• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Batman's greatest love interest?

• Black Canary

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Batgirl

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Wonder Woman

Votes: 38 5.5%
  • Lois Lane

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Catwoman

Votes: 428 61.4%
  • Talia Al Ghul

Votes: 93 13.3%
  • Joker

Votes: 117 16.8%

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
How the TF does Batgirl even have votes at all? Who the hell seriously likes that relationship.

Also anyway since I grew up with Justice League, Wonder Woman. As people have said the dynamic of non-powered vs powered is interesting and they really were taken with each other. It's even implied in the Justice League Beyond comic she would've stayed with him if she didn't meet Justice Lords Batman and fall in love with him.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Talia because she fine as wine.

giphy.gif

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The guy took an orphaned kid, used the tragedy of the loss of his parents to train him to fight his war, dressed him up in brightly colored tights as a distraction while he took on hardened criminals, had a falling out with him, then replaced him with another troubled kid who ended up getting killed, then replaced him with a third kid whose dad dies as a direct result of him being Robin, then takes a fourth kid who dies by power drill (though thankfully Steph gets better).

I get what you're saying though, just pointing out that slandering him is not even close to how terrible he is as a father figure. :)
Sure, argue that he's a terrible father, but the facetiousness with which people sometimes talk about abuse of minors by their caretakers just rubs me the wrong way. I don't know if most people even really consider it abuse, since the kids aren't biologically his. Or because one of the kids is now an adult.

At the end of the day, the DC comics are a world where children and teenage sidekicks are a thing because publishers wanted to specifically cater to children and teenagers. So in universe, him being a sexual predator who grooms and sexually abuses children is leagues beyond what you mention. Same if we look at the story outside of its own narrative. Hyper competent child sidekicks or child superheroes are as much of a fantasy as an alien who can fly. Grooming and sexual child abuse, on the other hand, is far too real. After all, right now we currently have a thread on the former by people (within the comic book industry) and a thread on the latter about foster fathers.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off so strongly.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Sure, argue that he's a terrible father, but the facetiousness with which people sometimes talk about abuse of minors by their caretakers just rubs me the wrong way. I don't know if most people even really consider it abuse, since the kids aren't biologically his. Or because one of the kids is now an adult.

At the end of the day, the DC comics are a world where children and teenage sidekicks are a thing because publishers wanted to specifically cater to children and teenagers. So in universe, him being a sexual predator who grooms and sexually abuses children is leagues beyond what you mention. Same if we look at the story outside of its own narrative. Hyper competent child sidekicks or child superheroes are as much of a fantasy as an alien who can fly. Grooming and sexual child abuse, on the other hand, is far too real. After all, right now we currently have a thread on the former by people (within the comic book industry) and a thread on the latter about foster fathers.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off so strongly.

Like I said, I agree with you, but what Batman puts his sidekicks through is just as much abuse as sexual abuse, and it often results in death. It just strikes me as odd that we're more concerned about hinting about a sexual side of things and don't care that he's basically grooming them to be violent vigilantes who beat the snot out of criminals (which is also real).

Anyway, like I said, not to bring down the discussion of a homicidal maniac finding true love. :)

The true question is who should Diana have ended up with? Steve Trevor? Superman? Batman? Aquaman? Trevor Barnes?

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. I've tried to blockout the mental image of Batman/Batgirl for a while. Thx, OP.

And the answer is Joker. I only felt that way after playing Batman Arkham Origins years ago. The way Joker explains his fascination and almost love for Batman makes it sound like he'd do anything to get Batman-senpai to notice him.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say Heart of Hush, but Streets of Gotham follows immediately after and blends together for me.
Pretty sure you're right that it's Heart of Hush.
Like I said, I agree with you, but what Batman puts his sidekicks through is just as much abuse as sexual abuse, and it often results in death. It just strikes me as odd that we're more concerned about hinting about a sexual side of things and don't care that he's basically grooming them to be violent vigilantes who beat the snot out of criminals (which is also real).

Anyway, like I said, not to bring down the discussion of a homicidal maniac finding true love. :)

The true question is who should Diana have ended up with? Steve Trevor? Superman? Batman? Aquaman? Trevor Barnes?
Alright, not the thread to get into it. Although I will say, if it were up to me, superhero comics and media would be much less violent and gory. I find they're best when they are more fantastical and aimed primarily (but not exclusively) at children and teenagers.

Diana should definitely have her endgame love interest be from her own comic and universe, but I haven't read enough of her comics to know which of those is the best. As for the others: Superman is a hard no. Batman is good for a fling. Aquaman... honestly, I have a hard time getting who Arthur is in the comics, so no comment.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone but Superman or Steve Trevor.

Superman and Wonder Woman as a pairing is literally the height of moronic, surface-level, Comic Book Guy style nonsense. And Steve Trevor has been interesting exactly once and that was because he was being played by Chris Pine.

I do agree with Pau that Diana shouldn't get stuck with a prominent other character and it should be someone more from her sphere. So I guess that leaves either Tom Tresser or Cheetah.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized, if you define "Batman's greatest love interest?" as the person who is the best romantic match for Batman, then that's obviously Catwoman, but if you twist the question to say "Of Batman's many love interests, which one is 'the greatest'?" then that's obviously Wonder Woman. Or maybe Superman, but he's not one of the poll options.

Justice League Movie Batman:
"I don't... not like you... baka Superman!"

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I just realized, if you define "Batman's greatest love interest?" as the person who is the best romantic match for Batman, then that's obviously Catwoman, but if you twist the question to say "Of Batman's many love interests, which one is 'the greatest'?" then that's obviously Wonder Woman. Or maybe Superman, but he's not one of the poll options.

And if you define "which batman loves more" than the answer is obviously GOTHAM CITY
Batman is THIRSTY for that city
Batman wants to FUCK the city

Basically every single dark inner monologue he does on a gargoyle is about wanting to fuck a city

Oct 25, 2017
Bruce did make out with Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Beyond. That was fucking weird.

But my DC admiration mostly stems from Justice League/ Unlimited so I'll go Batman/ Wonder Woman.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It has to be Catwoman right? She's the only person that gets him.

I reject the bizarre Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman stuff. Bruce would have more romance with Clark Kent or Oliver Quinn

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Vicki Vale and Silver St.Cloud missing in the poll but it really does not matter as Talia Al-Ghul is the perfect match for Bats. They are similar in that they are both strong-willed characters saddled with "mommy and daddy" issues. Only Andrea Beaumont is comparable but outside of of the Dini/Timm-verse, she doesn't do much.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its Selina, no other relationship ever feels like it actually works, which i think is kinda the point.
like every other time its people earnestly trying to love bruce but hes just too much of a mess and they arnt enough of one,
Selina on the other hand gets it enough to understand him, but not so much that she isnt able to help either.

This was one of my fave movie scenes ever:

god that movie is so fucking good.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Talia I guess, but I like the whole concept of Selena as a hate/love good/bad interest way more.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Selina.

Talia made that little abomination Damian which I despise so fuck that.

True answer is Joker though.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Catwoman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talia>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Rest.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Bruce and Selina should've stayed married, but no, we can't have that because comics.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It happend in Batman: Son of the Demon which was considered non canon until Morrison re-conned(?) it. IIRC it was consensual.
Was consensual in Son of the Demon but Morrison changed it yeah. Bruce says that she drugged and raped him in Batman 656

wBpE5ce.jpg

There's another scene in Batman 666 with Damian as Future Batman describing his conception as love between his parents, which clearly isn't true and just something he's rationalised over the years lol

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
My knowledge of all interactions are not 100% and this is my personal opinion;
  • Black Canary - Didn't know this was a thing.
  • Batgirl - Bruce Timm pretty much started this with Beyond's slight nod, then cemented it with Beyond comic series and then Killing Joke. I honestly don't mind it as it could possibly happen but would never be anything more then a one night stand. But remember it only happened in Bruce Timm's DCAU.
  • Wonder Woman - Pretty much my top pairing as I grew up with Justice League and Unlimited tv show, they always had a good chemisty.
  • Lois Lane - Meh.
  • Catwoman - Being pushed like Spider-Man and Black Cat. It works, but there are so many curve balls to get them to that point, that honestly the relationship is just a struggle to appriciate.
  • Talia Al Ghul - Raped Batman to concive a child. She fine wine, but yeah pure psycho.
  • Joker - 10/10 Batman's boner. Like why else would you let him get away so much.
  • Zatanna - I see her more as his fling, they admire each other and love each other but can't be with each other.
  • Andrea - I think the DCAU made this the canon love interest that broke his heart.