• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
559310._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

784657._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I cannot compliment this comic universe enough. I have read comics for quite awhile and have read all the classics, long Halloween, hush, court of owls, etc. This series should be considered in that reign. Sean Murphy has completed two volumes so far with a third coming on the way and two spin offs. One that is currently on-going.

The general premise of volume one is Batman is viewed as the antagonist for going to far and Joker is viewed as the hero because he is reverting back to a sane person. Both volumes have eight issues and take risks with major characters dying or having different versions of themselves. I really love this series even though volume 2 wasn't as strong as volume 1 i'd highly recommend it.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Is this a new comic line and still going on?

Not familiar/follow with comics - I'm more movies/TV show type of guy.

Wish some of these comics would get a TV Movie equivalent...speaking of which they released a animated version of the Killing Joke right? Need to see it.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a new comic line and still going on?

Not familiar/follow with comics - I'm more movies/TV show type of guy.

Wish some of these comics would get a TV Movie equivalent...speaking of which they released a animated version of the Killing Joke right? Need to see it.
It's currently going on but it's more of a limited series, it started in 2017 and has 16 issues in the main series and then two spin off series. You don't need to follow any of the comic series but of course they do little nudges and Easter eggs to older comics.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I had the DC service and I gave it a read... it was really not good, and when I went into the DC thread asking about it, it seemed like most agreed at the time.

That said, I also read the long Halloween and thought, style aside, it was absolutely weak and not worth nearly the praise and recommendations I got for it... so use that as a barometer I guess.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It's currently going on but it's more of a limited series, it started in 2017 and has 16 issues in the main series and then two spin off series. You don't need to follow any of the comic series but of course they do little nudges and Easter eggs to older comics.

Ahh okay thanks!

Btw is that Bruce Wayne in the first shot? Who's the woman with him?

559310._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Sean Murphy doesn't make SJW batman that's my favorite thing about his landmark series White Knight.

For anybody who doesn't know Sean Murphy is one of those "not a comicsgater but #1 with comicsgaters" type of creator unfortunately

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
It's alright. I like Batman black and white. It's an anthology and it's good if you have a short pull week.

large-76194136980800111.jpg

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god no it's terrible writing. There's much better current Batman out there.

Nice art though.

Don't support this creator.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, cool, I haven't actually read a Batman story since Scott Snyder's run ended so it would be interesting to see where the character's been taken and-

Sean Murphy doesn't make SJW batman that's my favorite thing about his landmark series White Knight.

For anybody who doesn't know Sean Murphy is one of those "not a comicsgater but #1 with comicsgaters" type of creator
....and that immediately kills my interest.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I rolled my eyes so hard at the one part where it turns out that the same meds keeping Joker sane are also steroids that have made him super jacked and able of beating Batman in a fist fight so hard that I went blind.

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Not a comicsgator but all my friends are comicsgators

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Wait, you actually like Sean Murphy's writing? There's better Batman stuff being published at this very moment, even.

People unfamiliar with comics and seeing this thread, please just go read James Tynion IV's run on Detective Comics. That's from the past few years and excellent.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any story that created the Batman Devastation Fund deserves to rot.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
it's got a right-wing-ism in its title, y'all. i know funny books have cool pictures and stuff but sometimes you need to read a bit deeper and see the ghastly bullshit SGM's pushing for what it is.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone reading a comic: Haha this is fun, I want to share it with the site!

ComicsERA regulars:

fetchimage

(Nah fuck Sean Gordon Murphy though. For real, guy's a tool)

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
All im gonna say is that the plot only works if you assume this Batman has a smaller IQ than every other incarnation

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. This is all shit.

Want to read some cringe? Hint-remember that he's close with Comcisgate.
oAgc6z.jpg

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
This is really bad, the writer dumbs down Batman so much just to make Joker have a point.

Also, Sean Murphy is "#1 with comicgate" so he been blacklist from my pull since forever.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you actually like Sean Murphy's writing? There's better Batman stuff being published at this very moment, even.

People unfamiliar with comics and seeing this thread, please just go read James Tynion IV's run on Detective Comics. That's from the past few years and excellent.

Wise words as always.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
lol this is starting to feel like a dogpile. Sorry OP but some of us feel strongly about the book. (Maybe it is clouded by what we know of the writer outside of the book.)

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the anti progressive Harley stuff in the first White Knight between the two Harleys (because SGM hates modern Harley and split her into classic and current characters.. Then he turned the current one into Neo Joker who evil). He's so transparent

This is his opinion on current Harley delivered by classic Harley while attacking her.

"You, you left"

"and now I'm taking him back"

"he needs..."

"A violent cheerleader with a bigger rack? I don't think so... And don't even get me STARTED on the clothes ... Kind of a step back for feminism

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The book is crap without knowing anything about him

Nah I'm with whatsinaname. I think the book is garbage but it's just a comic made by a douchebag.

If y'all wanna call out SGM for associating with the scum of the Earth then that's cool, but this ultimately is a thread about someone wanting to share something they liked. We got our jokes in and that's fine, but we should back off before it just ends up a dogpile on the OP.

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'm with whatsinaname. I think the book is garbage but it's just a comic made by a douchebag.

If y'all wanna call out SGM for associating with the scum of the Earth then that's cool, but this ultimately is a thread about someone wanting to share something they liked. We got our jokes in and that's fine, but we should back off before it just ends up a dogpile on the OP.

That's cool and all but it's a book that pushes their ideals.

Not one of my posts here were a joke
I don't think White Knight is a joke. Op is free to recommend it just as I am free to point out all the gross shit in the book.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Murphy is a great artist but dear God his writing is atrocious. To say nothing of being a self insert story that honestly just has no real appeal. Add to the list his CG associations and overall insulated view of himself, I cannot recommend this title to anyone.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Good artist, bad writer. Dude kind of sniffs his own farts as well. I would not put it anywhere near a classic like Long Halloween.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Trash writing by a trash artist. Maybe the worst Batman story ever. Avoid it at all costs unless you're just interested in how bad Batman can get.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I read the first couple issues way back when it was first coming out and I thought it was dreadful. SGM turning out to be as much of a toll as I'd assumed from the writing did not help mattes, lol.

Filthy Slug

Oct 25, 2017
He draws good but is fucking dumb, in person and in his writing. There are aspects of the book that may have been decent with a different writer.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Art looks amazing but I've heard bad things about the writing too. Dude seems like a really talented artist tho.

Reminds me a bit of Jocks batman work for Snyder.