as a service just isn't as engaging or as substantial as season passes. Similarly I was dissapointed with how Battlefront 2 didn't get many updates for nearly a year.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things that bothered me the most about this game....it was the lack of hair options.

FFS the lady on the front cover has hair.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This game is a complete failure

Thanks for the kind words, I guess. Stuff like this really encourages participation in community discussions.

With the exception of the Christmas break, we've been releasing updates every 2 weeks or so, each one bringing something for someone. Some things take less time, others take more time. We're working on multiple updates at the same time. Some things have been announced, others haven't. More things are coming.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for renting servers, hardcore mode, and a fix for calling in the v1 rocket on the consoles.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words, I guess. Stuff like this really encourages participation in community discussions.

With the exception of the Christmas break, we've been releasing updates every 2 weeks or so, each one bringing something for someone. Some things take less time, others take more time. We're working on multiple updates at the same time. Some things have been announced, others haven't. More things are coming.

Looking forward to this update and the others, but I'm just curious does DICE plan on tweaking any player visibility changes or do you feel visibility changes are unlikely going forward?

Also for everyone else in this thread/forum is it my settings that are messed up or do some maps feel excessively bright, like the snow ones?

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao. And if they add Wake Island people will complain they are lazy and only added a remake. Also this is explained alot already. The game works with chapters and the first chapter is fall of europe.
At the current pace and with them trying to go kind of in a chronological order, it might take till mid 2020 before we have something like 2 pacific theater map.

They could surprise us with bigger release in the future thought, like when they release new factions, if they come with say something like 3 map ( russian faction ) then 3 map ( japan/usa pacific theater ). But since they give zero visibility that far in the future it does not make it easily to be that optimistic about the future. Neither does this patch content, I mean you said yourself that you expected to see combined arms this week, only to see it's actually 3 weeks away, at best.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Rush wasn't in the base release? It feels like every BF game has Rush as a new mode after a few months. I'm always surprised It's just never in the base game of any of them.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually excited for the 4-player PvE missions. That should be fun. Also, the Firestorm tease was neat and fairly unexpected.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They seriously fucked up with this game right? I would buy at if it wasnt half product, shame i wont be playing ww2 again :/
To be honest, I think it's pretty fantastic. While it's launched with less content than past iterations, and that is a valid criticism, with it's roadmap and release model, all future content releases without a a cost to the player and there are other advantages here. Content likely won't die off like in past Battlefield games where it became difficult to find matches for certain expansions, and they can release new content faster instead of waiting for several maps to roll out at once meaning we'll see updates more often.

Currently there are 9 maps (I believe Battlefield 4 launched with 10 and One with 9), and the new Grand Operations mode does make some of those maps a bit more dynamic. 4 single player campaigns each with 3 missions, and with what's to come I think it's a good value. I do also love the game going back to focusing on squad play and having more limited resources for the player making support classes more important. It feels like it captures the Battlefield spirit more than the past few entries, at least to me it does. It's on it's way to be my favourite entry since 1942, though to be fair I didn't play a lot of One.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
No M1 Garand, M4 Sherman, and Hardcore Mode......
I'm having trouble even imagining what a hardcore mode would be like. BFV is already hardcore mode.

All I want now is skill based, indirect fire weapons. I don't really want to see the point and click mortars come back but the game should have something to break a stalemate. Especially now that Rush is coming.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
So what'll happen with the previous Tides of War chapters? Will you be able to go back and unlock previous stuff?

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017

To provide some (what I hope is) actually constructive criticism:

- the ongoing, and seemingly widespread, issue where assignments aren't being tracked intermittently has really deflated a lot of the excitement surrounding the chapters; and
- even when they are tracked, the value of the weapon rewards is hard to determine given the specializations system (i.e. it's hard to compare a prospective weapon, or even owned weapon that has not been upgraded, to your current stable of fully upgraded weapons), may I suggest a UI element that highlights the "max potential" stats?; and
- how the stats influence performance is still a bit opaque (e.g. what does the "accuracy" stat impact for bolt-actions if the first bullet is intended to hit on target less drop?)

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Eh, I love the game. I know it has issues, but I've been addicted to the gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Put the TTK back to launch TTK
They already did that a week or so ago, all servers and game modes are back to launch TTK.

I am just disappointed that this game didn't get a season pass so I could actually get more maps. I knew the second they said they got rid of it we would get so many less maps. I'll be surprised if we get 4-5 maps throughout the year because of that. Bf5 is a great game but marred so much by EA and DICEs decisions on how to launch and market the game.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it when companies began announcing that "all content free for everyone" would result in all these games being super light in meaningful content. I remember being irritated about season passes and DLC when they first began, but I'll gladly go back to paying for content that I know will arrive eventually.

This game will never get anywhere near the usual 10-16 maps that a season pass guarantees. Microtransactions covering the cost is just a cheap way to hide behind wanting to maximize profits while delivering even less, but making it seem like you're still on our side.

I want you (DICE) to succeed, I've been a fan of DICE games and Battlefield since the get-go. Don't let these terrible decisions drive your games into the ground.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
How does squad conquest and rush work? Is it 4v4? Could they do smaller 4v4s on the same map and it dynamically changes borders and gets bigger based on winners?

Oct 27, 2017

I find the content of the update appropriate, provided you can keep it that way every 2 weeks.

One thing I've always wanted to ask, how much content is already accounted for by EA? Are there already fixed, immovable plans for DICE to realize the ToW until it's logical conclusion a few years down the line or is there a chance EA pulls the rug under the game like they obviously did with Battlefront 2? The game may be in a slump now but if it's actually supported appropriately like Ubisoft does with R6 Siege for example, it could become the best entry in the series.

I think that's the main concern everyone wanting to invest in the game has right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up last week. Having a ton of fun with it. My only complaint is the lack of meaningful (probably not the best word) content. I am comparing this to BF4, the last one I spent significant time with. I remember there being multiple map package announced on a timeline and what seemed like many more weapons... Yesterday I was pumped to look at upcoming content, and was really disappointed with the strategy around their incoming updates. I am probably in the minority but I think I'd be fine with a season pass and/or not BR if that means we got content like previous battlefields.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Have you played it?

Decent updates to be fair but I'm not buying the game till next BF sale so the limited mode updates are no good to m3

Yes i have played it.. No offcourse not. But its not weird to think a BR mode is something different then the usual BF experience wich is contant action with 64 player close to each other.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I find the content of the update appropriate, provided you can keep it that way every 2 weeks.

One thing I've always wanted to ask, how much content is already accounted for by EA? Are there already fixed, immovable plans for DICE to realize the ToW until it's logical conclusion a few years down the line or is there a chance EA pulls the rug under the game like they obviously did with Battlefront 2? The game may be in a slump now but if it's actually supported appropriately like Ubisoft does with R6 Siege for example, it could become the best entry in the series.

I think that's the main concern everyone wanting to invest in the game has right now.
I think they're back in on on Battlefront 2 though. I Iake that to mean that there won't be a Battlefront 3 for a couple more years.

I can see there not being another Battlefield game for a few years either, just updates to V.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
What? Battlefield V mechanic wise feels a lot more refined than BF1. It's a harder game to master, and the removal of 3d spotting is a blessing (it still is here, but it requieres special equipment to make it appear).
I've played Battlefield since 1942, so I know what I'm talking about.
Yes, servers feel weird, but once they are ironed out, BF V will easily be one of the best Battlefields ever.

Edit: forgot to mention, medic weapons need a buff.
It feels much older because it's far more restrictive. Medics are limited to one type of weapon. Only one class can use smoke grenades. Squad sizes are reduced so you can't play with as many friends. The revive mechanic is really aggravating. Etc

The removal of 3D spotting is effectively a reduction in communication with your team. The pointer that replaced it is almost useless and lasts for a blink of an eye.

Last edited: