• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one do you prefer?

• Batman:Arkham Asylum

• Spiderman

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I liked Spider-Man PS4, I prefer batman: Arkham Asylum because the world feels so alive and the villains are so damn good.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Arkham Asylum is way better than Spider-Man. better atmosphere, better environment, better story.

Asylum is also the best Arkham game.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Spider-Man. That said, Arkham Asylum was (sub-)genre defining.

Edit: Wait, no, actually I think I preferred AA. Spider-Man holds happier memories for me though.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Spidey's stylish Focus attacks/takedowns are like Yakuza's Heat actions but more seamless with no camera cuts.

I love that.

Nov 8, 2017
AA had more of an elegant simplicity I feel. Spiderman tried to do too many things too quickly imo. The former was a lot more impressive in '09 than the latter was in '18.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'd take all three Rocksteady Batman games over Spider-Man (though Spidey is far and away my favourite superhero).

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Arkham Asylum was a nice game for its time, but Spider-man is on a completely different level to the whole Arkham series, which peaked in Asylum anyway, the open world ones never felt right.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The one with web-slinging and the much stronger story

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
That's really tough. It's Spiderman.

I thought AA was really good at the time but stealth is so lame outside of hitman and dishonored. The movement is really stiff but the combat is really loose and lacks impact. It's a product of being on the 360 so it's been awhile.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Arkham Asylum had a better debut, it was basically a Marvel that it was as good as it was and it was awesome that it turned out to be a 3D Metroidvania, something we didn't get much of at all when it released.

I prefer Spidey though, I think the more fun movement, snappier combat and story edge it out over Asylum's level design. I had a lot of trouble really enjoying Asylum again when returning to it in the last year and that's mostly just down to the fact that the moment-to-moment gameplay wasn't doing a lot for me.

May 15, 2019
Spider-Man combat felt like an awkward halfway between a normal combat system and Arkham's rhythmic and simplistic combat. Did not care for it at all, they should have gone one way or the other with it.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Where's the hyphen, OP?

Asylum is my favorite Arkham game, but I think Spider-Man still has it beat. I think the combat is better, the story is better, the traversal is better.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man.

Sure, Batman laid the foundation, but even in terms of using what they have and the story, Spider-Man does it better.

Especially since combo chains don't result in one hit knockdowns, which makes combos and mixing up tactics mid combo more fun.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had a much more positive reaction to the quality of Batman Arkham Asylum at its launch in 2008 than I did for Spider-Man in 2018 but I think I like Spider-Man more, and I think that's largely because I enjoy Spider-Man as a character more. They both have tremendous hits at representing qualities of the characters that I enjoy, but also both have weird new quirks. In Spidey's game, working with a direct communication channel to police was weird; in Batman, the last boss was super weird story-wise.

To elaborate a bit, in 2008 I didn't expect a great, polished take on Batman from a licensed game. In 2018 since Spider-Man was being developed by Insomniac, I had high expectations before, so the gap to be covered between expectations and reality was a lot less than Batman had in 2008. I had never heard of Rocksteady before in 2008, and admittedly I wasn't a fan of the gritty "Unreal Engine 3" esque visuals of Batman prior to playing it, but felt that it worked well once I actually did play it.

I voted Batman based on the question in the OP, though... Once again I did not read the poll question/the poll question did not line up with OP.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd put Arkham knight over Spider-Man, I'm currently playing the goty edition and it's brilliant.

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
AA and it's not even close. It redefined the genre, nailed the atmosphere, Kevin Conroy owns and Batman has the best rogue gallery imo. Spider man is still an awesome game though.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Arkham Asylum in a heartbeat. The revolutionary gameplay, the incredible atmosphere, superb level design and flow, the awesome voice acting and music, so many easter eggs and secrets sprinkled throughout the game.

Masterpiece for sure.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like spidey fine enough but there isn't anything that Arkham doesn't do much better than it. Even it's graphical fidelity is let down by a lesser art direction.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmm, lol.

Hard to say on this one.

Was gonna say Spider-Man just for the swinging and movement. But Batman felt like a tank in comparison, because he is, lol.

I refuse to choose. And you can't make me OP.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man is one of the best games of the past generation and infinitely replayable for me. I gotta be in the mood for Bats.

EDIT: I did NOT read that OP, and it definitely changes the dynamic. Batman had a crazy debut and really shook up the gaming landscape, but I feel like Spider-Man had this hype from beginning to end and it still wins, but by a smaller margin. Helps it's also the better selling game of the two.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I love the Arkham games and have beaten them many times but I think I prefer Spidey because its Marvel and Marvel > DC. I'm glad I don't have to actually choose this.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer spiderman but the game owes everything outside of the movement to Asylum. Not that it doesn't excel everywhere AA did too.

This will be a lot of which hero either prefer. City is probably the better comparison but for debut AA is the bigger deal, sales aside

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Spidey had a better story imo, but otherwise Asylum was insanely good for the time. Side content was a lot better too.

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That's a tough one,

Arkham AA slight > Spider-Man > City > Knight

If Knight didn't have the tank sections it would probably tie with Niche-Man.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I mean, without having played Spider-Man I can still say Arkham Asylum with some confidence just because it is not open world. I'm still sad City went in such a different direction. Huge step down.

I can also make an educated guess and say that I would like SMs story more, just because that was a bit of a mess in AA

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Spider-man easily. I felt little connection with any of the characters in the Batman games, the stories were more garbled and rather forgetable, and while Spider-man obviously took inspiration from the combat in those games, it was more fun.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I think considering the time of release and innovation for the time, I'd go with Batman. As much as I liked Spider-Man, it wasn't a huge surprise one way or another.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Between these two? Spider-Man, hands down, no contest.

Now if it were Arkham Knight we were dealing with it would be a much closer match-up. Heck, even City or Origins could potentially give Spidey a run for his money, although he would still edge them out.

But Asylum? It's good but overshadowed by its successors. Successors which Sider-Man had the benefit of building on.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Batman AA easily.

It created the blueprint for good superhero games. The same blueprint that Insomniac used for Spider-Man.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Pool question and thread title at odds with each other again, I see....

AA was the one that came out of nowhere and surprised everyone that a licenced comic-book game could be an industry leading title.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Arkham Asylum is a tighter experience thanks to the metroidvania level design. They made better use of the villains that they had available to them and honestly, everything about that game came together extremely well. The only issue that I had with Asylum was the wonky ending/final boss battle. I'm a huge Batman fan but Spider-Man is my favorite superhero. So with that in mind... I still prefered playing as Spider-Man even if the game wasn't quite as solid. The traversal and the combat in Spider-Man were just more fun for me. Better than Batman? Not necessarily. But swinging around New York as Spider-Man is always going to be more enjoyable than gliding around as Batman for me.

Asylum absolutely nailed the stealth/detective aspect of that character but the combat was more varied and enjoyable in Spider-Man. Perhaps most importantly... the story in Spider-Man hit me way harder. I'm so much more emotionally invested in that universe and those characters than I was in the Arkham universe. I think, judging purely from a game design perspective, Arkham Asylum was a stronger first outing. But it's not like Spider-Man isn't an excellent game in its own right. And so the Spider-Man fan in me tips the scales in his favor.