• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Mostly everyone here keep forgetting that their direct competitor has both MP, SP and co-op. They deliver it every year(excluding BO4) and yet DICE who's one of the biggest developers in the world, with a publisher who's worth more then 40 billion USD and earns billions is incapable to deliver on a complete package with more development time then a yearly Call of Duty game.

DICE has multiple studios helping them and yet they still need the resources to develop only the MP portion when COD studios are in the same position yet keep delivering every(almost) year.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
This is for sure gonna crush my dad. He looks forward to the battlefield campaigns each time since he can't keep up in multiplayer (he's been gaming for so many years but still can only move and look in one direction. He's gotta stop to turn and look haha). Damn. Hopefully they try campaigns again sometime, there's definitely a chunk of people that enjoy it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This is for sure gonna crush my dad. He looks forward to the battlefield campaigns each time since he can't keep up in multiplayer (he's been gaming for so many years but still can only move and look in one direction. He's gotta stop to turn and look haha). Damn. Hopefully they try campaigns again sometime, there's definitely a chunk of people that enjoy it.

Perhaps playing against AIs may be a good fit for him? Or is he more after cinematic / scripted experiences?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I know Era heavily skews single-player, probably due to it being a Sony leaning site, but come on.

Why does not having a campaign mean you can't charge full price? MP only games have to be cheaper or F2P?

Battlefield is the very definition of AAA next gen experience. If any MP only game can ask for full price, it's Battlefield.

niaobx

Banned
Aug 3, 2020
Pay the same amount for less game. It's never fun, but it's the way it's going to keep going so long as people keep accepting it. Stop supporting those who do it, keep supporting those who try to provide a more complete package.
Nothing wrong with a multiplayer only game being full price btw, for those who love multiplayer, it's tremendous value still. It just sucks to see games that once offered more shed features to squeeze just a bit more profit out. This kind of greedy grasping always seems to come from the companies that already make billions upon billions, while smaller studios manage to put out much more complete experiences with a fraction of the resources...all while treating their employees a bit less shittily.

The Simpsons, way ahead of their time yet again.

Where you're wrong is that by your logic any campaign being included is an added value. For me and obviously most Battlefield fans, these are a waste of resources that could have gone toward making MP better. So yeah, I am really glad that they decided to drop the SP

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Didn't care for their campaigns so I can't say this was a big loss. Had a little fun with B4, but the rest was disappointing story-wise.

Jose Cintron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People are fine with $70 games with a 15 hour single player mode and NO multiplayer at all, but they are upset that a multiplayer game that could potentially offer hundreds of hours worth of fun doesn't have a single player campaign?

Why is single player valued so much higher than multiplayer?

I do think it kinda sucks that you have to pay for season/battle pass type crap though.

Agreed with the bolded. Seems so weird that Multiplayer only games have this weird stigma of being somehow of less value because it doesn't have a single player mode. See it on twitter too not just on ERA.

Also I much rather have a battle pass than locking maps behind DLC. Makes it less likely to segment players by who owns what map dlc.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who knows what Killer Commando is, it's weird to me that there's a negative response to this at all. This is what BF1942 and BF2 were.
But I guess Battlefield has evolved in a bunch of directions throughout the years, and there being a SP campaign is one of them.
For those who valued that, it's absolutely fair to dislike this decision.
I certainly think it's the right one though. 99%. The 1% being the possibility of Bad Company 3.
I've been encouraging this sort of thing for at least a lot of years.

Bots is always a good idea, at least in theory. We'll see how advanced they are. BF1942 and BF2 had gouranga bots.
Don't think bots have appeared in a Battlefield since, so it's cool to see them return.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
People are fine with $70 games with a 15 hour single player mode and NO multiplayer at all, but they are upset that a multiplayer game that could potentially offer hundreds of hours worth of fun doesn't have a single player campaign?

Why is single player valued so much higher than multiplayer?

I do think it kinda sucks that you have to pay for season/battle pass type crap though.
It's been like this since Titanfall. How dare a game be multiplayer only and cost $60? Now let me go back to my 5 hour single player game.

Like you said, multiplayer games offer potential +100 hours of play and will have huge budgets just like other top games. Are we going to argue Battlefield isn't going to be one of the most expensive to produce games this year?

Most single player games offers a constructed way to play through set pieces, multiplayer games are open season in terms of interaction with friends and randoms. They have relative equal value for being full price.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I'm part of the group that thinks adding campaigns to the series was a bad idea from the jump.

Hype increase.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Pay the same amount for less game. It's never fun, but it's the way it's going to keep going so long as people keep accepting it. Stop supporting those who do it, keep supporting those who try to provide a more complete package.
Nothing wrong with a multiplayer only game being full price btw, for those who love multiplayer, it's tremendous value still. It just sucks to see games that once offered more shed features to squeeze just a bit more profit out. This kind of greedy grasping always seems to come from the companies that already make billions upon billions, while smaller studios manage to put out much more complete experiences with a fraction of the resources...all while treating their employees a bit less shittily.

I mean it depends on how you define less game. They putt an extra year of work into this and had the most teams ever work on it. They even pushed NfS back
so they get more people working on it. If everything works out right, you could also say it has more game in it then the other Battlefields.

Thats not less game to me.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based upon the recent videos, the US and Russia are in a war but everyone else is basically nonpats, so you just fight for a side. Not sure if BF is going to do various factions fighting.

Ah got it, I was hoping for like a joint task force or something like that. The whole U.S. v. Russia thing is getting a bit boring.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
I know Era heavily skews single-player, probably due to it being a Sony leaning site, but come on.

Why does not having a campaign mean you can't charge full price? MP only games have to be cheaper or F2P?

Battlefield is the very definition of AAA next gen experience. If any MP only game can ask for full price, it's Battlefield.

It's fucking ridiculous and annoying a 5 to 8 hour campaign that will be done in a weekend is a deal breaker for fucking battlefield a series that started without a single player.

A little off topic I'm still pissed Bethesda brought back Wolfenstein one of my favorite multiplayer games ever a d made it single player only.

Or the last of us 2 launching without factions and it still looks like it won't be here even a year after launch. Naughty Dog finally makes a good mu,tiplayer game after 2 missteps. IMO with uncharted they nail it with Last of us and then drop it from the sequel smh.

Multiplayer is just as valid as single player and it's annoying this forum constant obsession with dismissing mu,tiplayer.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I am NOT feeling Battlepasses after COD... I bought one..once. And I regret it. Playing it is like a second job for little reward.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not really an issue for me. I know why I'm buying a battlefield game and it ain't for the campaign. Especially these days.

Of course it'd be nice if that translates into a large more polished MP game at launch. So we'll see.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, they really messed up big time by not channeling tons of resources towards some short forgettable campaign at the expense of the mode that gets the vast majority of the players and their playtime

Only because the quality of the campaign's have seen a decline. If they just made a better campaign, more people would play, complete and appreciate it.

For example, I actually quite enjoyed Battlefield 4's campaign, I remember it was a visual and audio spectacle too. Clearly many agreed, since according to online trophy data, 39% of people completed the campaign, whilst 37% of people reached rank 25 in multiplayer.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Only because the quality of the campaign's have seen a decline. If they just made a better campaign, more people would play, complete and appreciate it.

For example, I actually quite enjoyed Battlefield 4's campaign, I remember it was a visual and audio spectacle too. Clearly many agreed, since according to online trophy data, 39% of people completed the campaign, whilst 37% of people reached rank 25 in multiplayer.
One of these trophies takes like 5 hours and the other does not

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
only scanned the first 5 pages or so but i'm surprised so many people care. after BF4 the campaigns were downright abysmal (and BF4's campaign was pretty meh as is, but i had fun i guess)

that said i never played any BF pre- BF4 so i guess there's hope held out for some former glory returned, i wouldn't know

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
Why don't people have this much outrage when Games don't have Bots?!

Which this game does BTW...
I should add VG247 confirmed this game will have AI bots. Apparently they even tie into PVP progression.

This argument always comes down to the fundamental console/PC split of not being okay with a $70 game that can "die' one day when the servers are shut down. Having bots (and maybe even local LAN, does BF do that these days?) changes that a bit. I'd feel a lot better if it had private servers though. I don't know if recent BF games have them but last I checked you can still find Bad Company 2 servers.

The real issue today though is that you got Warzone, upcoming Halo MP, Fortnite, CS, and EA's own Apex all F2P.

Yeah, the story above confirms 64v64 offline bots. Even co-op against bots.
Ok well that's promising news. I'm definitely a lot more interested now, thanks.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's impressive about that? DICE are most likely procedurally generating a fuck ton of those maps anyway. But yeah anything to justify a full price tag for 7 maps LMAO marketing BS as it's finest.
"Procedurally Generated". Man, I had no idea you worked at DICE on the map! You should really get verified by the staff so we know ahead of time! /s

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Their campaigns were never any good and at best were just a waste of resources. I hope that by eliminating the campaign they make it up by making an amazing multiplayer game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of these trophies takes like 5 hours and the other does not

How long to beat has it 6 hours, or 7 hours for all styles of play. But I take your point and agree lol. Unfortunately there's no lower rank trophy, but either way, seems like many still played the campaign too.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What's impressive about that? DICE are most likely procedurally generating a fuck ton of those maps anyway. But yeah anything to justify a full price tag for 7 maps LMAO marketing BS as it's finest.
If you're able to "procedurally generate" high-quality multiplayer maps then every big publisher in the world is going to pay you BIG bucks. If not then you're talking shit.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Mostly everyone here keep forgetting that their direct competitor has both MP, SP and co-op. They deliver it every year(excluding BO4) and yet DICE who's one of the biggest developers in the world, with a publisher who's worth more then 40 billion USD and earns billions is incapable to deliver on a complete package with more development time then a yearly Call of Duty game.

DICE has multiple studios helping them and yet they still need the resources to develop only the MP portion when COD studios are in the same position yet keep delivering every(almost) year.

Overwatch is also a direct competitor and is purely MP. Overwatch also is higher rated on MC than any COD game made in the last decade, cost $60 and has provided players with hundreds of hours of value.

but I suppose it must be a shit game because it doesn't have SP.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm okay with this. Multiplayer first franchises like Battlefield are MUUUCH better off focusing on mp

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

On BF1 and BFV, on average it took about 6 to 9 months of work by about 10 people with about 2000 hours of combined playtesting time per map for iteration (to get a map to good quality).

Believe me, it would be a dream to click the Generate Map button and move on with life, but things are a little bit trickier than that. :)