• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metroidvania or (2D) Zelda-like?

• Metroidvania

• (2D) Zelda-like

• Both!

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like these two templates are main stays of 2D exploration games and have been getting a lot of love from indies and small developers. So, I ask you Era, which of these two exploration adventure game styles you enjoy the most?

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, apart from view. I mean, A Link To The Past is structured a hell of a lot like a metroidvania, no?

Oct 25, 2017
You'll want to be clearer about whether you're drawing a distinction between side-scrolling and top-down perspectives (where the idea of a 2D Zelda-like would be something like Hyper Light Drifter—but Zelda II, oddly enough, wouldn't qualify), or between different types of structure, segmentation, and openness (where many games that are casually talked about as "Metroidvanias", like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, are substantially closer to Zelda's separation of overworlds and self-contained dungeon maps).

I tend to mentally separate them the second way, and prefer the Metroid school: full-scale backtracking and connectivity over a game that might be divided into zones, but still feels like a contiguous space, and which encourages you to traverse it accordingly.

There's too much design diversity and cross-pollination in this cluster of genres anyway for a separation to ever be clean. In some important respects, like character power progression, Metroid and Zelda (the official lines, I mean) have more to do with each other than Metroid does with the vast majority of so-called Metroidvanias.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Both kick ass. I'm happy to live in a world that has a plentiful amount of each of em!

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
You'll want to be clearer about whether you're drawing a distinction between side-scrolling and top-down perspectives (where the idea of a 2D Zelda-like would be something like Hyper Light Drifter—but Zelda II, oddly enough, wouldn't qualify), or between different types of structure, segmentation, and openness (where many games that are casually talked about as "Metroidvanias", like Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, are substantially closer to Zelda's separation of overworlds and self-contained dungeon maps).

I tend to mentally separate them the second way, and prefer the Metroid school: full-scale backtracking and connectivity over a game that might be divided into zones, but still feels like a contiguous space, and which encourages you to traverse it accordingly.

There's too much design diversity and cross-pollination in this cluster of genres anyway for a separation to ever be clean. In some important respects, like character power progression, Metroid and Zelda (the official lines, I mean) have more to do with each other than Metroid does with the vast majority of so-called Metroidvanias.
I think a bigger difference is the perspective. Metroidvanias tend to focus on plataforming challenges and the battle mechanics focused on jumping; while Zelda-likes have little to no jumping, so the challenges come from positioning and timing for puzzles and battles.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda is my favorite series, but there are barely any good similar games, especially not from the last 10 years.

Meanwhile, most of the best indies are metroidvanias, or close to being metroidvanias.

So the choice is very simple.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I love them both but I feel like there are a lot more good Metroidvanias than there are Zelda-likes. There are plenty of games that rival Super Metroid and SotN, but very few close in quality to the 2D Zeldas. Most games of that style don't attempt to replicate the blend of puzzles and combat in Zelda, and instead focus on one to the exclusion of the other. There's only really Crosscode and Alundra that get it right and still feel like they have an identity of their own, unlike Blossom Tales and Oceanhorn.

Aug 9, 2020
One distinction that came to mind is 2d Zeldas have dungeons that typically focus on one item/power up or concept. Metroidvanias seem to mix things up more, but not always.

My gut reaction to the OP is Metroidvania, probably bc I've played more of them.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
One distinction that came to mind is 2d Zeldas have dungeons that typically focus on one item/power up or concept. Metroidvanias seem to mix things up more, but not always.

My gut reaction to the OP is Metroidvania, probably bc I've played more of them.
I would say that Metroidvanias have zones that focus one one item/ability too, though.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
...Damn it OP, you should have let us change our votes

I picked "both" but in hindsight, I love "Zelda-likes" more. I love exploring.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I don't care for 2D Zelda likes as much as 2d metroidvanias tbh. But if it were 3D? Oh boy Zelda like would win, Darksiders 1 and 2 are top tier games and better than a lot of 3d metroidvanias

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I said both.

I have been really enjoying metroidvanias recently. But my GOAT 2D game is Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, and that's a 2D Zelda-like. I just wish there were more games like that.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't get why this is a hard question. Alundra, Blossom Tales, Ittle Dew, Hyper Light Drifter and 3D Dot are all zelda like.

It's not a hard question, though? I offered examples exactly like the ones you just mentioned. I just took issue with you calling A Link to the Past a "2D Zelda-like" because it's literally a 2D Zelda that directly inspired the creation of every game you're talking about. :P

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Metroidvanias are like 1 big dungeon
While 2d Zeldas have multiple smaller dungeons is how I see it