• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Please be aware that this is a technical thread and comments about how this doesn't matter to you aren't relevant to the topic at hand.

A very detailed look into the game's tick rate, both server side and client side. The game uses dedicated servers. Seems like the game sends updates to the server at almost 60hz pretty consistently, but the server responds at a tick rate of 20, but earlier in a match there's so much data to be sent that those 20hz ticks are broken up into multiple packets, so early on it looks like the server is sending packets at a faster rate even though updates are generated at 20hz.

The game uses a lot more bandwidth compared to comparable BR games. As such there's a lot more player-to-player latency compared to other games.

Zf2OAgy.png

As a result, this gives a massive advantage to players with higher ping, which is demonstrated later in the video.

Note that I think the game is great, and this is only to encourage Respawn to improve it. Overall I think it's a great achievement and feels great to play, but since it's so fast paced, there are moments where the netcode makes the game feel unfair as the player-to-player lag is so high and the compensation can make it feel unfair.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I love playing the game but admittedly there have been times where I swear my bullets are landing right on an enemy but not registering.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this why the game is sometimes really laggy during the first couple minutes of a match?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Strange when the source engine should have pretty good netcode.
But I guess it's a whole different beast when you do 64 players at once.

I see CS:GO sits at the bottom of that list in regards to latency.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Strange when the source engine should have pretty good netcode.
But I guess it's a whole different beast when you do 64 players at once.

I see CS:GO sits at the bottom of that list in regards to latency.

I'd say straining an engine built to handle small contained maps with a small amount of players is probably a way to make it perform worse.

It's really interesting to see how Valve handled this exact issue (ignore the title):

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'd say straining an engine built to handle small contained maps with a small amount of players is probably a way to make it perform worse.

It's really interesting to see how Valve handled this exact issue (ignore the title):

That's very fascinating.
So many tricks and workarounds, it must have taken a lot of dev work.

Respawn must have done lots of magic to get apex to work at all with the source engine!

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018

Does anyone know if titanfall/apex legends still uses BSP trees? It would be amazing if it did.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
That's very fascinating.
So many tricks and workarounds, it must have taken a lot of dev work.

Respawn must have done lots of magic to get apex to work at all with the source engine!

Yeah! It would be really interesting to see the difference in approach as to how different devs made the same engine solve this challenge. Netcode issues aside, Apex's approach is clearly better, but maybe they shot too high and there's a reason why valve chose the approach they did.

Does anyone know if titanfall/apex legends still uses BSP trees? It would be amazing if it did.

No idea, but probably? They had to do some sort of partitioning/culling. But because of this and what I said above, it would be super interesting to watch a GDC talk on this.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that lag is also what causes some of the gun sounds to be so messed up sometimes

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Okay, real question here.

What is the last FPS game with +50 players that didn't have some at least sorta little fucked up netcode thing going on. I'm starting to suspect we're just not there technologically and in terms of average internet speeds.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Okay, real question here.

What is the last FPS game with +50 players that didn't have some at least sorta little fucked up netcode thing going on. I'm starting to suspect we're just not there technologically and in terms of average internet speeds.

Well it's in the chart. Fortnite doesn't have anywhere near as much lag. Battlefield 1 doesn't either (although BF5 does have something weird going on).

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I have had more moments compared to other BRs where I wonder where the hell my shot went.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that only played extensively Overwatch, enemies very often look laggy/stuttery in Apex. So much so that I pretty much stopped trying to headshot from close range in a 1v1.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Don't think I've encountered issues with shots not registering much if at all.
I can pretty much tell when I'm missing my shots.

Although I do notice some lag right at the start of most match after dropping in. Might be related

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Look how far PUBG has come, better than Fortnite and close to BFV.
Apex will surely make progress as well. It'll just take time.