• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh... I do not like the animation style at all compared to Tim Sale's work (which is my fave depiction of Joker too, he's just so grotesque).

I'm sure I'll get over it, as I love the story, but I feel like it's already lost something looking so... straightforward.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
The most memorable thing about The Long Halloween to me is the iconic purple catsuit and art of Catwoman. Fuck all that I guess lol

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Adapting these things and not trying to retain the art style is pretty dull.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Art style looks great to me even though it's not the original one. I'm interested based on the trailer.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The killing joke was a massive disappointment for me. I do not have high expectations for this one.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This doesn't really look like The Long Halloween art wise. Like the most memorable thing about that story was the art.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't with this DC Animated movie art style, it saps all of the character out of these stories.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Hush movie was bad, but also I think the Hush comic is bad and only good for the art, so not a good choice anyway.

Jensen does a decent Batman voice apparently so I'm in for this. Animation is a choice but I don't immediately hate it.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I assume that this run of new DC movies will connect at some point and be a shared universe. They're all using the same art style so far.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
What would be the closest example of the original comic's art, but animmated?

Courage the Cowardly Dog?

d19676dc4bab9d1c8be6e0307b5aa760.jpg
latest

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The only DC Animated movies I've enjoyed at all are the ones that tried to capture the art style of the source material (New Frontier, All Star Superman, Year One). Tim Sale's art is the only reason Long Halloween works as a story, so the generic art style seems like an especially bad choice.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Being a two-parter does give me some confidence. Dark Knight Returns is one of the better adaptations and benefited well from being split into two films. Also leaves me optimistic they don't make story changes like in Hush.

The animation is what it is, these things are done on a budget and you can only do so much. Jensen's Batman voice sounds pretty good judging by the trailer.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Jensen actually does a pretty good Batman. I was expecting him to sound like Jason Todd again so I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Art style is a bummer, cause if you're going to do TLH you should do it in the Sale style, but I'm sure it'll still be fine.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Being a two-parter does give me some confidence. Dark Knight Returns is one of the better adaptations and benefited well from being split into two films. Also leaves me optimistic they don't make story changes like in Hush.

The animation is what it is, these things are done on a budget and you can only do so much. Jensen's Batman voice sounds pretty good judging by the trailer.

This is my hope too. After hearing all the bad stuff about Hush and TKJ I didn't even bother watching them or Red Son (which I haven't really heard anything about at all, but can't imagine they did well with going by the recent adaptation track record). I really enjoyed these films until the did their own universe too.

Admittedly either Gods and Mosters or TDKR were the last ones I watched and I loved those.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, of the animated Batman movies I've seen so far they've been mostly middling, so I can't say I've too much hope with them in general anymore

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my hope too. After hearing all the bad stuff about Hush and TKJ I didn't even bother watching them or Red Son (which I haven't really heard anything about at all, but can't imagine they did well with going by the recent adaptation track record). I really enjoyed these films until the did their own universe too.

Admittedly either Gods and Mosters or TDKR were the last ones I watched and I loved those.

Red Son was pretty solid.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batman animated movies seem to be 50/50 chance of being good lately. We'll see, but I dig the animation and art at least. Just don't go do another "creative decision" and have Batgirl have sex with Batman or some dumb shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I actually like the art style for this film a lot. And I say that as someone who personally ranks The Long Halloween as the best Batman story.

Obviously it's not a direct 1:1 of Tim Sale's art style, but the influences are absolutely there (the jawlines, shoulder builds, Joker's teeth and suit). It looks like the team making this opted to go for a "Sale meets BTAS" style with the Man of Tomorrow/Justice Society filter on over it. And if this film is set in the same ongoing DC animated universe as Justice Society and Man of Tomorrow, I can get why they maybe opted to not go all in on emulating Sale's style.

Also Jensen Ackles sounds great as Batman here. Looking forward to seeing the whole film.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Red Son was pretty solid.

Oh it was? I'll pop it onto my watchlist then. All those animated movies being on HBO MAX is tempting but with the actual DCAU on the same service it's hard to justify jumping in on a lot of them.

Although clearly I'm out of the loop because I want that Justice Society movie badly.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The only DC Animated movies I've enjoyed at all are the ones that tried to capture the art style of the source material (New Frontier, All Star Superman, Year One). Tim Sale's art is the only reason Long Halloween works as a story, so the generic art style seems like an especially bad choice.

New Frontier was really fuckin good even with all the cuts for time and the slightly changed ending.

/edit not a terrible trailer

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
The upcoming Justice Society movie also shares the same animation style

It's interesting that it sounds like they've attempted to give Wonder Woman an Israeli accent similar to Gal Gadot here. I've suspected that she would have a big influence on depictions of the character going forward so that's cool to see. The big question now is if they will ever give her a more olive skin tone in line with Gadot as well?

As for The Long Halloween, it looks okay. I'm not sure how I feel about Ackles as Batman but that may be because I'm way too familiar with him from Supernatural. So I can only hear Dean Winchester doing a Batman voice.