• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines

From steam page:

Why Early Access?
"For us, Early Access is all about reengaging the Battle Realms player and opening a direct dialog between them and us. We want to recreate the vibrant Battle Realms community of the past and provide the kind of direct response to questions and problems that arise during high intensity gameplay.

Battle Realms isn't finished, and we intended it that way. Early Access let's us put the majority of the game on Steam and then accept the feedback from players to polish and hone the game to perfection.

We are committed to making the best 1.0 possible and we want to bring the fans in from the very beginning to make the game that they want as much as we do."

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
"I'm hoping that it will be less than a year, but it is hard to tell right now. I want everything to work well and most, it not all bugs that we find, fixed."

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
"Currently we are only supporting English. I'd like to be supporting all the languages BR had in it's final release, along with any bugs or exploits we find removed from play.

Beyond that we are hoping for a deeper integration with Steam - including achievements and the rest."

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
"Battle Realms Early Access is almost as feature complete as the 2001 release of the game.
All resourcing is in, all training, upgrading, combat, FX, and environmental systems. The game should be fully playable as a single player game and up to 2v2 multiplayer.

We are sorting out some minimap issues associated with interactions between the Steam Overlay and the game, and we are looking into ways of incorporating localizations in Spanish, French, Italian, and German. Originally these were all different versions with different builds but we are looking at what it would take to put it all into one version of the game."

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
"Yes. For now the game will be priced at roughly half of what we intend to price it at once we reach 1.0."

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
"Community will become integral to making the best 1.0 version of the game possible. I encourage any bugs found be reported to [email protected] as we are forming a database to handle the perfecting of the game. Beyond that, as interest allows we will consider making Battle Packs, Expansions, and potentially even sequels to the game."

C&C remastered and now this. anybody played this gem back in the day?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man I remember this game. Great fun and I think they had some pretty neat ideas. Fantastic news they're remastering it.

Or is it even a remaster? If not, I don't quite get it as the game's available on gog.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
So this is mostly about better integration with the steam client? Adding achievements and making the steam overlay work without bugs.

OP
OP
rouken

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
Oh man I remember this game. Great fun and I think they had some pretty neat ideas. Fantastic news they're remastering it.

Or is it even a remaster? If not, I don't quite get it as the game's available on gog.

currently they are just adding compatibility to modern systems (OS, resolution, steam, multiplayer). but I also read the developer wants to fully remake the game and do sequels if this one becomes successful enough.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Great game. My friends and I played the hell out of it in multiplayer back in the day. To this day we still sometimes say, "We need more rice!" in the game's voice when we go out to eat Asian food.

Had a lot of great ideas that most RTS games didn't have like forcing the ranged units to switch to melee attacks if they were attacked at close range. Just made more sense. An archer isn't going to just stand there and try to shoot an arrow at someone who's right in his face. And the fighting animations were very creative too, not just the same animation of a guy swinging his sword the same way over and over.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, BTW you can't claim this was best RTS of 2001 when Kohan: Ahriman's Gift came out that same year.
That was the best RTS ever.

Kanito8a

Apr 18, 2018
Fantastic game. I finished the campaign and the expansion back in the day and I even double dipped in GOG.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm convinced Blizzard based a bunch of WC3 designs on Battle Realms units.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
That's not how you spell Warlords Battlecry 2 (though honestly, that game might be bad? I just know I loved it).
Battle Realms was a blast though, nice to hear

Oct 28, 2017
Got the gog version and playing through the addon campaign for the first time (Winter fo the Wolf) Damn, this game is still fun. So much unit variability!