• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
One of the big differences between current Battlefield and Bad Company is the visuals. Current Battlefield is hyper realistic with foliage so dense they had to turn sniper rifles into flashlights to not be overpowered. Bad Company had a cartoony realistic art style in which that was not necessary and everything was always clear with easy to see enemies. I like modern Battlefield but I really miss that.
Yea from and post BF3 (which was last gen like BC2 ofc) DICE started going for a hyper stylised visual with saturated lighting and tons of post process effect. I've always really disliked that and never understood why they went for such a look that constantly obscures your vision.

BFBC2 just had very clear and contrasting visuals. It was basically the last time we had that and after that BF games started to have this overly blue tone with crushed whites and blacks, tons of lens effects. It honestly makes the game look far busier than it is.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
The Bad Company games were fantastic products of their time, but I feel a new one wouldn't be as well received in this day and age.

It was far too limited in scope compared to even BF1 and BFV, which themselves felt a departure from the ultimate sandbox in BF2, BF3, BF4.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I loved both games. One of the best MP experiences I had.
And the campaign of the first one blew my mind by its openess and destruction.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Just remake BF2 thats all thats needed. DICE have killed their own franchise by chopping the shit out of it. So many useful community features in the bin over greed.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
I keep hoping/waiting for a 3rd chapter to Bad Company it was fun campaign and pretty good multiplayer.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree. While I would welcome a BC3 as another one-off, Battlefield needs to stay true to what it started as- a large scale online multiplayer fps where vehicles are just as important as the ground game.

Large scale conquest is still the best thing about battlefield. Its the only mode I play in ever BF.

BF V should have been a continuation of BF1. BF1 was phenomenal for is atmosphere and style, it represented WW1 in a grim and immersive way. BF V feels absolutely nothing like a WW2 game. If they just continued the BF1 formula and made it WW2 it would have been amazing.

The series has also focused more and more on ground combat and the fps experience with each iteration, which has put ground vehicle and air combat on the back burner. They used to be like equal slices of the pie, but now they seem like an afterthought. BF has frankly become more and more like a COD game, losing what sets is apart from other fps games.

BF V honestly is a huge misstep. They need to basically take nothing from that game into the next game. They need to go back to the BF3/4 formula. I would rather them focus on that than doing another BC game right now.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Bad Company 2 is the last Battlefield I loved, 3 was the last I bought.

I don't think they really even know what made the BC-line so great. :/

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they make a 3-4 person co-op campaign. I really need something to play with my friends besides Breakpoint and The Division 2.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would love way smaller maps with way more destruction. All these mega huge maps with pointless and lengthy running cycles.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
I think Dice releasing another BC game would be helpful for the mainline series. Some sort of alternating between mainline Battlefield and BC games would allow for the mainline games to stay truer to their roots, reduce fatigue for players who don't want to keep buying another battlefield too often, cater to the fans who loved the BC2 multiplayer and allow for more time for development between sequels of each of the two series.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
What, in your opinion, did BC2 lack that you think BF needs more of? Because I too have been playing since 1942, and I enjoyed the hell out of Bad Company 2 on PC.
BC2 was a fine game by itself. I mean, it did have some wonky design choices, oversights, and balance problems, but what BF doesn't. My hangup with BC2 is basically two-fold:

First, it's just about as antithetical to Battlefield as you can get without becoming COD or <insert serious business small-scale esports shooter here>. What makes BF special, what makes it stand out and what made it such a joy despite being mechanically behind the curve for so many years, is the premise of the combat sandbox. Big, open-ended maps, lots of players, lots of tools, and lots of ways to play, which also meant the ability to dictate your own tempo/pacing. BC2 took that formula and cut it way down, becoming a smaller-scale game about funneling people down down linear map chunks where everyone collided on tiny objectives. It became less about freedom and creativity and more about the meatgrinder. It's the kind of 'streamlining' that I don't like.

The other angle of this is that, release-wise, BC overlaps with BF, or is at least likely to. I want BC2 fans to have BC3. What I don't want is for BC3 to come out at the expense of a mainline BF title. If DICE could manage to work on both simultaneously, that would be the dream. Everyone wins. Though given how much of a little strugglebear DICE has become, I'm not convinced they can nail either BF *or* BC right now, let alone manage to juggle both. :(

Jun 1, 2019
I would love a Bad Company sequel, BC2 is still incredibly fun to play and it hits the mark in ways that most other shooters can't ( the mainline Battlefield series included imo). The destruction in BC2 truly felt transformative; being able to raze whole sections of a map to the ground left such a visual impression, and it made gameplay feel very dynamic seeing as how you had to constantly change your approach depending on how much cover was left. The pacing was perfect, weapons felt great, vehicles were effective but also weren't a complete pain to deal with, and the design of the maps basically forced teams to push up and attack the objective together, so players actually worked together as a team most times. There is no other shooter on the market that offers an experience that's like BC2, so I think it would be a perfect time to announce a sequel.

Nov 11, 2017
Have to disagree.

They should go back to the 1942/2 formula- more chaos and not spawning into vehicles. For them to away from open world silliness as games like Pub g and Fortnite take over was really stupid.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Modern Warfare is back, so I'm hoping Bad Company follows suits. Or any kind of modern Battlefield game, really. BF4 was the last time I loved the series (after it was patched).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield needs a shakeup, and Bad Company 3 needs to be a thing, but mainline Battlefield becoming Bad Company and eroding Conquest Large would result in the loss of its core identity and cause me even further apathy towards the franchise.

Ideally, Bad Company 3 needs to be a focus (if DICE can pull it off at all), while Battlefield 6 is given a lot of time to cook.

Campaign across both sides of the series would definitely benefit from a Bad Company-like approach.
I agree with this.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
BC2 was a fine game by itself. I mean, it did have some wonky design choices, oversights, and balance problems, but what BF doesn't. My hangup with BC2 is basically two-fold:

First, it's just about as antithetical to Battlefield as you can get without becoming COD or <insert serious business small-scale esports shooter here>. What makes BF special, what makes it stand out and what made it such a joy despite being mechanically behind the curve for so many years, is the premise of the combat sandbox. Big, open-ended maps, lots of players, lots of tools, and lots of ways to play, which also meant the ability to dictate your own tempo/pacing. BC2 took that formula and cut it way down, becoming a smaller-scale game about funneling people down down linear map chunks where everyone collided on tiny objectives. It became less about freedom and creativity and more about the meatgrinder. It's the kind of 'streamlining' that I don't like.

The other angle of this is that, release-wise, BC overlaps with BF, or is at least likely to. I want BC2 fans to have BC3. What I don't want is for BC3 to come out at the expense of a mainline BF title. If DICE could manage to work on both simultaneously, that would be the dream. Everyone wins. Though given how much of a little strugglebear DICE has become, I'm not convinced they can nail either BF *or* BC right now, let alone manage to juggle both. :(
There was still a LOT of sandbox play on plenty of BC2 maps though. I'll give you that not all the maps were conducive to the classic Battlefield "feel", but it was still there. Oasis, Arica, Panama, Heavy Metal, Atacama (linear but wide), Nelson Bay, Harvest Day, Laguna Presa to name most of the larger / more open ones. 48 player Conquest was very much a Battlefield experience on these maps, though not to 100% the scope and scale of what we had in 2/2142. Most of these maps still had MBTs, APCs, Technicals, Choppers and smaller vehicles to make for quite a fun and chaotic environment.

I will say this, BC2 rightly or wrongly gets derided for bringing about meatgrinder gameplay. But outside of 48 player Rush on a few maps, it wasn't THAT much of a meat-grinder game. It was more infantry focused to be sure, but that has always had a place in BF.

I feel it was really BF3 that cemented the meatgrinder gameplay in the series. DICE took the wrong lessons from experiments like "MEATro" in thinking that is what people wanted. In actuality, my guess is it was more a symptom of a long and complicated leveling up/unlocking system and an increase in stat-tracking that lead to people wanting to just grind for unlocks/pad stats.

But honestly, I'll agree, I don't know if DICE Sweden is up to the challenge these days.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You'll have to specify since neither Battlefield 1 or V seemed to have anything that I enjoyed in BC2

Referring moreso to BF3 and 4: broken spotting mechanics, automatic HP regeneration and unrestricted squad spawning lessening the need to stick together and play as a cohesive unit, unimpressive maps designed almost exclusively around symmetrical balance and generally favoring infantry players, and consolidated class design that led to jack-of-all-trades loadouts and reduced emphasis on coordinated squad tactics.

Many of these issues were still present in BF1 and V, but some of their biggest problems are of their own making, for example DICE deciding out of the blue to completely upend the ticket bleed system in BF1 and thereby ruin the Conquest experience.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt DICE would ever do Bad Company again because when they made those games, they probably saw them as very limited due to console hardware. It being smaller scale and linear was probably seen as flaws to one day outgrow instead of core elements of the game. At least, that's what it feels like, I'm sure there are people at DICE that love it.

Anyway, Battlefield needs a new developer, since DICE has had really bad decision making from the higher ups for a long while. The artists, musicians, animators, etc at DICE though, still amongst the best.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad Company was the low point for the series. DICE "losing sight of the big picture" with BF3 onwards was them attempting to return to their roots - exemplified by BF2 - yet failing because they brought too much baggage from the BC titles.
BF3 onwards was chasing CoD and abandoning BF gameplay. It had a couple good conquest maps but most were just meat grinders.

Pretty sure old BF fanbase mostly ditched the series since the series abandoned them since 3 onwards, look at BF5 damage changing complaints, players complaining damage model was made like classic BF games and wanted the CoD damage model which kills BF gameplay.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a pretty large group of Battlefield fans has been calling for this since before BF1. EA doesn't seem interested in it.

Also, to be honest.... I'm not sure I want current DICE/EA to make another Bad Company game. A lot of the key figures who were involved in those games have been gone for a long time.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
They can try, but im never trusting a DICE game. BFV is a headache. I have no idea what the devs are doing considering they lost all the goodwill of their BFV Pacific maps with the random TTK changes, and then reverted it back.

Apr 30, 2019
They should cut out all singleplayer content and focus all of their efforts on creating a newer beefier version of conquest, say with 256 players. They have the best sandbox out of any other AAA franchise for this type of massive multiplayer battle.
besides maybe Halo, but they'll forever ignore that potential
I've never played more than an hour of any BF campaign, so they should go for it.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree, I think the next game would benefit from a very clear and narrowed focus. This was a rocky gen for BF with some ups and downs, but I think DICE can bring it back in a big way next gen.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
while i love BC2 BF4 was superior in every possible way... well once they fixed it anyway and it should have been the way forward not bf1

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just expand on BF4. That was peak Battlefield for me. It was shaky at first, but the last DLC was peak Battlefield. GOAT.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Super fun, would have been great if more people played it. :)

I assume you worked on the game?

If it makes you feel any better, I got a ton of time in that game. Are the servers still active?

The maps were fantastic! And the SP was really fun (one of my fav shooter campaigns out there). Its funny but if it was released now, I wonder if people would be loving the episodic nature of it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I assume you worked on the game?

If it makes you feel any better, I got a ton of time in that game. Are the servers still active?

The maps were fantastic! And the SP was really fun (one of my fav shooter campaigns out there). Its funny but if it was released now, I wonder if people would be loving the episodic nature of it.

Only a couple of months on the DLCs. It was before my time. :)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't trust DICE any more than I can throw their studio space and that breaks my damn heart to have to say.

iiStryker

Sep 19, 2019
Bad Company 2 was my inaugural game into the BF franchise MP and the most fun Ive had in any BF MP.

BC1 has the best campaign in the franchise imo.
I loved how the campaign had a sense and a little self aware. Every "military" FPS doesn't have to be dark and brooding.

It's always puzzled me why EA and DICE chose to chase COD when they already had their own unique game that was brilliant by itself.

Chasing COD only diluted the things that made BFBC 1&2 so great.

Last edited:

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I gave up after BF1, did not buy BFV this other year. No BF game has given me this gem of an experience that BFBC2:Vietnam did way back when. This to me, is what DICE needs to do to get me back into the series.

TRAILER:
www.youtube.com

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam - Hill 137 Trailer (HD 720p)

Name: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - VietnamRelease Date: Winter 2010Platform(s): PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360Publisher(s): Electronic Arts

GAMEPLAY
www.youtube.com

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam Pure Gameplay

Intense ingame action on maps Hill 137 and Vantage Point from our expansion pack Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam

There was just so much going on, so much flanking and using the whole map to engage the player to the experience of a life time.

I have never known this multiplayer joy ever again. This was so epic!

Vietnam
www.youtube.com

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam Launch Trailer

Are you ready for a whole new war?

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0srD7H5HQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZb-49QTy-4 - ugg SO good

DICE, just rename BFBC2:Vietnam with today's graphics. That would be enough for me. Please k thanks!