• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Between the two options, which would you prefer?

• Modern day military

Votes: 86 52.8%
  • Far future 2143

Votes: 77 47.2%

• Total voters

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a simple question. Given a choice between these two options, which would you choose for the next setting of the Battlefield franchise: a return to modern military or to the far future in 2143?

Personally, as someone who hasn't played 2142 and who has played his fair share of modern military shooters, I'd very much like for DICE to make 2143. Outside of the future aesthetic and mechs and stuff, I feel like such a setting could offer a more varied gameplay experience, as the devs aren't beholden to the rules of modern day tech.

How about you?

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Never played 2142. So a futuristic Battlefield game sounds fun.

Then again, I've got Star Wars Battlefront II to play. Might as well pretend that's a futuristic BF.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
A new mainline Battlefield with a futuristic setting would be awesome

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, modern day is getting closer and closer to 2143. If we had a near future one they could have flying crafts, metal mules and gunbots.

Jun 23, 2019
I find it ironic everyone wants to go back to a futuristic style of FPS when we just had CoD Infinite Warfare and people hated it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Save 2143 for when the setting feels refreshing and not overdone.

Also despite Battlefield 2142 being beloved by the community, I don't think the original even did that well.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be Bad Company 3

Doesn't matter though, the DICE that made BC2 and BF3/4 is basically dead at this point.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never played 2143, what aspects made it distinct from the others?

I wouldn't be against anything honestly, just give me a good BF game again.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Futuristic multiplayer shooter games always have terrible weapons. On the one hand I would like to see someone succeed at that but I wouldn't want to sacrifice two years of Battlefield for that experiment. What I would like to see is a proper take on WW1. Take 90% of the automatic weapons away (that BF1 had) and see where that leads us.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Never played 2143, what aspects made it distinct from the others?

I wouldn't be against anything honestly, just give me a good BF game again.
Mechs, and an incredible game mode where both teams had a flying mobile base (think helicarriers from the MCU) where the objective would be to control cap points similar to standard battlefield, except the control points would weaken the enemy ships shields, allowing you to board and destroy said craft, the ending of matches consisted of being dropped onto the ship by aircraft, or jumping into boarding vehicles (manned controllable missles basically lol) and guiding yourself onto the ship, fighting the enemy team guarding it, then destroying the ships engine core and escaping, it was awesome and unlike anything seen since.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Speaking purely as a fan, so don't read into this, why not something in between? I've never really been a fan of sci fi weapons, they all feel too much pew pew pew ish. And modern day feels too... militaristic? is that the right word? Not the biggest fan of modern day military aesthetics. Would like to see something in between, modern day feel of weapons with futuristic aesthetics and stuff.

Is that Battlefield: Titanfall? Sort of like Battlefield: Anthem maybe? Future world with modern ish weapons and rust and stuff. Kind of like how the Starcraft universe sort of is, if it focuses only on the Terrans. Woah, it is, I just got a billion $ idea. Brb, calling some people!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I find it ironic everyone wants to go back to a futuristic style of FPS when we just had CoD Infinite Warfare and people hated it.

It was the first CoD I enjoyed in long time and the last one I enjoyed.

Give me this and get creative, so bored of modern real guns. At least the modern ones are better than old ones, I guess.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Outside of the future aesthetic and mechs and stuff, I feel like such a setting could offer a more varied gameplay experience, as the devs aren't beholden to the rules of modern day tech.

This is exactly what concerns me about the current DICE attempting a futuristic setting. We've seen them fit in ridiculously imbalanced tech and other nonsense into their modern-era games, I can't even imagine the absurdities they'd come up with for BF 2143.

Something like 1980's Cold War turned hot or early '90s setting would be ideal, in my opinion. Although Titan mode in 2142 was pretty fucking amazing, I have to admit.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
2143. The last BF4 expansion was building up to it as well.

Speaking purely as a fan, so don't read into this, why not something in between? I've never really been a fan of sci fi weapons, they all feel too much pew pew pew ish. And modern day feels too... militaristic? is that the right word? Not the biggest fan of modern day military aesthetics. Would like to see something in between, modern day feel of weapons with futuristic aesthetics and stuff.

Is that Battlefield: Titanfall? Sort of like Battlefield: Anthem maybe? Future world with modern ish weapons and rust and stuff. Kind of like how the Starcraft universe sort of is, if it focuses only on the Terrans. Woah, it is, I just got a billion $ idea. Brb, calling some people!

I didn't think BF2142 was that futuristic tbh. Maybe the Mech's.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
While modern is back in style, I think future is the way to go. The future can provide so many new and fun ideas, weapons, vehicles and maps. Imagine being on another world and the map is more vertical than it is long, but you have the vehicles to take advantage of it.

But realistically, BC3 would be amazing. I love BC2 and goddamn I would love just an a major update to that game. We need dedicated servers, we need to not have every single map do every single mode, and we need a focused objective. Seriously, Isla Inocentes was such an amazing RUSH ONLY map.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018

> Activision Blizzard loses interest in Starcraft
> DICE buys the IP
> Battlefield: Starcraft

Bo8JR9C.png

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally want 2143, but the safer choice of a modern setting would probably be for the best after BF1 and BFV.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm tired of both, but Modern has been less implemented in FPS these days, so I rather that

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think 2143 has higher potential for new and/or interesting ideas than the setting of BF3 and BF4. And BC and BC2. And BF2.
Especially if - and this is what really matters - it is Bad Company.

BFBC3 is widely agreed amongst the BF community and is what everyone wants.
What do people mean by that though? Some portion of these people might be wackadoos who want Battlefield to focus on 32p Rush.

I want the original Bad Company back in action, and given their proper due in a genuine frolicking adventure.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mechs, and an incredible game mode where both teams had a flying mobile base (think helicarriers from the MCU) where the objective would be to control cap points similar to standard battlefield, except the control points would weaken the enemy ships shields, allowing you to board and destroy said craft, the ending of matches consisted of being dropped onto the ship by aircraft, or jumping into boarding vehicles (manned controllable missles basically lol) and guiding yourself onto the ship, fighting the enemy team guarding it, then destroying the ships engine core and escaping, it was awesome and unlike anything seen since.

That does sound really cool, going to find a video to check it out.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for 2143 since 2142..... :(

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
2143 for me, no contest. The modern military/20 minutes into the future setting strikes me as soulless and uninteresting.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

DICE please

"WALKER SPOTTED! IT'S DEFINITELY HOSTILE!"

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
It's a new gen and we have not had a mainline current day Battlefield game since literally launch day of this gen.

It's time for a BF4 sequel. Or even better, BC3.

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it was fantastic.

The weapons were also great, no lasers just super rapid fire machine guns and really great shotguns. Spawning on your squad via drop pod was also very fun.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Other thing, the "Last Stand" DLC for BF4 just made thing worse. You teased us with the titans, the walkers, the hover tanks and the scape pods :(

Titan Mode was my favorite, despite the stutter that game mode suffered when onboard.

Oct 27, 2017
They should go one step further and make it super futuristic like Star Wars Battlefront but without the Star Wars license. Maybe this way we can finally get the seamless switch between space dogfights and infantry attacking a ship from inside that was denied to us in Battlefront thus far.

Battlefield is also at it's best if it has a load of gadgets to choose from so not being restricted by a modern day setting would definitely help.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I want them to take a break, their releases are trending downward in terms of quality, content, bugs, etc.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Future so they can go really crazy on the vehicules, map and gadget.

I'm ok with modern too. Either way, pleasssseee don't do two games in the same kind of settings in a row, to avoid fatigue. It was Imho a mistake with bf 3 & 4, then with 1 & V.