• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 26, 2018
CEvA_JRW0AERfY5.png

Battle passes are just the next level of manipulative trash practices this industry has come up with.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
Not a fan either. I just finished my Apex battle pass. I doubt I'll play enough next season to complete the next one. Pretty much every online game nowadays competes for your time and money to finish content. Meh, I quit every game that has (monthly) content updates because feeling obliged to do something or "missing out" isn't for me.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I like the sense of progress and the rewards but I usually don't buy them because I can't commit the time to make any meaningful progress during a season. I think most battlepasses don't allow you to finish the rewards after a season ended, right? That's what keeps me from buying them.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand what you mean. I think Apex is actually the easiest one to complete if you play at least an hour or two a day. It helps if you win a lot lol

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
yeah apex was the first one i bought and while i was happy to support the game and feel like i got a lot of fun out of it, it was stressful and kinda weird to feel obligated to play so regularly.

even if i was going to play that much anyways, i'd prefer for it to be on my own time.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the last Rocket League BP was easy enough to get everything and accessible enough by just playing the game normally outside of having to equip some cosmetics etc. I think I maxed out the BP halfway through the season. It's stuff like Apex that requires you to be really good in a game where a lot of people are even better than you where I'd agree it starts feeling like work. Every now and then I'd have a good match in Apex, but between those matches the BP was slooooow.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still more or less in the "meh, whatever" group wrt battle passes. I've played a ton of Apex Legends, but never had a hard time just ignoring the whole cosmetics and BP parts of the game. Only bought the season 2 BP since I happened to reach level 50 just by playing the game like I always do, and will likely do the same with season 3.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Paid for Battle Pass once with Paladins. Never again. It's more tedious than those mobile games mechanic where it requires you to login every day.

Dota 2 started this trend and people tolerated it because you can resell those stuff for money. Other games though, no way to resell and it just become worse and exploitative.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
All games have been designed to "hook" people in since people started designing games.

Connectivity has just made it easier. I don't think BP make games "addictive" the combination of a BP and a game people enjoy might though. But the issue then is whether that is inherently bad? It completely depends on the context. People used to be addicted to Halo - no BP there. And loads of articles about how bad it was that people were addicted to shooting aliens.

There are numerous factors with Battle Passes that did not exist with Halo back in the day, and yes, you can get addicted to nearly anything, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be wary of certain things that are more likely to cause addiction (and are arguably designed to cause it).

Battle Passes encourage you to spend time playing the game in a rather specific way. To log in each day. To play a bit every couple of days. To play quite a lot every week. If you don't you get behind. If you don't for too long your opportunity to get the best stuff disappears forever. You are encouraged to spend time to unlock the things you've effectively already bought. If you do spend that time you feel more and more like you've wasted unless you get to the end. Battle passes also materially affect how users play in a way that is often not positive.

I'm not anti GaaS, but people should be aware of how/why these systems work and the downsides of them. If I were a parent I would not want my child to have a Battle Pass (but that would be quite hard to achieve with Fortnite because Epic have made it possible to get in on the pass for free after which it's not that hard to keep getting the next one and the next one and the next one).

Last edited:

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Yeah I'm inclined to put this down to the ERA bubble/demographic. Not saying it's not a valid concern or reason to not want to like or play GaaS games but I think for the masses (and for myself personally) battlepasses are fine. I see people call it shady or "it tries to lock you into one game forever". Like, yeah no shit. That's literally how GaaS works. If they don't keep you around, they don't make any money. In the case of Fortnite or soon D2, it's for mostly free games. End of the day, if you don't enjoy the game, don't play it.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I guess dropping support after a game ships is better. Right?
It doesn't have to be black or white though.
As it is, the majority of games with online features are taking advantage of their user base and feed them garbage that is basically gambling.
I'm all for DLC, expansions or any other meaningful support after the game is released but let's not pretend that GaaS is about anything else than milking money off of everyone.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
No, but designing the game as a one and done from the ground up like the old days is better.

So, dropping support. :)

Dropping support for a game after launch would be better than taking advantage of your user base, which almost every multiplayer game does now.

Adding more content is taking advantage?

Right, because supporting a game post-launch necessitates exploitative meta-games and social engineering.

Exploitative, what? That you get to have more stuff and challenges to do is exploitative? Have you tried, you know, just playing what you want for fun?

It doesn't have to be black or white though.
As it is, the majority of games with online features are taking advantage of their user base and feed them garbage that is basically gambling.
I'm all for DLC, expansions or any other meaningful support after the game is released but let's not pretend that GaaS is about anything else than milking money off of everyone.

What does a servicing model have to do with monetisation models? They are not 1:1.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's so nice to just sit down and play games without any of this crap.

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
I've got no problems with BPs since they are almost always purely cosmetic. If it's like that, then I'm okay with it since the main game stays the same. And I couldn't care less about the newest exclusive skin. So I play the game exactly the way like I want without thinking about such things. I like the GaaS approach more than the MP expansions of the past which just fragmented the userbases. Of course the best course of action would be constant content without any moneymaking mechanics but that's utopic in todays landscape ^^

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I literally only play rocket league for the sake of getting the items now. I actually wanted a season pass system in RL, since tbh their lootboxes were some of the worst in gaming all around, but this sucks too. The BP might actually be having even more of an effect on my play that the shitty crates

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
No, but designing the game as a one and done from the ground up like the old days is better.

How does this work with games like fortnite, destiny etc ? Only iterate through expansions ? Or never change the map/content in battle games ?

Not all games fit the model of the witcher or games in the old days like half life etc.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There are numerous factors with Battle Passes that did not exist with Halo back in the day, and yes, you can get addicted to nearly anything, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be wary of certain things that are more likely to cause addiction (and are arguably designed to cause it).

Battle Passes encourage you to spend time playing the game in a rather specific way. To log in each day. To play a bit every couple of days. To play quite a lot every week. If you don't you get behind. If you don't for too long your opportunity to get the best stuff disappears forever. You are encouraged to spend time to unlock the things you've effectively already bought. If you do spend that time you feel more and more like you've wasted unless you get to the end. Battle passes also materially affect how users play in a way that is often not positive.

I'm not anti GaaS, but people should be aware of how/why these systems work and the downsides of them.

But so does any game that offers rewards or loot. However said rewards are structured. I totally get your point ts more that creating loops that people enjoy is what gaming is. And the line between a loop being addictive in a good way and a bad way is not "GaaS" per se.

I think there are times and places for BPs and good and bad implementations.

I don't personally think the BP makes players addicted its the gameplay loop itself - if that is enjoyable and fun then the rest follows. The BP might as you say negatively impact HOW people enjoy the game though.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I agree, that's why I stopped playing BFV even though I enjoyed the core gameplay. I'd rather pay for periodical DLC than the constant nagging of a battlepass. And yes I know, BFV's battlepass isn't a "true" battlepass because it doesn't have a paid and free track, but it behaves exactly like one.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
I've done all the Fortnite ones so far.

The change they made this season with Daily challenges where you don't need to actively boot the game up daily to get the challenge has been great. Just need to make sure you clear them before the weekly reset on a Wednesday.

The thing for me is that I still enjoy the game itself as long as i'm playing with friends, and I like the cosmetics they include in the passes.

Something like Apex where I had 0 interest at all in the cosmetics but enjoyed the game means a battle pass there would be worthless for me.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Yeah its getting out of hand almost every multiplayer game a some sort of battle pass now. If you play more than one of those games, gaming gets exhausting.

Sep 25, 2018
Today marks the start of a new season in Apex Legends and a new expansion for Destiny 2, both games that I'm interested in playing. But both games feature a battle pass system, in which you must grind to gain levels. This makes playing both games very difficult.

In Apex Legends, in order to max out your battle pass at level 110, you must gain at least 8 levels per week. To do so, you must finish 10 Daily Challenges every week for 2 battle pass levels and get 24000 additional experience points to get 3 more battle pass levels. This requires you to play for 4 out of 7 days each week because you get 3 daily challenges every day so you get your 10th on day 4. This is the minimum requirement that also assumes that you are going to finish each of the 3 weekly challenges that are not time limited so you reach your required rate of 8 levels per week.

In Destiny 2, the exact requirements are currently unknown but there are 100 battle pass levels to do and there are microtransactions tied to it so it will most likely not be an easy task. What has been announced is that you must gain XP by playing the game. There are no announced weekly chores so far, so this is probably going to be easier than Apex Legends, but you still must play actively to get the XP needed.

It's getting to the point that games are now demanding you to complete your chores rather than let you have fun at your own pace. Can you even play two games like this simultaneously? There is absolutely no way I could fit in a third game like this with yet another Battle Pass with possible time limited challenges. Is this fun any more?

its true this why I do not play those games no more

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Exploitative, what? That you get to have more stuff and challenges to do is exploitative? Have you tried, you know, just playing what you want for fun?

That's not really a retort is it. You're refusing to reflect on what behavioral loops systems such as these incentivize and instead deflect the issue. Yes, I play games for fun? That doesn't exist outside of the sphere of the economic drive behind these mechanics. I've also been pulled into no-lifing games like these to keep up with the grind. There's a meaningful discussion to be had here. No need to stifle it if you don't want to engage with the subject. I don't see how post-launch support necessitates battle passes and engagement traps. That premise doesn't ring true given how many multiplayer games used to subsist on different models in the past.

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agreed, I used to be a big multiplayer person but I can't remember the last MP game I really got into because of how terribly grindy everything has become. I was hoping Gears 5 would scratch that itch but it maybe has one of the worst progression systems I've seen.

It's just really sleazy and prioritizes keeping whales on board rather than keeping your fans consistently engaged.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
"Every" game has slowly been turning into EverQuest.

Friday December 27, 2002

"If you're reading this, you may be considering picking up EverQuest. Most likely you've heard from friends how great this "addictive" game is, how in-depth it can become, and how much fun you'll have playing it. As usual, however, you aren't getting the straight deal. So before you pick up that EverQuest box, let me tell you the other side of that euphoric story." The rest of Sanftenberg's excellent article is below.

Everquest is a game centered on rewarding you for how much time you put into it. This is the core design philosophy behind the game, since they charge you by the month and make more money the longer you stick around. What they don't tell you is that taking your money is about all they're interested in. They care little for player complaints, and less about player suggestions and requests. They're in this to milk you for all you're worth, and that's the first thing you have to know.

The second thing you have to know is that the game stops being fun. By that time though, you're so "addicted" to the game, you don't realize it. The game becomes a source of frustration and anger instead of a source of entertainment and fun. It becomes a chore. It becomes a job. You plod away at the keyboard, obsessed and consumed with getting that new item, or finishing that last quest, and while so consumed you begin to hate the game. Vehemently. It's a game that goes on forever, and one that you can never win.

After playing the game for a while, you'll start conversing with other players, and you'll see the one thing all players have in common is that they all hate Sony - the designers of Everquest. (It should be noted that Verant, the original development company, has been absorbed into Sony Online Entertainment -- so will be referred to as Sony for simplicity) This is baffling at first glance, because they send Sony $12.95 every month for a form of supposedly voluntary entertainment, which they enjoy, and yet they despise them! Look a little deeper though, and you'll see that most people who dislike Sony are the ones who no longer have fun playing Everquest. They aren't getting what they want out of the game anymore, and they look to Sony, being the source of all changes and improvements/breakdowns in the game, as the cause. Right or wrong, this is the state of affairs; the consumers hate the company providing them with a service that they think they enjoy.

Sony of course doesn't mind these situations in the slightest; because you see, this is their high-end game. Where in the lower levels you'll spend your time getting great items by fighting mobs that take seconds to prepare for and a minute to kill, at the high end you are required to spend multiple hours (sometimes up to twelve hours) with a "raid force" of 60 or more people just killing useless, annoying mobs (which drop little or no loot) put there as obstacles. Finally, when you reach the boss mob, the fight may last perhaps 30 minutes or more. This 30 minutes of combat is certainly not fun, as all you do is point your character at a mob and press a single button to auto-attack. Many melee-classes go watch TV for the duration of the fight. Your clerics (usually eight or more) cast the same healing spell in a long healing chain to keep your warrior alive, and your wizards all cast the same damaging spells for the 30 minutes of the fight. This is to kill a single mob (in this case, named Aten Ha Ra), which drops four items for your guild.

These situations are 'lovingly' referred to by the players as timesinks; gameplay traps intended to waste your time and keep you playing longer. There are hundreds of them; others incredibly longer than simply getting to a mob. Several quests required to advance in the game require you to spend 100+ hours sitting in single locations, killing hundreds of mobs in 12-hour stretches for a "rare drop", such as ore in the ssraeshza mines, which you use to create "bane" weapons; or the shissar commanders for key pieces; with which to fight the boss mob of the zone. Unlike the other parts of the game, these timesinks are required for advancement, and there is no getting around them unless you wish to stop playing. This is of course not fun at all, but as said above, by this time you'll have long stopped having fun with EQ. You'll do it anyway though, as thousands of others have, because you, like them, are addicted. The quest to kill the shissar Emperor of Ssraeshza is one of the most vicious timesinks in the entire game, but it is merely one example among dozens. To even reach this area of the game requires months of non-stop raiding with your guild; sometimes up to a year of raiding. Only then will you be powerful enough to enter.

Expansions to the game are put out about once per year. These cost around $30 to buy when released, and are required to visit new zones, gain new levels, and so forth. For anyone just entering the game now to be on equal footing with others, they will need to buy the original game and all four expansions at retail price. Of course, no expansion yet released by Sony has been complete when it hit the shelves. Often the final zone in the expansion would be left unfinished, or in such a state of bugginess that it was unplayable. Other zones will be incomplete or have bad pathing for the mobs. Items and monsters will not be "balanced" for difficulty, and players will sometimes stumble onto great equipment for their characters, only to have Sony later decide it is too powerful, and "nerf" it. When an item is nerfed, it's reduced in effectiveness or power, often to the point of absurdity, or it simply stops entering the game world. This rewards players who gun through the new expansion as fast as possible to get the upper hand over their competition on the server, and punishes anyone who cannot put 12+ hours of EQing in per day. The problems with expansions highlight another aspect of Sony which is decidedly underwhelming: their playtesting (or lack thereof). Many bugs in the new expansions are left for players to discover themselves and work around; fixes are often delayed by as much as a week while Sony tries to find a solution. In Everquest, you pay to be a bug tester, and receive no feedback or acknowledgement that any bugs you report are fixed, or even looked at, unless its fix shows up in a terse (bi-) weekly patch message. Most bugs are left unfixed due to their overwhelming numbers.

Everquest is a game full of people who want to "win" and "be the best" at any cost. This includes griefing you and your guild, making your gameplay miserable. Why not simply quit then, you ask? If the game isn't fun and sucks this badly, why would anyone play it? Well, because they are addicted. They are addicted to the mobs, to the loot, and to the social atmosphere with other people in their guilds. They have invested so much time in these characters (often hundreds of days of play time, sometimes more time than they spend at their jobs), that they can't will themselves to give it up. They play on instead, hoping things will get better, and nursing a great and deep hatred for Sony and the game itself. If you play long enough, you will see this as the universal truth. People who quit are viewed as giving up on their guilds; they are ridiculed, denounced, and hated. There is massive peer pressure to keep playing. Often people you thought were your friends in the game were simply using you to advance, or improve their characters. Online relationships between people in EQ are fickle, and are only good as long as everyone's getting a good dose of the drug (loot, advancement in the game, and good social relations with their guild).

Perhaps now you've begun to see the other side of EQ: The buggier side, the darker side; the side of despair and anger, fear and frustration. The game will absorb your life if you let it, while the days and weeks melt away into oblivion. I have barely touched on the repetitive gameplay you must endure to reach the top levels of the game: killing mob after mob, hundreds upon hundreds in an endless non-challenging stream to gain experience. I have not said anything about linkdeath (losing your connection) from Sony network problems, or server crashes where you lose any experience or items recently attained (and for which you are not compensated by customer service). I have not said anything about the Legends(TM) subscriptions, where you get to pay $40/month to get the customer service that you should be receiving anyway. There are many other problems with this game that I did not go into here. Before you get into EQ, realize what you're jumping into. Look before you leap.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be fine if it weren't for the "hey look you can buy levels for a humongous price just to not grind"
Now this is the really bad shit

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having to figure out what I need to buy in order to get the chance to get most out of a game is an instant turn off.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
How does this work with games like fortnite, destiny etc ? Only iterate through expansions ? Or never change the map/content in battle games ?

Not all games fit the model of the witcher or games in the old days like half life etc.
Because they're not designed to fit that model. We've had multiplayer games too in the past, going back to Quake in the 90s. And they didn't need to be a gaas.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Kind of, though it's really more like volunteer work that makes you pay for the privilege of doing it, and the people that are actually benefiting from your work are very likely all wealthier than you are.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What does a servicing model have to do with monetisation models? They are not 1:1.
I don't know, seems like every game that offers a "servicing" model happens to have battle passes/loot boxes/pay to win items/etc.

For F2P games, whatever. That's their way of guaranteeing profit I guess. Can't justify those terrible MTX models for $60 games though.
As I said, I'm all for support of a game post launch, but for something worthwhile. Look at last gen to see how it was done a bit better, mostly without making people addicted to spending their money in a game.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I was way into the Apex season 2 battle pass...until monster hunter iceborne was released. As long as the Battle Pass game is the sole game you play, they can be fun. Otherwise, yeah, it seems like a chore list you need to tackle before you play the game you actually want to play.

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
That's not really a retort is it. You're refusing to reflect on what behavioral loops systems such as these incentivize and instead deflect the issue. Yes, I play games for fun? That doesn't exist outside of the sphere of the economic drive behind these mechanics. I've also been pulled into no-lifing games like these to keep up with the grind. There's a meaningful discussion to be had here. No need to stifle it if you don't want to engage with the subject.

There definitely is a meaningful discussion to be had, like what are viable alternatives for games like these. Battle passes definitely are not perfect but at least you can clearly see what you paying for and its cosmetic. Would you prefer if you had the option to pay 10 quid and you got all the items unlocked straight away. Genuine question btw. Dev still gets money and you dont have to face the grind. Only issue he is with the people who either like the grind/level rewards or the people who like having items that others don't.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They exist so players have something to play for and spend more time on the game.

Those Battle Passes have the opposite effect on me. I'm playing less because I know that I can't get all of that stuff without spending a huge amount of time on ALL these games.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Yeah wanted to get the Battle Pass for Rocket League, but I'm afraid I'll feel that I have to play the game to make it worth it. So... no.
The Rocket Pass is one of the few passes, where you basically get the contents without work it you play the game here and there. And the challenges are very easy (win 3 times, play 10 matches with that topper, score 2 goals, say "Nice Shot" ten times et cetera).

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
They exist so players have something to play for and spend more time on the game.

Those Battle Passes have the opposite effect on me. I'm playing less because I know that I can't get all of that stuff without spending a huge amount of time on ALL these games.

I am the same, whats the opposite to carrot on a stick ? Parsnip on a stick ? No one likes parsnips right ?

Lord Radik

Dec 3, 2018
Man I just came here to post something to like this. Early MMO's had the monthly sub attached to it, and for a few of my friends this was a non-starter for them. I think my EQ sub in 2000 was $10 bucks a month and it went up incrementally seemingly each year. I remember bringing the game home and being shocked about the sub fee but for the amount of time I invested, it was cheap entertainment. Now there are subscriptions for everything-TV, movie tickets, shaving supplies, snacks, supplemental pizza insurance(oh it's gonna happen, folks!).

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had a shower thought the other day after having jumped from AC: Odyssey to Link's Awakening. Two games diametrically opposed on the spectrum of monetization.

Next-Gen platforms maybe should have an opt-in system-wide toggle to mute/hide all GaaS/addon monetization in games. Make it hard to find or whatever but having a feature that would just let you play a game as is without constant reminders that there is more to purchase / redeem / add! would be pretty neat.
Call it the Silence! toggle.

While playing AC:O I was left wishing for such a toggle that would simply mute or hide all the pop-ups, ads, reminders, icons, filters for various value-add GaaS things and leave me alone to simply play the game. The aforementioned slowed on-boarding down to a crawl and made me feel like I was walking through a shopping mall instead of staring up a game. (The game spends quite a bit of time letting you know of the numerous value-add expansions or passes it has on offer on a cold boot and also in-game with all the map filters for social/monetary vendors.

This was exacerbated when I moved to Link's Awakening that has zero of anything other than the game presented as is.

That said, I don't necessarily mind GaaS monetization (everything in moderation), but how this messaging is sometimes delivered to players could do with a sanity check.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually bought last season's Fortnite pass and never completed a single week of challenges. Only played for like two weeks and it really hit me how much I was playing just to tick boxes. Uninstalled it this season.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I'm all for more DLC after a game ships, but in most cases, I feel like it's less "Let's create new content and DLC people can buy!" and more "How can we ensure people play our games more and also get them to spend more than they would for normal DLC?" And thus nearly every online game has battle passes. I'd rather have a small package of cosmetic DLC which isn't too expensive rather than battle passes where your options are to repeat meaningless tasks for 50+ hours or pay a ton of money to instantly unlock all rewards.

sHitman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I don't even bother with this crap. All I understand is I buy something so I have to do quests or challenges to unlock things I paid for in the first place?

Old men yelling and all but I neither have the time for this nor the ambition. For me it's simply something I completely ignore.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing Warframe because of their implementation of a battlepass. To their credit it's free but it also locks some stuff previously obtainable other ways behind it and is the only way now to get some things worth having. I don't like attempts to lock me into a game so I pretty much stopped playing despite my affection for the game. When a game becomes work (Especially timed work like a battlepass) I lose interest very quickly.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
if that means designing your game as a one and done, fun experience where people do play (and keep playing) for the gameplay loop instead of forcing artificial manipulative grind inside (like insane requirement to unlock a scope or weapon which used to be there right away, passes or daylies) because you have to artificially maintain a playing populace to sell mtx, then yes, it's much better for the players.
Corporate bean counters looking for constant revenue can die in a fire.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I think those games look interesting, but I avoid them for that very reason. They want to trap you in their ecosystem, make you brand loyal, and extract as much money from you as possible. Fuck that.

Time to game is limited, I want something I can pick up and put down at my leisure.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The only Battle Pass that I have ever seen that asked a reasonable amount of time to get to max level is Red Dead Online's.

I'm shocked how good Red Dead's Battle Pass is.

It levels up with any xp you earn in the game. For doing anything. There are no specific challenges tied to filling it out, it just goes up as you play. And it goes up quick. It's 70 levels and I bought it 11 days ago and I'm at 66. It lasts until November 18. You get back all the gold that you spend on it. I'm really happy with it. Don't feel like I've had to work on it or change how I play the game. I've just played the game normally and it's ticked along and given me cool stuff and money back.