• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
3 and 4 had half their weapons being absolutely redundant trash lol, potato grips etc. literally half of those games were self rehashes, towards the end you saw the same 5 weapons except my dumb ass who used an L85 for years

You can create these variants using attachments in this game whereas in those games half the attachments did the same thing, just had visual changes, you can even have a shotgun underbarrel on a sniper in this game because they just did whatever

BF3 had a huge problem with weapon balance with some of then being so overpowered (M16A3 mostly but the AEK being a close second) that everyone on the medic class used then for example. So yeah, I agree with you there.

But BF4 on the other hand while still having issues, handled weapon balance way better. I'm playing a lot of BF4 right now after I started gaming on PC and the weapon variety killing me has been great and pretty diverse as always. Same experience I had in more than 1500 hours on PS4. I always felt like most people playing BF were playing with the guns they enjoyed most (like you with the L85) than the ones considered top tier at a particular moment. Obviously you will always have the try hards to the only play the meta weapons.

Attachments are another matter, grips offered little variation form one to another like you said.

And that is one of the reasons that I fail to see how attachments are going to minimize the lacking weapon selection problem now in 2042.

A PKP with a long barrel, 4x sight and any kind of grip is not going to be different enough from another PKP with a shorter barrel and a red dot sight and any grip to compensate only having 2 LMGs. If you are talking about ammo choice, I honestly think that should not be on the game and everywhere I saw during the beta it seems that people were running mostly with the default ammo type.

I just hope the content drop starts early and keeps steady because after 1 or 2 months we are really going to need it.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of questions:

1. I have a 2060 and an i7-9750H - can I get a good experience without dialling things down too much?
2. What's the point of buying it in Steam, I'll still need the EA launcher right?
3. Since there is no SP campaign, is there something to do on first day(s) of the launch that inevitably will be fraught with server/latency issues?

Thank you

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
BF3 had a huge problem with weapon balance with some of then being so overpowered (M16A3 mostly but the AEK being a close second) that everyone on the medic class used then for example. So yeah, I agree with you there.

But BF4 on the other hand while still having issues, handled weapon balance way better. I'm playing a lot of BF4 right now after I started gaming on PC and the weapon variety killing me has been great and pretty diverse as always. Same experience I had in more than 1500 hours on PS4. I always felt like most people playing BF were playing with the guns they enjoyed most (like you with the L85) than the ones considered top tier at a particular moment. Obviously you will always have the try hards to the only play the meta weapons.

Attachments are another matter, grips offered little variation form one to another like you said.

And that is one of the reasons that I fail to see how attachments are going to minimize the lacking weapon selection problem now in 2042.

A PKP with a long barrel, 4x sight and any kind of grip is not going to be different enough from another PKP with a shorter barrel and a red dot sight and any grip to compensate only having 2 LMGs. If you are talking about ammo choice, I honestly think that should not be on the game and everywhere I saw during the beta it seems that people were running mostly with the default ammo type.

I just hope the content drop starts early and keeps steady because after 1 or 2 months we are really going to need it.
Ammo choice and secondary barrel attachments are the alterations I'm speaking of, beyond that the main attachments all have a purpose unlike previous games, nothing is wasted

Ammo swaps are how weapon alterations will take place until we get all the pass guns, which can then have their own ammo swaps, people in the beta didn't even try with this stuff for the most part, most of the community probably won't either, but it's there and has its purpose that's functional

It's a less obvious way for people who play a lot to get the alteration they want, more guns is a more obvious way of doing that, but when we get those they too now have that layer

Not arguing against more guns, just stating what we do have at launch which isn't so bleak, it seems like there's going to be a ton of pass weapons and probably some random ones with updates like previous games

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of questions:

1. I have a 2060 and an i7-9750H - can I get a good experience without dialling things down too much?
2. What's the point of buying it in Steam, I'll still need the EA launcher right?
3. Since there is no SP campaign, is there something to do on first day(s) of the launch that inevitably will be fraught with server/latency issues?

Thank you
1. If the performance of the beta is still here, you would need to turn things down a little bit, but you can find a 60fps lock easily at 1080p, or even 1440p.
2. Correct, it's just commodity if you want Steam to handle updates.
3. No

Naru

May 11, 2019
There is always some crazy bug that gets people raging, or some meta gun that loads of people abuse for a week or so. I am not expecting 2042 to come out with no need for balance, I am just hoping DICE sticks to their plans and does not flipflop like BFV.
Yes but it always takes them so long to fix, even stuff that should get hotfixed immediately.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes but it always takes them so long to fix, even stuff that should get hotfixed immediately.
Agreed. If something is seen as busted early on, they should hotfix it. I guess until people have unlocked all the weapons and gadgets it's hard to know what might be broken but we will probably hear in the first few hours, if some meta setup is bored haha.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Seeing console footage is probably gonna give me serious regret for splashing out on the ultimate edition. Might go in blind to be disappointed first hand.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OT! Do I also get a 10 hour trial if have EA Play via Game Pass Ultimate? If so, how would I go about that? I have the Standard Edition on Steam already purchased.

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
Do you really think swapping to NZ will work for that?
Maybe the servers won't be active everywhere in the world

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I totally expect something to be fucked up, like weapon balance or a big bug, and DICE not hotfixing it but waiting one or two weeks as they usually do.
Early access people basically paid 30€ for being Beta testers. Or maybe even Alpha testers and Beta starts next week for everyone paying 60€ :D
I am expecting problems but I hope the worst will be ironed out next week.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm legit shocked this game doesn't have mouse and keyboard support on consoles. Seriously what a dopey fucking call.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Ah but how does it know that I have GPU? Do I have to link my Microsoft account somewhere?
Ah, you have to link your Xbox account with EA Account. In the Game Pass app, find EA Play, or just any EA Game, try to install it, and it should prompt you to sign in with EA Account. Then you just use EA Desktop with EA Play.

It's been a while since I linked it, so I don't remember the process exactly.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, you have to link your Xbox account with EA Account. In the Game Pass app, find EA Play, or just any EA Game, try to install it, and it should prompt you to sign in with EA Account. Then you just use EA Desktop with EA Play.

It's been a while since I linked it, so I don't remember the process exactly.

Ah okay I get it and I'm sure I'll figure it out, thanks! 😊

Apr 30, 2019
I'm pretty confident the game will be in a decent state since they're giving us 10 free hours to try it before we buy it with GPU/EA Play.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Are there any VPN shenanigans to be able to play early on PS5? I know on Xbox it's as simple as changing the console's region, but I figure it won't be as simple on Playstation if it's even possible at all. Can't wait, just finished my pre-load.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I love that we can swap location and get early release on xbox. Visiting New Zealand again it is.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any VPN shenanigans to be able to play early on PS5? I know on Xbox it's as simple as changing the console's region, but I figure it won't be as simple on Playstation if it's even possible at all. Can't wait, just finished my pre-load.
No, unless you're double dipping on a nz store copy you're gonna have to wait until your regions store release time. We'll let you know how it goes though ;)

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
No, unless you're double dipping on a nz store copy you're gonna have to wait until your regions store release time. We'll let you know how it goes though ;)
Hah figured as much. Buying the gold edition was enough, won't buy it twice haha but have fun! Looking forward to join you in 13 hours.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Kind of unfortunate consoles release nearly half a day earlier than PC. Don't even have SMT V to hide myself from all the content and discussions.

EA what if... you unlocked it... early? 👉👈😳

Tiesieman

Nov 3, 2020
A PKP with a long barrel, 4x sight and any kind of grip is not going to be different enough from another PKP with a shorter barrel and a red dot sight and any grip to compensate only having 2 LMGs.

That entirely depends on the impact of each attachment in this game. For example, in the preview for weapon customization after the beta, equipping an Extended Barrel showed that it would decrease your rate of fire but increase projectile speed. That already has a much bigger impact on the feel of a gun than many attachments in Bf3/Bf4, where they were mostly spread & recoil changes.

That being said, I agree with you that in the beta the attachments felt very low impact, aside from the low cal/ high cal magazine conversions on the assault rifle

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just realised the ten hour trial version unlocks today at 4 UTC (GMT really ;-)

So I'm in the UK with gamepass ultimate which means I can play today at 4pm?

According to a web page I read yesterday, and my dodgy memory, yes.

In theory you can pre-load the full game by using the xbox app on a mobile phone (web store and console itself won't work). I'm hoping/assuming the trial wont have a separate store version and download

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
]
Yes. If you use the Xbox app you can pre-load now.
As an update - i just cant get this to work. Cleared space off the console yesterday, and the app just seems to accept everything as if it's working, but nothing appears on the console. Tried a few times yesterday and iut didnt work, so i thought it might pick up the instruction in the overnight check-in but that didn't work either, and it's not working now :-(

So I can't start downloading until 4, when it hopefully starts appearing in the trial pages

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Will see if this whole new zealand think works for EA play. Its been a while since i used ea play. Usually only with BF releases haha
Still gonna play today fully tho. As i got my copy from the hong kong store. So it unlocks for me at 5pm today,

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
reviews dropping would be weird right? As reviewers and creators only got hands on this monday

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
]

As an update - i just cant get this to work. Cleared space off the console yesterday, and the app just seems to accept everything as if it's working, but nothing appears on the console. Tried a few times yesterday and iut didnt work, so i thought it might pick up the instruction in the overnight check-in but that didn't work either, and it's not working now :-(

So I can't start downloading until 4, when it hopefully starts appearing in the trial pages
That's strange, but I did see people have similar experiences in here yesterday. I must've got lucky on Monday, it worked for me even though there wasn't much visual feedback on the app. Next time I booted up it was there and I pulled in the Day 0 update last night.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Will see if this whole new zealand think works for EA play. Its been a while since i used ea play. Usually only with BF releases haha
Still gonna play today fully tho. As i got my copy from the hong kong store. So it unlocks for me at 5pm today,
If you mean EA play and the 10 hour trial that has a global unlock time of 4 p.m. UTC.

As you own the game it should unlock either based on the location set or the store you bought it from (as you said :-)

Let's gooo. \o/ I'm in. (XSX)

yay for you, sad for me! :-(