• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Don't really have any issue with that. I do want to know when the beta will be though so I know what time I should put down the preorder by.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
why you even do 128 player matches when you are gonna force bots? Get those bots out of my multiplayer game...
Team balance.
It's to prevent situations where 4 players in a party join a match and they either completely imbalance the teams or have to split up into different teams.
Bots would give the team with less players a bit of a chance until the slots are filled in.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Closed alpha for BFV was only for PC, right?
Yes, but BF1 was console as well and they have uploaded 2042 alpha files to PSN already.

Damn, we have any deets on that yet? 🤔

EA Playtesting - Sign in

The first is the community playtesting and is a guaranteed invite so they will send you an email when something is coming. The second is a signup playtesting session, they will notify you by email when a session is happening but you get chosen afterwards. I think a Dragon Age alpha registration for the signup playtesting is available for 7/7 for example. They also invited vets from all platforms for the BF1 and BFV test, but they gave me a PC key for BFV even though I only play on PS.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

EA Playtesting - Sign in

The first is the community playtesting and is a guaranteed invite so they will send you an email when something is coming. The second is a signup playtesting session, they will notify you by email when a session is happening but you get chosen afterwards. I think a Dragon Age alpha registration for the signup playtesting is available for 7/7 for example.
This is super useful and informative, thank you for taking the time 😊🌸

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but BF1 was console as well and they have uploaded 2042 alpha files to PSN already.

EA Playtesting - Sign in

The first is the community playtesting and is a guaranteed invite so they will send you an email when something is coming. The second is a signup playtesting session, they will notify you by email when a session is happening but you get chosen afterwards. I think a Dragon Age alpha registration for the signup playtesting is available for 7/7 for example. They also invited vets from all platforms for the BF1 and BFV test, but they gave me a PC key for BFV even though I only play on PS.
Second one is more on location?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
"Once you become a member, sign up for a Playtest available in your area."

Remote QA test maybe? :(

We have done some remote UXR sessions during the pandemic, yea. It depends on the projects, though, every team does what they are most comfortable with. It is always a security risk when doing these things, but luckily people have been very respectful, which is greatly appreciated.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of bots mixing with real players. In multiplayer, I want to know that I'm doing well against real players and not having my stats padded by bots. It's why I also don't really care for the new style of kill sharing in your stats. If I pull off some sort of amazing play or snipe, it's not gonna be cool when it's just a bot moping around.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
We have done some remote UXR sessions during the pandemic, yea. It depends on the projects, though, every team does what they are most comfortable with. It is always a security risk when doing these things, but luckily people have been very respectful, which is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, these tests are risky, but fortunately most of these testers are sensible individuals. (I've been doing this since 2015, for example)

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Fired up BF1 for a bit to get back into the series. Played 5 matches, 4 had hackers getting 300+ kills. Instant kill on spawn and everything.
The real fun part is ther's no vote kick system, so they'll continue to ruin games until DICE finally gets around to them. Straight up uninstalled.

If 2042 doesn't have robust anti-cheat tools AND a basic af vote kick system, there's no way I'm touching this on pc.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That would just split the playerbase, which isn't preferable, especially with 128 player servers.
If the game is as big as DICE hope it is, filling servers should not be an issue. I can understand the use of bots for lower population places etc but I would rather have the options to have less full servers than just have bots roaming around doing dumb bot stuff. Personal preference of course. I always prefer to play my MP games with actual people since bots cannot replace the pure enjoyment/rage that playing real people can cause haha.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
That kinda hints at that insane rumor of Battlefield Hub that would contain every Battlefield game ever released with options to mix and match content (1942 maps with 2's armies etc).

Class limits would do absolutely nothing in a game where any class can pick any primary weapon from any category.
It squares with the Hub for sure.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what the problem with bots are? It's a great way to ease new players in and I'd prefer bots that let the match get started rather than waiting until enough players fill up a server.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I don't understand what the problem with bots are? It's a great way to ease new players in and I'd prefer bots that let the match get started rather than waiting until enough players fill up a server.
Because they typically are dumb and it leads to people getting easy kills/wins.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017

I see nothing wrong with people getting easy kills from bots. In what games are there enough bots that they give the opposing team easy wins? That does sound like a problem. For BF 2042, it seems unlikely someone would get placed on a team that's mostly bots while the other is mostly people.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
As long as player count tells you how many non-bot players there are then I don't care. BFV seems to have a big issue with tons of players leaving immediately after every map. That leads to like the first 5 minutes of each match having lower player counts before filling in. It'd be nice if that helps fill that gap.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
They been working on working on a more robust ai solution for quite a while now so hopefully this is more than just dumb bots running around. Hopefully they are difficult without essentially cheating, decent filler between rounds and for low population regions would be good.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Really not a fan of not being able to turn bots off on servers. Hate this trend of filling up PVP games with braindead AI just so the worst players can farm kills.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the bots will be a problem. People complained about the AI soldiers in Titanfall too, and they were fine there.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Fired up BF1 for a bit to get back into the series. Played 5 matches, 4 had hackers getting 300+ kills. Instant kill on spawn and everything.
The real fun part is ther's no vote kick system, so they'll continue to ruin games until DICE finally gets around to them. Straight up uninstalled.

If 2042 doesn't have robust anti-cheat tools AND a basic af vote kick system, there's no way I'm touching this on pc.

Oh hey, this is what I have been saying for years now, but everytime I bring it up I get lambasted for it. Apparently it's all in my head.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the worst part about Titanfall. Bots are awful and only good for people who can't compete online.

I guess we played different Titanfalls then... In both games you could easily ignore the bots and go for Pilots/Titans if you were good enough, and it wouldn't really be an issue. Meanwhile, players who weren't so good could have fun with the bots. Win-win.
I think your issue is that you don't want these players to have fun, and would prefer to farm them instead. Same thing going on with all these streamers whining about skill based matchmaking. The second people who have less time to dedicate to a game get an option to have fun and maybe don't run into all the "highly skilled" players all the time, people start complaining.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I guess we played different Titanfalls then... In both games you could easily ignore the bots and go for Pilots/Titans if you were good enough, and it wouldn't really be an issue. Meanwhile, players who weren't so good could have fun with the bots. Win-win.
I think your issue is that you don't want these players to have fun, and would prefer to farm them instead. Same thing going on with all these streamers whining about skill based matchmaking. The second people who have less time to dedicate to a game get an option to have fun and maybe don't run into all the "highly skilled" players all the time, people start complaining.
There is a big difference with bots in that game and what will be in 2042, and they are not being added to give bad players something else to shoot at. What happens when they are more effective and challenging for the players? I am not against bots conceptually and think what they are doing for the next game is fine, but also do not want brain dead ones. Additionally they will be implementing better team balancing so games are not one sided.

COD also had the issue of monetization affecting matchmaking.

Last edited:

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a big difference with bots in that game and what will be in 2042, and they are not being added to give bad players something else to shoot at. What happens when they are more effective and challenging for the players? I am not against bots conceptually and think what they are doing for the next game is fine, but also do not want brain dead ones. Additionally they will be implementing better team balancing so games are not one sided.

COD also had the issue of monetization effecting matchmaking.

If they are not being added to give bad players something else to shoot at (which was the issue the other poster had) then what is the issue? If the bots work fine, what's the problem? Even the best bot will probably be more fun to fight for a lot of people than many try hard players I've met (or even myself, in some ways). I don't see what's so horrible about the game having bots to fill empty spots. It helps keep it alive longer (I still play Red Orchestra and Tannenberg from time to time, and those games have more bots than people nowadays)
And regarding skill based matchmaking, I wasn't talking specifically about COD. Streamers seem to hate it on all games, and the reason for it is way too obvious: they want to feel like gods killing people who have less skill/time to dedicate to the game.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
If they are not being added to give bad players something else to shoot at (which was the issue the other poster had) then what is the issue? If the bots work fine, what's the problem? Even the best bot will probably be more fun to fight for a lot of people than many try hard players I've met (or even myself, in some ways). I don't see what's so horrible about the game having bots to fill empty spots. It helps keep it alive longer (I still play Red Orchestra and Tannenberg from time to time, and those games have more bots than people nowadays)
And regarding skill based matchmaking, I wasn't talking specifically about COD. Streamers seem to hate it on all games, and the reason for it is way too obvious: they want to feel like gods killing people who have less skill/time to dedicate to the game.
There should not be any issue if the bots are competent but it is understandable that people will be apprehensive of the idea when they were braindead in other games. Sometimes they would be braindead but still cheat, like have very wide lock on radius and lock on distance. I think if they can solve these issues with the resources that have been put into the ai work, maybe the experience will be better and those concern unfounded.

Agree partially with your second statement, but I have heard from people playing MW2019 and CW that many times it does not match teams with equal or very similar skill. Instead the algorithm mixes skill levels in a way that still produces very lopsided games, and playing with mixed skill parties is very frustrating. I am hoping their team balancer for the next game can improve on what BF1 had though, it is a stark contrast to the almost always lopsided games of BFV without it.

Demon_Ice

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Please tell me they got rid of suppression in this game

What a dumb fucking braindead idea for a shooter

Hey you're getting shot at so your gun gets nervous and doesn't work right anymore brilliant DICE

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Please tell me they got rid of suppression in this game

What a dumb fucking braindead idea for a shooter

Hey you're getting shot at so your gun gets nervous and doesn't work right anymore brilliant DICE
Most bullets shot in combat are for suppression. They were trying to mimic real military tactics while making LMGs more than just slower assault rifles with larger magazines. Battlefield has always had a touch of milsim mixed in with the arcadey wackiness. That's what separates it from CoD.

But the mechanic has been muted to the point where most players won't notice it in BFV and it will probably be similar in 2042. In hindsight, preventing squad spawning has always been a bigger benefit than just throwing off someone's aim so it still has some strategic utility.

M0d3_M

Jun 29, 2020
No problem with bots from my point of view, it will certainly help to learn the maps and become comfortable with the game at the beginning.

There is more of a problem if the bots turn out anything like the ones in Cold War which have horrendously bad AI.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Balancing AI is always tricky. Go too far and AI will drill players into eyeballs across the map in full auto with pinpoint accuracy, while knowing location of every player at all times. Don't go far enough and you have swarm of brain dead zombies that just fill space, but otherwise are absolute waste of everyone's time.

Getting to that sweetspot of "believable player like behavior without obvious flaws or AI cheating" is task I don't envy.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
i dont think we need Bots when the server is like 64 vs 61 or something. Bots kinda needs to be a last resort really. If a server really gets empty suddenly.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Balancing AI is always tricky. Go too far and AI will drill players into eyeballs across the map in full auto with pinpoint accuracy, while knowing location of every player at all times. Don't go far enough and you have swarm of brain dead zombies that just fill space, but otherwise are absolute waste of everyone's time.

Getting to that sweetspot of "believable player like behavior without obvious flaws or AI cheating" is task I don't envy.

They started researching AI for bots a couple of years ago. Will be interesting to see what they came up with.

I remember a long time ago there was a bot developer for Counter Strike that made a bot that learned from players over time and started to do things like jump shots, shooting through certain vents/walls if it believed a player was there and even learned to jump stack. Once the bots learned from enough players, they were actually really damn good and felt like playing with other players at times.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Most bullets shot in combat are for suppression. They were trying to mimic real military tactics while making LMGs more than just slower assault rifles with larger magazines. Battlefield has always had a touch of milsim mixed in with the arcadey wackiness. That's what separates it from CoD.

But the mechanic has been muted to the point where most players won't notice it in BFV and it will probably be similar in 2042. In hindsight, preventing squad spawning has always been a bigger benefit than just throwing off someone's aim so it still has some strategic utility.
No, suppression in BF3 literally made the bullets disappear if you try to shot after someone is already shooting you, there was nothing realistic about, basically the first one that started shooting won.

Gladly in BF4 they removed that crap and I suppose it will be the same in 2042.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
No, suppression in BF3 literally made the bullets disappear if you try to shot after someone is already shooting you, there was nothing realistic about, basically the first one that started shooting won.

Gladly in BF4 they removed that crap and I suppose it will be the same in 2042.
I'm not saying that I want to see bf3 suppression make a comeback, but the intent of making suppression to be usefull, which is realistic, but does not mean that it is ( or even can be ) done by making the suppression effect realistic in itself. I mean it's not like people will actively fear for their life in a videogame, even less so if the TTK is slow and you have health regen.

M0d3_M

Jun 29, 2020
They started researching AI for bots a couple of years ago. Will be interesting to see what they came up with.

I remember a long time ago there was a bot developer for Counter Strike that made a bot that learned from players over time and started to do things like jump shots, shooting through certain vents/walls if it believed a player was there and even learned to jump stack. Once the bots learned from enough players, they were actually really damn good and felt like playing with other players at times.

Sounds similar to what Playground Games do with the Forza Drivatars, which work really well although its likely not as complex as a FPS.